Police arrest Brookfield man for discharging weapon

One in custody after four-hour standoff at Oak Park home

Updated:

By Timothy Inklebarger

Oak Park Police have arrested a man for the reckless discharge and unlawful possession of a firearm in the 1100 block of South Taylor Avenue that resulted in a four-hour standoff with police on July 29, according to an police department press release.

Police have arrested Daniel Regalado, 25, of the 3200 block of Madison Avenue, Brookfield.

Oak Park police responded to the shots-fired report at 5:30 a.m., and surrounded the home, but the eight individuals inside refused to exit.

Police cordoned off the neighborhood, ordered residents to stay inside and called in the Cook County Sheriff SWAT team to enter the home at about 9:30 a.m. The police report notes that Regalado was taken into custody at 9:15 a.m.

Seven of the eight individuals surrendered without incident. Police did not give any details about the eighth individual other than to note that the person is "associated with the address" and "was not inside when the incident occurred."

Regalado's due in court Aug. 3. His bond was set at $5,000.

CONTACT: tim@oakpark.com

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: August 4th, 2018 10:19 AM

@BK: A person like myself has no real backround on how to judge a person in regards to bond. Plus, a school boy like myself would never dream of telling an artist like a judge on how to complete wisdom and art work in.. I do like extremely high bonds in the worse cases, because no bond means a defendant who makes no motions will force the state to go to trial in I think 45 days from the hearing ready or not. The issue to bond is that someone could be held in outside custody, that is work groups outside the jail to clean up roads, parks,vacant lots, tear down buildings with hand tools, and sort recyclables To hot to work during the day, fine, work starts at 8 in the evening, bring your own lunch, and half days for those who have a job exempted for overtime. Work, fatigue and sleep are an unbarred cell.Maybe two shifts, day and night. Maybe Cool Hand Lukeish. Iam thankful for Dwyer, and anyone who challenges me, I try and sharpen my thoughts against their steel. If I was correct all the time first time, I would be female.Just ask my wife,mother (thru prayer) and my daughters. Remember, the last decision I got correct was when I said, "I do" And, I asked my wife to marry me in light I wouldn't buy a suit in.

Bruce Kline

Posted: August 3rd, 2018 10:37 PM

(Continued from before) I agree with Bill on this. And then of course, since this is a "low level" crime, (hey no one got hurt, no one was targeted) the bond must be in accordance with the crime i.e. no excessive bail in accordance with the 8th amendment (I know, how inconvenient): excessive bail is proscribed. So yeah I agree. Discharge of a weapon, reckless discharge in fact. A four-hour standoff necessitating the SWAT team. And the result: a low level felony and a (at least to this lay person) a pitiful low bond. I too am disgusted. But I kinda agree with Bill ?" it's not the judges fault if in fact there is a fault here to begin with. Hey maybe the Judge agreed with Brian: that poor Mr. Regalado was screaming out for help in an unjust system (just joking). I have no idea. What drives my fear and anger is that the state of Illinois has no remedy for what ever is going on here. Clearly folks who deal with the "nuts and bolts" of the law, like reporters (such as Bill) or police officers or lawyers would be able to tell us if Mr. Regalado's bond in fact was ludicrously too low for the alleged crime at hand. I have my own opinions on that but no facts. Maybe Brian can weigh in. Brian do you know?

Bruce Kline

Posted: August 3rd, 2018 10:34 PM

Ramona: It's unfortunate that someone as smart as Bill resorts to derision and ridicule rather than engage in rational argument. I for one am sympathetic to your plight, since I live in Oak Park ?" I am not sure Bill does ?" and the recent stickup of our tourist guests a week or so ago, happened in my neighborhood (Lake and Forest). Disgusting. So Ramona, I feel your pain. Seriously. Our community is under attack. Anyone who denies this has taken a detour to Candyland. There is no doubt in my mind that this "gentleman" is a future all around street thug set to reign down havoc on our communities. But as Bill implies we are a nation of laws ?" not men (or woman) ?" in that "presumption of innocence" is still the law of the land. Prior arrests, even three or four or whatever, are not convictions. Arrests do not equate to guilt. As far as how the law views the seriousness of reckless discharge of a weapon, on one hand we are appalled at all the gun violence and on the other hand a gun crime such as described here is treated by the law as a class 4 felony ?" the least serious of all felonies. But it is still a felony. Yes, you're right, as anyone who has trained with a gun knows, a bullet can go right through a wall and kill someone. So what he (allegedly) did, is reckless as the law suggests, and should, in my layman's view, be dealt with more severely. Bill points out, something that judges must continually deal with when setting bond: Illinois prisons are overflowing with felons, more so than any state (to my understanding) so judges are encouraged not to "unnecessarily" make the situation worse by jailing non violent offenders. And a non violent crime this is, since no one incurred bodily harm nor was targeted. Judges are in a difficult situation.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: August 2nd, 2018 9:39 AM

Alas, Jim, I don't think the police want to tip the criminals as to police procedure. What bothers me is when one of my beloved boys and girls in blue make a good arrest, a white shirted upper management officer speaks at the press conference. I can understand why an arresting officer should not make a verbal statement, but how come the officer cant stand on the stage?

Bill Dwyer

Posted: August 2nd, 2018 8:38 AM

Yes, Ramona. Ya got me. I do think it's OK that someone fired a gun through a wall and put innocent people at risk. And I further think he should be coddled if at all possible. Happy now?

Jim Coughlin

Posted: August 2nd, 2018 2:11 AM

Rather than focus on the criminal I'd like to learn more about how law enforcement was able to resolve this situation with anyone being physically harmed. This must have been a terrifying experience for the neighbors. There's rarely any follow-up reporting by the Wednesday Journal on local crime incidents. Are those who are convicted getting a slap on the wrist or jail time?

