Kevin Hanley withdraws from River Forest trustee race

Longtime resident cites personal conflict with Cathy Adduci

Updated:

Show/Hide Gallery

By Anna Lothson

River Forest voters will have the chance to select five people for three spots for village trustee, but a decision last week by one candidate has left constituents with a unique dilemma.

If elected, Kevin Hanley will resign.

Hanley, one of the candidates running on the Pride in River Forest slate, announced March 20 that he's pulling his name for consideration for the April 9 village election, citing a personal conflict with Cathy Adduci, who is running as an independent for president.

Hanley tried officially to remove his name from the ballot, but the date for that has passed. This means he has the potential to still be elected. If elected, he said he won't serve, regardless of which candidate wins.

"Last week Cathy Adduci told me a lie, and it almost cost me a close, personal friendship in the village," Hanley told a crowd at a recent campaign event. "The possibility of working with Adduci and taking time away from my family and knowing I ever could never trust her is not the right thing for the residents."

"This has shaken me to the core and I have been wrestling with this decision since I learned of her actions," he added. "I cannot associate myself with her, and I don't know when she would be telling the truth or when she wouldn't be."

In a follow up interview with Hanley, he didn't explain details of the alleged lie but explained the situation.

"Cathy called me last week in response to my response to an email from (independent Trustee candidate) Tom Cargie. We talked for a long time about many things. But she told me two stories that I verified were untrue," he said. The two stories were about people involved in local issues, Hanley said.

Hanley's response to that email, which also ran as a One View in the March 20 issue of Wednesday Journal, said that Cargie sent a "widely distributed email alleging the village has been less than transparent, citing the approval process of the village's red light cameras."

In 2009, lobbyist Al Ronan, to whom Adduci is legally married, represented RedSpeed Illinois, one of the bidders in the red light camera contract. The board voted to go with another company and Adduci abstained from voting at the meeting.

In a phone interview with Wednesday Journal on Thursday morning, Adduci said she was unaware of the lie Hanley referenced.

"I'm in shock. I don't know what he's referring to," she said. "I am disturbed by the whole thing."

Adduci and Hanley spoke the week prior and Adduci said there was no mention at that time of his possible resignation or of the lies she allegedly told him.

Adduci said Hanley has been sending out campaign-related emails, where he called her out for lying, but she says she doesn't know what he's talking about. She said the only thing she did accuse him of was not writing op-ed piece that carried his name in the March 20 Wednesday Journal. The op-ed piece was also disseminated via email. Other than that, Adduci said she isn't sure what Hanley might be referring to.

"I've never sent a negative email. I've never said anything negative to anyone. I am disappointed that there are these innuendos going on," Adduci said.

Adduci also said she's confused about his decision to resign, since she might not be elected president.

"If you read the email, it says that he can't work with me as if I have won the election, when it is three weeks away," Adduci said. "What does he know that I don't know? Something is up and it's not right. I think it's bad policy. I've never said anything negative. …I am just shocked."

In a phone interview March 21 with presidential candidate Mike Gibbs, who heads the Pride in River Forest slate, he said the debate stemmed from a call that Adduci got from a friend of Hanley's about the op-ed email, which also appeared in Wednesday Journal.

Hanley and Adduci discussed the email and disputed issues about it, Gibbs said. He said he hasn't spoken personally to Adduci about the conversations.

"How do I argue with someone's opinion," Gibbs added.

Gibbs said he discussed the matter with Hanley and encouraged him to stay in the race, but Hanley said the best decision was to resign now.

"This would be all cleared if [Hanley's friend] came forward. The voters have to make a decision. … Did Kevin or Cathy lie? I know what Kevin said and I know what Cathy is saying now. Three people know truth. I'm pretty comfortable it will leave Kevin with being the honest one."

Gibbs said Hanley didn't want to win election and possibly have to serve with Adduci, since he said he could no longer "know when she was telling the truth." To avoid the chance of Adduci appointing someone to fill a vacant seat, Hanley decided to bow out now so voters would pick three other candidates. That way, the choice would remain up to the residents.

In the end, Gibbs said this issue isn't about his campaign or Hanley. It's about River Forest, he said, which he said would be better served if Hanley was a trustee.

"Kevin's integrity is really the variable," he said. "Not a lot of people would put their own reputation on the line to show their displeasure with a candidate."

Gibbs said this situation is uncommon but "speaks volumes" about what level he believes Adduci is sinking to win votes.

Despite being on opposing sides, Hanley said there hadn't been any conflicts until recently.

"We had had a mutual respect. … I understand it is more of a he said-she said. But there is a 50-50 chance that we could both be elected, and I don't want what happened on the [River Forest village] board four years ago to repeat."

The Pride in River Forest slate also includes trustee candidates Lissa Druss Christman and Tom Dwyer Jr.

"I don't want to be elected then need to resign because of a lack of trust. It's just not fair to River Forest residents," he said. "My skin is not thick enough. I feel like I'm letting my team down. I believe [the slate's candidates] would be the best choices."

"I'm trying to do what's right for residents," he said, saying he hopes voters will vote for those who still want to run. "I'm hoping I'm not [elected]," he said.

Steinke called after Hanley announcement

River Forest village trustee candidate Roma Steinke, who is running as an independent, said she was contacted March 20 by presidential candidate Mike Gibbs, asking her if he could offer his support for her campaign.

The call, she said, came just before an email was released, announcing that Kevin Hanley — a member of Gibbs' Pride in River Forest slate — was resigning from the trustee race.

Steinke, who is supporting independent presidential candidate Cathy Adduci, said she was puzzled and insisted she did not want to be part of the slate. Although she welcomed the support, Steinke said she did not want to be part of the Gibbs slate, since she chose to run as an independent.

Steinke said she told Gibbs it was OK for him to recommend her name as someone who was a good candidate, but she did not want to be attached to Gibbs' slate.

"I said I was running as an independent. It was very strange," Steinke said. "I told Mike I didn't understand why he was calling."

Gibbs said he was calling her simply because she is the village clerk and he wanted to inform her of Hanley's decision. He said he wanted to know if it was OK to offer his support in case he was asked the question who he would like to fill the third trustee spot, since Hanley was resigning. Gibbs said he wasn't asking her to join the slate.

Steinke said she is voting for Adduci because she is a better leader and more qualified. Steinke said she also didn't understand why Hanley resigned, and called the situation "bizarre." She said among the Pride in River Forest slate, she thought Hanley was the best qualified to be a trustee.

After learning of Steinke's comments, Gibbs said he wanted the third trustee candidate to be whomever the voters decide is best for the seat.

Slate hires consultant for polling

In an attempt to learn what voters care about, the Pride in River Forest slate called upon a private consulting firm to conduct phone polling.

The slate includes presidential candidate Mike Gibbs and trustee candidates Lissa Druss Christman and Tom Dwyer Jr.

Gibbs said in an interview last week that the phone poll provided no conclusive evidence for the group. He said the survey only provided an indecisive report from a small unrepresentative sample.

The group decided to tap into the new technology to see if they could reach more voters but the results didn't yield any benefits, Gibbs said.

Contact:
Email: anna@oakpark.com Twitter: @AnnaLothson

RF Achievement

Posted: March 29th, 2013 7:54 AM

Please have a Happy Easter Weekend

Ned the head Ryerson from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 25th, 2013 11:52 PM

Hey, Joey from RoFo, and not from FroYo, you probably should have the Caps button on your keyboard fixed at some time.

Joey fom RoFo

Posted: March 25th, 2013 9:23 PM

HeY nEd u and I need to meet up so I can show u some Manners. Mr Rogers is an ole friend & do not like ur use of his words.

Ned Ryerson from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 25th, 2013 9:04 PM

So, Ron Steele Jr. from River Forest; your position is that you are happy to be rude to people you don't know, or have positions that require they cannot self identify, but still have opinions; but face to face, you will be diplomatic? Well, aren't you special?

Ron Steele Jr. from RF

Posted: March 25th, 2013 7:53 PM

Hi Ned, I will defend real people against "anonymous'" people's inflammatory comments any day of the week. It just seems like the right thing to do. Now, if any "anonymous'" folk want to come out from behind the curtain and reveal themselves to all of us, I will apologize to them for my previous descriptors, and offer to them a respectful dialog, debate and discourse. The kind of conversation real people, using real names, deserve.

Ned Ryerson from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 25th, 2013 6:57 PM

But, Ron Steele jr. from River Forest is not above calling people names, at least.

curt brown in River Forest from river forest

Posted: March 25th, 2013 6:47 PM

Thanks to Ron Steele and Tom Cargie I do enjoy using the new bocce courts.

Ron Steele jr. from RF

Posted: March 25th, 2013 4:43 PM

P.S if anyone wants to talk about the $44k Lake Street Bocce Ball courts using their real identity you can talk to me. I voted for it when I sat on the park board with Tom Cargie. On that note, Cargie, Roma and Aducci have my complete support. They are decent, well-intentioned residents of RF with legitimate experience who don't need to fool around in the mud to win or gain attention.

Ron Steele Jr. from RF

Posted: March 25th, 2013 4:42 PM

The anonymous comments found here are contemptible and creepy. This form of "communication" will not help them "Recruit residents to join existing village committees" or attract "untapped developers for TIF districts". Why would any decent RF resident want to associate themselves with such an insolent, venomously intolerant assemblage of local inhabitants claiming to have "Pride in RF" while they attack their neighbors in such a sleazy manner?

Ron Steele Jr. from RF

Posted: March 25th, 2013 4:41 PM

This is all the "Pride in RF" group has? Why? Because they have no genuine plan for RF residents. Only vague misspelled points and foul method of attack. Its shameful and ironic, because part of their campaign's focus's on "Opening new communication channels and enhancew technology to improve village services". Well, if the 3rd grade observations found in the comments here are an example of how they would do this, its fair to say they and their supporters completely lack in any "RF Pride".

Katie O'Malley

Posted: March 25th, 2013 10:34 AM

Rick Blaine- great connection. If you recall Paris appointed Adduci as Clerk. You people are ignorant. You ignore that Adduci lives in her $3.5m house because of Al and bid-rigging. Cargie wants transperecny. Ask him why he took the Park District e-mail list for his campaign and shared it w Adduci. Fiscal responsibility- $100k on a bocci ball court?? It is all very sad. Wake up and stop ignoring the facts. Stop your rantings and be smart for a change.

Truth

Posted: March 24th, 2013 10:26 PM

Hey know it alls, all you got is ripping Gibbs and Rigas? That's your come back? WAKE UP. Gibbs is a better choice unless you prefer Betty and Al Ronan and want us to be part of the next grand scandal, an Illinois tradition. Stop being low info voters.

Rick Blaine Americain

Posted: March 24th, 2013 10:06 PM

But of course, that was the day the RFP marched into Village Hall. Not an easy day to forget. I remember every detail. Rigas wore yellow Izod, Adduci red Garavani, and Gibbs - the arrogant smirk of self-importance.

Joey from RoFo

Posted: March 24th, 2013 8:21 PM

What is happening to Mr. Gibbs? We all know he was made by Mr. Rigas. The people see this tric just like they smelled the Home Rule smack down. I heard the numbers are lookin like 55 to 45 against him but trendin down for Mr. Gibbs

The real truth from River Forest

Posted: March 24th, 2013 8:10 PM

John Rigas didn't want to go to meetings anymore and he didn't want to have to deal with the little stuff. Thus, he decided that Mike Gibbs would be the perfect cypher. Gibbs would hold the job but Rigas would make all the decisions. The bad thing for Rigas is that Gibbs has demonstrated from the beginning his incompetence. Rigas is now desperate and so he drags the race to the bottom, forces Kevin Hanley to make up a transparently illogical argument. Sad really.

Truth2

Posted: March 24th, 2013 7:44 PM

@lissa, I mean truth....didn't Gibbs run with Adduci in 2009? What... didn't he know what was up or down....oops he is an elevator inspector not an operator!

No Ideas so Scare Em

Posted: March 24th, 2013 7:07 PM

It must b getting hot or something - hey where is the snow?

Rick Blaine Americain

Posted: March 24th, 2013 6:49 PM

We'll always have Paris.

Katie O'Malley

Posted: March 24th, 2013 6:05 PM

Adduci's life is filled w corruption. Lobbyist? Gov Ryan trial? Husband Al Ronan still strong arms the political operatives for his wife. Roma & Cargie know all of this. Cargie's more concerned with his DUI then doing his research on Adduci? Cargie drunk, reports car stolen, cops drive home. Cops find car where he parked it. Tries again to drive that night. States Atty to be held to a higher standard?Why ok? ALL ignored? Don't vote because she is supposedly female. Reverse discrimination is bad!

Rick Blaine Americain

Posted: March 24th, 2013 5:14 PM

If it's March 2013 in Casablanca, what time is it in River Forest? I'd bet they're asleep in River Forest. I'd bet they're asleep all over Cook County.

The truth

Posted: March 24th, 2013 3:53 PM

To all the know it alls on this board, ever think Hanley is actually telling the truth and Adduci not a trustworthy person? Come on. Her husband is one of Illinois most notorious characters. Google him. Al Ronan. Trust him? Sure and we'll be electing the next Betty Loren Maltese. Cargie too. The details of his recent DUI conviction certainly displays a character that is not someone you would elect to the board. Any board. Hey River Foresters, WAKE UP. We are not low info voters, are we?

Rick Blaine Americain

Posted: March 24th, 2013 1:03 PM

I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.

Charles - River Forest

Posted: March 24th, 2013 8:21 AM

@Alice, very interesting focus u picked up on. I reread the article. Yes, why would 1 say that - unless he did not want anything to do with running (win or lose). He wanted off - period - but also needed a reason to give his supporters. Looks like he no longer was focused on the "slate" & Mr. Gibbs. I guess this fits in with what I saw @ the Concordia forum & looking at Mr. Gibbs site. 2 + 2 did not add up. 2 use a sports analogy - the wheels are coming off the wagon. Make Sense or Not?

Alice Harra from River Forest

Posted: March 23rd, 2013 7:07 PM

To quote from this article, "Hanley said he tried to remove his name from the ballot but the date (had) passed...If elected, Hanley said he'll resign, regardless of which candidate wins." If Kevin does not believe in his own slate candidate for President, why should we?

Charles - River Forest

Posted: March 23rd, 2013 9:07 AM

Looked at Mr. Gibbs website after the forum at Concordia - to try and learn more. What stunned me was the total lack of anything on his vision or issues. Just some slogans. If this is all he has after 4 years thinking about running....Makes you wonder what he thinks people in RF are focused on. Really, are things that simple.

alex from river forest

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 9:21 PM

Just so everyone knows, You only have to vote for those candidates you support...not just vote for some "slate". Take the time to make you own choice, and make your vote count!

RF Achievement

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 8:11 PM

@John, while I appreciate your concern as a Gibbs supporter - can you please stop trying to scare folks. A President can not enrich themselves without the trustees being complicit. Remember as I know you are aware the President does not vote - only to break ties. Things will be just fine with Independents.

John from River Forest

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 5:25 PM

Cathy Adduci brings nothing to River Forest than than her own self-interest and anybody who knows Kevin Hanley also knows he is one of the most most morally upstanding people you will ever meet. Their pasts and records speak for themselves. Just wait until the next opportunity Adduci has to enrich herself though village office and the reason Hanley has the sense not to work with her becomes abundantly clear.

Julie Blankemeier from Oak Park

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 1:56 PM

Interesting development from my perspective. In my 4 year experience of serving on the D97 board, honesty was not a value. I was so shocked and disheartened by my experience that I have unfortunately become very cynical regarding local politics. If I could somehow know that a candidate would participate in public (and closed discussions) in an honest manner that person would definitely have my vote. Unfortunately in my experience there were only a few that proceeded in such a manner.

James from River Forest

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 11:45 AM

Why would Mr. Hanley soil his personal reputation in this village to make unsubstantiated accusations in an effort to get Mr. Gibbs elected? This whole slate thing and dirty politics do not belong here in River Forest. This is truly an embarrassment for our village. If the Slate wants to bring the town back to the way it was 30 years ago, then start by running a clean campaign and discussing the real issues this village has.

