Oak Park shooting may have been work-related

Updated:

A man who was shot in the alley behind the 900 block of North Taylor Avenue last Thursday around 6 p.m. may have been related an altercation at the nursing home where he worked, according to initial police information.

Responding to a 911 call, police found James F. Wilson, 50, of the 900 block of N. Taylor Avenue, near his basement apartment, bleeding but conscious. He was transported to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood where he was listed in critical but stable condition Friday morning, according to a press release from the village of Oak Park.

Police have not established a motive for the shooting, but they say indications are that Wilson knew his assailant, the village release said.

Police went to interview a female co-worker at the Berkeley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center on the 6900 block of North Avenue, and they were seeking the brother of the co-worker as a possible suspect in the shooting.

Police also towed away a white car with temporary registration plates from in front of the home.

No arrests were reported by police by press time.

A Wednesday Journal reporter stopped by the residence Friday afternoon, but the homeowner, Margaret Fleming, did not want to speak about the incident. According to another media report, however, she told Wilson he had to be out of her building by June 8.

According to the article, Fleming reportedly heard two shots. Shortly after, Wilson knocked on the door to inform her he'd been shot. Fleming called police and a police unit searched the area and the house, but no suspect was found.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: June 6th, 2013 11:19 PM

The community will judge the actions of others. Behavior outside the norm can be judged harshly. These people who have been charged with this crime will be judged by their peers in a court of law after hearing the whole story. Thank God, the victim in this case did not die.

joe from south oak park

Posted: June 6th, 2013 11:06 PM

Gianna- I beg to differ. carrying a firearm does make you a criminal in Illinois unless you are a current or retired LEO or a politician. As a citizen that actually follows the law, I won't be able to carry a weapon legally for about 15 months provided that Gov. Quinn signs HB183 into law. But of course thug carry is 'legal' unless you get caught... and maybe that is to what you are referring. Which is exactly what I want to be able to defend myself against.

Gianna

Posted: June 5th, 2013 11:28 PM

@ john just because a gun is carried DOES NOT MAKE A person or CRIMINAL, Believe me there are CRIMINALS, GUNS VIOLENCE AND GANGS EVERYWHERE JUST BECAUSE IT IS OAK PARK DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE EXCLUDE IT JUST MEAN THAT IT IS HIDDEN MORE AND DOES NOT COME OUT IN THE OPEN. I PERSONALLY DO NOT FEEL THAT THEY THE GIRL OR THE BOY SHOULD GET THE MAX WOULD YOU WANT SOMEONE TO SAY THAT IF THAT WAS YOUR CHILD OFFER YOUR PRAYERS FOR BOTH SIDE THE CHILDREN AND THE VICTIM

Gianna from CHICAGO

Posted: June 4th, 2013 5:41 PM

Sometimes people should know the story. Believe me people just do not do things to get attention and it surely does not make them a sick crack head. There are issue that happens and one way or another sometimes people take the wrong route,but who are you to go around and judge anyone. Ask before judging the book by its cover

Comment for where

Posted: June 4th, 2013 11:11 AM

Where, Less guns means less gun violence? So if you think that problem would be solved so simply, please address how to decrease these HOMICIDAL deaths: strangulation, drowing, blunt force, stabbing, poisoning/drugging, beatings, and arson. People are killed in these ways regularly. You can take every gun in the world and people with the will to kill will adapt and continue to kill just as they killed before guns..poisoning water systems, setting fires. The people are the problem.

Loni

Posted: June 4th, 2013 11:04 AM

why don't you all get the facts before you decide to judge people, what if this man altercation at work to this person was really frightening and they feared they life. No one said a shooter was on the loose and this has nothing personally to do with Oak Park it is just where the man who got shot lived. Say a prayer and stop judging.

Update Please from Oak Park

Posted: June 4th, 2013 10:25 AM

Why hasn't the OPPD given any update about this gunman roaming our streets? Every time there is something like this that happens you never hear a word from the PD. Also, the Sun Times article that was referenced in this story mentions the homeowner has 5 kids and was taking in a boarder, who then started acting strange and paid for everything in cash. I don't know this lady's situation, but what kind of person would bring in some strange man to live with their family like this?

OP Resident #545 from Oak Park

Posted: June 4th, 2013 8:18 AM

where - not quite. The correct statement would be "less guns in the hands of criminals means less gun violence" Now that's really not hard to understand. To use the Clintonian paraphrase, "it's the bad guys, stupid!"

