Magazine names Oak Park top town for families

By Anna Lothson

Oak Park has been named as one of the Top 10 Best Towns for Families by Family Circle magazine in its most recent edition.

The quality of schools, amount of green space, along with characteristics like Oak Park's "diversity and progressive spirit," were named as reasons that put it in the top 10. Oak Park's "big-city amenities with village charm" that boasts dozens of art galleries, studios and theater companies were reasons noted by residents in the article.

The cities in the list were chosen with the help of Onboard Informatics, a New York City research firm that provides real estate, demographic and other data. Family Circle assembled a list of 3,335 cities and towns with populations between 11,000 and 150,000 people. The list was narrowed to 1,300 towns that have a high concentration of households of median incomes between $55,000 and $96,000.

From that narrowed down list, it was researched which towns met the criteria deemed family friendly by the selection group. This included affordable homes, quality homes, quality schools, access to health care, green space, low crime rate and financial stability. From this list, Oak Park rose to the top 10.

Contact:
Email: anna@oakpark.com Twitter: @AnnaLothson

Mares

Posted: July 11th, 2012 11:56 AM

@ Somebody had to have paid somebody. I believe there was a typo. It was suppose to have read "Top 10 Best Towns for Pigeons".

Somebody had to have paid somebody

Posted: July 11th, 2012 11:27 AM

With the cons must state pro's-Nice trees, SOME intellectuals, beautiful to walk around, cozy looking, historic, art, more local kid/adult activities one could ask for, short distance from the city, NE feel, good food, train, park district. Anyway-like every place it has it's pros but I would NEVER put this in the top ten had I immersed myself. There are such nicer places in the country. SO MUCH BETTER. It's not safe here either-OP is an evil illusion, i'll be glad to move to the lake.gotta move

Somebody had to have paid somebody

Posted: July 11th, 2012 11:17 AM

Lease is up soon, I'm out.Married men here are pigs. Schools are better?Really?Cheating scores,schools with blacktops,high OPRF'rs. North OP talkin here? You love OP you put up with the b.s. This is the "played the game of life formula w/a twist."Husband & wife(happy or not,)kids (adopted or allergies-WAY BETTER) MOM must know how to nod & pretend to play nice. Dad must make lots o' $ & can't care your kids are ill-behaved. OP-best place to learn how to be a phony & succeed. God was I blinded!

Somebody had to have paid somebody

Posted: July 11th, 2012 11:03 AM

"Diversity"-we're glad to have you but we won't associate with you.We don't know you have a masters we DO know you live in apt & are a single mother, my husband will talk to you he knows I'm just a gold digging airhead. The affair thing is true & rampant. Horrible local govt.Parking every 3 months for 175-awesome!My kid is better than your kid mentality-awesome! We eat only organic if you don't we can't play-awesome! SAFE! HAHA! This place is an illusion. When did elitism come to mean diverse?

No Longer Good Enough to be from Oak Park

Posted: July 10th, 2012 5:25 PM

I've lived here over 20 years. In the last ten years, my property taxes have gone up 240%, from a managable amount to a burdensome amount. I find it both amusing and unsettling how some Oak Parkers can talk about diversity on the one hand while showing the door to those for whom the ever climbing taxes are a greater challenge with the other.

george mcgeorge

Posted: July 10th, 2012 1:48 PM

I love Oak Park and think we live in the best community in the world. I pay my taxes with joy because being around such smart people has been very helpful. I have lived in many other towns and nothing beats Oak Park. I can walk to therapy, and get good food at the farmers market. I can buy a cell phone from many places and dont have to worry about bars. I can get free books at the library and I get almost everything for free because of the generous aid programs available in Oak Park.

OPRFDad

Posted: July 10th, 2012 10:21 AM

"diversity and progressive spirit" - great more liberals on the way ready to spend everyone else's money on frivolousness. OP is a great place to live, but for what we pay in taxes, our schools should be top 10, not top 100, and our facilities should be much better. Compare Ridgeland Common to the Oak Brook Pool - our taxes are much higher, but they aren't spent wisely. Take for example the school referendum - the district has so much money it tears out playgrounds even when they don't need it

Bajeeb Bari

Posted: July 9th, 2012 8:51 PM

Oak park is not only the best place to live, but the best place to have an affair according to recent media.

maggy

Posted: July 9th, 2012 7:28 AM

I have lived here for 34 years, so everyone I have seen a few changes here, especially taxes.

Bobbie from Oak Park

Posted: July 8th, 2012 7:57 AM

No surprise -- this confirms my belief that OP is the greatest...and the taxes pay for the best of everything -- most of all our schools and recreational facilities. Stop complaining and start enjoying all that OP offers -- go to Lake Theatre, Open Door, Festival Theatre, and our symphony.

The Best PR Our Taxes Can Buy from OP

Posted: July 7th, 2012 1:51 PM

It's wonderful recognition. The best PR our tax dollars could buy....how much did we pay the agency to get this done? Whatever it was, it was probably less than the stupid brick pavers and provided far more value....now, if we can just get lots of people to believe it, ignore the ridiculously high taxes, and move here!!

Kara Keller

Posted: July 7th, 2012 6:34 AM

What a wonderful recognition of an amazing place to live! Being so close to the city but yet having this urban suburb of progressively minded citizens is such a bonus for our family.

Marie Perkins

Posted: July 6th, 2012 6:26 PM

@KimCostello, I couldn't agree with you more.

Kim Costello

Posted: July 6th, 2012 2:24 PM

I find it hard to believe that you didn't know about the taxes before you moved here.Good schools and great community= higher taxes. ou get what you pay for. I love Oak Park. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Beth Puccinelli from Oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2012 1:40 PM

BlaaaahhhhHaaaaaahaaaahaaa. What a joke!

Patricia O'Shea

Posted: July 6th, 2012 12:46 PM

Good for Oak Park. This is cool.

Ralph

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:01 AM

I always loved that Family Circle comic in the Suntimes...

Really?

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:58 AM

Maggy, the article forgot to mention that some people here can't hear anything positive without bringing everyone else down. Maybe next time they will rate the most entitled population in the USA and you can complain about that as well. Congratulations to Oak Park!

maggy

Posted: July 5th, 2012 8:13 PM

Did the magazine happen to mention the taxes here?

Find a garage sale near you!