RF Achievement

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 11:08 AM

Who saw the candidate forum last night. We're there any clear distinctions about the individuals running? Any Great ideas for RF to be excited about?

Oak Parker

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 10:44 AM

glad we live in OP.

Kevin

Posted: March 22nd, 2013 1:58 AM

Something smells here...if Mr. Integrity really wanted to do something other than a PR stunt to help his sagging slate he would stay in the race, whether or not Ms. Adduci won. If she won he would be the independent voice. Methinks the Gibbs slate is circling the toilet and this is a stunt geared to revitalize the campaign. Oh, by the way, any of you calling Roma bad things does not know a thing about her. One of the best people I ever met.

Joseph

Posted: March 21st, 2013 10:47 PM

Looks like the PRIDE Plan team needs to revise their signs again! The first signs couldn't be read because the names were to small on them and now they need to change them again because Mr. Hanley has left the team. Seems like they need to rethink their "Campaign Promises" and make some new plans. Maybe the PRIDE Plan would get better backing in Oak Park.

Curious Voter from RF

Posted: March 21st, 2013 9:32 PM

All I can say is, its only Gibbs and his people whining and throwing the mud. Maybe for extra attention? They are good at that. Otherwise, if Gibbs can't control his slate, how will he lead the RF board. And by the way, at the candidate forum tonite, it was very clear to all in attendance {even the opposing candidates} that only Adduci, Carige and Roma had a clue about what they were talking about. They also were the only candidates who answered the question with an actual answer. Imagine That.

RF Achievement

Posted: March 21st, 2013 8:11 PM

@ Mr. Sullivan - I have to totally agree with your comments on this one. GROW up please on both sides. This is an election - and that is all. Stop, for the good of River Forest talking bad about your fellow River Forestor. Remember, think bigger than yourself. Talk about others - as you would like them talking about yourself. Also, RF has always been about debate. It is heathy. Elections are too often about popularity contests. Tonights debate is intersteing cuz they have to talk issues

Save our little village

Posted: March 21st, 2013 7:25 PM

The only "bizarre" thing about this story is how you could waste your credibility Ms. Steinke on behalf of Adducci. River Forest's reputation was finally fading into the past. Now you want to to risk us being known as Little Springfield? You might chose to ignore all of the associations, but others will not.

OP Resident

Posted: March 21st, 2013 6:42 PM

I am very pleased that RF is a idiotic as OP with regard to politics. See, OP is a teend setter!

Joey fro RF

Posted: March 21st, 2013 6:05 PM

Sounds to me like the guy got cold feet. This was only a matter of time. Oh btw the President does NOT have the votes of the Trustees - unless it is a Slate. We need independents and we need all village residents to Hold them accountable. Your responsibility does not END at the ballot box. Attend meetings and voice your opinions. This is a democracy. Lets Not turn this into MP where the Mayor controls ALL the Trustees. Why - because he always runs with a slate!

RF Deserves Better

Posted: March 21st, 2013 5:04 PM

Does Roma also support Cargie the states attorney who got arrested for DUI? I guess this "clear minds clear spirit" signs will have to changed to "do as we say, not as we do." The kids surely suspected the campaign was hypocritical and this is the proof.

LJ Hyde

Posted: March 21st, 2013 4:57 PM

Unfortunately, the information about the polling data cited in this exchange is incorrect - Gibbs numbers are not down.

Ned Ryerson from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 21st, 2013 4:34 PM

RF Polling Data? really. Everyone, get a grip.

Mike from RF

Posted: March 21st, 2013 3:49 PM

I read the comments, and here's what some say about the President Race: If you pick Cathy, you get the Mob; if you pick Gibbs, all the RF elevator condo buildings will have to pay Anderson tons of dough to upgrade. And then there's good ol' hayseed Lauber, who thinks if he vocally backs a winner, he will become Village Planner or get a nice, fat consulting job.

RF Achievement

Posted: March 21st, 2013 3:22 PM

RF Truth - Gibbs polling data show him down big time. Hanley looks for a way to save face as things are getting ugly and he can read the tea leaves - thus his story a out working on a Board with Adduci. Roma asked to save the sinking ship and rightly said no Really a non story - unless you are Gibbs, who is separate. The mud will now fly.

