Stanley Cup coming to River Forest

Blackhawks fans will have an opportunity to get their photo taken with Stanley Cup for $25 as part of church fundraiser

On Monday, July 22 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Blackhawk fans will have an opportunity to have their photo taken with the Stanley Cup by a professional photographer. Each photo will cost $25 with proceeds benefiting the ministries and missions of First Presbyterian Church of River Forest.

Reserved times will be available on Monday, July 15 after 12 p.m.. Details at www.firstpresrf.org.

River Forest Presbyterian Church supports many domestic and international missions including MOPS, Circle Urban Ministries on Chicago's west side, and C.A.R.E. Philippines.

NotTom from River Forest

Posted: July 22nd, 2013 4:36 PM

Not possible, Done. I have a law degree from Georgetown (that I really earned).

Done from Oak Park

Posted: July 22nd, 2013 4:20 PM

NotTom - you, sir, are a moron.

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: July 22nd, 2013 3:12 PM

@MomHockeyFan, I would have loved to have bought a ticket. It would have been nice to know about this before registration opened (and completely filled up). Oh well, no worries. Life moves on...

NotTom from River Forest

Posted: July 22nd, 2013 2:56 PM

MomHF, you don't understand. If people with some "wealth" decide to freely give of themselves to charity, that's selfish at best, and racist at worst. Most of OP & a growing portion of RF are of the view that only govt can decide the best way to take care of those less fortunate. This whole idea is, in their perverted world view, the epitome of why wealth needs to be transferred from people like you, to the "poor" through the govt. Sick, isn't it?

MomHockeyFan

Posted: July 22nd, 2013 1:22 PM

This is a fundraiser. If you don't like the cause, don't buy a ticket. How is this any different than buying a ticket to a swank charity event, and having a few pennies of said ticket go to the "cause." Oh, that's right, it's better because there is no overhead to this event. Spend your money somewhere else but don't criminalize someone's good intent, which, in fact will benefit many. As for seeing the cup for free, there are opportunities to do that, too. GO HAWKS!

Not Sure

Posted: July 21st, 2013 11:49 PM

Just think if every person who gets the CUP sold it how much gelt could be raised?

Hockey Fan

Posted: July 20th, 2013 10:07 PM

You don't get it. Just because it's helping something you don't support, you don't see any good in it. I'm not even saying these organizations are something I'm part of, but I support whatever it is the employee wants to do. IT'S HIS CHOICE. Also, you suggesting bringing the Cup to Hepzibah would not raise money...yes it would allow the children to see it. But if there's no financial support for the house the children wouldn't be there!! It's not even worth having this debate with you.

Not sure

Posted: July 19th, 2013 1:19 PM

As good of a rationale as gambling to raise funds for govt. Why not bring Cup TO Hepzibah and let children see and touch it. I guess that wouldn't work into RFPC since no money would be rolling into their coffers.....

Hockey Fan

Posted: July 18th, 2013 10:33 PM

To OP Transplant and Not sure...you don't even know the person! How ignorant of you to call him/her a greedy rat-bastard. I think this is a good way to fundraise for 2 organizations that the employee cares about that may need help financially, and if you don't agree or want to support it then don't get your picture taken with the Cup. It's that simple. Also, I'm reminding you that it's not only helping RF Pres but ALSO Hepzibah! You people disgust me.

OP Transplant

Posted: July 18th, 2013 3:30 PM

Kudos to "Not Sure" for his willingness to call out this greedy rat-bastard trying to fund raise for a church. This unnamed Blackhawks employee is obviously a monster!

Not sure

Posted: July 18th, 2013 2:17 PM

The shame is in CHARGING $$!!! Couldnt this wonderful Blackhawk employee just allowed the cup to be there for a couple hours and let people take pics with it??? Last time I checked the RF Pres Church has plenty of resources from a very wealthy congregation.....

NotTom from River Forest

Posted: July 18th, 2013 11:47 AM

ReallyMostEveryWJCommenter...extended Golf Clap to you, though you forgot to add..."more laws to take away guns from those criminals (even though they don't obey gun laws)...it's great we in RF have OP in the way so those kids from Austin don't Trick or Treat here....guns = bad...SUV's = bad....Prius = good"..there is more, but you get the point.

ReallyMostEveryWJCommenter from Oak Park

Posted: July 18th, 2013 10:52 AM

It's George Bush's fault....this is how evil corporations act...church = bad...government = good. It makes me feel good to care about the plight of the less fortunate, I just won't actually do anything constructive about it...emotion = good....logic and facts = bad. Those who disagree with me are racists, homophobes, mouth-breathers. The Blackhawk logo offends me on behalf of native Americans (though I didn't ask them & I don't really know one, or anyone else of color personally).

Hockey Fan

Posted: July 18th, 2013 10:15 AM

Also, those of you who say it should benefit Ridgeland Commons because the Hawks used to practice there ,etc, why don't you pick up the phone and call the Hawks yourself? But really, why are you turning this generous offer from a Blackhawks employee into a negative event?? People these days....

Hockey Fan

Posted: July 18th, 2013 10:10 AM

It sickens me to see people react negatively to this. First off, get the facts straight. As a Blackhawks employee, he has the right to do whatever he wants with the Cup for the day he has it!!! Many other organizations have done things like this before. And it's not only helping RF Pres Missions, but also Hepzibah (a local children's foster home). Get your facts straight, and start acting like adults. If it bothers you that much, don't show up and get your picture.

Marty Bracco from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: July 17th, 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks for pointing out my grammatical error, Alan. Sister Dorothy Mary was my 4th grade teacher, and one of the nuns who, in full habit, skated with Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, et al. She'd have been disappointed with my sentence structure.

Alan from Oak Park

Posted: July 17th, 2013 11:41 AM

Marty I know you didn't mean it this way, but I read your post a seeing Bobby Hull in full nun's habit!

Really

Posted: July 17th, 2013 12:03 AM

I guess RF Pres Church can also thank WJ for the free pub which indirectly is supporting a religious belief..... In order to sell anything..you must give something up.....

Tom from River forest

Posted: July 16th, 2013 9:59 PM

WJ commenter - golf clap

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: July 16th, 2013 5:57 PM

So all the times for a photo are booked (since it was yesterday that reservations were being taken). Can people still come and see the Cup, or only those with a photo-sitting reservation?

Marty Bracco from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: July 16th, 2013 5:20 PM

Not only did the Blackhawks practice at Ridgeland when the Stadium was in use, once practice ended the team invited nuns from Bishop Quarter and St Edmund (my school) to skate with the players. Nothing cooler than watching your 4th grade teacher/nun skating with Bobby Hull in full habit!

Suzanne Vestuto from Oak Park

Posted: July 16th, 2013 4:49 PM

Jim, I was one of those kids that watched the Hawks practice at R. Commons in the 60s. Growing up in Austin, my friend's father piled a group of us girls (he had 6 daughters) in his lite blue station wagon of the day, and we could watch -for free - Stan M., Eric N., Bobby H., et al practice when the Ice Capades were using the Stadium! Fun times! Who knew I would end up moving to the Village after college.

RFHockeyFan

Posted: July 16th, 2013 4:10 PM

Looks like other comments were made while I was writing my post...sooo... Guess what - if you don't want to have your picture taken with the cup, or if you don't like the Christian "message," you don't have to participate! Enough said!!

RFHockeyFan

Posted: July 16th, 2013 4:06 PM

Since there wasn't much info in the article, I'll add some details. My understanding is that each Blackhawks employee gets the cup for a day, and can do whatever he/she wants during that day. These fundraising events with the cup have been done many times; this is the first time First Pres has been involved. The Hawks employee wanted to do this event, to benefit a couple organizations near/dear to his heart. So,previous poster,nothing sinister. A group (max 6 ppl) can get a pic for $25-win/win!

Jim Coughlin from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: July 16th, 2013 3:54 PM

Scott, the Blackhawks actually used the rink at Ridgeland Common as a practice facility during the 1960s. There are legendary stories about Bobby Hull cruising into town for a morning or afternoon workout and then heading over to a neighboring watering hole for a couple of libations.

Scott from Oak Park

Posted: July 16th, 2013 3:43 PM

Why isn't this going to help rebuild Ridgeland Commons, a place that introduced us to hocky rather than some church that is using it to spread their "message"? It doesn't seem right that a non-sports centered organization is going to make a profit off of a sports teams success when R/C really needs the funding & help.

Shame

Posted: July 16th, 2013 2:59 PM

Selling the Cup ? Shouldnt the charity be allowing residents to just take a picture with a great trophy? Whats next, RF Pres Church having a gambling and stripper night for $50 entrance fees????

Most Every WJ commenter

Posted: July 16th, 2013 2:31 PM

Why does the WJ refuse to say what color the Cup is? Seems awfully inconsistent. I think I should get a free picture because my kids are out of school and my taxes are too high. I love my gun. How do we keep people from Austin from trick or treating at my house? (Never too soon to plan). Oak Park wastes money on things I don't care about. Guns!