Sportsmanship at its best

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

In 1983 when OPRF High School senior and track sensation John Register broke the school record in the long jump, he received a congratulatory letter from Ken Hand, the former record holder, commending him and stating that, "Records are made to be broken." The Saturday before last in San Antonio, Texas, at the Paralympic Track and Field Trials, John's 13-year American Record Long Jump for Paralympian classification 142 was broken by Rudy Garcia Tolson, whose 5.55m jump broke John's record by .14 cm.

Ken Handy's words of congratulations were spoken once again, this time by John. Rudy asked John what it meant for his 13-year-old mark to be eclipsed. John replied, "The record is in good hands" and "Records are set so that they might be broken."

John was there to witness the record-setting performance, and he and Rudy were photographed together. John had an inspirational Thursday Thought on on Thursday, June 14. It consisted of an interview with the new American record holder.

It's good to know there is still a high level of etiquette and sportsmanship among many athletes who have competed and are competing at the national and international levels. Keep it going, guys and girls!

Don Register

Oak Park resident, proud father

Reader Comments

2 Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Robin Donohoe from Springfield, VA  

Posted: June 26th, 2013 7:19 PM

Knowing John - you have EVERY right to be proud - I'm sure he takes after his parents!

John from Colorado Springs  

Posted: June 26th, 2013 6:39 PM

Great to know I have a proud father (smile). You can find a link to the interview at Great guys.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2017

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.

MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad