Rev. Edward Maxa, 78, died unexpectedly on July 26, 2012 of heart failure while enjoying a day off in Wisconsin. He was a senior priest in residence at Immaculate Conception Church on West 44th Street in Chicago.
Fr. Maxa was born in Oak Park and graduated from St. Odilo School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary, and the University of Saint Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. He was ordained in 1959 by Cardinal Meyer. According to Fr. Tom Koys, pastor of St. Bartholomew Parish, who served with him for 13 years, Fr. Maxa's entire priesthood was spent serving the poor and minority black and Hispanic communities of Chicago. He was a Knight of St. Peter Claver and fluent in Spanish.
From 1965 to 1969, Fr. Maxa was the assistant pastor of Epiphany Parish on Chicago's West Side. In 1969, he began an 18-year assignment at Blessed Sacrament Parish, first as assistant pastor (1969-72), then as administrator (1972-74) and finally as pastor (1974-87). The parish closed in 2005. In 1989, he was assigned to Our Lady of the Angels Parish, where he served for six years. During this time the parish was consolidated with St. Francis of Assisi Parish on North Kostner Avenue and is now the Mission of Our Lady of the Angels.
From 1995 to 2007, Fr. Maxa was the associate pastor of Immaculate Conception Parish in Chicago. He retired from active ministry in 2007 and continued to serve as a senior priest at Immaculate Conception.
Edward Maxa is survived by his brother, James A. Maxa. Visitation was held on July 30. Francis Cardinal George, OMI, Archbishop of Chicago, was the principal celebrant at a funeral Mass on July 31 at Immaculate Conception Church. Fr. Thomas Koys was the homilist. Interment took place at Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside.