Additional charges for suspected teenage ringleader of Oak Park drug operation

17-year-old OPRF student also charged with theft of government property

By Jean Lotus

Contributing Reporter

Oak Park and River Forest High School student Pawel Borowski-Beszta was re-indicted Friday by a Cook County grand jury, which charged him with four counts of theft in addition to the drug and weapons charges previously leveled against him for allegedly running a drug sales operation out of an Oak Park apartment.

The Cook County States Attorney's Office added charges of theft, theft of government property worth between $300 and $10,000, theft of private property and theft of private property between $300 and $10,000.

"The state's attorney's office determined that 32 stolen calculators [found in Borowski-Beszta's possession] were the property of Oak Park and River Forest High School," said Oak Park Police Cmdr. LaDon Reynolds. Borowski-Beszta is being held in Cook County Jail with bond set at $300,000.

Borowski-Beszta, a senior at OPRF, was arrested on Aug. 6 at an apartment in the 100 block of Harrison Street, where he was a part-time resident, authorities said earlier this month. The 17-year-old student landed a handful of felony charges after a search of the apartment turned up large quantities of drugs, cash and stolen goods, police said. Some of the drugs came via a FedEx shipment from California, Wednesday Journal reported last month.

A grand jury subsequently indicted Borowski-Beszta, handing down eight counts related to drug and weapons offenses.

Two brothers, Ryan Reyes, 28, of the 1100 block of South Harvey Avenue, and Christopher Reyes, 23, a tenant of the Harrison Street apartment, were both charged with misdemeanor possession of cannabis in connection with the drug bust.

At a Sept. 2 preliminary hearing, it was revealed that Borowski-Beszta told authorities that some of the drugs had been shipped to him in boxes from California.

OP Rez

Posted: September 30th, 2011 10:18 PM

I give Borowski an A for effort. He was an A student in life with his big fat wallet...until OP's finest did their thang. Now hes a failing student and looking for a tutor!

OP Guy

Posted: September 30th, 2011 10:06 PM

Anonymous, maybe you should print some orange t-shirts with your slogan on it.

Anonymous

Posted: September 30th, 2011 10:12 AM

Free Borowkski. "ringleader" that's hysterical the teen drug game in O.P.R.F will never stop

OP Guy

Posted: September 29th, 2011 1:32 AM

Q, much appreciated.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 29th, 2011 12:22 AM

OP Guy, you gave the best information that anyone could on this topic to anonymous student and any other young person who can't always put everything a person is about into perspective.

OP Guy

Posted: September 28th, 2011 10:57 PM

anonymous student, don't believe for a second that the police depend on "screw ups like Paul, to get paid... they'd still get payed. OTOH, Paul depended on the misery of others to get paid. I'm not saying that you don't have a right to like your friend, and defend any good qualities he may have, but it's another thing to have some perspective on who here is actually causing harm to people. Every profession has corruption, as do the police, but they are right on the money this time.

OP Guy

Posted: September 28th, 2011 10:47 PM

anonymous student, to be more realistic, I don't consider some kid who steals a piece of candy a couple of times in his life a criminal, but repetitive drug dealing, stealing on a mass scale, having a gun... THAT pretty much fits the bill of what a criminal is. It's hard to say what the police were trying to do... they could have been staking him out to see if he lead them to bigger fish, so it's not fair to accuse OPPD of wait for Paul to dig himself deeper without actually having proof.

OP Guy

Posted: September 28th, 2011 10:41 PM

anonymous student, You said; "the difference being criminals have no sense of right or wrong." This is actually the definition of a sociopath, not a criminal. Then you said; "if I steal occasionally, am I now a criminal, because I break the law?" To be pedantic, this is the exact definition of a criminal... i.e. a person who commits a crime.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 28th, 2011 2:50 PM

anonymous student, I give you more credit than just being a kid. I actually expect more from a person of your age than many do. I can understand that you feel the OPPD is making more out of it then it is, but I believe they are not. There are a lot of checks and balances before charges are filed, and then more checks and balances for it to go to trial. In Oak Park, we have a very professional Police Department, and although everything has flaws, I'm confident that OPPD does not jam anyone.