Wes Gathings

Posted: August 1st, 2018 11:33 PM

Sorry Bill but I'm not sure where you got that information from. Just going to https://www.cookcountysheriff.org/ will show today's population "behind the wall" at 6,137. The jail's daily population hovered around 10,000 a few years ago. Also, a quick search will reveal that Chief Judge Timothy Evans did in fact order judges to set bail at "affordable" amounts. I'm specifically responding to your comments that lows bonds are not within the judges' control and that the jail being full is one reason why bonds are low. I agree with a lot of things you post and appreciate the info you provide but again not sure if I misunderstood what you said but if not neither of those comments were what I have seen to be true.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: August 1st, 2018 10:53 PM

Mr. Dwyer, I beg to differ . As I did a bit more research, turns out he has been arrested 3 times before this incident in Oak Park. Not sure about convictions, didn't have to time to dig that deep. If you don't think coming up with $500 is "getting off easy" after discharging a weapon and the public spending hundreds of man hours to contain the situation, then I suggest you take another glance at the Oxford Dictionary. Perhaps my perspective is a bit different since I live less than a block from where it happened. Why would you compare this to a non violent felony? You don't think discharging a gun is a violent offense? I guess only if he hit somebody would it become violent? So you would be ok if the gun went off, went through your bedroom window, as long as it didn't anybody. I don't understand your logic.

Bruce Kline

Posted: August 1st, 2018 10:40 PM

Hey Brian, nice satire. I think you hit on all the sacred cows of the modern progressive state.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: August 1st, 2018 5:18 PM

@ Mary Jo: He was expressing his suppressed inner child. I will be contacting you when I start up his go fund me page.

Mary Jo Erickson from Oak Park

Posted: August 1st, 2018 2:59 PM

@ Brian. I agree. He was merely expressing his Inner Child. Next he'll probably move into the affordable housing.

Mike Hanline

Posted: August 1st, 2018 1:03 PM

Sounds to me like seven other people should have been arrested as well.

Bill Dwyer

Posted: July 31st, 2018 12:59 PM

Because he hasn't been let off easy, Ramona. He was released on bond. If he has prior convictions- not just arrests, that will come up if he's convicted on the current charge. I really don't think people are aware of just how limited judges are regarding setting higher bonds. I've seen judges offer probation plea deals on non-violent felonies because there's no room at the county jail and the prison system, and they're being urged to find ways to avoid incarcerating people. That's not the judges fault. Maybe people should have a discussion about those circumstances.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: July 31st, 2018 12:37 PM

Bill...I assume based on his criminal past, they could probably charge him for some parole violations for starters. Probably not though because every time he gets arrested the judge goes easy on him like this one. Why don't they ever publish the name of the judge who lets him off easy? Would make things a lot easier for the voting public come election time.

Ramona Lopez

Posted: July 31st, 2018 12:32 PM

According to CPD arrest records. He was arrested on 12/23/2015 for possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number. This will NOT be the last time this young man has a run in with the police. http://publicsearch1.chicagopolice.org/Arrests?FirstName=daniel&LastName=regalado&CbNumber=&ChargeId=&CPDArea=&District=&Beat=

Greg Mitchell

Posted: July 31st, 2018 10:53 AM

Brian, Was not sure at first that your post was satire (the most important facet of good satire in my opinion), but yes, the young man is clearly striking out at the system that has unfairly suppressed his self-actualization.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: July 31st, 2018 10:36 AM

This man is no clown, or dog. He is a human being. He has probably been mistreated, disenfranchised by the schools and safety nets of safe zones that should have created a full benefit free existence for him to develop his full potential . Not groveling for but demanding his full and rightful share of the prosperity the system has deprived him of His work shirt indicates his vain attempt to find a meaningful life in the post industrial American life, an existence where any upward mobility was denied him due to the ethnic sounding last name. Stranded on the low end, the shooting was nothing more than an outcry, a cry for help against a system that denies him any value. His hair braids show that he has a backround in hair art, if not fabric art. He should be given a free seven year scholarship to study weaving, basket weaving fabric and hair art at say Dominican University, where after graduation he should be granted a professor tenured position to teach his art. After two grueling years of teaching, he should take a five year sabbatical to study weaving in the equatorial countries, coming back to write a book" My world through hair weaving: Weaving a just culture one hair at a time" and going on a speaking and book signing tour,. Are you deaf and blind to the anguish in this man childs soul?

Jeff Schroeder from Oak Park

Posted: July 31st, 2018 8:07 AM

There is something missing from this story. Was this a bunch of drunk guys sitting around and one decides to fire off his gone at the fireplace for fun. If that happened, why the four hour standoff? Or, the police caught on to something potentially bigger which makes one wonder about the small bail. The standoff should have resulted in a higher bail at least.

Bill Dwyer

Posted: July 31st, 2018 5:08 AM

This clown was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, and I assume police have evidence of that fact. What else can they charge him with? There are no witnesses, at least that will talk. So exactly what do you want the judge to do? Make things up so he can impose stiffer bail?

Al Berggren

Posted: July 30th, 2018 10:20 PM

Are you kidding me??? The guy fires shots in a residential neighborhood, has a 4 hour standoff with police, requiring the SWAT TEAM, and is basically let loose on a bond of only $5,000. Who's the Judge? He should be locked up with this bum.

Roxann Lopez

Posted: July 30th, 2018 10:09 PM

Love the fangs. Glad he smiled to show 'em off.

Bill Dwyer

Posted: July 30th, 2018 7:42 PM

Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2018

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us