Four Oak Park middle school students charged in battery

Updated:

By Megan Dooley

Seven Percy Julian Middle School students were charged with disorderly conduct, and four were additionally charged with battery and mob action for an attack on a fellow student that occurred early in May.

Oak Park Police Commander LaDon Reynolds said the 13-year-old male victim, who was also a student at Percy Julian, was approached by the seven classmates, all 14-year-old males, outside of the middle school building on the 400 block of S. Ridgeland Ave. at 9 a.m. on May 5. "He was battered by at least four of the students," Reynolds said of the victim.

The victim suffered minor injuries which did not require treatment.

Reynolds said the suspects were identified during the investigation of the battery and the charges were issued on various dates between one and two weeks later. "In this situation, all of these citations were issued at the police station with the cooperation of the parents," he said.

Reynolds said he couldn't speak to the involvement of the school in investigating the incident, only that a school resource officer was "involved in the investigation." Reynolds said he couldn't be more specific about the resource officer's role.

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:52 PM

@Jayme - Yeah, they need to do a better job with information! My son hasn't had any problems as severe as yours, but as a mom I do feel your pain when the staff dismisses instances of bullying so easily. I don't believe either of the boys my son has had issues with was even written up.

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:50 PM

@ Jayme - Please note, that I initially stated that I WAS NOT implying that this wasn't a case of bullying (see my second post). I can understand how, as a parent, this is a very emotional issue and close to your heart. I do stand by my questions in the context in which they were stated, but I do apologize for any offense or upset they may have caused as offense or blame were not my intentions. Best wishes to you and yours, and I truly hope this issue resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Jayme Powell

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:49 PM

I was surprised when I saw this article...because this took place on Thursday May 5th.....So 21 days later this was posted??? Who was trying to hide what?

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:43 PM

@ Jayme - The part you quoted was what I stated later, after Jason decided to jump on me for my reply. A ritual attack is "something else going on", though I do see why you that particular line might have upset you. This isn't a normal fashion of bullying. Usually there are a couple in a group, and the rest acting as the voice of reason. This article did not say... anything really, about what actually occurred. I wasn't blaming the victim but questioning the responses to a fairly empty article.

Jayme Powell

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:35 PM

JG- I do understand exactly what Jason was saying. You had made it seem as if my son had provoked the situation it would have been justified. What you were doing was assuming as you stated" it is my opinion that something else was probably going on here"....when that was not the case. Thank you Jason Malley for coming to my defense!Also thank you JG for your apology.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:19 PM

@ Jason Malley - My initial post was merely containing questions, after reading a vague article and several of the replies (particularly the "westside" comment, to which you had no response). You proceed to accuse me of blaming the victim. The parent of the boy who was jumped has since responded, and I have no need to go back and for with you over such silliness.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:15 PM

@ Jayme Powell - Thank you for taking the time to reply directly to my posts. Thanks also for the detailed information. I'm sorry about what happened to your son, and I am sorry if my questions (or tone) in anyway offended you. I hope he's doing well, and I hope that you guys find a fair and just end to this matter.

Jayme Powell

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:09 PM

J.G.....If you read all of the below comment you will see I am the parent of the 13 year old boy who was jumped by 7 8th grade boys. I did tell the story of what happened. My son was the victim of what is called the 7th grade beat down(a group of 8th grade boys randomly choose a 7th grade boy and jump them). Again as I stated below this is all caught on school cameras.

Jason Malley

Posted: June 1st, 2011 4:04 PM

I am sure your an adult, look it up...you do know how to do a search, don't you? You will have to read a ton more comments, however, because the parents reply is in the comments section of the previous article... I think there are three in total related to the story.

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 3:40 PM

If the parents have explained what actually happened, please post a link. My reply was only to the information give in this article. I'm well aware of what I've stated, and my only point (as I've stated repeatedly) is that the article lacks detail needed to account for the reactions.

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 3:37 PM

You do understand that simply pushing someone is defined as battery, do you not? There are a couple of kids at my sons school who I was told are bullies when I tried to complain. The staff is well aware! So, a kid throws food and rocks, pushes my son, breaks his things, and the school does nothing about it. Say my son has two of his friends help him confront the boy. The boy gets pushed a bit and he presses charges. There isn't enough information in this article to freak out over. Sensationalism

Jason Malley

Posted: June 1st, 2011 3:28 PM

You say all kinds of things could have caused the attack on the victim by trying to lay blame on that one person who was attacked...re-read your own post. And what happened was fairly well explained by the child's parent in another version of this story.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2011 3:19 PM

No, I didn't blame anyone at all. I'm assuming you're an adult and know how to read, so try again. The boy suffered "minor" injuries, but was addressed by SEVEN people. I've seen bullying before, and it is my opinion that something else was probably going on here. Maybe some of those kids had complained, but... as others have stated... our schools don't do enough about these types of problems. My point is... for all the melodrama here, no one here knows the actual story.

Jason Malley

Posted: June 1st, 2011 2:59 PM

Hold on. Don't blame the victim. Four children were arrested for the attack, on one child. By your logic, JG, you are saying that 4 kids can beat up 1 kid if he threw a rock at a sister? Wow, that is flat out the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Maybe the victim, in your scenario, should go find someone in authority or call the police themselves not resort to more violence. You are "reacting without knowing details" so please don't speculate and try an lay blame on the victim.

J.G.Morales

Posted: June 1st, 2011 2:28 PM

C'ont- That said... I do agree that the schools aren't doing nearly enough to prevent actual cases of bullying. (I'm not saying this story definitely wasn't about bullying, but that people are reacting without knowing the details. Maybe that kid was bullying someone else, and these students were reacting to their sucky school system.) Our schools do not do enough to monitor our children and make sure they feel safe. I am also considering private school for my children.

J.G.Morales from Oak Park

Posted: June 1st, 2011 2:20 PM

The replies here are very "interesting". Do we know that this one 13 year old hadn't stolen something, spread a rumor, or thrown a rock at someone's sister? Do we know that this was a case of bullying? It's a scary situation to read about, but everyone is reacting as though he was beaten to within an inch of his life. Recall the kids who were "trespassing" out here just a few months ago? Can you say sensationalism? Westside? Not quite. Try moving to the westside to see "what's really hood".

Bob

Posted: June 1st, 2011 1:25 PM

Parents should take responsibility for their children, oh wait thats right it wont happen. If I ever have kids they will not be in school around here thats for sure. OP tax paying coming to an end for this Joe, I mean Bob.

Bob

Posted: June 1st, 2011 1:21 PM

West Side!

Dave from Oak Park

Posted: May 30th, 2011 10:17 AM

Like everyone, we held our breath as our kids got through the junior highs. Just as we moved here the vote was taken whether to build 2 big buildings to house 900 junior high kids each. On its face it was crazy. Warehouse kids at the most vulnerable, hormonal age in several stories of opportunity to practice high school? Since, no effort has been taken to measure the effectiveness of this decision. K-8 divides and conquers, allows leadership, gives small community controls. Time to go back

my2cents

Posted: May 30th, 2011 6:20 AM

These 2 recent instances could have more bedfellows if parents would braver or smarter and get the police involved. My son had a problem that I went to the administration with and it was swept under the rug. Too much time has passed to squeal about it now but I applaud these parents for involving the police. As for what makes a BD classroom, I'd leave that up to the experts. Repeated classroom disruptions, violent episodes and suspensions provide a clue for a need for alternate placement.

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 29th, 2011 8:08 PM

What you say about racial sensibilities may be true, Violet, but I think the comment is premature based on what we know about these incidents. First, I see no evidence of hesitancy by the Julian admin. In one case there was a meeting with the principal,social worker, and police officer, with the perpetrator sent home for at least one day, and in the other there are criminal charges pending. Nor do I think we know the race of the victim or perpetrators in either case.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 29th, 2011 5:43 PM

Yes, I do understand that and the children with whom I worked were LD as well. (I was the assistant and did not have access to their IEPs.)In any case, I do believe that even if a kid doesn't have a learning disability, if they have emotional difficulties severe enough to impact the classroom on a regular basis, they need to be in a therapeutic environment with people trained in psychology, not just education. Their family life has to be evaluated, as well.

OP Parent

Posted: May 29th, 2011 5:21 PM

@Violet Aura - I suggest you take a look at the regulations that can be found on the Illinois State Board of Education's website. Kids with emotional disabilities qualify under IDEA. And, yes, sometimes (but not always) they have difficult behaviors. However, there is a difference between kids who have emotional disabilities and non-disabled kids who have bad behavior. If you work in special ed you should know the difference.

Violet Aura

Posted: May 29th, 2011 5:04 PM

I am gonna go there: is there a racial component here, which is creating hestitation on the part of the administration? In other words, are Black kids targeting White kids? Bullying is certainly older than dirt, but if this is more of a specific hostility due to race, then I wonder if those in charge are afraid to come down on the bullies because of being seen as "racist" or unduly harsh? There really seems to be an undercurrent of something here that I cannot put my finger on...

Violet Aura

Posted: May 29th, 2011 5:01 PM

@OP Parent:Oh really?That is news to me and I worked in a SPED classroom. They called it BD/ED. But I actually believe that students who are emotionally disturbed (in other words, are not able to control their impulses, emotions during the school day) should be in a therapeutic day school where psychologists can monitor their behavior. How can the average SPED teacher handle BD-ED kids (some of whom are violent), along with autistic kids, those with only LD? They are not trained in that area.

OP Parent

Posted: May 29th, 2011 2:43 PM

IDEA identifies 13 disabilities as the basis for students' eligibility for special education services. "Behavior Disorder" is not one of them. Do not confuse kids who choose to act badly with those who have a disability. There is a difference.

k

Posted: May 29th, 2011 1:50 PM

How would you determine BD?

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 29th, 2011 10:37 AM

BD classsrooms may be a good idea (I don't have enough information to have an opinion). But note that the two incidents in question occurred in the hallway and outside the school, respectively, not in the classroom.

my2cents

Posted: May 29th, 2011 6:39 AM

@ OP Parent Julian has LD classrooms but doesn't have a BD classrooms but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have them. Kids with conduct disorders are due a FAPE but that doesn't mean other kids should serve as outlets for their uncontained aggresssion. OPRF has BD classrooms and their purpose is to teach AND contain conduct problems. The Oak Park middle schools should adopt their model. Parents should continue to call the police and have the offenders arrested until D97 acts on this.

OP Parent

Posted: May 28th, 2011 6:24 PM

@Julian Parent - if/when students attack other kids - physically or verbally - there needs to be corrective action. Depending on lots of factors, there are various actions which might be appropriate - including removing a student from the local school. However, there are many students in D97 who are in "contained" classrooms due to various learning challenges. These classes are (or at least are supposed to be) places of learning. Their purpose is not to contain violent students.

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 28th, 2011 5:49 PM

Ms. Powell, I think it is a fair inference from your posts that you blame the incident on the superintendent, the principal and the teachers. I sympathize with your feelings, but I think that approach is counterproductive. And when you complain that a boy guilty of bullying was back in school after a couple of days, it is a fair inference that you believe he should not have been permitted back in the school. If that is not what you believe I am happy to be corrected.

Julian Parent

Posted: May 28th, 2011 5:48 PM

@OP Parent - children who have a history of violent behavior do not belong with regular ed kids. Call it "alternative placement" if it makes you feel better. Here is the D97 respect code: http://www.op97.k12.il.us/julian/students/Respect.pdf These kids are creating an emotionally and physically unsafe environment and should be out of the mainstream environment. Juvie, perhaps???

Jayme Powell

Posted: May 28th, 2011 5:19 PM

Daniel....Not once in my post did I point fingers, I just stated the facts of what happened.Nor did I ask to have the kids removed from the school. I just feel that the victim(my son) in this case is the one being penalized! To comment on your proir statement"You don't see how on can describe the school as being "tolerant" when in one case the 14 year old alleged perpetrators are being criminally charged..That has nothing to do with the school!

