Tracking the Oak Park coyote

By Graham Johnston

Manager of Internet and Technology

Urban naturalists at Wednesday Journal are looking for your help in plotting sightings of the coyote, or coyotes, that has been roaming the streets of Oak Park.

You can help out by using the form below to submit your sighting and we'll add it to our map. Just include your name, email address, the location where you spotted the coyote and the date of the sighting. If you managed to snap any photos of the elusive four-legged prowler you can email those to evan@oakpark.com.

View Coyote Watch in a larger map

Contact:
Email: gjohnston@wjinc.com Twitter: @OakPark

Mary from Oak Park

Posted: November 18th, 2011 2:26 PM

I was going for a jog last week and saw a coyote run across the street into someone's yard at Augusta and Linden. I thought it was a dog at first!

Dorothy from Oak Park

Posted: September 29th, 2011 8:43 PM

I am surprised that nothing is on the blog about the return of the coyotes this fall. Early this morning, about 3:00, loud, repeated howling woke me. I did not see the animals, but my neighbor saw several running up East Avenue, north of Chicago.

mcwalts from Oak Park

Posted: April 25th, 2011 11:02 AM

The Coyotes have been running free around Columbus Golf Course on Jackson and Austin all season. Nice seeing them run accross the landscape. If you hit one with your ball I will allow a free drop. lol

Sarge311

Posted: April 19th, 2011 4:33 PM

@David Hammond & Big Bad Wolf. Hopefully the coyote will get you first. THAT would be sweet!

David Hammond from Oakpark.com/Dining/Blogs

Posted: April 17th, 2011 2:12 PM

Big Bad Wolf, I like the way you think.

TanyaC

Posted: April 17th, 2011 1:48 PM

WJ can we get article about to do when we see one?

Tom Scharre

Posted: April 17th, 2011 10:52 AM

@maggy...I think you're on to something there. Also, is it just me or does anyone else find it interesting that the first syllable in coyote is coy?

Big Bad Wolf

Posted: April 17th, 2011 8:34 AM

Coyote meat is delicious !

tjk from Oak Park

Posted: April 16th, 2011 10:12 PM

Get a big piece of plywood. Paint a tunnel on it. The coyote will run right into it. At least that always worked for the roadrunner.

maggy from oak park

Posted: April 16th, 2011 8:46 AM

Oak Park could create a 'coyote' permit AND tax them for the privilege of wandering Oak Park streets!

Sarge311 from Oak Park

Posted: April 15th, 2011 5:19 PM

I sure hope that Oak Park cops are not going to do to the coyote what Chicago cops did to that cougar that they killed. Please do a humane capture (if that is what you are considering) This animal is trying to survive in our concrete jungle. They are just as afraid of humans as we are of them. Make sure your pets are on a leash, are not allowed to roam alone (which is an Oak Park ordinance, I believe)and keep your children by you. If all these are followed,everything will be fine.

Graham Johnston from Wednesday Journal

Posted: April 15th, 2011 4:06 PM

@Kurt one of our employees spotted a coyote being pursued by Oak Park police this afternoon. Our cops reporting is checking to see if an arrest was made.

Kurt

Posted: April 15th, 2011 4:03 PM

I was listening to the Oak Park police scanner this week when the cops were called to a coyote sighting. When the cop showed up spotted it he radioed back to dispatch "Ah, yeah, there is a coyote... now what am I supposed to do?" I think that pretty much sums up the problem.

Diane Krstulovich from Oak Park

Posted: April 15th, 2011 4:02 PM

ps - don't leave dogfood outside!

Diane Krstulovich from Oak Park

Posted: April 15th, 2011 4:01 PM

Yikes! I hope someone is spreading the word to parents, nannies, pre-schools and pet-owners. In the far south suburbs of Cook County (close to the woods) they have flyers/booklets with good advice for nearby residents. Do we?

Yosemite Sam from Oak Park

Posted: April 15th, 2011 3:51 PM

Git outta my way!! I'm gonna BLAST the varmint!!!

Sasquatch

Posted: April 15th, 2011 3:00 PM

Hey, cops, leave those coyotes alone.