Car burglar arrested in River Forest

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

Thanks to a collaborative effort between law enforcement personnel in nearby jurisdictions and members of the public, River Forest police have arrested a woman believed to be responsible for a string of car burglaries in the area.

Leticia A. Shea, 28, of the 3000 block of W. George in Chicago, was arrested on June 1 and charged with two counts of burglary. Both incidents occurred on May 11, one in the 800 block of Keystone and the other in the 700 block of Franklin. According to River Forest Police Sergeant Michael Thornley, the suspect is thought to be connected to similar burglaries dating back several months in the village.

"Unfortunately, we're [only] charging her for what we know we can conclusively link her to beyond a reasonable doubt," Thornley said.

Items reported missing in the Keystone burglary included a purse, wallet, credit cards, and an Apple iPod. Some $15 in coins was reportedly stolen at the Franklin location.

Thornley said coins were stolen in most of the reported burglaries that police have linked to Shea. "That was actually the norm that we saw across the board," he said.

Thornley said witness information led the police to Shea, who was tracked down in Elmwood Park and pulled over in a traffic stop on May 22. She was subsequently arrested by Elmwood Park police on charges that included a burglary offense, and during that arrest was found in possession of items reported missing in the May 11 burglary on Keystone.

At the time of Shea's arrest by River Forest police, she was already being held at Cook County Jail on unrelated charges.

Violet Aura

Posted: June 4th, 2011 2:31 PM

@Brian: North Park is just up the road a few miles. That is a nice area, as is Sauganash and Edgebrook. There is always the line about "well, it's close to the Green Line so..." but I don't buy it. Some of the people are coming from the far western 'burbs so no El. And how many times have people been caught shooting up in the Charf*ck's on Harlem and North Blvd.? Hmmm? They are scoring nearby! It would appear to be a no-brainer!

Brian Slowiak from Oak Park

Posted: June 3rd, 2011 12:38 PM

There are two basic reasons why someone would travel here from Chicago to commit a crime. First, you dont steal from people in our own neighborhood because everyone knows you and you cant hide the items that you have stolen, Second, the pickings are easier and more lucrative in River Forest rather than on the 3000 block of west George street.

Violet Aura

Posted: June 3rd, 2011 11:22 AM

And one last thing, Donna: I am not here to convince you of anything. I don't think I call people names although I confess to being a bit snarky on many occasions. It is what it is. I don't live in Lala Land. I don't see honest explorations of what is really happening in our area is "nasty" but I realize that it makes many people uncomfortable because they want life to appear other than it sometimes is. You do realize, don't you, that positioning yourself as above all the vitriol is judgemental?

Violet Aura

Posted: June 3rd, 2011 11:18 AM

@Donna: Well, couldn't you have just addressed that comment to me personally? I think as women we tend to be very passive-aggressive and my goodness, we are adults! As for divisiveness, I was speculating upon why someone would travel all that way to steal from Oak Park and River Forest. I didn't rant, I didn't rave, and I sure didn't accuse this poor young woman of a thing. It seems that the ones being arrested for heroin are usually from far away and they must be buying it HERE!

OP Resident

Posted: June 2nd, 2011 6:20 PM

Thanks for the wonderful comment, Donna. I too feel there is no excuse for boorish comments. Let's discuss the issues and offer our opinions without resorting to name calling. Let the discussion be conducted in a respectful manner. Violet Aura is probably right about these crimes being tied to an addiction. It should be noted that state funding for treatment programs has been slashed. There are fewer options for women and their recovery rate is less than 5%. A vicious circle and human tragedy.

Donna from River Forest

Posted: June 2nd, 2011 5:00 PM

I am a relatively new reader of the comments that are posted by readers of various articles in the online Journal. I really enjoy reading the many thoughtful, diverse and reasonable opinions. However,I am often disappointed by the negative, in fact down right nasty, tone of way too many of the comments. I find anger, sarcasm, out- to-lunch "facts" and personal attacks a real turnoff. Don't these writers want to persuade others to consider their point of view? Ranting and raving won't do it!

Violet Aura

Posted: June 2nd, 2011 1:54 PM

Wow, once again we have someone travelling so far to commit a crime in OPRF? I wonder why that is...Could it be stealing and then scoring the heroin?

Find a garage sale near you!