River Forest police arrest Dominican student for felony sexual assault

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

River Forest police have arrested a Dominican University student for the sexual assault of a female student, after he surrendered himself to police on May 5.

Xavier Patterson, 24, of the 4300 block of W. Augusta in Chicago, was arrested and charged with felony criminal sexual assault for an incident that took place on May 4 at approximately 1:50 a.m. The victim claimed to have been studying in her door room at Dominican just before the assault occurred. After the incident, the victim called a family member and told the relative about the assault.

University security personnel were notified later that morning, and they contacted the River Forest police. The police interviewed the victim and her relative while officers collected evidence from the scene.

Patterson and the victim were acquainted through a mutual friend, police said, and Patterson was a student living on campus at the time of the assault. His bond was set at $10,000, and a preliminary hearing is set for May 12. River Forest Police Sergeant Michael Thornley said that the investigation is still pending, as the police wait for evidence to be analyzed. He said that additional charges may be filed at a later date.

According to Thornley, the suspect had no prior criminal history that the police know of, but he said they're hesitant to say any more about the case.

"We're trying to be careful about what we disclose at this point because we don't want to identify the victim," Thornley said.

River Forest Police Chief Gregory Weiss said that these kinds of cases can often be difficult to prosecute because it's usually the victim's word against the offender.

"We as police officers have a duty to make sure we conduct an impartial investigation," said Weiss.

joel from oak park

Posted: June 2nd, 2011 12:37 AM

Shame on oakpark.com for making this guys name, photo, and address public. This is no more than an accusation. Wait till the courts make a ruling before releasing that kind of info.

Me from Oak Park

Posted: May 21st, 2011 2:45 AM

This guy looks way older than 24, I think someone who is 24 and lives on campus is pathetic, sorry that's mean but true, unless you're a foreign student. Maybe the girl started to get physical with this ugly loser than changed her mind and he kept going.

Hannah from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: May 12th, 2011 9:56 PM

haha right right. i rest my case.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 12th, 2011 10:39 AM

@IDIOT AND HANNAH: So you have no issues with the word 'redneck?' Thank you. I never called names; I looked at the MUG SHOT and said that it didn't look like a guy who would attend Dominican. But you think it's fine to use racial/ethnic slurs with a selected group. Wow. I have the right to say that I thought he didn't look like a student at Dominican without being accused of racism. You both are just knee-JERK peeps. There isn't much logic behind your so-called beliefs; just emotion. God bless!

ih8idiots

Posted: May 12th, 2011 12:48 AM

I would further like to commend Violent Aura on "schooling" the community on how to construct a strawman. Seriously, chica, projecting your own racism onto everyone else, and then calling us hypocrites is pretty wacked, even for you. Get help.

OP

Posted: May 11th, 2011 10:35 PM

AGREED HAnnah

Hannah from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: May 11th, 2011 10:29 PM

hmmm sorry honey, good try but no. I don't care what someone looks like enough to make assumptions ESPECIALLY publicly about anyone's looks and how that reflects what they are and aren't. Even if they are a "white dewd with long stringy hair," it means nothing. Looks are looks. Ya we may judge them internally, but that doesn't make it right or justifiable. What you said was very wrong, and I hope you develop the mental capability to realize that at some point.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 11th, 2011 3:50 PM

@iamafriggingidiotandhypocrite: If this was a pic of some White dewd with long stringy hair a la Greg Allman circa 1973, front teeth missing, and trucker's cap on, y'all would be having a field day dissing him, as well as speculating on what he's all about. You are a blooming hypocrite--congrats. You use 'redneck' as if it's no biggie. Whatever. Namaste.

ih8idiots

Posted: May 11th, 2011 3:11 PM

I'd like to commend Violent Aura on "schooling" the community that you don't have to be a white anglo to be a racist redneck.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 11th, 2011 2:22 PM

@Hannah: I didn't ASSume where this gentleman hails from; it's IN THE ARTICLE. 4300 W. Augusta--that is a rough area. All the cewl tragically hip areas are further east, FYI. So keep on flapping them gums and school ME on bigotry. You are falling all over yourself to show me (a Hispanic woman) up and negate what I am observing here. If this young man IS found guilty, I hope he isn't further criminalized by simply being caged like an animal. I hope he gets the help he needs...

OP

Posted: May 11th, 2011 1:00 PM

Violeeta is a bigot

Hannah from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: May 11th, 2011 1:00 PM

I completely agree with PHA. The fact that Violet is at Dominican almost everyday makes her comments even worse. Who the hell cares about where dominican recruits from? AND sweetie it's sad that you once again assume he's from the hood because he's black..this issue with Xavier has nothing to do with "rap sheets" or the "hood" or where Dominican accepts students from. For all you know he's from Beverly Hills! You sit on a throne of assumptions, doing nothing but embarrassing yourself. Grow up.

