Indonesian police charge former Oak Park residents in Bali suitcase murder

Fingerprints point to Tommy Schaefer as killer, police say. Heather Mack says she's pregnant

By Jean Lotus

Forest Park Review Editor

News sources are reporting that Indonesian police have charged Heather Mack and Tommy Schaefer with premeditated murder, but Mack's Chicago defense attorney denies she killed her 62-year-old mother and stuffed her into a suitcase outside a posh Bali hotel.

Both Mack, 19, and Schaeffer , 21, are graduates of Oak Park and River Forest High School. Mack lived in Oak Park until recently.

If convicted of the death of Sheila von Wiese Mack the two would face death by firing squad, according to media reports.

Indonesian police said fingerprints on an unidentified murder weapon, the suitcase or both point to Schaeffer as the killer, according to Chicago ABC7.

Mack also told police she is pregnant.

Michael Elkin, a criminal defense and divorce lawyer who had met Mack socially will coordinate her defense in Indonesia, according to media reports.

kingsnake from pasco

Posted: September 16th, 2014 6:31 PM

I'm not sure how Indonesia defines premeditation, but it seems that Heather Mack is extremely impulsive and quickly "loses it." I bet the Indonesian authorities are pushing for premeditation in hopes that Heather and her boyfriend will plea for a lesser charge of murder - that carries a life sentence but no death sentence. Lord above...when are we going to learn: Don't commit murder. Period. If we can't figure that much out, then at least don't commit murder in Indonesia.

Terri

Posted: August 25th, 2014 10:34 AM

To those who personally knew Tommy: sometimes people can surprise you. Look at history of people who knew criminals personally, and were shocked to find out that someone they knew had a dark side.

Terri

Posted: August 25th, 2014 10:31 AM

If, in fact, the body of Sheila Mack was wrapped in duct tape, I think the murder was premeditated. I lived in Asia for 4 years. Duct tape is not as easy to find in a store in Asian countries as it is in the USA. Whoever bought the duct tape to Bali, is probably the murderer. I think the pregnancy of Heather could be a big factor in Tommy being involved in this murder (as an accessory to murder or actual murderer). Which one of them actually did the deed, is left up to investigators' finding.

OP Transplant

Posted: August 19th, 2014 9:57 AM

Not sure I get the humor here, but I am delighted to find someone who participates on these WJ "forums" with whom I finally share some perspective. I really don't like KFC though-- am more of a Popeye's person myself.

The Real OP Transplant

Posted: August 19th, 2014 9:49 AM

Okay, that last post wasn't me. Still, weirdly, I agree with it. Is there more than one me?

OP Transplant

Posted: August 19th, 2014 9:03 AM

I don't know who is putting up posts under my name in the name of humor, but it won't stop me from expressing my views, which may be unpopular but have more than a ring of truth to them. I'm pretty confident that many of you know I'm right, but are just too lazy to think things through for yourselves.

The Real OP Transplant

Posted: August 19th, 2014 8:55 AM

I'm seeing some posts under the name OP Transplant that I didn't post. My general attitude remains, however, that we are not collectively responsible for the murder of a former OP resident in a foreign country. If I'm guilty of anything, it's being non-white and enjoying KFC. If that's a crime, lock me up.

Judi from Chicago

Posted: August 18th, 2014 11:58 PM

I moved from OakPark, and moved to downtown Chicago. I am older than Sheila and I was widowed , when our daughter was 7, and trust me it is not easy. We were in Balil last year, and she is in a Bali now. Trust me, had I had the history of Sheila and Heather, I would not have gone to Bali with her. We have to protect ourselves from mentally if people, even if family members. Tommy Exx is on YouTube , but now he is in the hotel K! It is over for him and Heather, for SE Asia is strict!

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 18th, 2014 11:04 PM

To Another Neighbor. Yes, I agree with you most definitely.

OP Resident #649 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: August 18th, 2014 10:24 PM

This all feels like a bunch of sensationalist nonsense IMHO. Whatever happens to these two happens and is deserved. Isn't there an Ebola outbreak, injustice and violence in Ferguson, the Ukraine and the Middle East that is more relevant to our existence? Have they ever found those girls in Nigeria? Anyone ever think about what's happened since the Indonesian tsunami or how much radiation is still pouring into the ocean in Fukushima? I get that this is local, but it's barely news to me.

@Gal

Posted: August 18th, 2014 10:22 PM

Gal, with all due respect, this does not appear to be a simple case of struggling kid who couldn't find her way. This is a HEINOUS crime. Let's not forget what these two are alleged to have done; it's unimaginable. I don't know that D97 or OPRFHS in the best of circumstances are equipped to help with psychopathic personalities.

Judi from Chicago

Posted: August 18th, 2014 9:58 PM

Please read about how Bali carries out its death penalty, for they do not play where drugs and murder is concern. They will learn respect, and the rape and race card, will not be accepted there. It is not easy to pay off in death cases or drug cases. You are under their laws. I had a wonderful time there last year, and Korean Air, which I will never use again, was a disaster, and they lost face with me. Singapore Air is fantastic! Singapore does hang death cases quickly. Behave folks!

pvr

Posted: August 18th, 2014 7:37 PM

The KFC race card was hysterical. The police probably just wanted to appear nice to get their cooperation. The young people have no idea that typical US tactics won't work in a sensible society with multiple cultures and ethnicities. His/her US "thug swagger" removal is probably being worked on right now. That will not be tolerated and they *will* learn how to act respectfully.

pvr

Posted: August 18th, 2014 7:28 PM

They're not likely to be executed, as premeditation has to be proven. However, in Indonesia judges make up the panels for court cases and rules of evidence are much more lenient. It sound like Mack's lawyer is there to spread some money to gain better treatment and a lighter sentence. Given that the Indonesian prosecutor has already said they will seek the death penalty, it will be a long time before either of these psychopaths see the light of day.

Judi from Chicago

Posted: August 18th, 2014 6:58 PM

KFC is very expensive in Bali, for I was there for almost two months last year! Rice is the main meal for Bali. You will get raped in prison. Duh! Tommy will be touched also. Sheila's body will be here on Wednesday. I pray she did not leave a dime to Heather! Sheila tolerated more than I would have! I would have placed her in a special boarding school,for you cannot help the mentally ill. You must prepare your children, for a world not as kind. She will take orders and obey now! smh

Another neighbor from OP

Posted: August 18th, 2014 6:02 PM

to Neighbor: Don't you think its time to re-evaluate all these social media that FOREVER will keep your group pictures and videos. Also think twice about posting in facebook or tweeter, that as we can see become immediately public domain. Don't complain later when people miss-interpret how close you were to somebody questionable.

Gal

Posted: August 18th, 2014 5:38 PM

@OP Transplant-Sorry that you took my post so personally. I felt I might have reached out to Sheila because I saw she was overwhelmed and under-prepared for the challenges of motherhood of a difficult kid. She spoke of the problems to some but I'm not sure she was given a clear path to take. My history with D97 and OPRFHS is they do very little for a struggling kid. I have been helped by "btdt" parents. Others also wish they reached out. Not about you and your perfect kids. Sleep well.

Brian Slowiak from Westchester

Posted: August 18th, 2014 4:55 PM

@ OP Transplant: It is still your singular and collective fault.

OP Transplant

Posted: August 18th, 2014 4:53 PM

I for one am starting to think that this attorney needs to be taken seriously. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/08/18/lawyer-heath-fear-for-mom-murder-suspect-heather-mack/

Horrified

Posted: August 18th, 2014 4:35 PM

Heather is also pictured smoking cigarettes while claiming to need to return to the U.S. for pregnancy treatment. Meanwhile, if the stories can be believed, both Heather and Tommy are accusing the Bali police of racism for offering them KFC chicken.

Local from OP

Posted: August 18th, 2014 3:58 PM

This story is ridiculously crazy and tragic as it is, and now we have a loquacious attorney on the scene making wild accusations about Heather Mack being sexually assaulted by the Indonesian authorities. From where I'm sitting, this is not a community issue, nor is it somehow the mother's fault for being alcoholic or unusually cruel or whatever. Anyone who's capable of this kind of crime is a monster and that's about all that can be said.

