Oak Park police charge man in alleged abduction at bus stop

Students reported Lincoln Town Car driver on arrival at Beye School

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

Oak Park police have charged a man held for questioning last week in connection with an alleged attempted child abduction with disorderly conduct, stating there was insufficient evidence to prove child abduction.

Marcus Boyd, 30, of the first block of Washington, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

According to a police summary report, on the morning of May 26, a 10-year-old female was approached by Boyd, who was driving a 1998 Lincoln Town Car. Boyd then allegedly asked the girl if she was waiting for him to pick her up. The victim ran back into the lobby of her apartment building, and exited again roughly 10 minutes later with two friends. The three juveniles reported seeing the same red vehicle pass three more times as they waited for the school bus.

The initial victim also reported seeing the same man exit the vehicle, and stand behind a tree located on the first block of Washington, motioning for the victim to come over and talk to him.

She did not, and all three juveniles boarded the school bus when it arrived, and reported the incident to school officials when they arrived at William Beye Elementary School, 230 N. Cuyler Ave.

The elementary school principal, Jonathan Ellwanger, sent out notifications to parents about the incident later that evening, stating that the children notified him of the incident as soon as they arrived at school. He said he subsequently called the police to file a report.

"Incidents like this remind us all about the safety precautions children should take when they are walking around Oak Park, whether it is to/from school or on the weekends," Ellwanger's letter read.

The letter also included a list of safety precautions compiled for the students, with the assistance of the Oak Park Police Department.

Oak Park Police Commander LaDon Reynolds said that there was insufficient evidence in the investigation to charge Boyd with child abduction, but there was enough evidence for a charge of disorderly conduct, based in part on Boyd's alleged attempts to alarm and disturb the juveniles.

matt

Posted: June 9th, 2011 4:43 PM

the first comment was concerned as to the direction oak park is heading with this awful news item. then folks talked about teachers and differant black nationalities? only some addressed the first comment.

OP Guy

Posted: May 31st, 2011 11:07 PM

I look forward to karma abducting Marcus!

Thou doth protest too much

Posted: May 31st, 2011 9:27 PM

Interesting, isn't it, how our friend Gianni, so glad to have left, still reads the WJ often and closely enough to comment on local events . . . oh Gianni, please come back, we miss you and you know deep down you miss us too. xoxoxo

OP Resident

Posted: May 31st, 2011 5:32 PM

Crime is DOWN people. Idiots exist EVERYWHERE. Oak Park will progress forward like anyplace else. Change is the only constant. Roll with it as you go. Love Oak Park. So sad to always see some ex Oak Parkers chiming in as if we fell apart becasue they left. Yea Right. Its like the slow buffalo. Only the best survive which makes us a better community today than yesterday.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 31st, 2011 3:40 PM

@Gianni: Oh no, let's PRAISE BUSH!!!! What an effing great leader he was! Boy did he lead our country to new heights? Dude, WTF are you on about? Why even bring up Dubya when discussing OP's so-called "decline?"

GianniV

Posted: May 31st, 2011 3:24 PM

OP has quickly declined in a sad mess, more concerned about "affordable housing, " the "achievement gap," and outlawing firearms. Glad I moved from there 3 years ago. Remember, it's never too late to blame Bush!

Violet Aura

Posted: May 31st, 2011 3:19 PM

He looks so contrite! NOT!!!!

Violet Aura

Posted: May 31st, 2011 11:27 AM

Cont. "Hispanic" as a descriptor describes a person with olive skin, dark hair and eyes. However, there are PRs with very pale skin, red hair and blue eyes! So it's just an ethnic descriptor to give the public an idea of who is being sought. As for AA, it used to be 'colored,' then 'negro,' then 'Black,' then 'Afro-American' and now 'AA.' But if we can use White in a story, for the love of God we should not exclude Black! Then the implication is that Black is NOT beautiful & should be re-labeled

Violet Aura

Posted: May 31st, 2011 11:24 AM

It depends upon context. For instance, my discussion is solely on what people immigrating here from Africa are called, not what they are called in the homeland. In news stories, the general use of "African-American" is as a descriptor and for that, I call bee ess. I can show you Puerto Ricans who look like they don't have any European in them whatsoever and they are 100% American because that's their nationality (along with being PR). However, the Journal would call them Hispanic.

Joe

Posted: May 31st, 2011 10:01 AM

@Violet Aura, I could be wrong on this one but it seems that the idea of African American is how we think to call people. Whites in South African would probably just call themselves South Africans, if they aren't Afrikaaners. I don't know of other countries that generalize racial and ethnic groups like we do. Not saying they don't exist, saying I don't know of them.