PHA

Posted: May 11th, 2011 11:42 AM

So I ATTEND Dominican University and I know Xavier. This is out of character for him, but what he is accused of gives no right for anyone to judge him based off his looks. He's black. Does that mean he's a "gangster?" I'm black. Does that mean I'm a "hoe"? You don't even KNOW HIM!! Violet!!! Are you white? Does that mean that I can assume that you're a bimbo? Not saying what he did or didn't do was right, but I am saying that it is WRONG to judge someone you don't know.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 11th, 2011 10:56 AM

And just to clarify, lest "Hannah" and her White liberal guilt pounce on it, I am NOT implying that this fellow has a rap sheet. I am saying that I am sure the victim's parents want to know about who is allowed to live on campus.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 11th, 2011 10:54 AM

@Hannah: LOL! I am at Dominican just about every day, my dear! And I am quite aware that there must be recruiting going on because in the past few years, it was foreign exchange students and now Domincan seems to be recruiting from the 'hood. Which is fine, as long as the kiddies are checked out first. You know, in case they already have a rap sheet as long as their arm? Social justice is swell, but safety needs to be attended to, as well.

Hannah from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: May 11th, 2011 10:49 AM

violet aura is a condescending, naive IDIOT. she's obviously never set foot at Dominican, as there are MANY students that look exactly "like him." There is nothing about this picture that makes him look like a "hardcore thug" or even an athlete..and how does he not look "scholarly"?? how does someone even look scholarly?? This poor woman needs to buy a clue and rethink what she puts up before she posts her racist and ignorant comments

OP

Posted: May 11th, 2011 9:36 AM

V A , I think its quite possible that YOU have split personalities. Will the real VA please stand.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 11th, 2011 9:32 AM

@IAMANIDIOT: Sorry that you don't know the difference between not smiling and a mean glare. As for CHI GUY? I am so tired of that refrain that "it's not like him," etc. They demonized the accuser of Mike Tyson because she went into his room late at night, maybe started having sex with him and changed her mind. Women get raped under nebulous circumstances all the time. Serial killers and other violent offenders often have split personalities so how a person "seems" doesn't mean too much.

CHI GUY33

Posted: May 10th, 2011 11:47 PM

I'm friends with him and I was shocked when I heard the news. There has to be more to what this article is telling. This is totally uncharacteristic of him. I'm pretty sure it was a consensual thing.

ih8idiots

Posted: May 10th, 2011 8:12 PM

People, don't bother with Violent Aura. She's a well known racist who trolls these board just making asinine comments. (PS. Only idiots smile in their mug shot.)

OP

Posted: May 10th, 2011 7:41 PM

The face? He has eyes, nose and a mouth. Hmmm Looks pretty standard to me. Look closer and I think you'll see your flaws in your thinking. I would even bet that he has a clean record.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 10th, 2011 5:05 PM

@OP Resident: I don't judge people based on looks! This is an picture of an alledged rapist. So the speculation whether or not he's just a big teddy bear is a bit moot, no?

Violet Aura

Posted: May 10th, 2011 5:03 PM

@OP: The face. The look. The curled-up mouth. Let me put it this way, he doesn't LOOK like a pussycat. I am not a close-minded person in the least. But as human beings we have to be discerning, right? If someone approaches us, we have to decide at that split second whether or not to proceed or turn and run the other way. A racist woman sees all Black men as scary and violent. Not me. I look at ALL men with discernment when I am out and about. If someone has a mean look on their face, I notice!

OP

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:56 PM

Violet what exactly makes him look like what you "think" he is?

OP Resident

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:39 PM

A wise man once offer this advice. Don't judge people based upon their looks, gender or religious beliefs. Take a few minutes to get to know them and you'll find plenty to hate.

Patricia O'Shea

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:34 PM

You're digging yourself in further Violet. May want to quit while you're ahead.

Patricia O'Shea

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:33 PM

OP - miracles do happen. :)

Violet Aura

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:15 PM

@Patricia: No, no! It's interesting what people read into stuff. I didn't ask how Dominican would ever allow someone who looked like him to get into that school; I said that he doesn't look like someone who would go to Dominican. He looks very hardened, not scholarly. I would say the same thing if I saw a picture of a 98-lb. man who is the new quarterback for the Bears. We (as HONEST human beings) classify people based upon their looks. We may be wrong most of the time, but still we do it.

OP

Posted: May 10th, 2011 2:04 PM

For the second time, I agree with O'Shea!!!

Patricia O'Shea

Posted: May 10th, 2011 1:58 PM

Yeah, but you essentially said, how did this guy get into school considering his looks.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 10th, 2011 1:53 PM

Okay guys, let's calm down here. Patricia, I was not categorizing him as anything. I said "he looks like a hardcore thug." Now if you want to infer some hidden racism oozing from that sentence, be my guest. I actually do not treat people based upon how they appear to me. I would like to think I am not that shallow. And whether or not you will admit it, you notice how people look and make an INTITIAL determination on what they are about. It's hardwired into us to notice appearances-for safety.

OP Guy

Posted: May 10th, 2011 1:42 PM

Violet, change the story to a tragic story about how the person in the photo lost his family, or a success story and watch how your perception of this person's looks change. It's not the persons look that are the problem here.

Patricia O'Shea

Posted: May 10th, 2011 12:43 PM

Violet! Do you have no shame! OMG. How can you categorize someone by looks? That is so so wrong.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 10th, 2011 12:32 PM

Maybe it's just the pic, but he looks like a hardcore thug and he's a STUDENT AT DOMINICAN?! How did he manage that one? Athelete or honors student?

Find a garage sale near you!