Where

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 10:56 PM

Marty, less guns means less gun violence. Not that hard to understand.

Marty from OP from Oak Park

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 1:19 PM

Where-49 states already have CC. Crime has not increased after passage of CC in one of those states. You see criminals don't obey the law. Law abiding citizens do. So more "gun laws" don't stop criminals.

rennee from atl ga

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 11:32 AM

Has anyone thought about what kind of person follows a man home from work to kill him. A sick crack idiot who has less honor for himself than the person he attempted to kill. Everyone in involved conspiracy, premeditated murder, attempt murder these people have thrown there lives away and should pay for having a man in the hospital fighting for his life everyday. Gun laws won't change that. But community rallying together becoming one will. Instead of finding negativity.

joe from south oak park

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 10:09 AM

where- keep in mind that the bill hasn't been signed by Quinn yet so the local restrictions on purchase/sale within village limits and the village AWB which restricts possession of most modern semiautomatic handguns is still in effect.

pro ccw

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 9:47 AM

just a foid

question

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 9:42 AM

Since the handgun ban was struck down, do you have to get a special permit to own one in Oak Park? Or do you just need your FOID card?

Where

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 9:15 AM

Ray, NOW you say what could be done before conceal and carry was passed. The notion that more guns will bring gun violence down is nonsense. More guns by law abiding and non law abiding people will bring gun violence even higher. Wow- now everything is even better. NOT

joe from south oak park

Posted: June 3rd, 2013 8:52 AM

OP Guy - Dion Riccardo's gym on Circle south of Roosevelt in Forest Park. They have more of an MMA style program so there is a range of different classes from boxing to grappling and kickboxing. In my opinion they do a pretty good job of striking a good balance between sport and self defense and general fitness. At a minimum it helps establish reference points so that you can work through the shock of suddenly being involved in a physical altercation, plus it's a great workout.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 10:10 PM

@ Rez if the village had a legal representative in court representing all of us and demanding strict enforcement - I believe the court would take heed and if the Wednesday journal and the Oak Leaves would publish the names of any judge who lets someone off - that is power! The cost would be minimal and I bet a few resident lawyers would help out. Civic duty you know

Rez

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 5:25 PM

Now, for reality, who actually thinks Oak Park, of the judges that sentence criminals, will take this hard line against gun crime? I certainly agree with zero tolerance, but the likely hood of something like that being supported in Oak Park is like a cow trying to jump through the eye of an needle and succeeding. I'm a liberal, but sometimes liberals are their own worst enemy.

John from Oak pk

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 2:52 PM

@Ray- that is a great idea, and I agree that we need to show criminals that zero tolerance means business. By the way, I'm certain the NRA would applaud that idea, they don't condone gun crime.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 1:19 PM

@ John - How about an effort closer to home? We should demand that Oak Park adopt a zero gun violence policy and make sure that any mope who pulls a gun in commission of a crime here feels the weight of the law and a knowledge that he will do every day of his maximum sentence. Word will get out that Oak Park is not friendly to thugs, crooks and gang bangers. If we took that approach I bet even the NRA would applaud our effort.

OP guy

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 12:52 PM

Joe, where do you box? I know it's transferable to the street to some degree, but do you train situational defense or is all the boxing training sportive for the ring? I think more people should consider boxing and wrestling as ways to deal with a physical conflict, as even if the specific techniques may not fit the situation, the intensity to sparring or wrestling a resisting opponent will provide some familiararity with the feel and mental dynamic of a fight.

Brendan

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 12:19 PM

Victim may have known the shooter? Shooting may be work related? With nothing certain, why hasn't the surrounding area been notified by police that there is person with a gun on the loose in the neighborhood that has already shot one person for reasons unknown? The communication between police and the community in this area of oak park is a disgrace.

John from Oak park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 11:36 AM

It has been happening in Chicago for decades, people who could never legally own a gun, commit the shooting crimes. Lets all get together and pressure the cook county states attorneys in the prosecution of people who are possession of guns when they shouldn't be.