OP Transplant

Posted: August 18th, 2014 3:08 PM

Previous thread had a lot of posts about how we were all at fault because the family was ostracized and we were all in a "bubble." Now we're learning that the family had much support through schools, agencies, and mental health professionals. Just wondering if it's still my fault, or if the current silence on the subject indicates that those floating that theory might not have been right.

John Butch Murtagh from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: August 18th, 2014 2:42 PM

I think the posts on the murder of a resident was appropriate and handled appropriately by the posters. This type comments fill a gap in a community with a single mid week newspaper.

Judi from Chicago

Posted: August 18th, 2014 2:14 PM

Did Sheila get a fair trial? Please read about other countries, before you kill there! She had a very rich life, but now that she has killed her mother, who was her best friend, she will be executed, when Bali decides. You must use a Bali attorney, so the Chicago guy, just wants Sheila money! We love our children, but please do not love them so much, that they kill you. You must let go and let God. Help others, when you have a mean demon as a daughter! Rot in hell killers!

The Bottom Line from OP

Posted: August 18th, 2014 10:44 AM

...Ms Mack & Mr Schaefer will never leave the island. A sad story on many levels, however under no circumstances should the US govt attempt to intervene on their behalf. You travel to a foreign country, you are bound to follow their laws. Were it me, I'd prefer a swift execution rather than spend the rest of my life in an Indonesian prison.

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 17th, 2014 9:50 PM

Leave her friends who post on Instagram etc. out of this. By posting their user names and photos they are publicly associated with the accused on search engines. That is not fair to them just to satisfy our curiosity. These young people should remove their social media posts ASAP if possible.

Nike

Posted: August 17th, 2014 6:51 PM

it would seem everybody has loose nuts. All the parties involved are sort of suspect.

Ms. Curious

Posted: August 17th, 2014 5:35 PM

@OP Resident - It's on instagram, allimayy is the user name, it was posted 44 weeks ago on a collage of her & Heather.

OP Resident

Posted: August 17th, 2014 5:21 PM

@Calla, where's the link for that instagram?

susie

Posted: August 17th, 2014 12:56 PM

To Amy: You say the perpetrators should be brought back to the US to ensure a 'fair trial'. It's precisely such arrogant ignorance of other countries' sovereignty and failu their own rule of law that makes the US a laughing stock to the rest of the world. So any US citizen should just be brought home, no matter what, or where, the crime?? And the US doesn't exactly lead the world on human rights either seeing as mental subnormal people are sentenced to death in some States. Ridiculous comment

Calla

Posted: August 17th, 2014 12:20 PM

...about how great a friend she was to her and how she was crying writing about her and how much she'll miss her ... It just seems sad that she was ripped away from close friends, but I can see there is probably a lot more to the story than what can be seen on social media.

Calla

Posted: August 17th, 2014 12:17 PM

Well I know social media doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, but her vines were sooo very normal for the most part and showed her happy w friends. I found her best friends instagram and she had a whole long tribute to her for her 18th(?) birthday about how great a fr

In Glen Ellyn formerly from OP

Posted: August 17th, 2014 11:45 AM

Thank-you Dwyer- http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-bali-suitcase-death-mack-0816-20140817-story.html What a waste of good will by the mother. Seems like a case of spoiled little rich girl feeling entitled to the world, increasingly behaving badly. No wonder the mother self-medicated with wine. Perhaps, though, instead of deadening the emotional strain of familial strife with a little alcohol, a clearer head could have pursued a better violence-free solution. RIP Sheila. You tried your best.

missy

Posted: August 17th, 2014 11:15 AM

Heather refused to go to school. She was not on track to graduate. She would have been better served at a therapeutic boarding school to deal with her mental health woes. Whether her mother was unaware schools like this existed, or perhaps did not want to be alone, is subject to speculation. She was not in control of her daughter who had previously injured her and the daughter wasn't looking to move out. Toxic relationship that neither could not seem to extract from with a horrible outcome.

Horrified

Posted: August 17th, 2014 11:15 AM

I don't know any facts, but perhaps the girl dropped out, and maybe it was decided that a change of scenery might be good for all. There can be circumstances where moves during high school are good for kids. I speculate that maybe she got a GED, if she finished.

Calla

Posted: August 17th, 2014 10:41 AM

Why did they move to the city before Heather's Senior year in high school? Without knowing any of the reasoning, it appears on the face of it to be an extraordinarily selfish and cruel thing to do to a teen who obviously had some close friends at school.

Dwyer

Posted: August 17th, 2014 10:13 AM

Read the article in Sunday's Tribune, page 4.

In Glen Ellyn formerly from OP

Posted: August 16th, 2014 11:31 PM

Amy- I didn't mean to say that sharing those clips was useless. I meant I think they'd be useless to bolster a claim that the girl's mother was mean or abusive to her. My impression was that the girl was attempting to conjur up sympathy for herself over a year ago, but the clips, to me, just aren't clear, cohesive, or contextual, but their existence convinces me more that the girl had an axe to grind since then. How long ago did she start the relationship with her boyfriend? 400+ days?

In Glen Ellyn formerly from OP

Posted: August 16th, 2014 8:49 PM

Amy- I understood you didn't edit them. I assumed that whoever posted them did that, and did a lousy job. Two of the four clips are unintelligible and the other two has edits on either side of colorful language which only shows the woman knows and speaks loosely with a glass of wine... I noticed no clear anger or negative emotion or violence or even any of what the woman spoke directed at the video maker, despite the response, "what did you call me?" after a bunch of odd edits. Useless clips.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 8:20 PM

@In Glen Ellyn these seconds-long videos are called vines. They are designed by the app to be only a few seconds. The 400 days means the vines were posted that long ago. Heather gave us a peek into her life and at least for me it was a very telling peek. I didn't take them out of context or cut them short or edit them in any way. My point in posting the links was to bring a bit of balance into and question the picture the press is creating of this teenage girl.

indyfish

Posted: August 16th, 2014 8:05 PM

They allegedly committed a crime outside of the jurisdiction of the United States. When you leave our country you operate under a different set of rules. Best to keep out of trouble. I don't have a lot of sympathy for a grown woman living with her mom and complaining that she's mean. Don't like it? Leave but don't kill her!

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 7:15 PM

With Heather's lawyer talking a lot, it does look like her case is being set up as an as accidental accomplice to Tommy. Wonder who will represent Tommy. Whoever did it, it looks like they both participated in the attempted cover-up. The initial claim of a gang attack was not a bright idea.

In Glen Ellyn Formerly from OP

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:50 PM

Amy- where's the rest of the vinegram videos? What I viewed were very edited, brief, and certainly without context. If the kid was trying to make a case against her mom, she obviously tried way too hard to edit and it indicates to me an attempt to fabricate a character issue of her mother. People are far more self-incriminating in daily speech without any real issues. Is that all she posted? Worse than total FAIL- the girl was grasping at straws. 400 days ago? Long time to stew over nothing.

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:36 PM

"... fingerprints on an unidentified murder weapon, the suitcase or both point to Schaeffer as the killer..." OK, what does this mean? The "or" is confusing. Either the fingerprints are on both the murder weapon and suitcase or they aren't.

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:31 PM

I would put the most faith in what's captured on tape or is attributed to police who are named/photographed. Other "facts" seem to take on a life of their own. Wonder when we'll hear about whether they got fingerprints from the vase.

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:22 PM

I hope the young man will get fair and competent legal representation.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:21 PM

In this video, the Bali police say the fingerprints on the weapon are Tommy's. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1112844/It-planned-Bali-police-accuse-boyfriend-Weise-Mack-murder.html It's a video not an article but I read an article besides the one we are commenting on that specifically said her prints were not on the suitcase or the weapon.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:11 PM

more craziness here http://www.vinegram.com/v/967335946032930816 There is something wrong with this woman. That doesn't make the crime ok. I just think the whole story needs to be told.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 6:09 PM

@Horrified I found the article. It's this one! I also read it somewhere else but I can't find it. Re-read the article we are commenting on as well as the sub-headline. @another neighbor she calls her daughter a "little f@#ker" in the wine drinking video http://www.vinegram.com/v/967336337541836800 you have to listen very closely. She calls her "low-class" "whore" and "bitch" in this one http://www.vinegram.com/v/944739036394827776 just crazy here http://www.vinegram.com/v/945076414674276352

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:57 PM

I do think that the Bali police are allowing all the photos and videotapes to show the world that the process is being conducted humanely, so questions of a fair process don't factor into the legal case later. Hard not to be affected by the image of the blood covered suitcase.

Another Neighbor from OP

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:46 PM

Okay Amy, because Sheila is shown relaxing with a glass of wine, we are to jump to the conclusion that she was an abusive alcoholic? Perhaps she was. Perhaps she wasn't. But a picture of an adult having a glass of wine should not be considered any sort of proof. Otherwise, A LOT of us out here would be deemed abusive alcoholics.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:25 PM

I also want to say that since that website has changed its reporting on the fingerprints, I retract my speculation as to what occurred and who is responsible. I shouldn't have speculated in any event. Both of these young people are entitled to a fair shake and impartiality. I just hope they can get it.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:05 PM

@Horrified I can't find the article and now think I read it on that ridiculous DailyMail site which is now reporting that the police will not confirm whose prints were found. @C. Jennings We don't know what happened in that hotel room but as Americans and human beings I hope we all agree they are entitled to a fair trial and, if convicted, humane sentencing. This is one of our core constitutional rights and a fundamental human right. Our values have to stay strong no matter the crime.

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:03 PM

I guess we have to wait for more details from reliable sources as info comes in, ChiTrib and CNN seem to have done more careful reporting. I share the concern of a former post that the interests of the effect on Bali tourism and the resort will weigh in heavily.

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 4:25 PM

I do see some of the evidence details such as duct tape and the vase and ashtray reported in the British press and other international news sites but it's not clear who is providing the info to the media, which casts doubt on it. If this crime was premeditated, it was poorly planned. If a crime of passion, how do you go from that to stuffing your mother's body in a suitcase?

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 4:08 PM

Perhaps he flew over because she was pregnant? The photo on the beach shows both of their hands placed tenderly on her abdomen. News reports are contradictory though. Some report ectopic pregnancy which would seem to require immediate medical attention.

Neighbor from Oak Park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 3:56 PM

Disagree the murder appears to be premeditated. What would they have to gain? For those of us who believe in prayer, perhaps we can pray continuously for everyone directly involved in this situation. And for each other- it's such a trauma that touches our community...

C. Jennings from Oak park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 2:47 PM

Doesn't look good for either of them in this sad tale. I find it very suspicious that the boyfriend showed up in Bali after the mother and daughter had already been there for almost a week, then the mom is murdered the next day. Wasn't the daughters first account of what happened was that some gang did it? I believe it was all planned, but due to the couple's extreme stupidity, botched things up mightily. Whatever, I hope these two are not returned to the US and rot and die over there.

Horrified

Posted: August 16th, 2014 12:57 PM

Amy - where did you find the details about the fingerprints and murder weapon? I have read a lot of the online reports and haven't seen those details reported anywhere.

In Glen Ellyn formerly from OP

Posted: August 16th, 2014 12:48 PM

It was also reported that he posted online that he might not come back home from Bali. Was the mother crazy (mentally impaired)? Was the daughter? And since maybe neither was born crazy, did the daughter catch crazy from the mother, or did the mother catch it from the daughter? Was the boyfriend the mastermind or just the dumb hired help to take the fall? Ohhhh, yeah, LONG before the 86th police call these people needed to be settled with therapy or locked up to protect themselves and others.

Ms. Curious

Posted: August 16th, 2014 12:34 PM

It very well may have been planned. If you look at Tommy's last Instagram post (http://instagram.com/p/rflklpl9BO/?modal=true) He has emoticons of an airplane, a diamond, and money, money, money. If it was me posting, on my way to Bali, I'd probably have a sun, cocktail, bathing suit & swimming emoticons reflecting a tropical vacation - But a diamond & money??? Doesn't look good!

OP Resident

Posted: August 16th, 2014 12:30 PM

@Amy, I realize you know a lot about Heather and don't want to believe the worst. But no matter if mom was an alcoholic, plenty of kids have been raised in worst homes and survived. Heather is not innocent in this. I myself doubt it was pre-planned but their behavior afterwards does not show any remorse. There are people who know and love Tommy who think he will be railroaded. We'll see how this all pans out but I don't see innocent for either one of them.