Joe

Posted: May 31st, 2011 9:54 AM

@ Katherine Wyman: Personally, I've never really embraced being called an African American. Africa is a continent with 50 some states. Imagine using European American in place of German,Italian or Russian America; all different places with different cultures and perspectives.I relate to Mississippi and Arkansas because I know no specifics of my origins before then. I am Black. If I go to Africa they will welcome me as a guest and an American, not a brother.

ed from Oak Park

Posted: May 31st, 2011 8:36 AM

So which do you think is a better punishment for this waste of space? Life in solitary confinement, or 2 years in general population right alongside the murderers and gang members?

Violet Aura

Posted: May 29th, 2011 5:08 PM

One of my pet peeves is seeing news stories and when they describe people they use "White" and "African-American" as descriptors, as if "Black" is a dirty word! How can that be? Why would "White" be fine and dandy and "Black" taboo? And another thing: there are White people who are African-Americans! The actress Charlize Theron is from South Africa, lives in the USA, hence:African-American and blonde! LOL

More Details Please from Oak Park

Posted: May 29th, 2011 6:39 AM

@Katherine-The Trib Local has the details you were asking for, as does the police alert referenced in this article. Girl was initially alone at the stop, and the man asked if she was waiting for him for a ride. She ran into a nearby building lobby until she saw some friends arrive. The car cruised past the stop several more times. The car was a 2008 not 1998 as stated by WJ.

Antiracist from US

Posted: May 28th, 2011 8:49 PM

@Violet. I agree with KW. You inadverently helped me figure out the difference between African American and Black. Seems to me one is a subset of the other and, like a white person, one could explain further beyond white or black when appropriate or known. And, as a white person, I think my ethnicity distinguishes me from other white people.

Katherine Wyman from Oak Park

Posted: May 28th, 2011 5:21 PM

@ Violet: Your comment raises a question I've wondered about lately. I'm white & in my 40s, and my peers & I were taught to use "African-Amer." as a politically correct replacement for "black." But as you point out, this can mislead--e.g. those from Caribbean being described as African-American when in fact their background is neither African nor American. So what IS the preferred terminology for 2011? Is it potentially offensive just to use "black" the same way we use "white"? Guidance anyone?

Katherine Wyman from Oak Park

Posted: May 28th, 2011 5:05 PM

I'm hoping to see the WJ clarify the discrepancy between the lead and the rest of the story. How was the experience of the 10-year-old girl mentioned in paragraph 1 different from that of the entire group of children? Without details, it sounds like an attempt at sensationalism - scarier to think of an attempt against a lone child than a group at a bus stop.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 28th, 2011 11:29 AM

I wonder how they knew he was African-American from looking at him? Perhaps he had a Nigerian flag hanging from his rearview mirror? If they just saw him, how did they know he wasn't African-Jamaican, Trinidadian-African or any other such permutation?

OP Resident

Posted: May 27th, 2011 8:22 PM

1998 or 2008 ? Jim, I believe he was being questioned already. That would mean they already have"caught" him.

Jim Coughlin

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:12 PM

OPPD will find this guy. I don't imagine there have been many '98 red Lincolns recently registered with the Secretary of State's office.

mar from oak park

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:00 PM

I'm glad that the students did what we ask them to do and tell a adult and ignore the person. Way to go kids. Also I would like to comment on the person who wrote about lazy teachers. Where do you get off talking like that? Teachers work very hard and I also don't know where you're coming from about the taxes. You need to congratulate the kids for doing the right thing. Get a life. We have great schools in Oak Park.

Kim

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:57 PM

To "There goes the neighborhood" I hope your comment was made sarcastically. The referendum has nothing to do with a police issue. Further, this has nothing to do with "lazy teachers". It sounds like the administration at Beye did exactly the right thing as quickly as possible.

there goes the neighborhood

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:48 PM

Well, I hope you people who supported the referendum are happy now. Look what high taxes and lazy teachers are doing to our community!! Noel, where are you when we need you?

OP Cititzen from Oak Park

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:21 PM

Those children should be commended for doing the right thing and reporting this situation immediately. It proves that kids do listen and learn when they are properly taught. Glad all were unharmed.

matt

Posted: May 27th, 2011 4:35 PM

some towns have less problems and some have more. smaller population towns often just have less awful news to report. not to sound cynical but its all over.

Paul Obis from Oak Park

Posted: May 27th, 2011 3:29 PM

What is happening to Oak Park? Attempted child abductions, assaults on women and children. Once, this was a nice, safe place. It seems like Oak Park is really going down the tubes.

Find a garage sale near you!