Oak Park juvenile avoids abduction

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

A 15-year-old girl walking home from Ridgeland Common around 9:30 p.m. on June 7 avoided an attempted abduction by four men, Oak Park police reported.

The girl, an Oak Park resident, was walking in the 400 block of South Scoville Avenue when three men exited a green, older-model, four-door sedan and approached her.

One man grabbed the girl's arm and said she "should come and party with them," according to the police report.

The victim refused and the offender released his grip, according to police. The man who grabbed the girl's arm is described as a black male, about 20 years old, roughly 6 feet tall, with a slim build, hair in shoulder-length dreadlocks and tattoos on his arm.

All of the men were about 20 years old, according to a description given by police. Of the two other men who exited the car, one was described as "bald" while the other had his hair "in a faded mohawk style." All wore white T-shirts and dark pants.

The offender and the two men with him then got back into the car, which was driven by a fourth man, and fled the scene.

According to Oak Park Police Commander LaDon Reynolds, the victim didn't sustain any injuries.

Trish Caldwell from Oak Park

Posted: June 10th, 2011 9:47 AM

between this and the Terrorist suspect who lives in River Forest that we keep reading about what is going on. Just be sure to teach your children to be alert and carry cell phones. Times are changing no matter where we live. I still love OPRF and plan on staying.

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 9:32 PM

Bob, Oak Park has everything you want. Day in Our Village speaks for itself. We still have the highest per capita police officers to residents in the country.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 9th, 2011 9:29 PM

@Bob- I fail to see the point of empty and nondescriptive remarks. If I thought Oak Park were turning into the westside, I would move. I stated plainly previously that I don't believe it's unreasonable to expect a 15 yr old to be safe walking home at 9pm in Oak Park. Were this the westside I probably would have said "So, women get grabbed a lot." I guess I'm missing your point because you really don't have one.

Bob

Posted: June 9th, 2011 9:00 PM

OP I would attempt to stick around if it weren't for the high taxes, property, sales and income, what do we have to show for them. Attempted abductions, women getting robbed, inability to feel safe walking alone at night. JG I made a comment pertaining to the Julian bullying saying "west side" and it seem to have struck a nerve. Your tone in these comments seems to validate my previous comment, maybe not fully but a little.

Another OP resident

Posted: June 9th, 2011 8:29 PM

Now that the children are in bed, it's time to talk about how we're gonna deal with these bold young street criminals. How do FEMA experts say we should handle potential chicagoland meltdowns? Where do ex-Chicagoans go? Minneapolis?

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 6:09 PM

POS are you referring to me? Where did I say such?

POS

Posted: June 9th, 2011 6:04 PM

OP, one minute you say stay, the next get out. Should I stay or should I go now?

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 9th, 2011 5:55 PM

@Bob- What you said to me made no sense. Care to elaborate, or were you directing a comment at me for show?

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 5:15 PM

The media can add to the perception both good and bad. Its all how things are reported in the media which makes the biggest difference. Who is REALLY responsible? News directors an TV Stations and Managing Editors at Newspapers. The truth or perception will scare you or set you freeeeeee.

OP Resident

Posted: June 9th, 2011 4:54 PM

Bob, a good citizen does not run away. Stay in Oak Park and work to make this a better community. Get involved. Make a difference.

Bob

Posted: June 9th, 2011 4:01 PM

Interviewed in the morning by detectives? This happened at night my lord, why even have police? Well like I said before I can't wait to get out and head west. Everyone has blinders on in this town, Chicago don't even get me started there, two places I will avoid spending money. JG sounds more and more like you think this is the west side by your comments, an awakening perhaps? There are some good, smart commetns on this board by those who see what is going on.

OP

Posted: June 9th, 2011 2:28 PM

OP Rez, call'em as you see'em ah? Your eyes must be deluding you. I suppose you'd rather to media report no crime at all, I'm sure that would help you agenda.

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 1:38 PM

The same ratio we gain every time we do something smart and wise in this community. Its a wash.

EP Resident

Posted: June 9th, 2011 1:04 PM

What do you think is the ratio of number of women attacked in OP to the number of people who stop shopping there?

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 11:45 AM

Thats a big if. So I dont see failure as an option. Thanks for shopping and spending money here. We do need it.

EP Resident

Posted: June 9th, 2011 10:31 AM

to Parent: I may not live in OP, but I shop in OP, my dentist is in OP, my church is in OP, my son attends classes in OP, my son has friends in OP. I'll comment on any situation I think endangers my family. If all the outsiders stopped doing business in OP, your town would fail.

O P Rez

Posted: June 9th, 2011 9:07 AM

Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em. I wonder if the media outlets want to conjure up any controversies?

