By Jean Lotus
RF cops arrest suspect in A/C thefts
River Forest police arrested a Cicero man caught in the act of removing three separate commercial air-conditioning units in the 7300 block of North Avenue. At approximately 4 a.m., Aug. 12,
Marcelino Perales, 32, was observed dismantling air-conditioner units in the rear of businesses. Perales, who was on parole, was charged with three felony counts of criminal damage to property.
At the time of the incident, he was in possession of a vehicle, which had been reported stolen out of Oak Lawn. The Riverside Police Department also charged Perales with felony charges for his involvement in similar incidents in their jurisdiction.
He was wanted for questioning by Berwyn and the Illinois State Police as well, regarding other commercial air-conditioning thefts.
River Forest Deputy Chief James O'Shea praised the overnight-shift officers in the investigation. "They were able to take a subject off the streets who is suspected in several high-value thefts and criminal property incidents in the area," he said.
Teen drug party busted in forest preserves
River Forest police broke up an underage party in the forest preserves near the entrance on the 7900 block of Hawthorne around 11:30 p.m.,
Aug.12. An Oak Park teen was found to be in possession of cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis and drug paraphernalia.
He was taken into custody and petitioned to juvenile court prior to being released to his parents.
Alleged bike thief arrested
Oak Park police chased and arrested a man in the 300 block of South Lombard Avenue after he refused to stop while riding a bicycle that was suspected of being stolen from Roosevelt Road.
The man allegedly dropped the bike and fled on foot, at which time he was taken into custody and charged with obstructing an officer.
Man attacked in garage
A man told police two unknown men entered his garage via the open overhead door around 8:50 p.m., Aug. 12, as he was exiting his car. The offenders allegedly approached the victim from behind, pushed him to the ground and told him to "get down." The victim told police the men fled without taking anything.
- Someone removed an unattended Macbook pro laptop from a parkway café table in the 1100 block of Lake Street, the evening of Aug. 8. Estimated loss is $1,600.
- A box containing a Dell laptop and an iTouch music player was removed from the foyer of an apartment building in the 800 block of South Austin, the afternoon of Aug. 13. Loss was estimated at $2,100.
- A red wheelbarrow was removed from the rear yard of a house in the 400 block of Washington Boulevard between July 31 and Aug. 9.
- A cellphone was removed from an unattended vehicle via the open driver's side window around 8 p.m. in the 100 block of Madison Street on Aug. 9. Estimated loss was $440.
- Someone removed the spare tire from a Honda CR-V parked in the 200 block of Pleasant Street, overnight Aug. 9-10. Loss is estimated at $250.
Phone robbery arrests
- Oak Park police arrested Anzio Phillips, 17, of the 6200 block of South Maplewood in Chicago in connection with an attempted robbery and a robbery on Aug. 6 in the 1000 block of Thomas when Phillips allegedly attempted to snatch an iPhone from a woman's hand but was unsuccessful. Phillips allegedly snatched a white iPhone from a woman's hand as she walked down the street around 10:40 a.m., Aug. 8, in the 800 block of Iowa.
- Police arrested a Maywood juvenile, Aug. 13, who allegedly snatched a cellphone from a victim around 11:25 p.m. in the 1100 block of West Garfield Avenue. The phone was returned to the victim.
- An unsecured specialized Rockhopper mountain bike was removed from a rear yard in the 500 block of South Lombard Avenue during the day, Aug. 8. Loss is estimated at $300.
- Someone removed an unattended, unsecured mountain bike from the rear yard of a house in the 1200 block of Edmer, overnight Aug. 9-10. Estimated loss was $500.
- A secured bicycle was removed from the 7200 block of Oak Street in River Forest between July 26 and 27.
- Someone entered a house in the 900 block of South Boulevard around noon, Aug. 12, via an unlocked second-floor window and removed a 42-inch television, two game systems, skateboards and jewelry. Estimated loss was $1,480.
- A woman told River Forest police her purse, containing credit cards and prescription medication, was removed from a parked car in the West Suburban Medical Campus, 420 William St. The victim reported she had used the valet parking service and noticed the items missing when her car was returned.
Police arrested a man in the 200 block of Austin Boulevard, Aug. 13, who allegedly had 2.8 grams of heroin and two hypodermic needles on his person.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports filed Aug. 12-18 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded.
Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated.
We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
—Compiled by Jean Lotus
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|