Tim from Oak Park

Posted: August 16th, 2014 11:56 AM

The body was wrapped in duct tape in the suit case. I doubt that was just lying around in a hotel room. And it is a little odd for someone to fly to Bali a couple days before checkout, no? It was done so badly that it seems impossible that it was planned, but I think they are just that stupid. That would be consistent with their Facebook pages and social media and past histories. They were dumb and crazy.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 11:50 AM

The absence of Heather's fingerprints indicates to me at least that he lost it & she didn't know what to do or may have been terrified of him/in shock. If she were a part of this, she would've helped with the "clean up" & her fingerprints would've been everywhere. We don't know what happened but we should demand their return to stand trial here & if convicted be sentenced and imprisoned here. This is a human rights issue & it's our responsibility to protect & defend those rights.

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 11:35 AM

Heather will not get a fair trial in Indonesia. The police stated they are charging the couple with premeditated murder because they put the mom in a suitcase and "that shows planning" which is ridiculous because that act was after the fact. And, the blunt objects used were a vase and an ashtray--clearly an unplanned crime of passion. The police have also reported that Heather's fingerprints were NOT on the vase, ashtray or suitcase--only Tommy's were.

Question

Posted: August 16th, 2014 10:12 AM

A question for the internet savvy. I viewed the vines and notice many kids she hung out with tagged and in the vines. Many of these kids have bright futures (unlike Heather) and despite their twerking ways might want to be untagged and not associated with her anymore. Will there forever be a link to her or can they quietly untag themselves and distance themselves from the troubled young lady?

Brian Slowiak from Westchester

Posted: August 16th, 2014 10:03 AM

Hmm. Life Insurance. Payable to the person who may be responsible for the death?Think not. Heather is supposedly with child. How much of the family worth will be left for the new born after defense expenses? Who will raise the child, with whose funds? Who will explain this to the child? If she is with child.

Violet Aura

Posted: August 16th, 2014 8:36 AM

@Amy: The mother was supposedly a social worker, so that adds a new wrinkle on things. Or does it? Are most psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. seen as sane? As for being driven crazy by a crazy daughter, it is more likely that the parent sets the tone in the relationship. If the parent is an enabler, then whether the child is mentally ill or not, they will expect to be catered to. I don't know exactly what happened here, but the wealth is mysterious. Life insurance?

Brian Slowiak from Westchester

Posted: August 16th, 2014 8:18 AM

Maybe Mom was unstable because of all the turmoil the daughter caused. The original defense that gangs did this will be disproved by hotel video. The hotel wants a conviction to help its defense in the civil suit. The tourist industry wants a conviction to show the island is safe. How many retired hotel workers who were stiffed on tips by rude Americans will be on the jury?TODDI dwefense. The Other Dude Did It. She will argue he forced her to kill her Mom. He will argue she was there every step

30+ year OP Resident

Posted: August 16th, 2014 7:35 AM

Since the comments on the original story are disabled, thanks to Amy for sharing information on her daughters relationship with Heather. Very troubling story and complex crime of passion. There is far more involved here and I'm sure people know only parts of the story.

Orwell

Posted: August 16th, 2014 5:59 AM

The internet and the need for attention has eliminated any and all privacy. This girl has really left a life trail in her 7 second videos. We know the young man's mother owns a pet duck in forest park. And now we know about their settlement against a cruise line. It's all online and we're doing it to ourselves. Yowzah!

Amy from Chicago

Posted: August 16th, 2014 2:04 AM

Look at videos #5, 6, 50 & 54 at http://www.vinegram.com/u/940463768373178368 You will see that this woman was an abusive alcoholic who sought attention by indiscriminately complaining about her daughter & portraying herself as the devoted victim. This woman was disturbed and not at all what she represented herself to be to the outside. Does no one question the mental stability of a mother who calls the police on her 9-year-old daughter?