Elevator Man

Posted: March 21st, 2013 3:09 PM

Has any one googled Anderson Elevators on ....pretty scary. They want all the business in RF and they want the condo owners to do upgrades that is why they are putting their baby brother up for President. Did he ever graduate from College...we have never seen a resume on him???

LJ Hyde from River Forest

Posted: March 21st, 2013 3:05 PM

A good and honest man leaves the race; truly a sad day for all River Forest residents.

Curious Voter from RF

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:59 PM

All i can say is the Gibbs ticket and slate is a complete disaster now. In their "Who do you trust?" letter written by Dwyer they claim, "We all live in the village for the same reasons: great people, great schools and a great neighborhood to live your life." Making it sound inclusive while throwing dirt, unverifiable accusations and innuendo at their opponents, who are also RF residents with families. So, "Who do you trust?" an easy question now. Adduci, Roma and Cargie are a no brainier.

Gary M Sullivan from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:57 PM

Comment to Wake Up River Forest: I wonder what they pay their board members? I wonder if someone being considered to be a board member has to go thru some rigorous background checks. I do see your point on the names you mentioned and I too am suspicious-no Irish men or women-preposterous.Off with their heads.

Dan Lauber from River Forest

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:52 PM

I am impressed by the campaign of innuendo and lies coming form the Gibbs slate. I guess they don't care about issues because, as of today, their website has nothing about issues on it. Amazing. But they appear to ber pretty good a McCarthyism. Tail gunner Joe McCarthy would be mighty proud of them, as would Dick Nixon. Why can't the Gibbs' slate focus on issues instead of personal attacks? Surely they have positions to share.

Gary M Sullivan from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:44 PM

I guess my earlier email went over like a lead balloon. I take back the Happy Easter to those who are continuing to try and bring dirt into this contest. By the way if you don't put your name on the comment you are not from RF and your comment should be struck before it is posted. I guess you people don't have family members so you don't care what you say in print

Wake up RF

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:37 PM

Would someone please write the story that Cathy has her election account at and is a Director of the Belmont Bank in Chicago. Her co-directors are people like Jimmy DeLeo James Banks and Chris Stevens. Wake up before it is too late River Forest.

Say it Ain't So Roma

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:30 PM

Roma officially has gone over to the dark side. She has to know about Cathy's husband Al Ronan the future "First Gentleman of RF." Google him. Cathy herself testified in the Ryan trial. Is that what will make her a good "leader" for our little village Roma? RF risks being a punch-line in John Kass columns for some time to come. Roma you are a complete sell-out and not a voice for good government any longer.

Jackie

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:28 PM

Cargie? an independent? Hardly. It seems that Cargie is central to this little tryst and cannot be trusted either. Sounds like more behind the scenes dealing while demanding more transparency. Practice what you preach, Mr. Cargie.

Poll I. Ticks

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:24 PM

If Hanley if uncomfortable with liars, politics is definitely the wrong field for him.

Fred Fenster from LA

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:24 PM

Rumor: Was it the one about the h00ker with the dysentery? If so, that is not true

Gary M Sullivan from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:16 PM

Gosh darn it why can't everyone remember that first all are residents of RF, second they are hoping to be elected to voluntarily serve for the benefit of the residents and remember that win or lose do so with grace.No more bashing people b/c all have family members who may be hurt reading things about their parent,brother,sister,son or daughter. Happy Easter

Dan Lauber from River Forest

Posted: March 21st, 2013 2:15 PM

Of all the candidates in this election, Roma is the gem of the group. I fully understand her reluctence to be part of the slate put together by the ol' boys' network, a network whose insularity has long kept River Forest from being all that it can be. If this village is to continue the little bit of progress we've seen -- and achieve far more -- we need experienced, independent leaders like Roma Steinke, Cathy Adduci, and Tom Cargie on the village board.

WoW

Posted: March 21st, 2013 1:55 PM

Grow up. Both of you. Why would he resign if she doesn't win? This piece needs editing.