Parents fight to keep Mann School principal

District says upset is premature, with no decisions made

By La Risa Lynch

Contributing Reporter

Horace Mann Elementary School parents have launched an aggressive letter writing and social media campaign to save their principal's job.

But a District 97 official said the group's actions are premature since no decision has been made regarding Principal Sam LeDeaux's tenure at the school, 921 N. Kenilworth Ave.

"There is a lot of misinformation, rumor and speculation regarding his specific situation, but the board has not taken any formal action nor have they received a recommendation not just about his contract but any administrator contracts for the 2014-15 school year," said Chris Jasculca, D97's director of policy, planning and communications.

The Mann Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) has inundated District 97 headquarters with letters of support for LeDeaux to ensure his contract is renewed for next school year. According to the PTO's website, 65 support letters from teachers and parents have been sent to Superintendent Al Roberts. Also a Facebook fan page has started supporting LeDeaux and after only a few days has nearly 300 likes.

LeDeaux's contract expires at the end of this school year. He was appointed in May 2012 to replace Mann's then outgoing Principal Nimisha Kumar.

"We've started a letter of support campaign, sending letters to the district board to let them know we support him and want him to continue as our principal," said Maggie Kelly, Mann PTO co-president.

Kelly said there is a possibility that LeDeaux's contract may not be renewed, but that decision, she added rests with Roberts.

In a statement to Wednesday Journal, Roberts said he appreciated the feedback, but reiterated no decision has been made regarding personnel for next year.

"We anticipate we will complete this annual process in April, and will keep the community updated on the status of these efforts to the extent that we can in accordance with the law," Roberts said.

All principal contracts are up for renewal this year with the exception of the two middle schools, said Jasculca. As part of the process, administrators are evaluated on several factors including student test scores and a self-evaluation filled out by principals. Recommendations from the superintendent, Jasculca said, are then voted on by the board.

"The board has the ultimate authority by their vote regarding the contract status for any of our administrators for the following school year," he said. "For people to speculate that it is a done deal is just not accurate."

Kelly however expressed concerns about the evaluation process, which she said lacked transparency, parental and teacher input. She said sending the letters ensured parents' voices are heard and part of the process.

"We feel that part of the process is flawed. We wanted to make sure that our voices are heard," she said.

Kelly added the PTO got few answers after seeking a meeting with Roberts on March 6. Kelly said Roberts told the group that law prohibited him from discussing personnel decisions. She did note, however, that the principal evaluations are done by designees and not by Roberts.

"He did answer some of our questions and it did raise some other questions," Kelly said. The push to support LeDeaux stems in part from Kumar's resignation. Kumar resigned her post at Mann in June 2012 after a D97 investigation found that the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) was inappropriately administered by staff.

Kathleen O'Connor, a Mann parent, said many parents and teachers support LeDeaux.

"The staff at Mann was demoralized after what happened two years ago," O'Connor said.

The school had an "atmosphere of fear and negativity," but LeDeaux worked hard to bring people together "into a positive team."

"He had everybody on the same page," she said. He even inspired the staff to work over summer break when teachers don't get paid.

"If the kids are learning and the scores show that … then it's hard to understand what would … merit somebody losing their job," O'Connor said.

Horace Mann PTO Board Letter

This story has been update to indicate that all District 97 school principals contract are up for renewal this year. This story previously stated that all schools except two middle school principals contracts were up for renew.

Retired Teacher from Oak Park

Posted: March 16th, 2014 2:22 PM

I meant to say "@Res. of OP"

Retired Teacher from Oak Park

Posted: March 16th, 2014 2:21 PM

@Rex. of OP: I don't believe the superintendent/principal relationship is the same as "boss/employee". Principals have a certain amount of autonomy over their schools, I believe. Policies are set by the school board. The superintendent oversees all activities, but certainly is not the same as a "boss". I feel that Dr. Roberts is generally ineffective for a number of reasons.

OP Res 253 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 16th, 2014 11:26 AM

I do hope the Board follows their fiduciary obligation to resist "feverish influence". An effective leader, with the respect of the staff and support of the parents, would not incite, perpetuate or abide by the feverishness presented here. Makes me appreciate our principal, a man of talent, devotion, and most of all decorum, even more. Perhaps Mann should strive for a bit more of that in their leaders and themselves. Dear lord, ribbons? War victims, disease cures and Mann Mommies...

