Gun displayed in armed robbery

Victim's stolen laptop recovered in Chicago

Oak Park police said a man in his 30s, walking in the 100 block of South Taylor Avenue Tuesday night around 11:30 p.m., was robbed of his wallet and electronics. The victim told police an unknown man approached him, displayed a black semi-automatic pistol and said, "Give me your wallet. Don't let me shoot you." The victim complied, police said, and then the offender demanded his Samsung Galaxy II cellphone and a computer laptop bag and fled southbound through the Taylor/Humphrey alley. The wallet contained ID, credit cards, and $80. Chicago police later found the laptop bag — with Apple laptop intact — on the ground in the 5700 block of Lake Street, in Chicago. Estimated loss was $400.

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 24th, 2013 4:32 AM

LOL, I see kids playing on Humphrey on their front lawns all the time. Why don't you go tell their parents that these "spill over" shootings are not a big deal. So you, and the likes, are willing to sacrifice the few and less affluent NE Oak Parkers kids because of your ideological pre-disposition. Awfully generous of you to allow other peoples kids lives to be affected.

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 24th, 2013 4:22 AM

LOL, if you're going to make ignorant or deceptive comments, at least try to get your facts straight. I actually know the people who heard the thug shout "don't shoot" right between Harvey and Cuyler on Division. Is the guy getting shot in his basement suppose to make use feel better? People like you use "spill over" as code for it's not a big deal, when in actual fact it IS a big deal. The fact that gangbangers "spill over" into Oak Park to shoot people is reason enough to worry cont...

Jesse from Oak park

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 1:59 PM

Maybe we should bring reformed gang members,Gator Bradley and Eric Caine, along with Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, to have a dialog with the uninformed residents of Oak Park. In order to understand and learn to embrace the lifestyle and culture of our neighbors to the east. Cultural awareness will not only teach us why they do what they do, but it will satisfy the likes of Mr. Protess who believes it is the white devil as the cause of all the problems.

muntz

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 10:14 AM

Brad has a point. Having your bike stolen is one thing...having it ripped from under your person is another. Having your garage broken into is one thing...having a mugger enter your garage when you're exiting your car is another. And now we've got gang-bangers (or friends/enemies thereof...it's all the same to me) crossing over and bringing their bad decisions with them. Being caught in the crossfire in OP is not what I signed up for. Animalistic behavior indeed...

Uncommon Sense

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 10:12 AM

I have to agree with Brad. A missing lawnmower is one thing, being assaulted, robbed, or having thugs shot at in the village is something else. The village needs to grow a pair and start going Charles Bronson on these thugs. It is getting tiresome. A message to the "streets" needs to be sent loud and clear that the thug behavior stops at Austin Blvd. Let it be known no expense will be spared in prosecuting crime in OP to the fullest extent possible.

The Brad from OP

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 9:25 AM

When I moved here, I was aware of the proximity of Oak Park to the Austin and the perennial struggles with petty crime. What I was not considering in paying a large sum of money for a historic home in a beautiful neighborhood is that I would have to worry about my wife or son being knocked to the ground and having firearms stuck in their face on their way home from school or from the train. That is not acceptable. These punks are animals.

The Brad from OP

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 9:20 AM

To "LOL!" I am not scared. I'd love for any of these punk wannabes to try me some morning on Oak Park Avenue. Would love that. What I DO worry about, however, are the times my wife is walking home from the train alone or when my son is riding his bike. I cannot always be there to protect my family in our neighborhood. So, try to humiliate me for "being scared" and suggest I "buy a dog". Hyperbole gets you nowhere. These are real issues that need to be addressed.

LOL! from Oak Park

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 9:08 AM

@Ridiculous: You're another piece of work. That shooting didn't occur AT Division and Cuyler, the man was found there dead. The 900 N. Taylor incident was work-related and had nothing to do with gangs. They aren't having wild shoot-outs in Oak Park, these are incidents that happened to spill over here. There should be absolutely no fear of "catching a bullet" whatsoever

LOL! from Oak Park

Posted: August 23rd, 2013 8:58 AM

See, the thing is Brad...crime is everywhere. Build a bridge and get over it. If you're scared, go buy a dog or form your own faction of the Guardian Angels lolololololol

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 11:43 PM

There is no way the problem is going to get any better, because the powers at be, and their media outlet, won't even acknowledge the extent of the problem, the people that are largely responsible, or that there even IS a problem. I'm guessing cause it's either bad publicity to have tourists and prospective residents know that "historic and charming Oak Park" is over run by violent armed thugs... Or because once you open "that" can of worms, the village will actually have to do something

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 11:36 PM

Right on, Brad! Violent muggings have been a problem for Oak Park for quite a while now. Even though the village and the WJ like to remind us that over all crime has been lower in recent years, that doesn't account specifically for the number of violent crimes, such as assaults and armed robberies. Just like these iphone robberies, there were assaults in the middle of the day on Ridgeland, Oak Park Ave etc... by groups of "Chicagoans". Cont...