OP Parent

Posted: May 28th, 2011 4:20 PM

To "Julian Parent" - the implication that self contained classrooms are for kids with bad behavior is stunningly ill informed and disrespectful. And speaking of respect - while D97 staff are more than willing to lecture students about respect, their inability to treat students with respect provides a daily role model in disrepect. Not to worry though - we are now paying higher taxes so all is good.

Julian Parent

Posted: May 28th, 2011 10:29 AM

Children who are known to be violent should be placed in a self-contained classroom. Students should feel safe during the school day. My child does not feel safe at Julian.

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 28th, 2011 7:57 AM

Ms. Powell, I don't minimize what happened to your son or the problem generally. But I'm not sure finger-pointing is the best way to approach it. While the individual teacher your son approached may have not responded appropriately, I don't see how anyone can fault the ultimate response. Removing 13 and 14-year olds from school permanantly would be pretty much throwing those kids away. I don't think that's the solution, at least not as a general policy.

OP Guy

Posted: May 27th, 2011 11:42 PM

Bullies are just wimps themselves that have pent up anger from either getting abused at home or have parents that never gave them enough attention etc... that need easy victims to act out on. Don't expect the parents to take responsibility because they're probably not the type of people that are capable of owning up to being failed parents. After all, these kids are bullies because of they're parents inability to parent. The parents are more prob. concerned with getting their kids off the hook.

Jayme Powell

Posted: May 27th, 2011 8:32 PM

Well trusting the word of Dr. Robert's we send him to school and 2 days later this(the 7th grade beat down) happens. Because of bullying my son has had to change teams, miss many days of school....mean while these kids who jumped him or bullied him got suspended and are now back in school. I do have to say that the OPPD did a great job with this incident and have helped my son understand a lot of things.

Jayme Powell

Posted: May 27th, 2011 8:26 PM

I had to pull my son out of school for bullying issues that had happened in April where my son was punched in the face during lunch, then followed home after school by a student. I made an appt with Dr. Roberts who told my husband and I that we had to send our son back to school it was the law. That he would talk with Dr. Sharts and make sure my son would have more supervision around him.

Jayme Powell

Posted: May 27th, 2011 8:22 PM

I am the parent of the 13 year old boy who was jumped by (7) 8th grade boys. My son had his back to the kids as they pick him up throw him to the ground and proceed to kick him several times. My son suffered from many bruises along with a huge scrap on his knee. This was all caught on Julian's cameras. Right after this happened my son approached a teacher and told her and she responded with ok baby! This has been on on going battle here at the school.

Fred from River Forest

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:50 PM

You can't even bring batteries to school in Oak Park anymore? What a joke.

Kathy

Posted: May 27th, 2011 10:26 AM

For those who think private school is the answer, my kids were in private school and the bullying was worse than it ever was in public school. Administrators seemed loath to sanction students because of the potential loss of tuition. My experience with OP public schools, teachers, and administrators has surpassed that of local private schools. My children are doing better, too. And no more bullying - at least so far.

Done from Oak Park

Posted: May 27th, 2011 9:02 AM

I'd also like to invite any parent in Oak Park and the Austin neighborhood of Chicago for that matter, to come and spend a couple of hours at the basketball court at Longfellow Park and enjoy the witty banter the kids enlighten us with. The "adults" who play there come from Chicago - you can tell by the few cars that actually have a city sticker - and don't excatly respect the fact that there are school age children around, much less the kids and their language.

blind trust

Posted: May 27th, 2011 8:45 AM

Ignoring the fact that reaction to this particular incident was blown out of proportion (based on what I have heard), this all comes down to failed leadership from the superintendent on down. We have given D97 the seal of approval with our dollars, now protect and educate our children.

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:28 AM

I am completely with you opie. In particular, I don't understand the perverse notion that elimiating theatre, music, art, athletics, etc., would somehow ameliorate the problem of bullying and other misconduct. The reverse is surely true. Gap, do you have any data to support your claim that D97's reaction to these incidents is an anomaly, and can you be a little less cryptic as to what this has to do with the "achievement gap"?

opie

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:15 AM

And one last thing: I am glad the referendum passed and confused about the connections some are making between funding after-school activities, art, music, athletics, and qualified, enthusiastic teachers and this incident. I am thinking maybe the people who think not passing the referendum would have made this better? Should go back to school themselves for some logic classes, or better yet attend a PTO meeting and get involved.

opie

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:11 AM

And by "talking about it," I don't mean gossiping about how it's a terrible school. I agree that the behavior of a few kids starts in grade school and escalates in middle school. I hope that the school is able to redirect this behavior so that the kids can have an academic future. I don't know enough about the situation to know why an 11-y-o is being faced with police intervention, but that seems extreme to me.

opie

Posted: May 27th, 2011 7:05 AM

I get very tired of people whose kids don't go to Julian saying exactly what is wrong with Julian. It's not a cakewalk, but there is so much good. Kids bully, yes. Assistant principals are very good at addressing it and shutting it down. But parents need to talk about it--a lot don't, whether because their kids don't want them to, or they have this belief it won't do anything or it will make it worse. The teachers can't help if behavior isn't reported.

OPRF Gap

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:58 AM

@Daniel - D97 seems to clamp down selectivity, as you point out to set an example. However, the examples of GOOD behavior and EXPECTED behavior MUST be engrained and enforced at the earliest of ages - like 1st Grade. These behavior symptoms are spiked through out the grade schools. So, if they do not have a family that demands GOOD behavior - and a Schools environment that does not Demand it - this is what you Get. Would also add - this is also what highly contributes to the Achievement Gap.

Daniel Hurtado

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:49 AM

I don't see how one can describe the school as being "tolerant" when in one case the 14-year-old alleged perpetrators are being criminally charged, and, in the other case, the 11-year-old alleged perpetrator is being investigated by the police. As much as we would like it to, "zero tolerance" does not mean "zero incidents." You want to permanently suspend an 11-year old boy? Then what happens to him? You want to just throw him away?

Pattern of Behavior at District 97 from Oak Park

Posted: May 27th, 2011 6:20 AM

This is just the latest incident. This kind of bad behavior has been going on for years at Julian and it starts in elem. school. My kids go to private school (until HS) just to avoid this kind of treatment. This is a perfect example of District 97's complete lack of control and accountability. My kids deserve better, and receive it at their private school. I wish that my taxes went to schools I could believe in so my kids could learn in a safe environment that I don't have to pay twice for.

Robert T

Posted: May 27th, 2011 12:29 AM

Don't the parents of the students involved bear some responsibility for this?

Former Julian Parent from OP

Posted: May 26th, 2011 11:39 PM

I agree with a previous post; children are born with a clean slate. Their behavior is learned. Rules/polices have to be stringent and be enforced. There has to be strong, significant deterrents for behavior; something more than suspending them. They don't want to be in school to begin with! Probably the worst experience in my son's academic career will be his experience at Julian.

Bravo

Posted: May 26th, 2011 11:14 PM

I'm just glad Bravo and the fat teacher pensions were saved - the safety of childen and the overrated "education" will need to be addressed in the next referendum.

Posted: May 26th, 2011 10:57 PM

Yes, I am glad the referendum passed. What is your point?

The Irony

Posted: May 26th, 2011 10:52 PM

@Where is Noel? Could there be a better example of bullying and/or belittling than your post? Let's input another PTO members name. Take them all to task not just one. What the heck is the "central office"? I don't work for the district so I don't know the lingo. Like others, what does your post have to do with the issue other than deflection.

opie

Posted: May 26th, 2011 10:09 PM

what the heck does this event have to do with the referendum? Are you somehow of the impression that Julian is the only school with bullies?

Just Say Yes!!!!

Posted: May 26th, 2011 9:50 PM

Still glad the referendum passed???? - gee - NOW do you think the NO people had a point? Is this the new accountability???

Wondering about Brooks?