Jan Rubin from Oak park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 11:18 PM

Three lives are ruined - the baby faces a tough road- unfit mother, no grandmother to help out. All the money in the world won't help Heather is she had mental health issues that her mother chose to cover or ignore-

Leah Ann Shapiro from Forest Park, Illinois

Posted: August 15th, 2014 10:45 PM

James Mack was a highly regarded professor of music at the City Colleges of Chicago. He had a solid pension and was able to afford a nice home. I new Mr. Mack from the college and from his active participation in politics in Hyde Park. He introduced me to his wife Sheila. I am so very sorry to hear of this tragedy. No one should have to go this way.

@A. Parent

Posted: August 15th, 2014 9:42 PM

Tribune 8/16/2006: "Mr. Mack, 76, of Oak Park died Sunday, Aug. 6, in Athens, Greece, after suffering a pulmonary embolism in his hotel while on vacation. He was with his wife and daughter, Heather, said his wife, Sheila A. von Wiese."

Realtor

Posted: August 15th, 2014 9:35 PM

The house only recently became worth $1 million+, because someone redid the whole thing. Prior to that, it had not been kept up at all and sold for $650,000 in 2013.

Ms. Curious

Posted: August 15th, 2014 8:45 PM

@A. Parent - I picked up on the inconsistencies with the mother. I had noted previously how she appeared quite unstable herself, in a couple short video clips Heather had posted on Vinegram. Someone else mentioned that she was perhaps an alcoholic, and even the hotel employees noted how her moods seemed to be erratic. Sheila had stated in this interview (http://www.caxtonclub.org/reading/2013/may13.pdf) that they did not receive much from the lawsuit. I wonder if she has additional family...

Richard from Oak Park from Oak Park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 8:00 PM

The family lived for twenty-five years in a 1.7 million dollar mansion; it was not a windfall money situation, Eighty-six domestic disturbances means serous dysfunction. If I were somehow condemned to death, I would prefer a firing squad; cooler and better than hanging, the needle, or electrocution.

A. Parent

Posted: August 15th, 2014 6:48 PM

There are numerous inconsistencies regarding Sheila's background, if you read various news reports. Anyone else pick up on these? I do recall reading that her husband died from aortic aneurism while on vacation in Greece...or some sort of blood clot. Tragic family. RIP, Sheila.

Cindy from Oak Park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 6:38 PM

does it matter how the father died or how much the settlement was??? It's a terrible tragedy & two young people's lives are ruined (thru their own fault)whether for money or whatever reason. I'm praying for Schaefer's mom & hoping she can get thru this & find some peace & understanding.

Winter Skye from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: August 15th, 2014 5:46 PM

@Stan: He cut his foot on the ship--he did NOT die there! I looked at your link--anyone know how much she got in the judgment? I would like to know how the husband died. I find it odd that no story has explained that one. If he was the one who won the money, it seems quite interesting that he dies the next year or so...

In Glen Ellyn formerly from OP

Posted: August 15th, 2014 5:15 PM

Too bad the comments from the previous report weren't put here before closing the other report to further comments (or the previous article wasn't edited to allow a coherent discussion to follow the existing comments). There were some constructive contributions by many posters in that thread.

Southside from Oak Park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 4:59 PM

Earlier reports say that Heather Mack left Oprf during the 2013 school year and did not graduate.

Keith from Oak Park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 4:37 PM

Disable comments Lynn? That is very odd. Why not disable comments on all stories ? You can't imagine any good coming from it? Considering the horrific nature of this crime and, by a child she gave birth to, I am at a complete loss to understand your logic on this. Maybe the authorities should just release them and we'll all just forget this unfortunate incident occurred. Does that appeal to you more Lynn ?

Lynn from Oak Park

Posted: August 15th, 2014 4:28 PM

OakPark.com, please consider disabling comments on this story. Can't imagine and good coming of it.

Stan

Posted: August 15th, 2014 4:12 PM

Maybe the kids killed the mom to get her money. I heard she go a boatload of money when her husband died aboard a cruise ship. I think bad vibes come from money won in a lawsuit. Google this and see for yourself Mack v. Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., 838 N.E. 2d 80 (Ill. App. 2005)

Stan

Posted: August 15th, 2014 3:54 PM

Defense Attorney must be Al Sharpton and Jessie for him to proclaim they are not guilty. What a circus