Andrew Kopan, 82, activist, teacher and scholar
Andrew T. Kopan, 82, of River Forest, died on July 1, 2006 at Westlake Hospital in Melrose Park.
Though he was exempt from service because he had three older brothers, Dr. Kopan enlisted at age 18 in the Coast Guard during World War II. He was sent home after being injured in the South Pacific. He later graduated from DePaul and Northwestern universities and received a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago before joining the faculty of DePaul University, where he taught the history and philosophy of education from 1968 to 1994. When he retired, he was awarded DePaul University’s highest faculty honor, the Via Sapientiae (Way of Wisdom) Award, for his outstanding teaching, service and leadership. The university established the Andrew T. Kopan Senior Honors Leadership Award two years later.
Dr. Kopan has published over 3,000 articles in the print media, written 300 monographs and journal articles, and authored 16 books. Among them are Education and Cultural Pluralism (1970); Rethinking Urban Education (1972); his prize-winning chapter in Ethnic Chicago: A Multicultural Portrait (1977, 1981, 1984, 1995); “The Greek Press in America” in The Ethnic Press in the United States (1987); Education and Greek Immigrants in Chicago 1892-1973 (1990); and “Multicultural Education” in Dictionary of American Immigration (1990). His most recent contributions appeared in Women Building Chicago 1790-1990 (2001) and the entry “Greeks” in the recently published Encyclopedia of Chicago (2004).
A life-long faithful Orthodox Christian?#34;one of the founders of the Pan-Orthodox CEYOLA and GOYA youth groups in the 1940s and ’50s?#34;he served as national president of GOYA. He also attended the World Parliament of Religion as a delegate of the Greek Orthodox church. As an articulate supporter of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople (Istanbul, Turkey), writing extensively in defense of its prerogatives as a world religious center, he was honored by the late Patriarch Demetrios with the special title, “Teacher of the Nation,” as an Archon of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and member of the Order of St. Andrew.
He was one of the founders and the first president of the Hellenic Museum of Chicago and served for 15 years as principal of Koraes Elementary School.
Dr. Kopan also served as a commissioner on the River Forest Traffic and Safety Commission for over 10 years and was one of the founding board of directors of the SOS Children’s Village in Lockport, a charity that allows 4-10 girls and boys who have lost their parents or cannot live with them to live together permanently with a child care professional, their SOS mother, in a family home.
Andrew Kopan is survived by his wife, Alice; his sisters, Virginia (the late James) Drousias and Demetra (Marinos) Tripodis; his brothers, Gus (the late Estelle) and George (the late Sophie) Kopan. He is also survived by his sister-in-law Kay (the late Dr. Chris) Kopan, nieces and nephews, and cousins.
The funeral was held on July 8, at Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Chicago, followed by interment at Elmwood Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center (A.T. Kopan Special Collections Fund), 801 W. Adams St. Chicago 60607, or DePaul University Library Special Collections (A.T. Kopan) c/o DePaul University Development, One East Jackson Blvd. Chicago 60604.
Jan Newell, 65, teacher, paint store owner
M. Janet “Jan” Newell, 65, died on July 4, 2006, at her home in Oak Park. Born on Dec. 30, 1940 in Oak Park, the daughter of the late Richard and Margaret (Evans) Williams, Ms. Newell was a graduate of the Oak Park and River Forest High School Class of 1958, later graduating from Northern Illinois University. She earned her master’s degree in elementary education at the University of Wisconsin.
On Aug. 22, 1964, She married Peter Newell in Oak Park, with whom she owned and operated the Badger Paint Store in Ft. Atkinson, Wis. from 1971 to 2000. A first grade teacher at the Rockwell Elementary in Ft. Atkinson for 25 years, retiring in 1999, she was also a member of the First Congregational United Church of Christ.
Mrs. Newell is survived by her husband, Pete; her son, Richard “Rick” of Madison; her daughter, Sandra (Perry) Amadon of Wales; her grandchildren, Ally, Carly, and Grace Amadon; her sister, Ann Williams of Oak Park; and many beloved nieces and nephews.
Funeral services were held on July 10 at the First Congregational United Church of Christ in Ft. Atkinson, the Rev. Chris Buckingham-Taylor officiating, followed by interment at Evergreen Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, or to Unity Hospice of Green Bay.
Bernice Clarke, 88, OPRF graduate
Bernice A. Clarke, 88, of Oak Park died on July 9, 2006 at the Claremont Nursing Home in Buffalo Grove. Born on April 18, 1918 in Chicago to David and Margaret Hedberg, Mrs. Clarke was a graduate of Oak Park and River Forest High School. She was a 51-year resident of Oak Park.
Mrs. Clarke is survived by her children, Irene (James) David, Kathleen (Gerald Beroldi) Valek, Michael D. Clarke of Oak Park and Margaret (Mark) Krueger; her seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husbands, Frank J. Helle and Robert J. Clarke, and her brother, David M. Hedberg.
Visitation will be held July 13 from 3 to 9 p.m. at Drechsler, Brown & Williams Funeral Home, 203 S. Marion St., Oak Park. Funeral Mass will be celebrated July 14 at St. Edmund Church at 9:30 a.m., followed by interment at Queen of Heaven Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, 1232 22nd St. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20037-1292 or the Arthritis Foundation, 29 E. Madison, Suite 500, Chicago 60602 are appreciated.
Fred Ludwig, 90, Fenwick class of ’33
Fred J. Ludwig, 90, died on July 6, 2006 in Byron. Mr. Ludwig, a 50-year resident of Oak Park, was born on August 2, 1915 in Jersey City, N.J. In 1929, Mr. Ludwig and his family moved to the Chicago area, where he was part of the first four-year class to attend Fenwick High School in 1933. In 1939, he married his late wife, Mildred Hodge. Mr. Ludwig served in the U.S. Navy during World War II on active duty. In 1949, he and his wife moved to Oak Park, where they raised four children on Carpenter Avenue. He was very active in the community, volunteering his time both at Ascension Church and Oak Park Hospital.
Fred Ludwig is survived by his children, Fred, Mary Jo, Louise, and Kenneth; 15 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; and his sister, Rita Antoinette Barr.
Visitation was held July 9 at Drechsler Brown & Williams Funeral Home, Oak Park. A Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated July 10 at Ascension Church, followed by internment at Queen of Heaven Cemetery, Hillside.
Memorials should be sent to Ogle County Hospice, 421 Pines Road, P.O Box 462, Oregon, Ill. 61061.
?#34;Compiled by Jennifer Klein
and Elena Levenson