Posted: May 26th, 2011 9:50 PM

Are similar problems happening at Brooks? Unresponsive admins and bullying/violence?

brooks 8th grader from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 9:44 PM

And Mr.JS character vie never hear of a person being assaulted by someone in the 2nd or 1st grad...

Brooks 8th grader from Oak park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 9:39 PM

The policy is bein suspended for 2 days... Not the year...

Laura from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 9:31 PM

What is D97's policy re. children who beat, punch, and trip other children? Are they suspended for the rest of the year? Do they have to go thru some kind of rehab program? Is there weapons detection at the middle schools? At the high school?

Trisha from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 8:56 PM

I would never in a million years send any of my kids to Julian. Never ever!!!! Consider yourself warned.

Marcus from OP

Posted: May 26th, 2011 8:49 PM

I wonder if Oak Park Township's Youth Intervention Program could have prevented this act of violence? I think not, another poorly run program that taxpayers get to fund. When are people gonna wake up?

Where is Noel

Posted: May 26th, 2011 7:45 PM

He is a Julian PTO Co-President, isn't he? Why doesn't he do something constructive like putting pressure on the principal to start kicking punks like these out of school? Guess he is too busy harassing the central office to mind his own backyard....

insert clever name here

Posted: May 26th, 2011 6:41 PM

To clarify, the incident of rudeness and noise in the hall was in a feeder school to Julian. Elisabeth, I am sorry for your family, I can't say I am optimistic for you getting this resolved. It never should have happened.

Elisabeth Schaffrath from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 6:20 PM

My story is true, there is a police report and district 97 incident report concerning my 6th grade daughter being punched in the face by a 6th grade boy. My husband and I are trying to get justification, support and safety for out daughter and the many many kids that are bullied every day at Julian Middle School.

insert clever name here

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:57 PM

This doesn't happen in isolation. 4 years ago I was assisting a 1st grade teacher by working with kids one on one in the hallway when a 4th or 5th grade class walked by extremely loud and disrespectful. I tried to quiet them down with a respectful "shush," and when their TEACHER walked behind me she mocked me with a loud "shush," then the kids laughed. Quiet lines in hallway is an expectation in our new school. So what is the culture in your school?

opie

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:53 PM

My impression is that PBIS is making a different, for those kids who were introduced to it in the early grades. The current 7th and 8th graders started PBIS later, though, in 5th grade, I think? I see a vast difference in the way my younger kids are experiencing socialization vs. my older kids, who are currently in middle school. I am surprised the Julian community hasn't heard a peep about this, though. That's not right.

Corporal Punishment from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:35 PM

Assuming this incident and Elisabeth's story are both true, all perpetrators involved need to be barred from attending OPRFHS, and sent to some school for wayward youth. If there is a video of Elisabeth's daughter's incident, it should be made available for all to see. Then, the guardian of these little darlings need to pay the piper via lawsuits/charges for negligence. This is disgusting, & I don't care who they are this needs to be dealt with swiftly and severely. Someone @ JMS gets fired too.

JUlian Parent

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:30 PM

Are we talking honestly? Julian represents the lost years in the OP system. Anyone know of private school transfers for those 3 years? I know families that have and the rejoin for OPRF. It is a tougher school than it should be.

M on Ridgeland from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:16 PM

Nothing has changed at that school. My kids went there over 6yrs ago and Dr.Sharts plus the staff do not respond to help you if you have a problem!! Elisabeth you need to get some legal advice. D97 you need to address this ASAP! AND the parents of these kids need to be held accountable for the kind of conduct their children are exhibiting!

B. Lanning from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 5:01 PM

BOARD OF EDUCATION SPECIAL EXECUTIVE MEETING Friday, May 27, 2011 at 9 a.m. THIS MEETING WILL BE HELD IN THE TRAINING LAB AT THE DISTRICT OFFICE LOCATED AT 970 MADISON STREET. 9 A.M. EXECUTIVE SESSION (Student Discipline, 5 ILCS 20/2(c)(9))

Disgusting

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:53 PM

Is this why I pay higher taxes? To have my kids subjected to the same type of behavior that is prevalent in the inner city? Where are the parents? Where are the administrators? Lord knows they get pd enough-they should be doing something about this! Where is Chris Jascula now?

