An attempted robbery occurred in the 1000 block of North Taylor Avenue in Oak Park at 5:01 p.m. on May 23. The victim – neither their age or gender were identified in the police report – was approached by two men from behind, one was armed with an orange-handled kitchen knife. One of the men punched the victim in the face and said, "Give me your stuff." The victim yelled out, "Call 911!" and the two robbers ran southbound, entered a silver, older model 4-door vehicle and fled eastbound on Berkshire Street. No loss or injuries were reported.
Motor vehicle theft
A man driving a gray 2015 Mercedes CLS 400 was rear-ended while driving northbound on Forest Avenue near the intersection of Division Street at 6:15 p.m. on May 23. The accident, however, appears to have been a ruse to get the man to leave his vehicle. After exiting his car, the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident – a four-door blue Nissan – drew the victim's attention near the rear of the Mercedes, while the passenger entered the Mercedes. Both men then drove away. The car was later recovered by the Chicago Police Department in the 4900 block of West Kinzie, but the victim's possessions – an iPhone 7, Macbook Pro and miscellaneous men's clothing – had been taken. The loss was an estimated $4,100.
Burglary to motor vehicle
- A 1998 Volkswagen Passat was burglarized in the 900 block of North Taylor sometime between 10 p.m. on May 19 and 9:30 a.m. on May 20. The burglar entered the vehicle through an unlocked door and stole a Garmin GPS, an Envercell power inverter, a pair of blue Blenders sunglasses, a red umbrella, a Samsung Bluetooth and a micro USB cord. The estimated loss is $310.
- A black 2008 Land Rover LR3 was burglarized in the 200 block of South Humphrey Avenue sometime between 7 p.m. on May 24 and 7:50 a.m. on May 25. The loss was reported as $4 in coins.
- A white 2006 Chevy work van was burglarized in the 300 block of North Harlem Avenue at 1:40 p.m. on May 25. Once inside the vehicle, the burglar stole three Milwaukee power tools, two Rigid press tools and a Bosch power tool. The estimated loss is $8,700.
Burglary to garage
- A garage was burglarized in the 1300 block of North Austin Boulevard sometime between 1 p.m. on May 23 and 6:30 a.m. on May 24. The burglar defeated a lock on the side service door. Once inside they unlocked a red Honda Accord and stole a bottle of wine and three novelty knives from the trunk. The estimate loss is $60.
- A garage was burglarized in the 700 block of South Lyman Avenue sometime between 6 p.m. on May 22 and 10 a.m. on May 23. The burglar entered the garage through a side service door, entered a 2016 Ford located inside the garage and stole an Apple iPad. The estimated loss is $1,000.
- A garage was burglarized in the 1200 block of North Avenue sometime between 6 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. on May 24. The burglar entered the garage through an unlocked side service door. The burglar then damaged two vehicles inside by pouring fertilizer and an unknown red liquid onto the vehicles inside, causing an estimated $1,000 in damage.
Attempted residential burglary arrest
Trumell Holmes, 28, of the 400 block of Park Street in Dickeyville, Wisconsin, was arrested in the 1200 block of North Austin Boulevard at 7:04 p.m. on May 24 and charged with attempted residential burglary and criminal damage to property. He was held for bond hearings.
- Joshua Turner, 29, of the 600 block of 1st Avenue in Maywood, was arrested in the 800 block of Mapleton Avenue at 2:27 a.m. on May 25 after being located inside a red 2009 Jeep Cherokee that he did not own. Further investigation revealed Turner had stolen spare change from the Jeep. He was charged with burglary. He also was charged with a burglary to a garage and automobile that occurred in the 700 block of North Hayes Avenue on April 9, 2017.
Attempted burglary to motor vehicle
A white 1999 Dodge Caravan was the target of an attempted burglary in the 300 block of North Maple Avenue at 4:42 p.m. on May 25. The burglar gained entry to the vehicle and ransacked the glove compartment. No loss was reported.
- A residence in the 400 block South Kenilworth Avenue was burglarized sometime between 7:45 a.m. and 8:15 p.m. on May 22. The burglar entered the residence through an unlocked door and stole several pieces of jewelry, a Vera Bradley weekend bag, $150 in coins and a Kindle Fire tablet. The total loss is unknown.
- An apartment was burglarized in the 600 block of Wenonah Avenue sometime between 11:19 a.m. and 4:40 p.m. on May 22. The burglar entered the apartment by forcing in the front door and stole a $20 bill from the kitchen island drawer.
These items, obtained from the Oak Park and River Forest police departments, came from reports, May 19-25, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime and cases have not yet been adjudicated. We report the race of a suspect only when a serious crime has been committed, the suspect is still at large, and police have provided us with a detailed physical description of the suspect as they seek the public's help in making an arrest.
— Compiled by Timothy Inklebarger
Answer Book 2017
To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2017 Answer Book, please click here.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|