River Forest police ask residents to keep doors locked

Request prompted by an increase in car and garage burglaries

By Megan Dooley

The River Forest Police Department is asking residents to remember to keep their doors and windows locked, as a months-long string of car and garage burglaries continues into the summer.

"The vast majority of these [burglaries] van be attributed to owners leaving their vehicles or garage doors unlocked," read a news release sent out by the department.

The release said that the burglaries are typically crimes of opportunity, and in the rare cases that offenders do break windows, there are usually valuables such as GPS units and computers left visible from outside.

The police said that most of these crimes are occurring overnight, but there has been an increase in evening burglaries as well.

"We need the help of the residents to report a crime immediately and also be diligent in locking their vehicles and securing their valuables," the release read.

Nick from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: July 6th, 2011 4:25 PM

Yup. It actually happened on my block growing up here in OP. An old war vet wasted an intruder in the middle of the day with a handgun (gasp) no less. No charges were ever filed and I believe that old war vet still lives there.

Violet Aura

Posted: July 5th, 2011 7:30 PM

Gee, Jon...I didn't know that was in your pocket. I thought you were just happy to see me...

Jon from River Forest

Posted: July 4th, 2011 9:30 PM

Keep your door locked and your gun loaded!

FRANK

Posted: July 3rd, 2011 12:41 PM

I agree with Robert about his agreeing with Gary, who I also agree with. I just think that Robert, who agrees with Gary, is right and I agree. Gary was dead-on with his comments, which is why Robert was correct when he agreed with him, and this is why I agree with Robert.

Robert from Oak Park, IL

Posted: July 3rd, 2011 10:23 AM

I agree with Gary that if anyone intrudes on your property they need to be dealt with accordingly. But as for cars and garages, just use common sense. Just know that as an added security measure, lock your property up. Even if there isn't really crime in your neighborhood. You know never who will pass through and when.

Resident

Posted: July 1st, 2011 8:51 AM

You tell'em Jack. What about O'Brien?

Jack Hughes from Chicago

Posted: June 30th, 2011 11:58 PM

RF has been in a downward spiral since the days sharpshooters Bernie Gerard, Joe Welch, Frank Sasgen, Red Bramhall and Ray Bauer patrolled the streets of RF - Auxilary security from the likes of AJA and PW kept RF safe!

John McCarthy from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: June 30th, 2011 12:23 AM

Ask any cop what the single most important thing you can do to prevent a crime, and the unanimous answer will be "lock your doors". I'm sooo guilty of leaving everything open, leaving my truck running when I run into a gas station for a bag of ice and more beer, etc. Keep your eyes open and don't forget: the bastards who commit crimes of opportunity ain't in business till you let down your guard. HAPPY JULY 4th HOLIDAY!!!

michael a. from oak park

Posted: June 29th, 2011 8:49 PM

@gary i remember a case like this when i lived in michigan--a homeowner actually shot, and i think killed, a teenage intruder. it turned out the kid was drunk or something, but absolutely no charges were filed against the homeowner (and no legal fees, T.J.).

T.J. from Oak Park

Posted: June 29th, 2011 7:35 PM

@Gary If you introduce a projectile, be prepared to spend your life savings on legal fees. The legal system in this country will gobble up everything you own. Then you'll be the one needing to comit crime to sustain yourself.

Debbie from Oak Park

Posted: June 29th, 2011 5:30 PM

Oh, Gary.

Gary from West of Oak Park

Posted: June 29th, 2011 4:51 PM

I believe that we have a constitutional right to protect our person,homes and property. If we are in fear of someone trying to gain access, without permission, to our home then is it fair to say that we have permission to introduce a projectile toward the direction of the person(s)attempting to enter our home? The projectile I assure you would not be a pillow or a shoe. Don't tread on me and I won't strike

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad