Two armed robberies occur in Oak Park over the weekend

Updated:

By Jean Lotus

Forest Park Review Editor

Two armed robberies took place Sunday night around 11:30 p.m. in Oak Park, police reported Monday.

The first incident took place at the 7-Eleven in the 200 block of Chicago Avenue. According to police, a man wearing all black with a red bandana covering his face entered the convenience store and pointed a blue steel, automatic handgun at the clerk and stated, "Don't move."

The offender then walked around the counter and demanded, "Open the register and give me everything."

The clerk was ordered to lie down on the floor as the offender removed a handful of cash before the offender and a male accomplice fled the scene.

Around the same time, a Chicago man told police he was riding the CTA Blue Line eastbound near the Austin stop on Sunday around 11:30 p.m. when a man sat down opposite him and displayed a black semi-automatic handgun he had concealed in a black T-shirt.

The man reportedly told the victim, "Give me everything you got."

The offender reportedly told the victim to place his wallet and cellphone into a bag that contained the victim's Toshiba laptop computer, headphones a hard drive and a black case.

The victim complied and the armed man exited the train at the Austin stop with the bag full of electronics and the wallet. The estimated loss was $1,225.

Henry from Oak Park

Posted: June 27th, 2013 8:31 PM

@Amanda, I don't know what you are talking about. I only made 1 comment and that was at the very beginning of the posts. If someone else posted something offensive and used my name, then take it up with him. I only posted the 1 comment which is still posted. Ask the WJ for proof.

FYI

Posted: June 27th, 2013 3:11 PM

@ Crack Up: Things also change when you bother to read what was actually written. The "Oak Park woaman" you refer to doesn't live in Oak Park. She had a business here.

Posted: June 27th, 2013 11:18 AM

YALL CRACK, Another example was when that thug Alton Hayes beat up some guy cause he was white, and was charged with a hate crime. There was plenty of discourse about his racist thuggery, and he lived in north west Oak Park, other "one of our own". I could continue...

Posted: June 27th, 2013 11:15 AM

YALL CRACK, there was plenty of discourse regarding that thug that stomped on someone's head last 4th of July, and then got shot... He lived on the Oak Park side of Austin Blvd where he got shot, so he was "one of our own". There are plenty more examples of us talking about "our own", but I'm guessing you didn't bring those up cause it doesn't support your agenda.

Posted: June 27th, 2013 11:12 AM

was an isolated incident.

Posted: June 27th, 2013 11:10 AM

YALL CRACK, where's the article about the mother killing her kid? Is this the old article? Did the WJ disable the comments? Oak Parkers have no problem critiquing other Oak Parkers that commit crimes, that much is obvious if you bother to read these sections on a regular basis. It just happens that the vast majority of crimes in Oak Park are committed by people from outside. The other difference is, these robberies suggest trends, while as horrible as the mother killing her baby was cont...

YALL_CRACK_ME_UP

Posted: June 27th, 2013 10:50 AM

I see all the comments on this report,but the article about the Oak Park woaman killing her kid there wasn't any comments at all Wooow, things change when it's one of your own huh? @ violet did you even ask the race then? nope I guess not.

Amanda

Posted: June 26th, 2013 6:28 PM

Andy Rooney- I appreciate you asking for clarification. Yes, his first comment is still present. I disagree with what he says but would not tell him that his comments were racist or unwelcome. The posting I referenced was in fact a direct repetition of the post you are referring to, but this time with the inclusion of an incredibly racist word to reference black people, which was used multiple times. That post has since been taken down.

Oversized T

Posted: June 26th, 2013 1:46 PM

Please keep me out of your argument. I provide a valuable service covering up the derrieres of young folks who chose to wear pants below the belt line. And I provide superior warmth on those hot summer days when you need all the cotton you can get to keep you lethargic and sweaty. And you can shoot me out of a cannon at a sporting event and no one will catch me and say, "meh, too small."

T Neeley

Posted: June 26th, 2013 1:13 PM

I miss the 70s-80s, too. Are we to believe that the death of Lake Street, especially the two department stores was caused by oversized t-shirts? Not Internet sales, etc? Are we to believe there was zero riff raff back in the good ol' days? We get it, you find many in society to be parasites and barely human (see: infestation) More cops? Ok. How to pay for them? Cuts? Ok, cut what? Higher taxes? On what? Lets solve this, we seem to have identified the problem. Hint: It's neither The Brad nor me.

The Brad from Oak Park

Posted: June 26th, 2013 11:54 AM

T Neeley compares OHare noise or Wrigley congestion to panhandlers and riff-raff infesting Lake Street's commercial corridor as something we have no choice but to live with and suggests that I need to move if I am offended by being assaulted after buying an "$8 hamburger". That is comical. Funny, I love looking at the historic photos of 1970s and 1980s Lake Street. There's an element missing in those pics of Fields, Wieboldts, etc. No oversized t-shirts.

andyrooney@hotmail.com

Posted: June 26th, 2013 11:15 AM

Not to be further misinformed, Amanda, but I still see Henry's comment near the bottom of the thread and if this is the comment you are referring to I ask you to point out the inherent racism.

Amanda

Posted: June 26th, 2013 10:22 AM

Liberals...Henry's comments were unquestionably racist and were taken down shortly after my post went live. I have previously enjoyed reading everyone's comments and thoughts here and believe that healthy debate and discussion leads to a better Oak Park. It disenchants me a bit that after one of my very first posts, I am reduced to a stereotype by you that is clearly misinformed.

T Neeley

Posted: June 26th, 2013 10:00 AM

"Typical lib clown" is what passes for argument, huh? I do think you should know that yeah, there's a ghetto nearby and live accordingly. Don't live in Des Plaines and complain about airplanes or Lakeview & complain about baseball games. Can we mitigate the "Austin problem?" Probably, but eye rolling, name calling and empty macho demands to rid the scum and riff raff won't solve it. The Brad should be in a gated community to give him the security he seems to need. I doubt he'll find it in OP.

Posted: June 26th, 2013 10:00 AM

Liberals, I do believe myself to be a "liberal", but I find that many "liberals" today abuse the label to fit their own agendas or their white guilt. I agree with the sentiment of your comments... I just think that so called "liberals" need not ignore common sense just so they can feel they're promoting racial harmony. Promoting racial harmony does not mean giving someone more allowance than anyone else based on their skin color.

The Brad from Oak Park

Posted: June 26th, 2013 8:48 AM

T Neeley would have you believe that you should have known that the blacks were riding their bikes in oversized t-shirts many years ago and will be for years to come, so you should have moved to Naperville instead. Unless you bought your house here with "family money" and didn't do your homework. Also, be careful, or he will challenge you to a public fight "to see you say your big words in person." *eyeroll* typical lib clown.

Liberals...

Posted: June 26th, 2013 7:51 AM

OP Rez...wonderful analysis and it is sad indeed that when we make logical, poignant comments that we have to hide behind screen names because of the hatred from the left. Nikolai, thank you for proving my point.

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:23 PM

Profiling has been given a bad name because it's been associated with discrimination, and in certain cases that's a legitimate argument, but how would the police even begin to do their jobs if they didn't profile? How would they use their instincts to stop crime before it happens? You get a sense of something because you've seen a pattern on how certain things happen in places. That's profiling. If you ignore your instincts, you ignore the very thing that may save you.

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:15 PM

Cont... Or do you walk towards them believing that regardless of trends, you are not willing to let that information determine how you "profile" someone? What if one of these teens looked at you in a taunting way? Would you chalk it up to teens being teens, or a possible sign that they mean you harm? My point is that you need to "profile" to stay safe. That does not mean making every poor black person into a potential criminal, but it does mean reading people and reading their intensions. Cont..

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:11 PM

Cont... Now imagine this; You're walking down an Oak Park street at 10 at night. A group of 4 or 5 black teens are riding towards you in oversized white T-shirts (a fashion that is trend on the west side). You know that there have been a trend where groups of teens from Austin come over on bikes to rob and assault. Do you take this information and "profile" the teens riding towards you as possible threats, and cross the street? Cont...

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:04 PM

In a perfect world we would need not "profile" to see who could do us or our family harm, but in the real Oak Park world, the majority of criminals who assault and rob people here fit closer to certain "profiles" that just being random. The goes beyond "racial profiling" because people can generally get a sense by the body language of someone and general way they interact socially, if that person maybe ben more of a risk. Cont...

Nikolai

Posted: June 25th, 2013 7:16 PM

WOW... I lose so much faith in humanity when i read comments like henry's, sharon's, or "liberals...". it is depressing that you people don't understand how inherently racist your statements were. just because you're offended doesn't make you right, but in this case racial profiling and pure bigotry certainly make you wrong. and man up some of you; you don't like people begging? grow a pair and tell them to get lost when they ask. take responsibility. put yourself in control of your own life.

Liberals...

Posted: June 25th, 2013 5:48 PM

Amanda, how exactly is Henry's comment racist? Let me guess, you are one of those who would rather have a guy like Henry walk down the side of the street with 3 armed African American dudes at the risk of getting shot than move to the other side to go home safely. Typical Oak Park.

blah

Posted: June 25th, 2013 3:43 PM

"A blue steel, automatic handgun"?? Wow, that's got to be a collector's item!

muntz

Posted: June 25th, 2013 2:53 PM

Panhandling, in general, benefits no one. It is not fair to the business owners who will customers spend their money elsewhere. It is not fair to customers who often feel threatenend (even if unintentional). And it does not resolve the deeper issues the panhandlers have themselves. And "helping" these folks often makes you more vulnerable in the process (attention diverted, reaching into pockets/purses). SImply put, there is no value, has a negative impact on the community, and should be removed

Matt

Posted: June 25th, 2013 2:09 PM

To clarify from my earlier comment - I wasn't bothered by being asked for money. It is when I started getting verbally and obscenely yelled at that I became concerned, and this was stated to the officer. Calling 911, BTW, just gets you transferred to the local police.

T Neeley

Posted: June 25th, 2013 1:26 PM

My $14k property tax bill says I have a stake, and I knew before I moved that OP was adjacent to Austin. Did you? Or was it all a surprise? If so, you could only buy here w family money, as you'd never get a good job w such naivete. How do you suggest clearing the scum and riff raff in a fair and cheap way? Was your name on the last ballot? I'd love to hear you talk so brazenly in public. Does your stake go beyond the pages of WJ? Jimmy Olsen? Huh?

Violet Aura

Posted: June 25th, 2013 1:17 PM

Gigi: You sound like you just took a correspondence course for learning Big Words like umbrage. Just a tip for ya: don't use them all at once or you will sound like you don't even know what they mean. You didn't really read my post, now did you dear? Is a beggar a PERP? I didn't think so either...So why do we need a description of him?

muntz

Posted: June 25th, 2013 12:26 PM

That 7-11 on Chicago is an open ATM for thieves. I'm sure the neighborhood appreciates the "convenience" it brings.

The Brad from Oak Park

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:59 AM

TNeely (or is it Jimmy Olsen?), I'm not allowed to buy an $8 hamburger in downtown Oak Park, supporting the Village in the process, and not be assaulted in the parking lot afterwards? I need to move 20 miles west of here to do so? What a terribly close-minded and defeatist argument that is. Makes me wonder who has more of an interest in the spirit and future of Oak Park, tax-paying residents like me or your "ilk". You don't have a personal interest and stake in the future of the Village?

Amanda

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:48 AM

Henry- Your newest post is not only similar but a dead on match for an earlier post you made on this thread. You are giving the same opinion (using the same words in fact) while also adding derogatory and racist comments. Those are not welcome here.

T Neeley

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:38 AM

The Brad and his ilk will have to move to Naperville to enjoy his $8 cheeseburger. "There will be poor always, pathetically struggling. Look at the good things you've got." The poor people from Austin were hanging out here before you arrived. They'll be here when the two year old heads to college. Shame on you for not doing your due diligence and moving somewhere you'd be happier. If that place exists.

Django from oakpark

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:36 AM

Slavery is legal to in the constitution

Gigi

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:18 AM

I think you are being unintentionally humorous, Violet. I cannot think of a time that you have not demanded detailed descriptors of perps (including skin color) in response to any WJ posting. If this detail was relevant to Sharon's story, it was an immutable detail that she saw fit to include. No need to take umbrage at it.

Violet Aura

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:12 AM

"Black man asks loudly for change Downtown." That was an Onion article when Obama campaigned the first time;) They had a quote by someone: "He seemed so ANGRY." Sharon, why the need to mention the race of the pandhandler? I am in favor of descriptors for crimes in which the perp has not yet been apprehended but you seem uncomfortable with BP in general...

John Butch Murtagh from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: June 25th, 2013 11:10 AM

Re Alan post - he is correct. 17-1-26: BEGGING It shall be unlawful to beg. (1981 Code) http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php? It is the village's responsibility to enforce the law or change it.

Posted: June 25th, 2013 10:17 AM

On another note, those people that try to clean your car windows at the corner of streets are not allowed to do that. Call the cops if you see anyone doing that. We also have noise ordinances, so if you hear someone cruising down the street blasting music, call the cops... The police encourage this because there are plenty of times where they'll pull someone over for something like that and find drugs, guns or get some guy with outstanding warrants for his arrest. Just get use to descriptions.

alt-progress from Oak Park

Posted: June 25th, 2013 10:15 AM

You can intuit a lot about a person without an explicit description of skin color. For example ?" Henry from Oak Park and Jim King ?" white guys. Definitly.

Posted: June 25th, 2013 10:12 AM

Matt, next time call 911. Just because you are safe in your car doesn't mean thugs like that are any less of a danger to other people. Brad, the police need very specific descriptions (unlike the ones the journal provides) of the person, car, place, direction etc... otherwise they can't do their job. Make a mental note of all that stuff before you dial 911, so to speed up the process. If the thug walks away, at least cops in other areas will has a description.

@alan

Posted: June 25th, 2013 9:37 AM

Bridgett, I did not make the rules, I am just pointing out he village code on begging and how you find the village codes.

The Brad from OP

Posted: June 25th, 2013 9:29 AM

OP needs to absolutely clear the riff-raff out of the downtown area as a start (Lake Street & Marion should be off limits). Clear the scum out so we can start spending our money down there without having to deal with this nonsense.

The Brad from Oak Park

Posted: June 25th, 2013 9:28 AM

Matt- Same experience countless times on my end. We were hassled in the parking lot one night after coming from Five Guys, on our way back to the car with two yr-old son. Called 911. 20 questions later, the bum was long gone, and any officers to even try to attempt to catch him would have been wasting their time. What race, how tall, what is he wearing, how old, sex, weight, hat, which direction, can you explain what happened (at the end!), do you want to leave your name, etc.

Matt

Posted: June 25th, 2013 8:27 AM

On Sunday afternoon, I was filling up my car at the BP at Austin and Harrison. A guy was standing in front of the store asking people for money. He yelled at me, but I ignored him. He started screaming and swearing and threatening me. I called the OP police (not 911, because I was safely in my car). After over 20 rings, someone finally answered. When I finally spoke to an officer, I had to answer a lot of questions. I was like, geez, can't you send someone over? What a hassle.