Res. of OP

Posted: March 16th, 2014 3:54 AM

Also an outsider, if I give orders to an employee & he doesn't follow for whatever reason he "thinks" is the right one. Guess what? He's fired! I have my company's best interest at heart. I read this is his 1st time as principal.You may give people a little authority & it gets to their head. It sounds like some have emotional issues with district leaders & not really fighting for the guy himself. I get a whiff that there is more complex reason for his employment being in question.

Retired Teacher from Oak Park

Posted: March 15th, 2014 11:03 PM

Even though I am totally out of this situation, I've seen it before: an inept superintendent orders his subordinate, a principal to do something the principal feels is not in the best interest of his or her school. Said principal gets in trouble for not obeying orders. I'm not saying this is the case here. I'm just saying it COULD be the case. I haven't talked to staff members and I'm out of the loop completely. I just get a whiff of what might be going on.

Grace M.

Posted: March 15th, 2014 9:28 PM

Most here snark & bash anonymously including yourself. Your principal gave supporters the ok for the ribbons, flyers, media, etc. he ok'd PTO to fight & bash the district and board. The evidence is clear that he cannot lead or make sound decisions. Any good leader can foresee this kind of ordeal leading to chaos & wouldn't let it happen in the first place. No one knows what he's done & it should not even matter. He let his parents get out of control. That's the only evidence we see here.

Supporter

Posted: March 15th, 2014 4:34 PM

Sorry, but when a conversation devolves into anonymous snarking about the man's choice of Halloween costume (which no doubt had the kids in stitches), I can no longer take any of the negative voices seriously. You have a problem with the principal? Stick to substantive evidence of why he's not doing a good job.

Much worse than lights

Posted: March 15th, 2014 8:43 AM

A principal who mixes his personal & professional with some teachers & parents is unacceptable. He shouldn't be in charge. He's gossips to some teachers, staff & parents about d97 matters & openly detests his superiors. I dont know what their staff job functions include anymore. Unbecoming behavior? Absolutely! I do recall that ridiculous costume he wore. Somehow, I think his job is saved despite all neg publicity he created, which in my opinion speaks louder than the cute pictures they post.

Ned Ryerson from River Forest, Illinois

Posted: March 14th, 2014 7:55 PM

Such a reaction. its almost like someone wanted to erect lights at OPRF.

OP Parent

Posted: March 14th, 2014 6:35 PM

Regardless of your side, what I amazing is that the principal (as far as I know) has not made any effort to calm this circus down. Whatever the contract outcome is, the school has been damaged by the actions of the PTO Board and its Principal. Once again Mann school is divided, I hope those involved are happy.

momto1

Posted: March 14th, 2014 2:04 PM

@dadto4- But it also seems many at Mann feel that he hasn't done anything for Mann. And if we hire principals to run our schools, I certainly do not want a person who lacks smarts, let alone common sense to run my only child's school. This is the Halloween (baby) costume he wore recently. http://www.halloweenexpress.com/mommys-boy-costume-p-20922.html

dadto4

Posted: March 14th, 2014 12:48 PM

It seems many feel Mr. LeDeaux has performed well, if not perfectly, and continues to grow in his position. I had experience with him in one of his former positions and was impressed with his overall work. I can't make the same statement about Dr. Roberts. If the issue is that as a principal Mr. LeDeaux has ruffled some feathers, I don't have a problem with that. We hire principals, not superintendents, to run schools.

Inappropriate

Posted: March 14th, 2014 12:30 PM

To "We got your attn" - Not all attention is good. An embarrassing spectacle is the bad kind. Mr. LeDeaux's "supporters" have certainly upped the ante for him. If you can't coerce Dr. Roberts and the board into grudgingly renewing his contract (for now), you've made it very difficult for him to find another job. In a competitive market, you're making him very easy not to hire. Boards tend not to court controversy.

Uncle Ben from OK we get it ... Black Principal

Posted: March 14th, 2014 11:30 AM

Would a white principal get this attention? Does this assuage your white guilt? I do not hear any Black voices. I like the ribbons.

We got your attn

Posted: March 14th, 2014 11:19 AM

Ribbons do work.

Inappropriate

Posted: March 14th, 2014 10:53 AM

Ribbons around trees when a River Forest resident is killed selflessly serving our nation overseas is a moving tribute. Ribbons around trees because of a pending personnel change at one of Oak Park's schools is inappropriate, and embarrassing to many of us who live in the neighborhood. Let's recognize the orders-of-magnitude difference between these events, whether you support Mr. LeDeaux or not.

Current Mann Parent

Posted: March 13th, 2014 3:06 PM

I have met Sam and seen his leadership style firsthand and I am confident that he is the one to support in this...not Dr. Roberts. (I don't know Dr. Roberts from a hole in the wall, why would I support him?) LeDeaux is going places and I get why he has ruffled some feathers. But I also think on the whole he's doing an excellent job.

Former Mann Parent

Posted: March 13th, 2014 2:00 PM

Your support for Mr. LeDeaux is far below the faith shown in him by Dr. Roberts, who hired him for this job. That Roberts feels compelled to withdraw his support makes me suspect he knows something you don't. Do you know why Mr. LeDeaux is not being rehired (guessing doesn't count)? Dr. Roberts and Mr. LeDeaux both know. Dr. Roberts is prevented by law from saying. Mr. LeDeaux could say, but isn't. Make you think?

Mann Man

Posted: March 13th, 2014 12:20 PM

In our family's opinion, Mr. Sam LeDeaux is a great principal for Mann School. He's not perfect (a direct result of being human, no doubt), but he's got a really special thing going at Mann. The children and staff are responding positively and we feel it would be a shame to not have him back next year. Passionate people like Sam elicit passionate responses, both good and bad, as can be seen here. Peace.

mann Parent

Posted: March 13th, 2014 12:11 PM

@Accusations, Sam didn't ask for this? You are right, he orchestrated it! And those who are splitting hairs, there is a difference between the PTO Board and the only the PTO. Google it.

Crystal

Posted: March 13th, 2014 12:03 PM

@Mann mom, OP Res 253 is correct. I'm thankful she's sharing her knowledge w/us. Clearly, whoever started this campaign believed they would have unanimous support.theyfalsely represent other Mann parents even some PTO members. if they work so closely with the principal then they are the only people who can speak on behalf of their experience, but unless this man actually works as school principal, he can't possibly have such close interactions w/ other PTO members or parents

Mann mom

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:44 AM

@OP Res- what exactly is your point? Did you come on here expressly to insult the Mann PTO Board? That seems awfully unproductive to the conversation. You said you are on a PTO Board yourself, so you obviously know how tirelessly these folks work on behalf of our school.

OP Res 253 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:31 AM

No, they open with "the Horace Mann Elementary PTO is writing this letter", not the presidents, or some members. A school PTO is supposed to be made up of all Parents and Teachers, regardless of participation. They should have written "on behalf of a couple of hyper involved individuals".

Mann Parent

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:25 AM

Let's not split hairs. The PTO Board works very closely with Mr. LeDeaux and they have every right to voice their support of him. They didn't sign the letter "FROM ALL MANN PARENTS," they signed it from the Board, which is a very specific group of people. Obviously, parents who feel differently may voice their opinions too, and they are.

Letters from Oak Park

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:22 AM

The PTO is not represented other that some of the leaders represent themselves in the letter. Just as an outside observation, who is better write one or have insights to this than them? They are chosen and are probably the closest to the situation.

Accusations from Oak Park

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:20 AM

Sam did not ask for any of this, it's completely organic, it speaks to the fact a large contingent of Mann parents want him to stay. I would guess most of the time movements around an elementary school principal don't happen. I don't understand why there's a fight, it's people trying to voice support. Is that wrong?

OP Res253 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:17 AM

The "Mann School PTO" includes hundreds, I see two names. As a member of a local PTO executive board, we exercise great caution to not presume to speak for the PTO community. We didn't speak as a "school PTO" on the referendum. Because., WE CANNOT. And neither can Ms. Kelly & Barrett. They are coming off as either uppity leaders or the principal's dupes by doing so. I feel very empowered to point that out. Best wishes to you too!

Mann Mom

Posted: March 13th, 2014 11:02 AM

You can see clearly above that the letter is signed by the PTO Co-Presidents and Board; it does not presume to speak for all Mann parents. I hope that you feel empowered to voice your alternate opinion of Mr. LeDeaux, too. Best wishes.

OP Res 253 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:54 AM

And it is 100 percent inappropriate for anyone to send an opinion on such matters from "the School PTO". If the executive board, or individuals want to opine on policy, the can do so, but to speak for all Parents, Teachers and other stakeholders that comprise the PTO is an absolute abuse of power---and an outright lie.

OP Res 253 from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:52 AM

I.m not a Mann Parent, and have no opinion on Mr. LeDeaux except in that anyone that took action to precipitate such discord and divisiveness within an elementary community is not a force for good. The district is not a direct democracy, it is a representative one. We elect board members, who hire and oversee a superintendent. I'm not crazy about Roberts, but think about who, with any talent, would take a gander at these messages and come within 80 miles of this nut job community!

