Austin Gardens building will aid Festival Theatre

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Congratulations to the Park District of Oak Park on securing the funds for the new building in Austin Gardens. This is a project very near and dear to my heart, as I was closely involved with its planning for many years when I was on the board of Festival Theatre. Not only will the nature center be a plus, but Festival Theatre patrons will have real bathrooms to use for the shows, and its actors should be able to have dressing rooms that meet Equity standards.

There are many ways this building can serve the dual goals of the Austin Trust, which is dedicated to both nature and culture. I am glad to hear that the park district is in touch with the Festival Theatre board about the plans and look forward to attending shows in the park with the enhanced atmosphere.

Joyce Porter

Oak Park

Unfortunately

Posted: May 27th, 2013 8:06 PM

It is no mystery that the taxes in Oak Park (property, utility, permits, parking, etc.) are at nose-bleed levels AND that many long-term residents are fleeing the community and new residents are just waiting until their kids have finished with the schools - and so the sense of "community" suffers. I do, though, wish to make one cost-savings suggestion for the PD - stop planting sod at new developments and just plant weeds. Scoville Park looks great right now - but shortly the weeds will rule!

Marty Bracco from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: May 27th, 2013 1:02 PM

Bruce, thank you for clarifying the meetings you attended, and for your input at those meetings. Thanks also for Julie's service on the infrastructure committee. As you know, it was the findings from their report in 2002 that formed much of the basis for the subsequent master plans as well as for the successful 2005 referendum. You are incorrect about criticisms, though. Those park planning meetings, citizens committee meetings, & board meetings as well as call, emails, & meeting folks on the street generating much debate, criticism, ideas, and finally, consensus. Not 100% agreement, mind you, but consensus over what's best for all of the varied interests, especially those of the beleaguered OP taxpayer (which includes me & my fellow board members). Believe me, in 10+ years of involvement with the PDOP we all listened to, accepted, & acted upon input of all types from many, many citizens.

Speedway from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: May 27th, 2013 12:25 PM

I am one of those many Oak Parkers who did not attend all those meetings. Why, you may ask? Your agenda is still the same, spend more money. We do not need all these things. They are just a way to elevate our little hamlet over others, saying we have more, we are better. But, we are not, we just have more money to spend and more taxes to pay. How does this make living in Oak Park better?

James

Posted: May 26th, 2013 10:13 PM

The complainers tend to "attend" meeting but say nothing until after. Classic Bruce. Clearly you werent part of any process. If you were Marty would have heard and saw you.

Bruce Samuels from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2013 5:21 PM

Oh Marty, I forgot about a SEOPCO meeting at Garfield and a Village Hall meeting re the proposed building on the VH parking lot. Marty, you are classical, you don't deal with the criticisms but you attack the questioner. This is why some people don't even bother to go to meetings.

Bruce Samuels from Oak Park

Posted: May 26th, 2013 4:59 PM

Marty, I attended several meetings when Longfellow and Taylor were redone, and I complimented those parks recently in these blogs. My wife put over a year's work on the infrastructure committee and I assisted her on site at many locations.

Marty Bracco from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: May 23rd, 2013 4:06 PM

Bruce, I'm curious. Has the Park District ever done anything that you've approved of or thought was a good idea? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall your ever having attended a park master planning meeting, a board meeting, or any citizen committee meeting in the past 8 years that I served on the board. Assuming that's true I'm just wondering where all the negativity comes from, and why you never made your feelings known while plans were being formed. There was no shortage of opportunities to have a say and influence the process for the common good. Lots of your neighbors certainly did.

Magpie-eye

Posted: May 23rd, 2013 11:12 AM

Sounds like a swanky place for the homeless population to congregate.

Bruce Samuels from Oak Park

Posted: May 23rd, 2013 10:07 AM

Bathrooms for theater goers... Why not a food stand, popcorn machines, an advertisement board, etc? It's Austin Gardens not Austin Theater. If folks want a full service theater then why not repurpose one of those empty buildings on Madison and let the park be a park.

Bruce Samuels from Oak Park

Posted: May 23rd, 2013 9:01 AM

Will the real Joyce Porter please stand up

Posted: May 22nd, 2013 11:08 AM

Joyce, since you masked your true identity when meeting with current executives and aligned yourself with others that did the same, i doubt your praise to the pd means much. I am actually surprise the wed journal still prints your letters.

Find a garage sale near you!