Two men shot near West Suburban Hospital Monday afternoon

Multiple shots fired from passing car; victims in stable condition

By Jean Lotus

Two Chicago men were shot by occupants of a passing vehicle Monday afternoon in Austin near West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park. They were taken to John H. Stroger Hospital in Chicago and were determined to be in stable condition, police said.

The men, ages 20 and 24, were standing on the street in the 5900 block of W. Erie street around 4:37 p.m., according to the Chicago Police Department's Office of News Affairs. A vehicle drove past and unknown offenders fired multiple shots at the victims, police said.

The 20-year-old sustained wounds to the neck, while the 24-year-old was hit in the abdomen, according to police.

Violet Aura

Posted: March 26th, 2013 5:41 PM

@ OP Guy: I know. I grew up very close to the Austin border and I think about that magic line that seems to exist...

Jean

Posted: March 26th, 2013 3:08 PM

I grew up on the 5800 block of Erie. Thomas Wolfe got it right: you can't go home again.

OP guy

Posted: March 26th, 2013 2:40 PM

It's amazing how a few blocks can mean the difference between a war zone and an affluent community. Very, very strange.

Chris from Oak Park

Posted: March 26th, 2013 1:06 PM

My understanding is Stroger is best ER for gunshot victims. In my volunteer work with the nonprofit group Moms Demand Action/Chicago chapter (we advocate for common sense gun law reforms), I met a Stroger pediatrician. What she and her colleagues have seen, just the volume of carnage from gunfire, is downright shocking.

joe from south oak park

Posted: March 26th, 2013 11:43 AM

* correction. Just because an ER is the closest to the area where an injury occurs, it doesn't mean that you are going there when the ambulance picks you up.

joe from south oak park

Posted: March 26th, 2013 11:41 AM

I don't believe that West Sub is a trauma center. Also they may have been on bypass at the time. Just because an ER is the closest to the area that you are going to go there when picked up by an ambulance.

Where

Posted: March 26th, 2013 11:28 AM

Taken to John Stroger Hospital? Am I missing something?