Oak Park boutique Ananas will close after 20 years

Updated:

By Anna Lothson

Joan Tromp was just 23 when she opened Ananas, a boutique and women's clothing store that secured her dreams of being self-employed and left her ready to help others find joy in the little things in life. The shop has been open for nearly 20 years at 109 N. Oak Park Ave.

That chapter will soon end as she announced Friday she'll be shuttering her shop at the end of July. While it's a sad day for Tromp and her faithful following, she said she'll be forever grateful for the experience.

"I'm just really appreciative of the beautiful run. I had a good run," she said. "I opened it up and it was just amazing. It just worked from the moment the door opened."

The support from the community — especially the many women who've passed through the doors — has been incredible, Tromp said. It's being with those people that will keep the Wisconsin resident connected to Oak Park.

"I always felt that this was my home," Tromp said. You are treated well at home. I wanted people to feel good when they were here and when they left."

The decision to shut down came a few weeks ago when Tromp said she faced the reality of the situation ahead of her. The economy hasn't recovered as she'd hoped, leaving fewer people shopping around town. When she realized it was time to leave, she wanted to do so with dignity. Now in her 40s, Tromp wants to focus on her children and simplify her life.

"I didn't want to run out and be a bad movie sequel. It was time to bow out. Other things are calling me," she said. "[Oak Park] is growing in different directions. It will always have a special place in my heart."

"I loved working with women and having the freedom to do that. It's always something I've aspired to do," she said. "I like making them feel good, supporting them. Sometimes women need help. We all need help."

Contact:
Email: anna@oakpark.com Twitter: @AnnaLothson

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

OP Resident

Posted: December 8th, 2012 11:43 AM

I am always sorry to see a business close because we all know small businesses are people's dreams. However, I have to agree a bit with OPShopper. The staff was not welcoming and the prices were outrageous. We can't blame the village on this one. Our community can't support such expensive items in this economy.

stephanie from chicago

Posted: December 8th, 2012 3:27 AM

I started doing business with this store just about a yr ago.. and thought it was verynice I spent well over $2500 with this store and the owner sold my layaway and kept my $700 deposit and said there was nothing she could do. this is not how you do business, she have given boutiques a bad name. I trusted her and that she was nice and now I'm out of $700 and no merchandise to show for it.

Stevie d from Austin

Posted: September 13th, 2012 4:07 PM

Life marches on and nothing lasts forever as we both know. I had some good times in the store and won't paint them out of my past... Good luck old friend... Maybe you will now find your chatzie :)

fran from Oak Park

Posted: July 31st, 2012 12:20 AM

shopped here for years, but found the change of attitude with staff and clothing took me away. could get the same cheaper online.

tammy from chicago

Posted: July 31st, 2012 12:15 AM

no great loss. clothing very expensive for the quality. recent years the buying was bad. rude staff especially the manager, Kim.

Sarah from Oak Park

Posted: July 22nd, 2012 11:54 AM

This was hands-down the best store in Oak Park. Good luck to Joan and her staff-- they will all be missed!

Madonna

Posted: July 14th, 2012 10:14 AM

Joan, My best to you always! We worked together in the early day and I have fond memories of Karen's Angels on your walls. You deserve only the best.

June from Oak Park

Posted: July 11th, 2012 12:37 PM

What a loss to the Avenue Business District! Will it survive? I hope the remaining businesses remain here.

Sharon B from Oak Park

Posted: July 11th, 2012 10:10 AM

My daughter Amanda and I have loved this little jewel since it opened. We bought dresses, tops, skirts, very unique things. You will be missed. Good luck Joan

Sarah Corbin from Oak Park

Posted: July 10th, 2012 4:33 PM

I have always had great experiences in Ananas over the years. And it is sad to see such a unique business go. Joan - we wish you and your staff well in this new chapter.

SOP Box Sally from Oak Park

Posted: July 9th, 2012 2:34 PM

Another vacancy on Oak Park Avenue. If this keeps up, there will be no need for STREETSCAPE - no business, no traffic, no tax revenue, no problems.

ref

Posted: July 8th, 2012 9:34 PM

This is a big loss. So sorry to hear the news.

Anne Onymous from Oak Park

Posted: July 8th, 2012 6:35 PM

OP shopper- I hope you feel better about yourself getting that parting shot in. Serves them right, rude to you, they should totally go out of business. Petty jackass.

lucy

Posted: July 7th, 2012 10:12 AM

I'm very sorry to see a third boutique close along oak park ave/lake street! First Fly Bird, then Chameleon, now Anana's. I hope it's because it was time for the owner to move on and not because of the over inflated rents in Oak Park. It's very expensive to have a small business here.

Kara Keller from Oak Park

Posted: July 7th, 2012 6:29 AM

This is a real shame. Over the years, my favorite pieces have been from Ananas. They have a good eye for the unique and I have really enjoyed having this shop in the Village! Best of luck in your new adventures and thanks for many years of fun shopping!

Rez

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:39 PM

Another one bites the dust. When is the village going to pull their heads out and start creating real incentive for businesses to open up shop here?

Princess Jerri from Oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:35 PM

Favorite memory of Ananas is when I brought my wedding dress there one day and got married the next. (fun)

TDH from River Forest

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:41 PM

I found a number of beautiful, one of a kind, pieces at Ananas over the years. Some of them were expensive and quite worth it. I am sorry to see you go, but wish you and your staff well.

Dawn from Chicago

Posted: July 6th, 2012 6:09 PM

This is sad news. Wishing Joan and her staff much happiness.

OP shopper

Posted: July 6th, 2012 6:07 PM

I'm not glad to see a local, independent shop close, but I went into Ananas twice and both times the staff was incredibly rude. And when they're charging $100 for a cotton tank top, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2017

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us