RR

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:45 PM

Eliabeth I am so sorry about your daughter. I have trouble wrapping my brain around the staff not doing anything? What happens if it is elevated to the principals or assistant principals? What happens when parents take it up with them? Have these issues been addressed at the district level?

Done from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:45 PM

Elisabeth - and file suit against the district for failing to protect your child. This type of an incident should not be tolerated by anyone - child, parent, teacher, or administrator.

tom

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:41 PM

Elisabeth- you have every right to go to the police and press charges. They should have told you this at the school. Do so, if you feel you daughter is threatened.

Elisabeth Schaffrath from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:31 PM

I am the mother of the girl who was punched in the face 1 week ago, Thursday, May 19 at 3:33pm by her locker at Julian Middle School by a boy about 50-60lbs bigger than her. He tripped her first, then punched her in the face. Her face is still black and blue- it was a unprovoked attack of battery fortunately ON TAPE BY THE JULIAN SECURITY CAMERA! My daughter has been complaining all year that the Julian staff "Does nothing about it, so most kids do not report it".

Done from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:21 PM

Thank you OP Resident for your last sentence. I wish all junior high parents (and OPRF parents also), regardless of race, could somehow spend a day unnoticed and be able to listen to how their little angels talk and treat one another. It's pathetic. And walking past Julian it never ceases to amaze the deragatory names these kids call one another. And as a white adult it is especially appalling to hear 6th graders calling each other "n^#@&*". One more talking point on "the gap".

Great Reporting from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: May 26th, 2011 4:15 PM

Hilarious - this happened on May 5th and the Journal is just getting around to it now. Way to stay on the up and up guys!

OP Resident near OPRF

Posted: May 26th, 2011 3:47 PM

ZT is probably right. The other day a mob of teen girls started beating up on one in the alley behind my place. I figured it would be faster to shout out the window than call 911 and sure enough they stopped right away, trying to say she fell down and they were just helping her up. And yes, they were all black. Oooooo...

Jim Coughlin

Posted: May 26th, 2011 3:36 PM

No one is born a bully. It is a learned behavior. Children who do not respect themselves will not respect others.

Zero Tolerance from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 3:35 PM

One more reason to keep my children going to a private school with a zero tolerance policy on bullying. Parents and their children both know what is expected and are held accountable. It's the only effective prevention.

jk from oak park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 3:20 PM

Maybe Sharts should bring back hugging?

Carlson from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 3:03 PM

Not implying that at all. Just wondering if bullying is worse here than the average (state? national? don't know). I've heard from parents that it's worse here, but have no way to judge except by scary incidents like this.

RR

Posted: May 26th, 2011 2:49 PM

JS -- which school? What are the principal and teacher doing? I feel like we haven't seen any such behavior in our elementary school in OP and the teachers and principal stay very involved and on top of the situation. I am concerned about what happens at the middle school level.

Frightened Geezer from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 2:48 PM

So Carlson, seven 14 year olds gang up on one 13 year old and four of the seven batter the one and you wonder if that's about par for the bullying situation?? Implying, I guess, if that's the case then bullying is not a significant problem?? If one kid is bullied, that is one too many. Gang bullying at school or anywhere is an outrage. Maybe we are too lenient. How about putting the offenders on a chain gang?! Then we could find them to count them until we got a significant number for you.

JS

Posted: May 26th, 2011 2:42 PM

Bullying is also a big issue in the pubic Elementary schools. My daughter has dealt with numerous assaults (choking, pinching, bruising, pushing)... all from boys just acting out on their aggressions. And she is only 7!

Carlson from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 2:29 PM

So is PBIS really making a difference? Is bullying a significant problem in our middle schools or not? Is there any reliable data about this? (Is the data being released by the district accurate?) I've heard that bullying in the middle schools is bad, but I don't have any data or any way to compare it to other schools. What's the real story?

Lisa from Oak Park from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2011 2:25 PM

Really?

Find a garage sale near you!