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: June 25th, 2013 8:11 AM

@Alan, The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, freedom of speech.

@alan

Posted: June 25th, 2013 6:06 AM

17-1-26: BEGGING It shall be unlawful to beg. (1981 Code) http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=459 call the police and site the code violation.

Alan from Oak Park

Posted: June 24th, 2013 11:45 PM

@ Bridgett from Oak Park. Ok Bridgett I guess my question than is. What makes it legal. Is it because the Supreme Court says that it is or is it that the laws of Illinois says it is or is it because there just aren't any laws controlling it in the first place? (Non aggressive panhandling that is)

Jim Coughlin from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: June 24th, 2013 11:37 PM

I thought about what you posted, Henry. It's not "okay to get away" with crimes but why be so focused on just the race of the perpetrator? We know that males are about 9 times more likely than females to engage in criminal activities, especially those which are violent in nature. The failures of our criminal justice system, poverty, substance abuse, a lack of structure in the home and how the police are viewed within a community are considered to be contributing factors. We cannot ignore crime nor be naive in thinking that it cannot happen to me. This is a very complicated and complex issue and needs a balanced approach that addresses the roots of anti-social behavior.

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: June 24th, 2013 11:05 PM

Panhandling is legal. Aggressive panhandling is not. The reason why Oak Park has panhandlers is because residents give them money. A couple of years ago, the "Palm Card" was created and encouraged to be handed out instead of cash. The card has info to resources for those folks who truly are in need. Here's a link to a story... http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/11-28-2011/Taking-a-closer-look-at-panhandling-in-Oak-Park/

Alan from Oak Park

Posted: June 24th, 2013 10:42 PM

Concerning the subject of pan handling I just have a question. Is pan handling prevalent here because the Constitution enables it or is it just a matter of non enforcement or even no regulation/ordinances/laws on the books. I am really curious about this and wonder if any reader knows the facts on this.

Posted: June 24th, 2013 10:16 PM

On another note, the CTA should be held accountable for allowing these crimes to continue. They should have armed guards on every line that's notable for having high occurrences of violent crime... The should obviously include the green and blue lines that run through the west side. Also, the village should start installing security camera's, as the slim gets away way too easily without worry. The village is too cheap to pay of the cameras, and too focused on pie in the sky developments.

Posted: June 24th, 2013 10:12 PM

The trend for armed robberies seem to be, 7-11's, CTA and walking late at night... especially on the east side of Oak Park. Basically, if you stay away from either on of these at night, you'll greatly minimize the chances of falling victim. Of course, the no 100% guarantee, but just don't give the thugs the opportunity.

The dude

Posted: June 24th, 2013 9:17 PM

Henry and Sharon, The pan handlers exist here in large numbers because there are plenty of people here willing to give them money, and then of course the churches that give food etc... The police can't be everywhere all the time. If you feel like the pan handler is being aggressive, call the police. It's 1 thing when some disabled guy politely asks for some change, it's another when the some guy aggressively tries to guilt you into it. If enough people dial 911, things will change.

Henry from Oak Park

Posted: June 24th, 2013 6:37 PM

They will never tell the race of the perpetrator's even though we all know who did it. I guess it's okay for blacks to get away with armed robberies, theft, vandalism, etc. just as long as we don't offend them in the process. When are the Oak Park Police going to do something about all the panhandling that Sharon mentioned? Can't even eat in peace without them always looking for something free (or to take.)

Jim King

Posted: June 24th, 2013 5:55 PM

One man wore black and red and had a blue weapon. One man rode a blue train and had a black t-shirt and weapon. Are there any other colors that would make this story more informative?

Sharon Bergmann from Oak Park

Posted: June 24th, 2013 5:11 PM

While dining outside @Prarie Bread Kitchen,I was approached by a blk man asking for change. Then later in the day another person walked up by my car to ask for $. Very uncomfortable. Keep an eye on this area or no one will be eating outside.