The Brad from OP

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 8:53 PM

And the iPhone thuggings and muggings in the middle of the day at Oak Park and Iowa? At 300 N Euclid? At North Blvd & Kennilworth? Hope to hell none of these savages decide to try the wrong person, but I'm sure the tough guys are preying on middle aged women. Three generations of welfare coming back to roost in our $12,000/yr property taxed backyards.

The Brad from OP

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 8:49 PM

Surprised that someone actually disagreed with my comment earlier that the animals are coming across the border. Seriously, is there a sane argument that wouldn't classify this behavior as savage and barbaric? Sorry, I rather not see my property values slide anymore. Keep the animals easy of Austin (no, not everyone in Austin is an animal).

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 6:01 PM

No doubt the village and the WJ will write the shooting today off as an "isolated incident", with little for Oak Parkers to worry about, since we're not gangbangers. The village and the WJ like to remind us that we're "isolated" from the violence in Austin, when it suits them, but also likes to remind us that we're not isolated when they want to talk about bridging the community gap. So which one is it? We're VERY lucky the bullet this morning didn't hit some kids playing around Humphrey.

Ridiculous Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 5:52 PM

Why was the comments section of the article regarding the shooting today disabled before anyone even commented? Maybe the WJ is scared of people telling it as it is, which is we and our families face real threats of catching a bullet by one of these thugs trying to shoot one of his rivals. We've now had gangbangers shoot people at Division and Cuyler, Division and Humphrey, Division and Austin, 800 block of Austin, 900 block of Taylor... Is is time for a wall around Oak Park yet?

alt.progress

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 5:39 PM

@NE OP Rez - it is the gun barrel that is smoking in this power fantasy, right? I mean its not your...you know.

alt.progress from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 5:30 PM

OP #545 Thanks for the tip on the NKCA. Who knew? Never thought of myself as a "cutlery enthusiast" but, when you think about it, I have over 20 knives in my kitchen alone. Not sure these NKCA people get it though. I checked out the website -- no flags, no founders, no Roll of Honor", no Outlaw Platoon part 1, 2 or 3. No link to my congressman. They don't seem like socialists really but maybe a little soft. Not sure you should trust them.

alt.progress from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 5:18 PM

@ NE OP Rez. But then you would be breaking the concealed penis law.

NE OP REZ from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 3:06 PM

I agree that more info should be given on how this victim was cased. Where are the useful facts? With the shooting on N. Humphrey today and the robberies occurring all over this part of town, the CC law is a welcomed relief. I walk to and from the Austin stop everyday. When my time comes I pray I have my CC license. I will piss on the piece of garbage as I hold my smoking barrel over its dead body.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 2:23 PM

Muriel, since you invoked the Aussie politician trying to start a US travel boycott after the OK race-based killing, I submit this bit of inconvenient truth: Australia banned & confiscated guns from its citizens in 1996. Today, in 2013, they're dealing with what? All together now, "out of control gun crime". See today's Balia Shire Advocate from Sydney...http://www.ballinaadvocate.com.au/news/new-plan-unveil-tackle-out-of-control-gun-violence/1992835/...This isn't really hard if you think.

Concealed Carry

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 2:14 PM

Concealed Carry cannot get here quickly enough. Crybabies like Muriel and RC will just have to deal with it.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 2:13 PM

Alt Progress...thanks for your typical drive-by leftist comment. In reality, there are hundreds of knife associations in the US. The National Knife Collectors Association (NKCA) was founded in 1972 as a membership based, not-for-profit corporation, chartered in the State of Tennessee. Check out their website at http://nkcalisa.wix.com. You might learn something, but facts are anathema to the "progressive" mind, I realize. You should be ashamed of yourself.

muntz

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 1:40 PM

I would like to retrace the victim's steps to better understand how we might be targeted. Did he exit the Green Line or bus at Austin? So are thieves casing the L stop, then following victims to a "quiet" block (such as Taylor instead of South) to assault? Or did the thief approach from a different direction? This info would be much more helpful than race (mainly because if it's not mentioned we already know the answer).

Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 1:26 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention the man with the knife robbing someone at the BP station too.

its getting out of control from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 1:25 PM

They say crime is down, but in the last few weeks we've had a rash of strong arm robberies, a man attacked in his own garage after pulling in, several iPhone snatchings occurring in broad daylight, and now an armed robbery of an unsuspecting citizen. What's happening to this place? Is this considered "acceptable" to Oak Park citizens?

Hank

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 12:50 PM

@Alt Progress there's several national knife associations google it. As for clubs, likely because you can't establish/deliniate a club (gathering of likeminded individuals) from a club (golf?) to a device used to protect/hurt.

Violet Aura

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 12:42 PM

@Enough Already: Excuse you? What is "phobic" about demanding truth in reporting? I had a fellow church member (very liberal church and member) leave OP after getting a gun pulled on him near his house one night in my childhood area of OP. There is nothing Henny Penny about this whatsoever. If there are ppl who are still on the loose, any descriptors including skin color, should be freely mentioned w/o reproach. The fact that WJ describes colors of the gun, stolen merchadise, etc. is just odd!

Alt.Progress from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 12:32 PM

@ Resident 545 - does your research reveal why there is no National Knife and Club Association?

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 9:15 AM

...oops, I think I missed a double negative there, You can't argue that my positions are not well thought out, etc.....

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 9:13 AM

To: Enough..sorry. I don't suffer fools like muriel & Reality Check gladly. Ridiculous, uninformed & incorrect comments will be swiftly answered by me, a 1-person rapid response team. You are free to disagree with my viewpoint, but you cannot argue that my positions are reasoned, well researched & well thought out. The exception will be my reply to Reality Check, who clearly suffers from low testosterone or estrogen. RC, you are simply an idiot. Peace to you.

Enough already!

Posted: August 22nd, 2013 12:10 AM

My God can all of you reaction morons on both side please take the relentless gun debate somewhere else. Between Violet Aura's everything phobic ravings and every single topic devolving into gun debate this website has become unbearable. Please, idiots, go away, you are ruining comments for everyone else. That goes double for Violet, you are pathetic.

OP Rez

Posted: August 21st, 2013 8:42 PM

muriel, what about the THUG problem? If we are going to start shifting the blame away from the responsible, maybe we should start blaming the victims for carrying around expensive electronics, and wallets, or just deciding to talk around at night, or during the day, in an area considered desirable with high taxes. Maybe we should just blame the victim for moving to Oak Park, or being alive... Then there will be nothing else to blame but the thug.

Violet Aura

Posted: August 21st, 2013 7:22 PM

LOL--the magically appearing and disappearing post!;)

Violet Aura

Posted: August 21st, 2013 7:21 PM

Why was my comment removed, hmmm? Well in any case, thank goodness we know he's got a BLACK pistol and stole an Apple laptop. It's racist to mention physical descriptors like skin color! Welcome to the Twilight PC Zone! But...but...isn't it AGE-IST to mention that he's thirty-something?

Violet Aura

Posted: August 21st, 2013 6:58 PM

For Jean Lotus the Editor: Could you please help me understand why a very dangerous man who pointed a semi-automatic weapon at an innocent person and is on. the. loose. is not being described beyond his gender and approx. age? And why is the make of the computer taken and the color of the revolver important info for the public yet the racial descriptor is deliberately being withheld? I know that some will assume that I am demanding this for some bigoted agenda but I am just exposing PC bee ess!

Former Victim/Chicagoan

Posted: August 21st, 2013 6:14 PM

I have been a victim of crime several times, because I grew up poor in Chicago. My life was saved by firearms several times. The first time was when I was 16, and a total stranger with a shotgun chased away 12 older punks who were trying to beat me to death while the neighborhood cheered them on because I was White and they were Black. The police were summoned by the high school principal, but did nothing, even refusing to drive me to a bus stop. I look forward to concealed carry.

MattCordtwist from Island dweller

Posted: August 21st, 2013 5:37 PM

per previous comments; allowed to carry a gun can be a good thing, but why do people keep thinking victims will be less victimized or that less thug punks will be coming down the road? 99.9% of these robberies are when folks aren't looking behind there shoulder. do you really think the perp is going after the alert and possible holster holder?

Reality Check

Posted: August 21st, 2013 5:18 PM

Didn't take long for a gun fetishist to absolve his favorite sex toy with the usual NRA nonsense and racism.

OP Resident # 545 from Oak Park

Posted: August 21st, 2013 5:11 PM

Boy, that didn't take long, Muriel. The usual suspects blaming the usual bogeyman (i.e. the NRA), all the while conveniently forgetting the root cause. It's not gun violence, Muriel, it's GANG violence. If this thug didn't have a gun, which he likely obtained by breaking many gun laws, he'd have used a knife or club. If the victim was allowed concealed carry, the thug would've thought twice about his attempt. I'm also not worried about a hack politician, be he Aussie or Chicagoan.

muriel schnierow from Oak Park,illinois

Posted: August 21st, 2013 5:00 PM

what do you expect? thegun industry brings in around 12 Billion ayear which is then used to Fund the NRA. Then the paroled psychopaths grab them. Australia will probably take us off the list of places to visit. Make those calls.