Not Mindblowing

Posted: September 28th, 2011 2:38 PM

Papers usually stop blasting your photos on every article about you after time elapses. Nothing new. I just read an article about the family of the RF shooting victim trying to sue the the suspects to support the victim's child. Guess what...no photos. New news gets photos. As far as anonymous student, let him/her be a teenager. We already know how this will end. In 10-15 years he'll reevaluate his teenaged outlook on life and realize what we already do now. He sounds like and is...a kid.

anonymous student

Posted: September 28th, 2011 6:55 AM

Im not the first to say it but I'm sure all you can agree, that our society is going down the drain, to turn into more septic waste. When peoples lives depend on the prosecution of others, we have a major problem.

anonymous student

Posted: September 28th, 2011 6:46 AM

Its funny, if I had said I'm a grown man none of you would be lecturing me about young heads on old shoulders. Paul isn't innocent and I'm not defending him. My whole purpose was to illuminate the corruption of the police, while clearing Paul's name of some of the ridiculous things that have been said about him. This war on drugs is never ending, there are going to be a million more good kids like Paul sucked into the system. Too many people depend on screw ups like Paul to get paid.

anonymous student

Posted: September 28th, 2011 6:38 AM

Im confused how i got put in a position where I'm defending drug dealers. I'm just defending Paul from all this unfair, ignorant criticism he has received on comments I've been reading throughout the whole case. I can't blame any of you, given that all the information you have about this kid is through the police. they have really succeeded in creating a monster out of him, and if you read my very first comment, you will see he was allowed to become big by the oppd.

anonymous student

Posted: September 28th, 2011 6:29 AM

To op guy and q, I know that drug dealers are the cause of many broken homes and deaths and what not. And I'm not denying that Paul is a bad kid, which is all he is, not a criminal op Rez. the difference being criminals have no sense of right or wrong. if I steal occasionally, am I now a criminal, because I break the law? But we can argue all day about the definition of criminal.

OP Guy

Posted: September 28th, 2011 2:35 AM

anonymous student, You said "he mainly sold weed" which means he also sold other drugs... This is pretty common for people who sell weed, to come into other substances when the opportunity arises, and it only takes a few "experiments" with some drugs to get seriously hooked. Imagine if it was YOUR bother, or sister, or child who bought their first few hits of heroin, crack, meth... from this guy, that made them junkies, and lead to their eventual deaths. Dealers are the septic waste of society.

OP Guy

Posted: September 28th, 2011 2:24 AM

anonymous student, he maybe a good guy to you, but if you experienced the number of destroyed families I've experienced due to drugs, you'd have a different perspective on this. I've known 4 people who died from overdoses... their parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, grandparents... lives have all be devastated, not only by the deaths, but also the long and dark paths that lead to them. Guess where it all started? Yes, selling harmless weed to teens.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 10:43 PM

anonymous student, I suppose he must have ended back in jail since he wasn't going to stay in the Army and act right. I know two other people. Both Nam Veteran's who did finally change their criminal ways. They ended up in the Military because one was charge for attempted homicide which the person did live, and the other was a wheel man in a gas station robbery. What I am trying to explain to you is not everyone is who they seem to be. Just this few people I mentioned to you seem very nice.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 10:40 PM

anonymous student, I was 17 years of age when I entered the Army. At that time, tents came as halves and you would share a tent by putting the halves together. The guy I knew somewhat shared the tent. In the early morning, things started breaking and this guy took his M16 and made an attempt to hit me, striking the barrel on my helmet. He never made much out of the Army. He was tossed out eventually. He had a chose of jail or Army at the time. He use to pull armed robberies with a shot gun.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 10:36 PM

anonymous student, you are correct that I don't know him, but let me say this. I thought I knew a few people who they were. I had no idea that one person was a drug dealer and found out after that person was arrested passing phoney 20 dollar bills. I knew a guy for a few years who ended up killing a person with his automobile because he was driving high on whatever his flavor was.

Kwai Chang Caine from The Old West

Posted: September 27th, 2011 10:07 PM

Re: anonymous student You cannot put an old head on young shoulders.