John from Oak park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 11:33 AM

Why do certain people think that gun control is the answer for gun violence? Gun control laws only control the law abiding citizen who legally owns a gun. It's frustrating that certain people think that once a human being is allowed to carry a gun they turn into some mindless creature that is going to shoot up the streets. Certain people forget the fact that law abiding citizens would not do that, only the criminal who cares less about what gun control laws exist would do that.

joe from south oak park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 8:34 AM

I've been boxing at a gym 3 to 4 nights a week for some time. I'm getting older and it's hard to keep up with kids in their 20's. We live in a society where there is an element that has a low regard for life and is willing to use violence to take what they want from others. When CCW becomes law I hope I never need to use my handgun. In my younger days I spent some time in the Army and I've seen what damage a firearm can cause. If I need to protect myself or a loved one using violence, I will.

joe from south oak park

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 8:12 AM

Speedway - I agree with your statements below. few people will get a ccw permit to begin with and even fewer will carry on a regular basis. A couple of years from now when the novelty wears off that number will be fewer yet. Most people are not proficient with a handgun, have knowledge of the use of force law or have the will to shoot someone even if the shooting is legally justified. There are also people like myself that take classes on the use of a handgun and go to the range often.

Anger Happens

Posted: June 1st, 2013 10:50 PM

In Ottuma, Iowa; in Duluth, MN. in Chico, CA, in Melbourne, FL; in Decatur, AL; in Loredo, TX, in Durango, CO; in Eugene, OR; in Bossier City, LA; in Canton, OH; in Oak Park, IL. Folks, people do dumb things. This is not gang spillover, which has never really been an issue in OP. Unlike Evanston, we've got cops who really, really get it. Don't let the serious folk cause troule here. Rest easy, this was just some DF getting a bit worked out of sort and has now Effed the rest of his life up.

Rez

Posted: June 1st, 2013 7:11 PM

Rayyar, I was "privileged" in the sense that I grew up in an area where I didn't have to worry about violence, but we didn't have tones of money. I can see how coming from a more dangerous area would make Oak Park's crime feel like a non-issue, but to me the weekly armed robberies and assaults are too much of a concern for what we pay to live here. I've grown to expect more, when a village claims to be the ideal place for a premium.

Violet Aura

Posted: June 1st, 2013 6:32 PM

Whew! What a relief that it was work-related! I hear they've got bullets that bounce off people that don't work at a specific company! It's like that sign in Oak Park declaring it a nuclear-free zone. So reassuring that the missiles would skip our area

rayyar from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2013 2:01 PM

@Rez: I can "feel" you, but I also get the sense of priviledge in your background. Such may be what defines our perspective. Imagine the conversations we could have if only we were neighbors. My guess is we'd be best friends in no time...maybe a little onery but possiblility of mutual respect would be high.

Rez

Posted: June 1st, 2013 9:42 AM

Rayyar, if you always compare the south and west sides to Oak Park, Oak Park will always come out on top. I guess I'm just accustomed to using a higher measuring stick against Oak Park which is why I find the level of taxes for what you get, and the level of violent crime, too high. When looking at desirability and safety, I only find sense in comparing Oak Park to other safe and desirable areas... What's the point in comparing an Olympic athlete with a sick and frail old man?

rayyar from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2013 9:15 AM

@Rez: Like the quality of food one consumes, there is a price measured in terms of inputs (time, money, etc.) that translate to quality of life. And though I see lots of complaints about the taxes in Oak Park, I gladly pay my share. It's the context that provides me a certain perspective. Also, I acknowledge the current economic and social climate that has emerged in the midst of a severe downturn, there are consequences attendant. The contrasts in my experience shape my outlook.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: June 1st, 2013 3:15 AM

People with guns have power over those who do not. Most people could not shoot someone. Most people could not hit what they were shooting at. Most people are not trained at all in the use of guns. I for one do not want just anyone carrying a gun. Most people would have a hard time living with the reality that they killed someone. Guns are not for everyone.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: June 1st, 2013 2:52 AM

Last time I looked OP was not a fish bowl. Reality check, we live right next to a very large city where urban violence is a reality. To not expect spill-over is rather na%uFFFDve. As long as our streets and sidewalks are public right of way these incidents will continue to happen. Our laws are made to protect our civil liberties and as such leave us powerless until a crime is committed. Do we want a Travon Martin incident here?

