Dominican University student charged in drug bust

Marks the first time meth and heroin have been found by school security

By Devin Rose

For the first time in the school's history, a Dominican University student was charged last month with possession of methamphetamine and heroin after police found the substances in his dorm room.

"It's the first time we've had any reports of either of those," said Joel Nayder, assistant manager of campus safety and security.

Police were dispatched to the Power Hall dorm room of 20-year-old Marcin Sip of Chicago on Feb. 6, according to River Forest Deputy Police Chief Craig Rutz. University staff called police after they smelled marijuana coming from Sip's room. When security arrived, the windows were open, Rutz said. Sip became agitated and wanted to remove a garbage bag from the room. Security called River Forest police, and Sip admitted to them that he threw a box out of the window, which they recovered on the ground.

Police opened the box and found a substance that appeared to be marijuana and small bags containing pills, powder and syringes. The powder was identified as heroin and methamphetamine, Rutz said. There were other prescription pills and 16 grams of marijuana.

Sip was charged with four felonies: possession of less than five grams of methamphetamine, manufacture or delivery of less than 10 grams of heroin, and two charges of possession of a controlled substance. He was also charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

Rutz said he didn't think the incident was part of a larger drug operation at the school, where students are generally not part of the drug culture. But "I'm sure it goes on," he said.

Nayder said no reports of either methamphetamine or heroin have been made to security since that incident.

Anna from Norridge

Posted: November 29th, 2012 1:00 PM

Bill - yes, he overdosed, but why put that information out there? This is such a loss, if you ever experienced losing a loved one to an addiction, you know what it's like and what the family is going through. How about showing some sympathy/empathy?

mjt

Posted: November 29th, 2012 11:59 AM

I remember marcin telling me this happened... he was very distraught... he was so smart but once you get addicted that's it... he once railed morphine off my table... I just shook my head... rip marcin

Brian Slowiak from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2012 5:08 AM

Sorry Jimmy, you mistake pity for ignorance and waste.

Jimmy Gwarnicki from chicago

Posted: November 29th, 2012 2:40 AM

All of these comments are based off ignorant statements categorizing this family friend of mine under all the rest of those junkies..little do you know this individual had a gifted mind that landed him in harvard at the age of 17.

Brian Slowiak from Oak Park

Posted: November 26th, 2012 10:19 PM

I seen the needle and the damage done, a little part of it everyone, and every junkies like a setting sun

Bill from Chicago

Posted: November 26th, 2012 6:38 PM

Guess the bust wasn't enough. Sip O.D.'ed this past weekend.

Op Rez

Posted: April 12th, 2012 10:03 PM

Wait, you guys didn't give us any time to comment before you accusations... "man those Dominican students and their meth and heroin..." feel better now that the double standard has been lifted?

Double Standard

Posted: April 12th, 2012 4:44 PM

NO_ONE_SPECIAL you are so right. If fictional Leroy Jackson was even walking past Dominican with a hoodie on the police would have been called. The comments section would be full of horribly racist remarks. Maybe everyone is at work.

Bud from River Forest

Posted: April 4th, 2012 11:01 AM

I didn't know Dominican got so sent off, I used to party at those dorms all the time in my meth days and I never even saw security.

NO_ONE_SPECIAL

Posted: April 4th, 2012 9:59 AM

I see now that the shoe is on the other foot no one wants to make any comments at all, let this had been (LEROY JACKSON) this post would be full of comments,but now my comment is the only one here WOOOOOWWWWWW! I say throw the book at him now!!!

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad