The best candidate for the District 200 school board I've seen in over 25 years of living in Oak Park, as a parent of three high school graduates and many years of volunteer work in D200 and District 97 is Steve Gevinson. Simply put, as a teacher for over 30 years and as former head of the English Division, Steve can bring invaluable insight and experience to the board.
Why vote for Steve? Among other reasons:
- His unique understanding that financial health, addressing equity issues and maintaining academic excellence are interrelated;
- His service on the Board Finance Advisory Committee;
- His chairing the faculty negotiations subcommittee in bargaining the first union contract in 1999;
- As English Division Head, his hiring of outstanding minority teachers; and
- His leadership in helping to organize the district's last strategic planning process.
It seems to me that in educating young people, what matters above all else is what happens when the classroom door closes and the teaching begins. Steve knows how to make that magic take place.
Each school board election is important, this election critically so. I want someone on the D200 school board who can add experience and wisdom to its deliberations and hit the ground running. The success of the high school is critical to the prosperity of the communities it serves. With Steve Gevinson on its board, the high school would be in very good hands and so would we all.
Lance D. Taylor