I am John Bokum and I am running for a seat on the OPRFHS District 200 School Board. My wife and I have lived in Oak Park for over 34 years. Our four children attended Lincoln School, Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School, Oak Park River Forest High School and The Cove School for Children with severe learning disabilities in Northbrook. I am an Oak Park River Forest Rotary Club member and currently serving on the Board of Directors. I also serve as the FRG Liaison (Family Readiness Group ) of the Illinois National Guard 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Unit, Crestwood.
Many of you may remember and may have voted for me (2,800 plus votes) two years ago when I first ran for District # 200 School Board and lost. As you can see I didn't just pack it in and fade away. I continued to represent you, the voters of Oak Park and River Forest as your Community Watchdog at monthly District #200 School Board meetings (having attended more than 50 plus meetings during the past five years). I have been outspoken on critical issues at both Board Meetings and OPRFHS Board Forums. Some of the issues have included; School Board TIF Lawsuit with the Village of Oak Park, the move to close the OPRFHS Campus, working closely with all stakeholders in developing a strong comprehensive "Strategic Plan" for the OPRFHS that we all can be proud of, negotiate a fair and equitable new Teacher Contract placing all issues on the table, address the issue of the yearly Real Estate Tax Levy by saying "No" and finding other ways to address the financial issues of the High School and supporting fiscally and working diligently with the "Collaboration for Early Childhood Development and Education.
I ask for your vote on Tuesday April 9th because I stand for the following:
- Knowledge; having attended and spoken out during over 50 plus meetings during the past five years.
- Commitment; carrying out and implementing the Goals and Visions of the new Strategic Plan.
- Dedication; work on bringing back OPRFHS as a top ten High School in Illinois.
- Direction: not being afraid to think outside the box when it comes to raising our educational standards
- Communication; being able to bring together the synergies of all three School Districts for one common goal, the students.
- Leadership; Proven leadership qualities both in and outside our valued communities.
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|