An overheated heating and air-conditioning motor in a second-floor ceiling led to the evacuation of Julian Middle School Tuesday morning.

Teachers and students were already out of the building when fire units arrived around 8 a.m.

“The maintenance staff knew exactly where it was and directed us to it,” said Battalion Chief Mike Neris. “There was just a little smoke and a light smell.” Neris said workers were replacing the defective motor late Tuesday morning.

-Bill Dwyer

Join the discussion on social media!