DNA evidence leads to arrest of 2010 River Forest burglary suspect

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

DNA evidence recovered from a crime scene last year led to the arrest of a burglary suspect by the River Forest Police Department more than 10 months after the incident occurred.

Jose Bautista, 23, of the 1600 block of Euclid Avenue in Berwyn, was arrested May 3 and charged with burglary for forcing his way into the garage of a residence located in the 1500 block of Clinton Place on July 2, 2010, and removing a Trek bicycle.

Bautista was connected to the crime scene through his blood, which was left behind on a curtain near a broken garage window. The evidence was analyzed at the Illinois State Police Crime Lab and matched to the Bautista through a DNA index system called CODIS.

Following his arrest, Bautista confessed to the burglary, River Forest police said.

River Forest police Sgt. Michael Thornley said it can take several months to get evidence results back from the crime lab for non-violent crimes like the burglary, but it's not the first case of its kind in the village.

"We've cleared more than a few residential burglaries on DNA or latent fingerprint evidence," he said.

Bautista did not have any prior arrests in River Forest, but Thornley said that only people with criminal histories are entered into the CODIS system.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 9th, 2011 9:51 AM

@KYO: Perhaps I need to school you on something, since you mention "material items" not being of importance. Several years ago a woman in OP was brutally murdered in her condo on Washington Blvd. She had gone jogging and come back, interupting a burglary in progress. The guy decided to "finish her off" because (I assume) she had seen him and could identify him. Living in a town with many bike thefts shows that either the 'hood is full of theives or people who pass through may be thieves.

KYO

Posted: May 7th, 2011 7:40 PM

@epic lulz: Thank you. I'm still wondering why DNA was needed for a DUI though... I'm sure you can agree. @OP: Only hard core thugs steal bikes, of course. Also, if this happened in Berwyn, Cicero it wouldn't have been a big deal. But because it's in RF, it makes the newspapers. Now tell me what makes sense. Catch the dude in OP who keeps choking people! And not those who steal material items. Also, there were a couple unsolved murders in OP late last year too. Figure those out.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 7th, 2011 12:41 PM

@Epic Lulz: Am I included in that list as "useless troll?" How was your comment helpful? What did it even mean? I was responding to someone who thinks that those who steal bikes from people's yards are just zany folks that should be given a wink and a smile. Pot meet kettle, dude. Methinks thou art the biggest troll on here...

epic lulz

Posted: May 6th, 2011 5:45 PM

Bautista's previous arrest was for DUI, which is how his DNA got into the system. Now if we could just get the DNA of all you useless bickering trolls into the system.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 6th, 2011 2:39 PM

@OP: I don't know if everyone convicted gets DNA extracted but this idea of "major/minor" crimes is a bit odd to me. What happens if a bike thief is confronted by the home owner, who just went inside for a moment and returns to see someone about to take off on his $800 cycle? Do you assume that the thief doesn't have a gun or other weapon? That he won't punch the person? If a person is supporting a habit, for instance, they will probably do whatever it takes to get that fix.

OP

Posted: May 6th, 2011 10:42 AM

If Jose was in the system , I think the STORY is really about solving the other major crimes he has been involved with. I'd like to know what the other crimes of this guy are. Shouldn't that be out there if hes in the system and now caught ?

Violet Aura

Posted: May 6th, 2011 10:24 AM

@OP: The fact that you downplay this crime suggests to me that maybe YOU like to steal bikes and other stuff from garages ("weedwackers"). WTF, dude? An iPOD is one thing but a bike is no biggie? First of all, Jose the Bike Thief had his DNA in the system, which indicates that he already has a rap sheet. With people like you minimizing these things, it makes me wonder how OPRF can maintain any semblance of law and order. (By the way, kudos for your handle. VERY creative...)

OP

Posted: May 5th, 2011 8:49 PM

Was the Bike returned?

Jason P. from OP

Posted: May 5th, 2011 8:23 PM

The cost of DNA testing has become very inexpensive. Don't feel as if River Forest spent thoudands of dollars on a DNA test. Pluse goverment can now fine this guy and the victim can get restitution.

OP

Posted: May 5th, 2011 10:17 AM

I think my comment is more to the story. Police need every tool they can use and should use them. I guess I'm commenting on the fact that this was its own story. Maybe the FBI should get called in for missing weed whackers.

OP observer from Forest Park

Posted: May 5th, 2011 9:32 AM

And your point, OP? The cost of merely having an officer show up and take a police report and file it with the detectives is quite often more expensive than any items stolen. Would you have the police base their response to specific crimes on the cost of what was stolen? Your comment also suggests you think this mope they arrested stole only that one bike. You really believe that?

OP

Posted: May 5th, 2011 12:53 AM

I guess I'm really questioning the stand alone feel-good story it received. I'm all about solving crime especially the hard core thugs!!

OP Guy

Posted: May 5th, 2011 12:50 AM

Well, I wonder what's worth more, the DNA test, or the peace of mind/sense of security the victims lost? Catching burglars is not just about the loss of property. Let the little things slide and soon you'll see much bigger problems.

OP

Posted: May 4th, 2011 11:21 PM

The DNA testing cost more then the bike he stole. I hope this technology can find the serial criminals who do a heck of more damage to the local communities than stealing bikes from garages.

Jake from Oak Park

Posted: May 4th, 2011 2:45 PM

Now this is my idea of good police work. Congrats to all of the River Forest officers/detectives involved in this case. Your time and energy was well spent.