Flag stolen on the Fourth returned to Oak Park home

The residents said in an email that a man returned it days later

Updated:

By Devin Rose

The American flag that had gone missing from a home in the 100 block of South Cuyler Avenue on the Fourth of July has been returned, the residents said.

Ray Komorowski said in an email Saturday that "a young man showed up last night at our door with the flag and an apology." Ray and his wife, Peg, noticed the 9-by-5-foot flag missing when they awoke July 5.

The flag is special to Peg Komorowski, she said in an email last week, because it was draped over her father's casket when he passed away years ago. Her father fought in World War II, as did his brother, who was killed in the war.

Komorowski said when she and her husband display the flag to honor the country, it also serves as a private tribute to the memory of her dad and his brother. They've been putting it out for almost 30 years.

"The moment I noticed it missing, it left a void and sinking feeling deep down," the email said.

The Komorowskis put a banner in place of the flag that asked for its return, and, Ray said, "the young man did the right thing and the flag is home."

In April, an American flag that flew over a military installation in Kuwait City during the Gulf War was stolen from an Oak Parkveteran.

rj

Posted: July 13th, 2012 6:45 PM

Sorry jr, my story is true - can't make this stuff up - don't have to when you're an R in Oak Park surrounded by intolerant, petty control freaks.

jr

Posted: July 13th, 2012 2:54 PM

Yep. That's me. Making up stories AND a true creep. Just your average Republican-About-Town.

Interesting

Posted: July 13th, 2012 2:42 PM

Ah, as I suspected, you're just making up stories - or a true creep and followed a young child around town.

jr

Posted: July 13th, 2012 1:34 PM

@Interesting: He collected TONS of candy. He just reached in and took what he wanted.

Interesting

Posted: July 13th, 2012 1:27 PM

@jr. Then your son didn't collect much candy in OP that night in 2008! Obama signs were everywhere! My children voted for McCain in the classroom mock elections that year. One was the ONLY one who did and the other there was one other kid who also voted for McCain. Methinks that the "brainwashing" in OP definitely skews in only one direction. BTW, the "brainwashing" was NOT promoted by their OP teachers. They were "fair and balanced" - like Fox News!!!

jr

Posted: July 13th, 2012 12:57 PM

It was Halloween night when my son was handing out candy when a little boy passed our house by, saying he didn't want to accept candy from someone who had an Obama sign and wasn't voting for McCain. Brainwashing starts early here.

rj

Posted: July 10th, 2012 7:10 PM

It was Halloween night when my daughter was handing out candy when a little girl passed our house by, saying she didn't want to accept candy from someone who had a McCain sign and wasn't voting for Obama. Brainwashing starts early here.

Interesting

Posted: July 10th, 2012 6:11 PM

Nope. No need to retract my statement or apologize. Re-read it. Are the posters unaware of the huge thefts and vandalism that occurs to Rep yard signs every election? Do you actually deny that this occurs? I also noticed that you conveniently ignored the poster who preceded me on 7/5. Not surprised. And don't y'all take it so personally, I wrote "small amount of looney-left...." I know that this isn't true of the majority. In the meantime, I'm guessing that the teen is future Move-On member.

LiquidEvil

Posted: July 10th, 2012 5:47 PM

Most of you are idiots. Accusing "the opposition" of stealing the flag because only "the opposition" does that kind of thing is way beyond out of touch and into full on stupid. Likely it was childish and/or drunken prank. Get a clue.

HMMMM!?!? from Oak Park

Posted: July 10th, 2012 5:21 PM

What if the flag was taken by a non-political teenager that was just looking to make trouble for a good time (as I often did when I was 17). That would make all of you on the right and the left throwing stones at each other look pretty ridiculous. But then why let facts get in the way of your petty arguments that are probably beside the point of this news story. Basta!

Get Real

Posted: July 6th, 2012 6:37 PM

Robert- Liberal college professor - no need to be redundant - is there anything else. No need for apologies - there are people in OP who make sure their dogs take aim only at the opposition. Surely going out of their way as most of the Republican signs don't remain standing too long. Yes your ilk. No paranoia - would appreciate some tolerance in that diversity we keep hearing about but rarely see.

