Carlos Zambrano sells River Forest home for substantial loss

By Dan Haley

Editor and Publisher

OK, normally we don't like to be quoting two other news sources ahead of us on a story. But it is almost Opening Day and there is a baseball connection so we'll make an exception.

Patch reports that the Tribune reported that Carlos Zambrano, the hot-tempered former Cubs pitching ace, has finally sold his home in River Forest. The six-bedroom home on Edgewood Place, that's over near the Des Plaines River, sold for $675,000. Now back in 2006 Zambrano bought the home for $1.119 million. That would make for a loss of $444,000. Pity the nearest water cooler when Big Z got that report from his Realtor.

He first listed the house for sale in 2011 and the asking price was $969,000.

Contact:
Email: dhaley@wjinc.com Twitter: @OPEditor

Pro Sales guy

Posted: April 5th, 2013 12:50 PM

Carlos Zambrano's house was very ugly. I agree that it will be an eyesore for generations and pity the person that bought the dump. Maybe they will tear the eyesore down

Zee from Miami

Posted: April 2nd, 2013 12:31 PM

Hey Yo, this is Carlos. Actually, Holmes, I was the architect. I designed the home by throwing objects around on my draft table when I was angry, which was quite often. The design perfectly reflects my personality, and that is the essence of great architecture, Esse.

Uncommon Sense

Posted: April 2nd, 2013 11:49 AM

Muntz, I agree 100%. I am not in favor of design commissions, etc but WTF? How stuff like this gets built in areas with older stately houses is beyond me. If you want a McMansion, just high tail it out to exburbs or something. Properties like this scar the aesthetic/architectural value of a community for generations

muntz

Posted: April 2nd, 2013 10:54 AM

A perfect example of why the housing market sorely needed a market correction. Bland house build in 1999 that fits a Tinely Park subdivision more than RF. House wedged into a lot not in scale with the block (each neighbor should've bought the lot and split the land as the house to the north lost its southern exp). And apparently $1.1mil doesn't buy you brick/stone around the entire house as the back is siding and looks like what you see in Plainfield off of I55. Poor build + poor purchase.

Uncommon Sense

Posted: April 2nd, 2013 10:02 AM

Frank, if being a Realtor is so easy and they make so much money for doing so little work, why don't you quite your day job and become a Realtor? I'm not saying there aren't bad agents out there, but you are showing your ignorance of residential real estate.

Frank Furillo

Posted: April 2nd, 2013 6:37 AM

I think the sign ban is appropriately unenforced but admit it distracts from my main point that the realtor's job is (ostensibly) to sell the house at a high price. The person to be mocked is not the seller himself but the realtor who had the listing. They take a substantial fee for doing very little. I bet they took their fee here even as the seller takes a bath. On the buyer side, they look for a price the seller wants, not the lowest price the buyer can get. Quite a racket.

Silly

Posted: April 1st, 2013 2:26 PM

On the subject of banning for sell signs, it doesn't seem to affect people putting them up. Just yesterday I drove past that green house on Chicago Ave, just the next block west of the FLW home and studio... and guess what I see in the window? That's right, a For Sale sign. What's the point of a law if it's not enforced?

Daniel Lauber

Posted: March 30th, 2013 11:42 AM

Sorry Mr. Furillo, but the ban on "For Sale" signs in Oak Park (which is only sporatically enforced) has nothing to do with any real estate cartel. It is one of the many strategies Oak Park has had to use -- and will continue to have to use -- to maintain a stable, racaily-integrated village in the midst of one of the most segreated metropolitan areas in the nation.

Irishman

Posted: March 29th, 2013 8:17 PM

Could we be lucky enough that whomever bought it is going to tear it down? It's an architectural disaster unfitting for RF, and especially for the Edgewater area, where it backs up to the Winslow house, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's all time classics.

Maggie from Oak Park

Posted: March 29th, 2013 7:58 PM

Zambrano's home is in River Forest and they can post signs.

Frank Furillo

Posted: March 29th, 2013 6:14 PM

Ok, after we all have a chuckle at Z's expense, lets ask what the role of the realtor is. Blame the market, but earn a commission. We think athletes are overpaid! The sway they have in OP, with their cartel blocking For Sale signs is disgusting. I guess their redeeming is realtors' willingness to buy ad space in local papers.

Find a garage sale near you!