Rez

Posted: May 31st, 2013 11:38 PM

Rayyar, that's great that you're happy where you are, and I'm sure you see more crime n the west and south sides, but you're comparing the most dangerous areas of Chicago to one of the most desirable and highly taxed suburbs... When people pay a premium with their hard earned money, they expect better. Oak Park can brag about its culture, homes, diversity, FLW etc... But without high levels of safety, its not doing to stay desirable over the long term.

not a gun nut

Posted: May 31st, 2013 10:31 PM

You are cowards, who would not so much as admit that you would've preferred if the victim was your dad/ husband brother/partner or YOU some helpful citizen would have been able to shoot the offender BEFORE he connected that bat with your loved one's skull. I'm waiting for the one of you who will say with a straight face that the sacrifice of your loved one being hit with a baseball hat in the head, at the pleasure of the offender, is worthwhile to avoid a citizen legally having a gun to stop it

not a gun nut

Posted: May 31st, 2013 10:25 PM

guns to be a gun nut. Nor do I know enough about them to respected by real gun nuts. I just know you're using that typical Oak Park veiled reality where you think because it doesn't happen to you and because it isn't your fear...then it shouldn't be anyone else's. Google the articles of OFF DUTY officers who have been attacked, injured, and/or killed in the last year. One was beaten to death by her grandson. One was attacked after a traffic accident. One was targeted by armed robbers. Factual.

not a gun nut

Posted: May 31st, 2013 10:21 PM

so far as we know and not one account yet has suggested that he was stopped by anything other than his own choice not to hit the victim again. You all live in Oak Park La La Reality. I have been robbed. I know people who have been robbed including stripped naked in the process. I know someone who had a gun put in his face and shot the guys robbing him. Only one of us didn't actually get robbed. The average policeman never uses his duty weapon but is armed just in case...and I don't have enough

not a gun nut

Posted: May 31st, 2013 10:18 PM

Reality Check and just in case cowboy...neither of you cared to address that an unarmed guy was just cracked in the head with a baseball bat and had he had a firearm he could have prevented that. In case you were not aware, you can die from being hit in the head with a baseball bay. While people speculated "Oh if he had a gun he may have shot him instead" I wondered why noone seemed to realize that he could have chosen to strike the guy with the bat three more times as well. He hit him once...

rayyar from Oak Park

Posted: May 31st, 2013 6:05 PM

I've lived in Oak Park for about 15 years, my family owns and operates a business with locations on South and West sides of Chicago. We see enough crime in one week to make up for everything O.P. reports over the course of one year. Few have any idea how much I appreciate where I live.

Rez

Posted: May 31st, 2013 5:35 PM

I'm so glad I moved to Oak Park. Those low tax, safe north center Chicago hoods were getting too boring. Here in Oak Park you not only get Heroin, but also weekly assaults of teens and a shooting. What more can you ask for.? What a great place for kids to grow up in... They can learn the life lessons of getting screwed with high taxes and violence.

just in case cowboy jon from sedona red rock

Posted: May 31st, 2013 3:26 PM

Just in case the economy collapses and people turn into homicidal, non- empathetic monkeys, Ill be armed, Just in case, a maniac attacks my family, Ill be armed. Iam not a cowboy, nor a hero, nor a gun nut. I believe its our right to, just in case. You may never find yourself in harms way and thats dandy, but Ill be armed just in case.

joe from south oak park

Posted: May 31st, 2013 2:04 PM

in before the lock

Reality Check

Posted: May 31st, 2013 1:56 PM

Sorry, you're a gun nut. You don't even comprehend that normal people don't share your ridiculous assumptions about armed "citizens".

not a gun nut

Posted: May 31st, 2013 11:28 AM

Muriel, I'd be more convinced if the people that are so "gun control" choose to express that sentiment in violent situations where they rely on people with guns to defend them...and I'm not just talking about on duty cops. I mean states with armed citizens that have intervened in violent situations as well as off duty cops here in Illinois who have stopped robberies/carjackings with their weapons. Real control is in prosecution. Our strict laws have been unsuccessful in prevention.

Steve from Oak Park

Posted: May 31st, 2013 11:26 AM

Just wondering, what crime free, drug free, low tax suburb did you move too?

Wow another OP incident?! from NotinOP

Posted: May 31st, 2013 11:08 AM

A baseball bat beating, a shooting, what's next? I guess a murder or two. So glad I moved out of that left wing liberal town with outrageous taxes. Oh but wait - the people committing the crimes arent from OP! So it's ok then.

muriel schnierow from Oak Park

Posted: May 31st, 2013 11:05 AM

we do not need a 12 billion dollar gun industry funding the death oriented NRA.it is insane. we all grew up in a different world and there were hunters in that world .i will not buy,carry,or shoot a gun.lets get some good gun control and save lives

Phil Keating from Oak Park

Posted: May 31st, 2013 10:55 AM

My Gosh, if the job gets that stressful, just QUIT.