OP Rez

Posted: September 27th, 2011 10:02 PM

"Just because you commit crimes, it does not make you a criminal. "..........then WHAT does?

gmail

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:48 PM

Jim, thanks for pointin that out, but if were commenting on an article its cause weve already read it.

anonymous student

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:39 PM

Q you're right. I'm not very experienced, and I dont think i know more or less than any adult. But I do know paul, and from what you've said I can assume that you dont. Youre generalizing a very specific case, and like I said before, you don't know any part of the story other than the police reports, which I, from my own experiences in life, know never tell the truth.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:29 PM

anonymous student, you haven't been exposed enough to the World to understand what is at the end of the line for a lot of things you will experience. That is why some adults who are more experienced know what will come out of something before you even start. Books are experience. You can learn to be many things from learning that it took decades to learn. Jail is a good place for a lot of people to learn the business from more experienced people. Those who don't want a return trip change.

Jim M.

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:26 PM

Re: anonymous student "The state's attorney's office determined that 32 stolen calculators [found in Borowski-Beszta's possession] were the property of Oak Park and River Forest High School,"

anonymous student

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:19 PM

Just because you commit crimes, it does not make you a criminal. And Q, who are you to say what Paul's intentions were as a drug dealer, who mainly sold weed to local kids. and op Rez, that is quite an ignorant comment. If you think prison is a way of decreasing a persons burden on society, why don't you spend some time in there and see what it will do to you. That is no place for a 17 year old pot selling teenager

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:11 PM

T.J., this drug dealer preys on others by selling drugs. If he had it his way, everyone would be on drugs and he would be the dealer. He is causing the ruin of many people by supplying their needs. Also, he is creating new criminals who will do criminal acts to get money from so they can buy more drugs. If a buyer overdoses, the only thing this guy has remorse for is loosing income. Selling drugs is illegal and it is harmful and does not offer any benefits.

OP Rez

Posted: September 27th, 2011 9:04 PM

TJ, I guess we should lock him up for as long as we can so he WONT be a burden on society. If u do the crime(s)...u must do the Time(s) Damn!!

anonymous

Posted: September 27th, 2011 8:51 PM

Tj I could not agree more

T.J. from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 8:44 PM

Just wanted to weigh in again. This whole "war on drugs" isn't working. There will ALWAYS be someone willing to take a chance and make some money. This kid probabally isn't as bad as most of you think. Besides, too many people depend on the drug war for their living. The dealers, police, prosecutors, probation officers, prison guards, the list goes on. This kid will likely go to prison and come out a much bigger burden on society than when he entered. So Yes, I hope he beats the charges

anonymous student

Posted: September 27th, 2011 8:42 PM

I knew Paul personally. That gun was for show, it never left that closet. The police of oak park have been waiting for a long time to bust him, just so that he would be tried as an adult. They knew about him for years. There is something to be said about the misconduct of the police in this situation, in regards to letting him stay on the street till it was too late to help him. Instead of intervening, they allowed him to construct his own demise. That is not justice.

Rational Observer from Oak Park, IL

Posted: September 27th, 2011 1:56 PM

To clarify, yes Pawel's picture has been shown a number of times by the Wednesday Journal and other news outlets. Yes, Pawel's an Oak Park resident, who attended OPRFHS and was widely known as a thief and drug dealer. And, no, the paper is not intent on humiliating him. They are reporting a story of interest and significance. Pawel was enamored with the thug life, made horrible choices and now is suffering the consequences. Nobody DID this to Pawel. Pawel, sadly, did this to himself.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 27th, 2011 12:14 AM

From Violet Aura "I really wonder about the thought process of some people today..." Five minutes later "LOL - I got the stories mixed up. Carry on." Now what was that about the thought process of others, Violet Aura?

OP Guy

Posted: September 26th, 2011 10:36 PM

Voilet Aura, yeah, but you're comments still apply.

Violet Aura

Posted: September 26th, 2011 10:16 PM

LOL- I got the stories mixed up. Carry on.

Violet Aura

Posted: September 26th, 2011 10:11 PM

Hey T.J., do you have sons who are hoodlums? Your logic is a bit fuzzy. So because you see corruption at the local level, it's fine and dandy to have burglars ripping people off? I really wonder about the thought process of some people today...

Jim M.

Posted: September 26th, 2011 9:56 PM

T.J must be related to Michael Moore.

OP Guy

Posted: September 26th, 2011 9:52 PM

Oh, I forgot... those dang parks! It's all THEIR fault! Those park district toddler art classes are turning this village into the cesspool of the west side! COME ON PEOPLE, STOP IT NOW BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND!

