The family of a Chicago woman who was killed in River Forest in July is suing the men arrested for her murder, looking for money to help raise her orphaned child.
Earlier this summer, Devin Bickham Sr., 39, allegedly killed his 29-year-old girlfriend Chervon Alexander at Priory Park, near Harlem and Division. He did so with the help of his 20-year-old son, Devin Bickham Jr., and Cardell Taylor, 35. Taylor reportedly walked up to the couple's parked car and shot her four times in an apparent murder-for-hire scheme.
All three men are now in Cook County Jail awaiting trial. Meanwhile, Alexander left behind a 9-year-old daughter, Iyana Quinones, who is now living with her grandmother in Chicago. The victim's family is now suing the three alleged killers, seeking some $10 million from each of them to help raise the child.
"We're going to do everything humanly possible to help the little girl who's now without a mother," said Steven Dicker, the Chicago attorney who's representing Alexander's brother, Cornelius, in the case.
The civil suit was filed on Aug. 24 in Cook County Circuit Court. Officials are in the process of serving the three defendants with the lawsuit in jail, according to Dicker. They're seeking more than $30,000 from each man in compensation for the family's losses, as well as $10 million each in punitive damages, according to the suit.
Dicker — who previously represented a boy who was molested by a priest in a suit that resulted in a $1.65 million settlement from the Archdiocese of Chicago — acknowledged that the defendants likely don't have any money. But the suit seeks to turn their pockets inside out to see if there's anything to help the grieving family as they move forward.
"We want to scratch out everything we can," he said. "Realistically, am I going to get 10 million dollars? No way, because it's not there. But we'll see what is and take it from there."