Robert from Oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2012 3:40 PM

As a liberal college professor from UIC, I await an apology from the poster who was certain someone of my ilk had perpetrated the theft. It was obvious from the start that this had been done by some local kid or college prankster. Why politicize it in such a partisan way? Are our Republican neighbors so paranoid?

pat Healey from oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2012 1:37 PM

Interesting, I am an Oak park liberal who flies my flag. I have had an Obama yard sign stolen in 2007 and a Clancy and Harmon/Lilly signs stolen this spring. I just don't rant about it.

Wow

Posted: July 6th, 2012 12:19 PM

Thanks for the update, Marty. Now we can, at least for the time being, put the conspiracy theories to rest.

Sorry, Sorry, Tommy and Ollie

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:28 AM

Have you read Interesting's post of July 5, 8:25 pm? Don't forget the loony right.

Marty Bracco from Oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:25 AM

As a long-time resident of the 100 block of S Cuyler & friend of the Komorowski's, we were all dismayed at the blatant lack of respect this act represented. The good news is that Ray told me the flag has been returned. The answer to the comments section is "none of the below"...it was an apparent prank by a HS or college age person(s), who either felt either guilt or the wrath of their parents when it was brought home. My faith in humanity has been restored.

Freespirit

Posted: July 6th, 2012 11:20 AM

You just can't place anything of value outside of your home any more. A flag that has such deep sentimental value should never have been placed outside, unless one was going to attach a PIT BULL to it. If it's NOT nailed, glued, or cemented down, keep it inside. Temptation gets the best of ppl. Oh and by the way, I'm a PROUD Repulican and fly a WHITE SOX flag!!

Sorry, Tommy and Ollie

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:54 AM

that the truth hurts. I am neither a Tea Partier nor a Republican, but this town is infected with members of the loony left....

Tom from River Forest

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:41 AM

"Let's be ignorant" is probably a more appropriate handle.

Oliver Stone from Paranoia

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:37 AM

It was a right-wing Tea Party Conservative Republican trying to make the hippie tree-hugging lefties look bad. There was also a second gun man in the grassy knoll and we never went to the moon.

Let's be honest....

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:25 AM

If someone is going to steal a flag around here, it is going to be the self-righteous, faux progressive Move On/anti-NATO summit/UIC professor 60's hippy types that seem to have congregated around here...not some GOP-leaning business person....

Aging Disgracefully

Posted: July 6th, 2012 10:08 AM

This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. By the way, I'm a liberal and fly the flag. The country belongs to all of us.

mike from op

Posted: July 6th, 2012 9:04 AM

@interesting I'd like a bit of clarification. As a liberal am I supposed to take my flag down? Or was I never entitled to put it up in the first place? My other question is raised by driving around town. If, as you seem to think, only conservatives are flying the flag, and Oak Park is such a liberal town, why are there so many houses with flags on display? Are they closet republicans? Or could it be possible that you can be patriotic and a liberal? So which is it interesting?

Wow

Posted: July 6th, 2012 7:12 AM

Interesting -- That's quite a rant. Did you forget your medication?

M on Ridgeland from Oak Park

Posted: July 5th, 2012 8:45 PM

This is very sad that someone would do such a thing. Hope the flag is returned. The times we are living in have become very distasteful. No one has respect for anyone or their property.

Interesting

Posted: July 5th, 2012 8:25 PM

This is OP, home to a small amount of looney-left who think that the American flag is evil. This group is related to the some members of the OP Democratic party who enjoy doing the same to OP Republican yard signs. Isn't it "interesting" that it is the posters on the left that accuse OP R's of being Nazis - but there is never anyone who desecrates or steals Dem yard signs or rainbow flags. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it happens, it is R yard signs and Amer flags that are the 100-1 victims.

another oak park resident

Posted: July 5th, 2012 7:47 PM

After losing a half dozen flags to theft, we don't fly one any more.

Donna Mains from Oak Park

Posted: July 5th, 2012 4:58 PM

What an awful thing to have happened. My hopes and prayers for a speedy return of your precious flag.