OP Guy

Posted: September 26th, 2011 9:49 PM

T.J., interesting perspective. So you hope to see a drug dealer and thief who's armed with fire power "beat the charges"? Then let's let all the other drug dealers, robbers, thieves, thugs with guns... out of jail... since, you know, their lives are being ruined by the evil village that caught them. Never mind the victim's of these crimes. I'm sure Oak Park, and it's many residents, will be all the more better off for not ruining these peoples lives!

T.J. from Oak Park

Posted: September 26th, 2011 7:50 PM

I hope this kid beats the charges. I hate to see overpaid gov't employees ruin this kid over nonsense. Sorry, this is how I feel. He's less of a criminal than most of the people running this town, including the schools, parks, township and village hall. Just my opinion. Go ruin someone's life who truly deserves it.

C. James (Jim) McCoy from Oak Park

Posted: September 26th, 2011 3:04 PM

This is was my first, probably my last, casual observation of a small point. Though it was a factual reference to two seperate postings, no suggestion racism was intended --- simply an oversight that could be so interpreted. My sympathy to all families involved. --- Jim

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 26th, 2011 12:52 PM

oakparkpost what do you mean I was making an attempt at humor? When people go into the business of criminal activity, they should be aware of certain things they might not like, for example... Getting Caught!! There is possibility of getting shot, being chased down by someone they really upset, injuries hopping over fences with barb wire. Well you get the idea. Criminals come from all race's and don't deserve to be separated by race when taking equal risks. The white guy did get his picture in.

Info

Posted: September 26th, 2011 11:59 AM

Click on the pic and it will enlarge

Info

Posted: September 26th, 2011 11:58 AM

Picture: http://www2.cookcountysheriff.org/search2/details.asp?jailnumber=2011-0808043

Much ado

Posted: September 26th, 2011 10:58 AM

Oak Park Patch is running pics of both guys and I'm pretty sure Wed. Journal ran photo of the white kid when that story first broke, so let's chill on the accusations of racism. Personally, I don't care about the race of either kid, but the violent one is potentially a danger to others and I have no problem with his photo being blasted far and wide. If that's humiliating to his family, so be it. Try raising better kids.

oakparkpost

Posted: September 26th, 2011 8:59 AM

triblocal ran his pic on-line, wednesday journal did not. the conversation is a bit silly. i was just commenting that if you want humiliate one child and their family why are you picking on the black one? does it sell more papers?

Freespirit

Posted: September 25th, 2011 2:14 PM

I'm sorry to tell you all, but the "white guys" face WAS in the paper. I saw it and remembered him from the High School, that houses TONS of kids that I believe DO NOT LIVE in RF or OP. But hey, who cares right?

oakparkpost

Posted: September 25th, 2011 1:44 PM

Q from Oak Park - You attempt at humor was an epic failure. Nice try, stick to your day job.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 24th, 2011 2:49 PM

OakParkPost, you are right, it is not fair to let the black guy get all of the recognition. The white guy did just the same crime so he should be entitled to the same recognition. There's going to be a big outcry with White people of racism if the white guy doesn't get his picture posted. It's just another example of how the black guy is always getting recognition when the white guy has worked just as hard.

OakParkPost

Posted: September 24th, 2011 1:24 PM

His picture is on the website but comments have been disabled on the same story. Pawel's photo has not appeared. I find it racist to show the photo of the black youth but not the white youth.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: September 24th, 2011 12:31 PM

C. James McCoy, that's interesting that they don't have a picture of anyone on this page and more interesting is the reporter Jean Lotus doesn't seem like she is Black.

C. James McCoy from Oak Park

Posted: September 24th, 2011 8:30 AM

Interestin that the black teen is pictured and the white one is not?

OP Guy

Posted: September 23rd, 2011 9:35 PM

I'm confident Pawel will see the difference between the closed campus, and what it means to be incarcerated.

OPRFHS Parent from Oak Park

Posted: September 23rd, 2011 7:46 PM

@Muriel-Part time resident of an apartment does not mean part time resident of Oak Park. This young man's parents live on N Woodbine. He's lived in Oak Park a long time.

muriel schnierow from River Forest

Posted: September 23rd, 2011 5:20 PM

a part time residency doesnt seem enough to qualify for a school that at one time was and maybe still is excellent. To reframe behavior requires a good fmily background . oneway to do that is with volunteers for birth mothers and subsequent attendance at pre school where ethics can be tought.Hard? of course !

Find a garage sale near you!