Gun displayed in purse robbery

By Jean Lotus

Forest Park Review Editor

A woman was robbed at gunpoint and relieved of her purse around 5:40 a.m. on Sept. 3 in the 100 block of Superior Street, Oak Park police said.

Police said the victim was approached by a male between 20-30 years old who displayed a small black and silver semiautomatic handgun. The victim dropped her purse to the ground, police said, and the assailant picked it up and fled southbound. Estimated loss was $480.

The woman's cellphone was pinged near the 4800 block of West Erie Street in Chicago later that day, but the phone was not recovered and the investigation continues, said Oak Park Police Commander LaDon Reynolds.

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: September 10th, 2013 9:15 PM

VA, yes, iPhones are worth stealing, so are wallets, so are laptops so are... You do t flash you iPhone in Oak Park just like you don't flash your wallet, or anything valuable. What do all these things have in common past the fact that they are valuable? It is that criminals will and do rob people for them. So, does that indicate that we have a iPhone problem? Or wallet problem? No, it means we have a criminal problem... So yeah, LET'S "get real".

Violet Aura

Posted: September 10th, 2013 8:42 AM

@Ridiculous OP: This is a hot item. So far no one has tried to snatch my Net10 cheapo and I doubt they ever will. So let's get real. Yes, in the past gold chains were a big target so smart people stopped wearing them. I wish some smart dust would rub off on the iZombies.

joe from south oak park

Posted: September 10th, 2013 7:55 AM

ridiculous people, lets at least make an attempt at keeping this civil...

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: September 10th, 2013 2:02 AM

Just because a few other people (you with different names?) agree with your idiotic comments doesn't mean a thing. Now listen up, I'll make it simple for you; By singling out Iphone thefts from the many types of robberies that happen, you are alluding to the idea that Iphones somehow break a trend in robberies. Fact is robberies are going to happen regardless of the product or wallet we have, so the influx of iPhones make little difference to the number of potential robberies. Idiot!

You are ridiculous alright

Posted: September 10th, 2013 1:11 AM

For the record, you also ignored that multiple people pointed out the same flaws in your comments and also agreed with me. No one took my comments the way that you did...and coincidentally you're the only one who seemed to miss the intent of my comments so I think it's you, not us.

You are ridiculous alright

Posted: September 10th, 2013 1:09 AM

this particular item to be a high target piece of merchandise. People are walking around looking to snatch iPhones in particular. Yes other crimes are still being committed but because of the ease with stealing and reselling iPhones there appears to be more "outsiders" (people not regularly committing robberies and other serious criminal acts) who have gotten involved in this scheme. You can spot it in the methodology...many iPhones are snatched from peoples' hand versus them being stuck up.

You are ridiculous alright

Posted: September 10th, 2013 1:03 AM

No you idiot, I never once alluded to or referenced a spike in robberies. I continued to make comments over and over about how easily people set themselves up for robberies by walking down the street and looking at their iPhone. You continued over and over to argue and say that I was writing something I never did and about issues I did not address. My point was and remains that the monetary value of iPhones and the endless supply of pedestrians that refuse to pay attention in public are causing

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: September 7th, 2013 5:03 PM

You are ridiculous alright, many items are easy to snatch, and I never disagreed that iPhones are. You alluded to the idea that there is a spike in robberies because we now have Ipones, which is ridiculous. My argument was that we have many robberies because we are near many people who rob. It seems like you are the one that needs some comprehension lessons. You can't even understand my tag.

joe from south oak park

Posted: September 7th, 2013 4:14 PM

/sarcasm. it was all a misunderstanding. the lady's purse was heavy and the young man, being a gentleman, was going to offer to help her carry it. /sarcasm off I can't really blame Jean though. with all the strong arm and armed robberies in the village lately she is finding a ways to spice up the language of the reporting.

Violet Aura

Posted: September 7th, 2013 11:32 AM

LOL--she was "relieved" of that awful purse! The black and silver gun was "displayed." Sounds so civilized... :/

FYI

Posted: September 6th, 2013 3:50 PM

Wow, News2OP from OP. Your post would be almost clever- if, that is, the victim was a mobster and not some working mother with a daughter, who was just trying to get to work to earn a living.

New2OP from OP

Posted: September 6th, 2013 12:52 PM

Leave the purse. Take the cannoli.

You are ridiculous alright

Posted: September 6th, 2013 12:31 PM

And it turned out the value was $480 for everything altogether. That is no way as easy or as profitable, criminally speaking, as walking near the middle schools or OPRF or Dominican or by your home apparently...sitting and waiting for someone who has their eyes glued to their phone, running behind them, snatching the phone out their hand, and forcing them to chase you. You know what you're stealing in terms of value and while it's a felony it's not as bad as armed robbery & uuw. Stifle yourself.

Your are ridiculous alright

Posted: September 6th, 2013 12:27 PM

Here I am! I am now starting to believe you have troubles with reading comprehension. Last time I told you I have never been against iPhone. I told you I have an iPhone. Multiple people tried to inform you that the reason iPhones are hot items is because they're easy to snatch, easy to carry, easy to sell, and very expensive. You kinda proved my point. This guy walked up to the lady, pulled out a gun, she dropped the purse, he stooped down to pick it up and took off with whatever was inside...

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: September 6th, 2013 2:48 AM

Where's that ridiculous commentator that says we have an "Ipod problem"? Oh, oh, we have a purse problem. If all those people out there just got rid of those purses, we'd all be safer. LOL. Oops, it actually looks like we actually have a THUG problem. I'm so glad we now know that 2 different colors of the gun... no need to know the criminals description, but when I have that gun in my face, I will know exactly what it looks like, and will describe it to the cops and the WJ.

FYI

Posted: September 5th, 2013 11:19 PM

Some of you commenters get just plain silly with splitting hairs. Lotus states a gun was displayed- during a robbery. That constitutes a "cover up?" Where's the mystery, Chris? Get serious.

Relieved?

Posted: September 5th, 2013 10:51 PM

Enough said.

Chris from OP

Posted: September 5th, 2013 9:03 PM

"Gun displayed in purse robbery" _________________________ Its called an Armed Robbery. No need to cover it up for Oak Park

Judy from River Forest

Posted: September 5th, 2013 7:28 PM

Interesting choice of words--she was "relieved" of her purse.

Violet Aura

Posted: September 5th, 2013 6:53 PM

What happened to the police blotter this week?

Violet Aura

Posted: September 5th, 2013 6:50 PM

Kudos, WJ! Good to know that the revolver was silver and black. Very important info. A loose perp's full description? RACIST!!!

joe from south oak park

Posted: September 5th, 2013 5:54 PM

Be safe out there. This could happen to anyone.