By Sarah Corbin
There is a whole slew of things that we need to accomplish before we bring in the New Year on Sunday. In addition to checking out some fun products locally (these are just three examples) we have to do some things to get our house in order so that we can have a lucky 2013, the year of the water snake.
1. Clean your house. Cleaning makes your home ready to bring in good luck in the new year.
2. Decorate your house. Use red and the number 8 both signifying good luck in Chinese culture.
3. Offer a sacrifice to the Kithen God. (am I saying that right?) I think this means you need to get some fruit in your kitchen or bake a big meal.
4. Have a traditional meal on the eve. (Saturday) Serve rice to ensure harmony, red chile's for good luck, and radishes for longevity. And if you are making a traditional meal - you should invite me over. I'm happy to usher in some good luck with you.
5. Treat others well and avoid quarrels. (Something we should practice everyday) But especially around new year because bad attitudes can bring bad luck.
6. Visit family. Like any holiday, Chinese New Year is a time to visit and enjoy family. Traditionally people bring red envelopes filled with coins. Angpau I think they are called.
7. Set off firecrackers. (Well do something small that is legally allowed in our village)
8. Go to a parade. The parade is actually February 17 at 1pm in Chinatown. So get it on the calendar.
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|