Whittier wins again in Tasty Dog Challenge

By Terry Dean

Staff reporter

(Courtesy Renee Domenz)

Whittier Elementary School was the winner of The Tasty Dog Challenge for the second year in a row, earning roughly $1340 for their school this year, as well as a Spirit Desk made by Hero in the Hallway ($3000 value and part of a national anti-bullying program). Longfellow came in second and Irving was third. The overall total raised for the elementary schools this year was $7,067.99, more than doubling that of last year's total.

Placement was based on how much money each school was able to raise for its PTO on its designated day at Tasty Dog. The restaurant gave 15 percent back to the school on its designated day from the sale of everyone's meal who came out to support that particular school.

Each school could also sell drawing ticket for such donated prizes as Bulls Playoff tickets, an NBC 5 tour and broadcast view with Lisa Parker, and autographed sports items.

The combined total of money raised through last year's and this year's Tasty Dog Challenges adding up to $10,400 for the PTOs.

Contact:
Email: tdean@wjinc.com

Holmes Parent

Posted: April 28th, 2011 12:10 PM

I am proud that Holmes PTO did not hustle Tasty Dog to the children/parents. Advertising for a business is not acceptable during school hours. When does the marketing stop? Way to go Holmes School!

OP

Posted: April 27th, 2011 1:52 PM

Our school got around $900, and all I had to do was take my kids out to lunch. I'm happy.

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: April 27th, 2011 1:51 PM

@CORRECTION, obviously the two fundraisers in tandem are the best option, since the raffle tickets were sold at the Tasty Dog challenge.

CORRECTION

Posted: April 27th, 2011 12:24 PM

In fact, this year the Tasty Dog challenge generated $3183 for the PTOs - LESS than last year. The $1 raffle earned the PTOs $3885. 22% more from the raffle - and doesn't involve fast food. HMM, what's a better fundraising option?

localop_sarah from Oak Park

Posted: April 26th, 2011 9:06 AM

@ David, blech (grins) - that is so gross to look at and I like burgers. . .LOL. I suppose the conversation needed some brevity though . . . Here is where I ring in: I love to see a fund raiser that develops a sense of community spirit for businesses that are really trying to maintain a place in an ever changing community.

David Hammond from Oakpark.com/Dining/Blogs

Posted: April 26th, 2011 8:26 AM

Turkey burger? I appreciate Ron Swanson's perspective: http://eater.com/archives/2011/04/25/the-ron-swanson-turkey-burger.php

PTO parent from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: April 24th, 2011 11:04 PM

Plus, TD has a lot more than hot dogs and fries, if you want something healthier. They make a damn good turkey burger--that's what I always get!

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: April 23rd, 2011 11:53 AM

To the person who continues to complain about having the fundraiser at Tasty Dog. When parents spend money at Tasty Dog, or other fundraisers, they get something for their money, in this instance, food and social activity. It's called an incentive. If I just send a check to the PTO, I don't get to enjoy the other benefits that come with a fundraiser. Duh. Also, I don't know what school district you are referring to as having an overweight population of over 80%, but it ain't ours.

OP Parent

Posted: April 23rd, 2011 11:18 AM

And oops, I am the author of the previous post and didn't see the post immediately before (OP parent) had the same name! I guess I have to get more creative.

OP Parent

Posted: April 23rd, 2011 11:09 AM

My kids aren't overweight, and looking around my kids' school, I don't see many, if any, overweight kids. There are plenty of offerings at Tasty Dog that don't include hot dogs. Even so, a hot dog or burger every now and then isn't going to kill anyone. Balance in everything. That said, the best thing about this fundraiser was seeing fellow classmates in a social situation, and like it or not, food is social. I think that's good. Thanks to all who donated.

OP parent

Posted: April 23rd, 2011 9:32 AM

Hey WTF Most fundraisers involve FOOD, not donations...that's why they are called "FUND-RAISERS". You better get the Market Day people and Jewel grocery stores too...I hear they have been buying AND consuming some junk food from both! Forget the complainers..they always come out of the woodwork after someone else has done something worthwhile..Thank you to everyone who helped make this fundraiser so great! Schools,

WTF-OP

Posted: April 22nd, 2011 3:17 PM

Why didn't the parents and kids just donate the $$ to the PTO directly instead of spending it at Tasty Dog. That's $50,000 folks! Duh! The parents and the administration should be called out for encouraging and teaching this type of wasteful consumption to our children. Then we wonder why 80% of the administrator, teachers & parents are over weight and more of our kids are also over weight! Sweet Jesus, someone just shoot me to avoid more of this insanity!

RD from Oak Park

Posted: April 22nd, 2011 2:15 PM

Thank you to the other generous local businesses who also donated cash prizes and other prizes to the schools through the Tasty Dog Challenge! Gloor Realty, Community Bank of OPRF, SunStar Dental, Austin Music Center, Bob Heilman of Airoom, NBC5's Lisa Parker, Tennis & Fitness Centre, Radio Flyer, Oak Park Art League, Productive Displays, Circle Bowl. Also, thank you to the Bulls, Chris Chelios, Steve Green Photography.

Peter T

Posted: April 19th, 2011 4:41 PM

I agree too. I heard McDonalds has a lunch program and fundraising opportunities also. Maybe a burgers vs. hot dogs?

Parker

Posted: April 18th, 2011 11:03 AM

I agree. It was nice to see classmates at Tasty Dog on the School's "day." Usually everyone is so busy, it was nice for the kids to run into school friends they don't always get a chance to chat with. Plus, even though our school didn't win, Tasty Dog gave quite a bit of money to our school. Even though it wasn't an "official" fundraiser, it is one of our most successful. And best of all, I didn't have to do anything but get the kids to the hot dog stand. Thanks, Tasty Dog!

Irving parent from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: April 18th, 2011 10:38 AM

I'm with Carol--everyone benefited from this one, and the kids had a blast having a night out with their families and many of their friends. Kudos to Tasty Dog's owners for a fun event that raised so much money for the PTOs, which need those funds so much right now. Other OP businesses should take a lesson from them!

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: April 17th, 2011 3:12 PM

To: OP Parent. Well, yeah, the idea is that the restaurant benefits, and the schools benefit, the kids have a great time, the parents don't have to cook for a night, and everyone's happy. What's the problem with that?

WHY

Posted: April 17th, 2011 1:42 PM

The profit margin for restaurants is fairly low. Tasty Dog gave the schools a huge chunk of their profits. And many of the local restaurants approach the PTOs (Tasty Dog did not) for this sort of fundraisers and offer nowhere near this share of their profits.

OP Parent from Oak Park

Posted: April 17th, 2011 11:42 AM

Approximately $50,000 spent to raise $7,000. Tasty Dog cost of approximately 10% of sale put them at $5,000 in cost plus $7,000 donated is about $12,000 spent to obtain around $38,000 profit. Great fundraiser for Tasty Dog! NOT the schools.

ReginaR from Oak Park

Posted: April 16th, 2011 10:29 AM

It was such a fun event! Thanks to the organizers, this is a great thing for the school!

South OP Ralph

Posted: April 16th, 2011 8:40 AM

Haha, Whittier is fat.

KrisG from Oak Park

Posted: April 16th, 2011 8:35 AM

Hurray for Whittier! Although I joked about feeling the cholesterol hitting my arteries, I have to admit it was a really fun time--a combination indoor/outdoor school picnic.

parent

Posted: April 16th, 2011 6:23 AM

It is too bad that Holmes School didn't participate. I guess being "healthy" is more important than "for the kids".

TanyaC

Posted: April 15th, 2011 11:56 PM

GO WILDCATS! Big thanks to the parent organizer. Super Job!

Carol from Oak Park

Posted: April 15th, 2011 4:41 PM

Congratulations Whittier! And congratulations and thanks to Tasty Dog and its fantastic employees, who did a great job getting everyone served, and putting up with some very energetic Whittier kids!