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 8th, 2011 11:15 PM

Exactly @ "@Mark Finley". For the record, we moved here before 95. I don't know where the links are anymore, but if I find the time, I'll dig them up. Sorry, but it is a fact (according to the material published online) that violent crimes are up in Oak Park.

OP

Posted: June 8th, 2011 11:12 PM

O P Rez, all your posts show that you underplay, even flat out ignore any and all negative aspects about Oak Park. Having a positive attitude about where you live is one thing, but your posts contain such spin that it's hard to take what you post seriously. Plus it's completely disregards those who have been victims in OP. If you work for OPPD, the village government, OPHA etc... then I completely understand your agenda.

@Mark Finley

Posted: June 8th, 2011 10:26 PM

did you miss the part that one of the guys grabbed the girl's arm? That would be a battery. Your assertion that "there was no battery" makes me wonder about your assertion that violent crime is down. What time period are you considering? I think the most recent FBI crime statistics for OP would not reflect last year's homicide, for example.

Jim M. from River Forest

Posted: June 8th, 2011 10:20 PM

Correction: Make that Chief Weiss

Jim M. from River Forest

Posted: June 8th, 2011 10:19 PM

Hey Tanksley, put some camera's up. What are you waiting for ? Ask Chief Limon how he likes them.

Mark Finley from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 9:48 PM

Crime is actually down including violent crime when compared to the 80s and 90s. Most of you who have commented must have come after 95, during our grossly over priced housing boom. Those of us here before houses cost more than 100,000 and didn't sell out, think this is still a great diverse place to live. Why are some of you jumping to the conclusion a crime was committed? There was no battery; the young woman did not leave with the gentlemen and there was no evidence of an abduction

Another OP resident

Posted: June 8th, 2011 9:23 PM

About that pepper spray... @Oak Park Parent from Oak Park. At what point would you say the offender becomes offensive enough to warrant spraying? And then you'll call 911, is that your plan?: You carry spray in your hand at the ready during rush hour like that?

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 9:12 PM

Even if it wasn't an honest attempt at "abduction", a teenage girl was still grabbed by a group of guys while walking alone at night. It's till threatening and intimidating to the average woman, and certainly not the safest of situations. I don't think it should be dismissed as "testosterone". The person who pointed out the usage of the word has a point, but lets not make it seems as though grabbing girls/women is somehow OK.

Jim Bowman from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 8:13 PM

OP Rez is on to something.

O P Rez

Posted: June 8th, 2011 7:20 PM

My take on it is most of the hype is the perception and the fact that the WJ wrote an article about it. It sounds to me to be an incident of young kids wanting to party with a complete stranger who may be an attractive person of the opposite sex. I am by no means down playing abductions. It seems to me this wasnt a person or persons trying to "abduct" someone but rather some young idiots with too much testosterone. Either way its a good outcome to a crazy situation.

M from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 7:09 PM

Hard to believe that 4 men would let a girl, walking alone, go that easily. And, she didn't report it until the next day. Maybe I'm a little sceptical.

A. Parent

Posted: June 8th, 2011 6:56 PM

PARENTAL ALERT: Last week, I noticed unsavory- appearing men loitering, lurking near/on Home St. bridge after school dismissa, watching students who were walking home from Lincoln, Ascension, Brooks. Kids are not safe, even in groups. POLICE, please step up patrols on walking routes to/from school.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 6:28 PM

@God Bless - See the fine print. Crime as a whole may be down, but VIOLENT crimes are actually up. @ the people blaming the parents - That's ridiculous. It's not unreasonable to feel a 15 yr old is capable of walking home in Oak Park. Yes, this crimewave is scary, but I'm not a fan of "lock your kids up" parenting. Certainly not to the point of actually placing blame on the parents when crimes happen just as readily at 3pm as 9pm out here. When a teenager can't walk home, it's time to move.

J

Posted: June 8th, 2011 6:27 PM

I'm glad the girl is okay but let's be real here, "diversity" shouldn't even be part of this conversation. Unless someone can point to the section in the article that indicates the abduction was racially motivated or that there is some sort of abduction trend why even bring race into it? The article doesn't even state the race of the girl in the incident.

Jason T. from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 6:22 PM

Sadly, I fear Oak Park's advantages are starting to be outweighed by its disadvantages.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 6:00 PM

I agree with Lydia. I like all of the improvement ideas, but one of the main reasons we stay here is because safety. It doesn't matter how beautiful we make Oak Park if people are too afraid to get out and enjoy it. As for being out at night, these sorts of crimes seem to happen in broad daylight as well, according to all I've read.

parent

Posted: June 8th, 2011 5:15 PM

Notice that the researcher lives in River Forest. Not much diversity there. So, it's okay for us, but not for you? Frankly, you shouldn't be commenting on things that happen in OUR TOWN. It's not yours.

Oak Park Parent from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:57 PM

it doesn't have to be 9:30 at night this sort of thing can happen anytime, I believe in the buddy system - don't walk alone ever. A friend was approached by 3 young adults at 5 p.m. near South Blvd and Oak Park Ave. (during rush hour with plenty of people near by). Good thing she had pepper spray. Pepper spray is great for it immmediately stops the offender then you can have time to dial 911

Mark from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:43 PM

Bowman and Matt, you are jumping to conclusions. Diversity is great and valuable, and the fact that Oak Park has it has NOTHING to do with this attempted crime! This was right by the Jewel on Madison, perhaps the busiest store in Oak Park. Jewel security guards should not be sitting on the bench all day and night, but should be patrolling the lot. Persons not from Oak Park, and less noble than the average Oak Parker, frequent this Jewel all day.

john murtagh from oak park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:40 PM

Based on the detailed descriptions she got a real good look at them. As far as being the parents fault, I don't buy it. Make sure your kid has a cell phone with 911 in the first spot on the speed dial. Tell him or her to use it to call the cops. Do not waste time calling your Mom, your buddy, or your boyfriend. Call when you think the situation is potentially dangerous. Do not wait until your scared stiff. Finally, do not stop to talk to strangers in the street, particularly four strangers.

GBI

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:25 PM

PS: I am sure glad the girl is safe.

God Bless Ignorance

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:24 PM

@Jim: we need researchers to keep us from being swayed by people like you and Mel Rose. Crime is actually down, and it's only perceptions generated by our discussions of incidents like these (and tinged, whether we like it or not, by things like race and social class) that make us feel besieged. And it's the money we spend on things that increase our sense of collective investment in our community--sidewalks, affordable housing, etc.--that fight not just crime but the causes of crime.

Matt

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:22 PM

Mr Bowman - I agree. Let's be honest, "diversity" is simply PC for higher crime, and higher taxes to subsidize the costs of housing, education and crime.

Another OP Parent from Chicago

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:14 PM

Why would you allow your 15 year old to walk home alone at that time of night. I don't care where you live... I am still careful at that time of night, whether it be walking or getting out of my car from my garage. This is 2011 and people need to wake up and figure out that just because you live in OP does not mean that bad things don't happen here. No matter what race, gender, or how much money you have. Whether it be these guys or the doctor that was recently caught from Craiglist.

Paul Obis, the dad from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:11 PM

I agree with pretty much everybody. It IS important to maintain our our progressive integration policies and I think OP police generally do a good job. That said, I agree with the first writer, Lydia. Oak Park DOES seem to be going downhill. There seems to be more serious crime than ever.

Jim Bowman from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:04 PM

God bless diversity! People in danger of abduction, and Researcher is worried about diversity? God bless researchers!

Christine Monroe from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:03 PM

I think people forget that just because we live in Oak Park, River Forest, etc, that there are NO GATES to keep the bad people out. It does not matter where you live, you have to be alert and teach your children the same thing. Although I do agree that we should not spend so much on streets or the bike painting lanes, we must remember to be on guard for bad people.

Mel Rose from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:02 PM

Over the past two years, I have talked and written both the village trustees and police several times about adding surveillance cameras in the village but there has been no action on this...it not only helps to catch these thugs but also is a crime deterrent. I think more OP residents should contact our officials to demand surveillance cameras all around OP to help keep us safe!

Wondering

Posted: June 8th, 2011 4:01 PM

Are you new to OP Lydia? This is not a new thing. Our police do a great job given that we're bordering the west side. I'm guessing you don't live east of Ridgeland because otherwise you'd be familiar with this kind of activity. If you do live east of Ridgeland, sit out on your porch and watch and listen. Unfortunately that's the reality.

Integration Researcher from River Forest

Posted: June 8th, 2011 3:55 PM

Sadly this "crime wave" isn't unique to Oak Park. This sort of abhorrent behavior is occurring all over the country. But in a racially-diverse community like Oak Park, it is extremely crucial to nip it in the bud because crime like this can threaten the delicate -- and rare -- racial diversity the village has achieved against all odds.

Bob from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 3:54 PM

Notice that the OP police do not expect to catch the guy. They will disseminate the info to other jurisdictions and hope they catch the people. OP cops never solve anything. They just file reports!

OP MOM from OP

Posted: June 8th, 2011 3:53 PM

Um, 15 walking home from Ridgeland alone at 9:30pm? Nope. Mom/Dad/Responsible Adult should be picking her up. Where are the parents?

Lydia from Oak Park

Posted: June 8th, 2011 3:47 PM

What is going on in Oak Park? Everytime I turn around there's someone trying to attack someone or abducted them. Maybe we should forget about fixing are sidewalks and roads and put that money into hiring more police? It's getting scary.

Find a garage sale near you!