Four in charged in Oak Park carjacking

No one injured; cops work with Chicago to nab suspects

Updated:

By Timothy Inklebarger

Oak Park police have charged four Chicago resident – two male juveniles and two men – with vehicular hijacking for allegedly taking a car from an Oak Park resident at gunpoint on April 7 in the alley between the 700 blocks of North Grove and Kenilworth avenues.

Both Darryl G. Peters Jr., 19 of the 400 block of North Trumbull Avenue, and Anthony C. Johnson, 18, of the 3800 block of West 13th St., were charged with four counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking.

The two juveniles, 15 and 17, both of the 1400 block of South Hamlin Street, were each charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking and one count of attempted armed robbery, according to a police press release.

Police Sgt. Dave Jacobson said Oak Park police worked with Chicago police to track down the suspects.

Meanwhile, one of two victims of the crime has spoken publicly about getting carjacked. Wednesday Journal is withholding his and his wife's identity for their own safety.

The 71-year-old victim said he and his wife, 67, were finishing cleaning their car in the alley behind his home at around 4 p.m. on April 7, when he spotted four young men headed their way.

"We had just finished and [his wife] was putting our effects into the garage side door," the victim said in an email. "I was waiting for them to pass so I could pull over and back into the north bay of my garage.

"One tried to pull open my door, which I pulled closed and then he pulled out what looked like a Colt .45 and pointed it at my head and told me to 'get out.' I got out and he immediately slid into the driver's seat. The other three jumped into the car and it sped off."

The victim said in a telephone interview that one of the four also pointed a gun at his wife and said, "I'll get you."

He said they called 911 and a squad car picked them up for an interview at the police station, when a call came in reporting that four people had been apprehended in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago in a dead end alley in the 300 block of North Parkside Avenue. The carjackers were apprehended after fleeing the vehicle, according to police.

Both victims were taken to the scene where they reportedly positively identified the suspects as the offenders. The victim said the two weapons used in the carjacking were found in the vehicle, but police would not confirm that the weapons had been recovered.

The victim told Wednesday Journal that he's lived on the block 43 years and that he has never seen a serious crime like the one he experienced Thursday.

"This is a bit unnerving, but I feel more angry than violated and am pouring that anger into helping the police and writing this," he said in the email. "It could have had a worse outcome if I had resisted, but when there is a gun pointed at your head, you think sense."

Police Chief Rick Tanksley praised the victims for quickly reporting the crime.

"This couple did everything right," Tanksley said in the press release. "They didn't panic, they didn't resist and they immediately called 911. They also made it a point to retain details about their assailants that made it easy for them to make a positive identification. I think everyone can learn a lesson from how the victims handled themselves."

Peters and Johnson are being held at Cook County Jail with bonds set at $250,000. There were due in court on April 12 at the Maybrook courthouse in Maywood. The juveniles were transported to Cook County secure juvenile detention center, according to police.

Contact:
Email: tim@oakpark.com

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Brian Slowiak

Posted: April 12th, 2016 9:18 PM

@ James Peters: They could be part of the Barrington Bangers (Lacrosse team) or the Willimette Wonder Warriors, or Kenilworth Klobbers.They wear Polo shirts muted mauve in color so the cops cant distinguish their tailors,khakis,Gucci loafers with two cell phones exposed to the world off their Giovanni belts. The false bravado in their walk, trying to impress the wait staff with their bravado. Big tippers on their daddies gold cards. The words, My trustfund would dominate their dialog. Oak Park has been terrorized for decades by these North Shore gang bangers parking badly and engaging in conversation about Faust.

James Peters from Oak Park

Posted: April 12th, 2016 4:43 PM

@Tobi-Velicia Johnson. The photos currently with this article were not posted when I made my comment, so my comment was not directed to those photos which I had not seen. Since you asked, here's the "West Side" look: Pants worn about thigh-high with underwear showing. In the summer, all wearing plain white T-shirts (keeps the cops from identifying their gang affiliation). There would be a false bravado to their walk, like they're each trying to impress the others with how tough they are. They would be talk "tough" and loudly. Some variation of the word "m****rf*** would dominate their dialog. Seeing that, I've dialed 911 and have my finger on the send button.

Mark Johnson

Posted: April 12th, 2016 2:00 PM

So how does Oak Park remain "a relatively safe place" when someone has a large caliber gun pointed at their head by some thugs?

Alex Garcia

Posted: April 12th, 2016 1:49 PM

Check out the indignant expressions on the perps' faces. They...do...not..care. They also probably realize that they'll be freed by our revolving-door court system in a matter of days or weeks.

Chris Williams

Posted: April 11th, 2016 3:53 PM

Great work OPPD. We appreciate it.

James Hall

Posted: April 11th, 2016 3:12 PM

Hey Tobi. I wonder what the police lineup looked like

Tobi-Velicia Johnson

Posted: April 11th, 2016 11:50 AM

@James Peters--How do you determine that they "look like they are from the West Side"?

Michael D. McCormick from Oak ark

Posted: April 9th, 2016 3:40 PM

The village is becoming West Austin. Wake up, Oak Park

James Peters from OakPark

Posted: April 9th, 2016 3:27 PM

If I see four young men who look like they are from the West Side walking in Oak Park, I've already dialed 911, and my finger is hovering on the "send" button. The pattern of crime cited here looks a lot like a gang initiation.

Roxann Lopez from Oak Park

Posted: April 9th, 2016 12:25 PM

Glad to see this crime solved so quickly. Now if the youth who pulled off the carjacking in South East Oak Park could be found.

Mark Graham from Oak Park

Posted: April 9th, 2016 9:02 AM

This is the third armed car jacking in the same general area since last August. These apparently are no longer infrequent or rare in north Oak Park.

Makalya Campbell from Oak Park

Posted: April 9th, 2016 8:30 AM

The Trustees need to wake up from their slumber and look at the number of seasoned police personnel who have quit working for the Village under scary Cara. We are getting reports of these types of crimes on a regular basis. We don't have the force we used to - men and women who trained and grew up in their careers here and who really understand policing in this city.

Eric Brightfield

Posted: April 9th, 2016 12:55 AM

As shocking it is to read of a crime like this in the historic district. The same thing happened to me in the 500 block of Grove in 2004 and I was so impressed and grateful for the unbelievable " Jack Bauer" type Oak Park police response. Within 55 seconds of reporting; my house was surrounded by no less than six undercover vehicles and they caught the three young men immediately who actually got 15 years because they threw the dice but their public defender did not expect the thoroughness of the OPPD to prove their guilt beyond a doubt

Judith Alexander from Oak Park

Posted: April 8th, 2016 5:02 PM

On behalf of the North Ave. Neighbors Association, a big thank you to the victims for having the courage to report the crime and identify the suspects, and to the police for their work. Oak Park remains a relatively safe place because of people like you.

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2018

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.

MultimediaContact us