Former caretaker charged with deceiving elderly widow out of River Forest home

Updated:

By Anna Lothson

A Chicago woman has been charged with conning a 93-year-old disabled widow of a World War II veteran out of her River Forest home and leaving her at a nursing home without any of her belongings, forcing staff to provide her with second-hand clothes from former residents, according to a news release from the Office of Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez.

Ausra Rollins, 47, of Chicago, has been charged with one felony count of financial exploitation of the elderly. Rollins was working for the victim as her caretaker when she allegedly tricked her into signing over the deed to her River Forest condominium.

According to prosecutors, the elderly victim, who has vision and hearing impairments, trusted Rollins and relied on her assistance because she was widowed and had no children.

In April 2011, Rollins obtained power of attorney over the victim. Shortly after, she allegedly convinced the victim to sell her condominium to her, according to the release. The defendant proposed that she would pay the victim $5,000 a month until $110,000 was paid. When the victim agreed, Rollins had her sign numerous documents that she claimed were associated with the agreement.

In early 2012, Rollins left the victim at a nursing home in Westchester without any of her personal possessions.

The release states that an investigation found property records showing one of the documents the victim signed was a quit-claim deed that transferred the condo's ownership to Rollins. The defendant fraudulently obtained this quit-claim deed. At the time the deed was filed, the defendant had not paid the victim as agreed and in fact had only made one payment of $5,000.

The victim's vision and hearing impairments resulted in being unaware that the document she signed was a quit-claim deed. Rollins also continued to live in the victim's home after leaving her at the nursing home even though she no longer needed to care for her.

The defendant appeared in bond court today in Maywood where Judge Ramon Ocasio III set a $5,000 cash bond bail. The defendant's next court date is July 26 for a status hearing. Rollins is facing up to 15 years in prison if she is convicted.

Contact:
Email: anna@oakpark.com Twitter: @AnnaLothson

Unfortunately

Posted: July 30th, 2012 11:29 AM

@U. I understand why you think this, but re-read that sentence and realize that it is nonsense - it actually says and means nothing. This was intentional. It appears, though, as if you might have applied your personal biases. It is also why I highlighted the importance of "hearing" the name and THEN "scream NOOOOO!" This method of communicating thoughts has always been limiting, but it's better than nothing!

U_ALREADY_KNOW

Posted: July 30th, 2012 10:53 AM

@Unfortunately, I see you leave comments and dont remember what you wrote just scroll up a look at your first comment "Doesn't the name Ausra Rollins tip you off a bit reguarding the race of the alleged perp" these were your words.All I was saying is that she must be white because a black woman picture would have been posted all over,your statement clearly but indirectly states she's black.You might scream nooooo on this blog,In the real world you're probably quiet as a field mouse, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Unfortunately

Posted: July 27th, 2012 2:32 PM

@U and M. Huh? Can you please reference what I said that supports your talk of "crazy" or "weird" or racist? I think that you two have some issues here. In the meantime, fwiw, not even the State's Attorney showed a picture: http://www.statesattorney.org/index2/press_RiverForestCaretaker.html Why are you two so hung up/sensitive on pictures and race? To repeat, "I won't request a photo" when I see someone is considering hiring Ausra Rollins, "I'll just scream NOOOOO!"

U_ALREADY_KNOW

Posted: July 27th, 2012 2:07 PM

Like I said ,@M Thanks for the confirmation. No picture shows the race, if it was a black woman or man the pictures would be posted on every site. I did a search on her name and multiple articles popped up and not one had a picture. So @ unfortunately get your facts right before you talk crazy.

M

Posted: July 25th, 2012 5:49 PM

Ausra is a LIthuanian name meaning "Dawn." I guess Unfortunately knew that when she posted her comment? And she doesn't hire LIthuanians? I don't get it. What do you have against Lithuanians? Weird.

Unfortunately

Posted: July 25th, 2012 4:24 PM

@U - Huh? Doesn't the name "Ausra Rollins" tip you off a bit regarding the race of the alleged perp? I personally don't need to see any picture, the name is more than sufficient. If my elderly neighbor tells me that she is considering hiring a caretaker by the name of Ausra Rollins - I won't request a photo ID - I'll just scream NOOOOOO!

U_ALREADY_KNOW

Posted: July 25th, 2012 3:42 PM

You don't need to see the picture, if it was a Black woman or man there would be a picture, no picture tells the whole story!!!!

Vince from Oak Park

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 10:48 PM

What was the judge thinking??? $5,000 cash bond? I'm sure she has already skipped town.

Mares

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 3:13 PM

@ Defendant. If this was a street criminal, by all means, please print a photo. I am out and about on foot alot and like to keep aware of my surroundings and who is around me.

Defendant

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 3:02 PM

Would like to know if I know this person by face?

Mares

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 2:58 PM

Don't care what color the front door is. A P.O.S. is a P.O.S.

WARNING from the Powers That Be

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 2:37 PM

The Wednesday Journal will soon disable comments on this page.

What are you getting at?

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 2:34 PM

Are you wondering what color was the front door?

Defendant

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 1:46 PM

Picture?

Joe Public

Posted: July 23rd, 2012 1:46 PM

ann from Oak Park: Unfortunately, sociopaths don't feel shame (or guilt or remorse)

anne from Oak Park

Posted: July 22nd, 2012 1:15 PM

That woman should be ashamed of herself.