Yet another Mann parent from Oak Park

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:43 AM

group of demanding, controlling, self-serving people. Completely embarrassed to be part of the Mann community in all of this!

Yet another Mann parent from Oak Park

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:42 AM

@J. Lerner...Amen! Well said! To reiterate points that have already been made but come to mind: 1. what makes the Mann PTO or other Mann parents think they know all the facts? "LeDeaux always puts the kids first"??? NOT THE EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD! 2. If Mr. LeDeaux has something to say, he should quit using the PTO as his voice and speak up! 3. This circus created by the Mann PTO has done more harm than good for their "cause" and only perpetuates the idea that the Mann community is a (cont)

Another Mann Mom

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:32 AM

As soon as I can pick my jaw off the ground that they really just did that, I will get to work on finding a babysitter so I can be there.......

Mann Mom from OP

Posted: March 13th, 2014 10:21 AM

The school board just called a special meeting for 5:00 tonight. I'm sure that's because so many District 97 parents are available at that time with 7 hours notice.

christopher

Posted: March 13th, 2014 9:56 AM

Sorry, I was being glib. The PTO does a lot. the point is, its been suggested on this board that the PTO is like the Koch brothers or something. And that is not true, we are a community that things for ourselves, the PTO is hardly some conniving entity that pulls all the strings at Mann.

Crystal

Posted: March 13th, 2014 9:50 AM

@CJ- Your description of PTO moms is insulting don't you think? Many of us are engineers, doctors, lawyers & yes some of us are stay-at-home moms which commands the most important work in our lives-raising our children. We take work with our school very seriously and do more than sell Tshirts. I will say this, the only time I put up a ribbon, was for a fallen hero in our community & wouldn't otherwise. This is a consequence a situation like this could create for supporters & nonsupporters.

*@Christopher_Johnson77

Posted: March 13th, 2014 9:50 AM

Ok Christopher_Johnson77, you're just being mean now- Moms (and dads/family support) do a lot more than you'll ever give them credit for. Parents make or break if a school really does well, at home and with volunteering. This article's Comments have gone too far anyway- * * Be involved but don't bring others down, just a waste of time. * Create working suggestions and not insult left and right-it only distracts from the issues that need to be resolved. *

Mann Mustang

Posted: March 13th, 2014 9:38 AM

Agree w/ Christopher. My support of Mr. LeDeaux is not blind, I have seen the guy's work. Why would I blindly trust the superintendent is the question.

Madoff

Posted: March 13th, 2014 8:07 AM

Incredible how the khan and the Mann community blindly support this guy! Face it, D97 knows something we do not! Remember B. Madoff, he was loved and thought to be pushing the envelop until the world found out he was a FRAUD! Quote from nytimes "TO some, Bernard L. Madoff was an affable, charismatic man who moved comfortably among power brokers". Our Power brokers are the Mann PTO. Sound familiar?

J Lerner

Posted: March 13th, 2014 8:01 AM

agree to disagree. We're a passionate group of people that, regardless of how ugly things can get on here sometimes, generally respect and admire each other...at least that's my perspective. I just think the time has come on this issue to quiet the hundreds of other voices who are speaking out, even just for one night, and let Mr. LeDeaux have his chance to address the people who hold his fate in their hands. Win or lose, he'll at least have had his say publicly.

J Lerner

Posted: March 13th, 2014 7:56 AM

We've heard a lot the last couple of days about the corporate world and how things work. Now, I am not an expert by any means on the corporate world, but I assume that, in many cases, the person who should both be responsible and have the opportunity to make the case for his/her job is the one with the job on the line. I'm not telling parents to stop either supporting or trying to get rid of Mr. LeDeaux. One of the great things about this town is our ability to speak our minds and cont...

J Lerner

Posted: March 13th, 2014 7:53 AM

have been heard loud and clear the last couple weeks by anyone who hasn't been living in a hole in this town, including Roberts and the board. Instead, when we reach public comment, I want to see one person and one person alone at the board table making the case for renewal...Mr. LeDeaux. While the board isn't obligated to do it, they should relax the time limit rule for the guy and let him have his say. Let them hear from him directly about why he thinks he should be back next year. Cont...

J Lerner

Posted: March 13th, 2014 7:49 AM

We've heard a lot from parents on both sides of this issue on this thread. Both Mr. LeDeaux and the district have wisely avoided getting involved in the debate on here because, to be honest, that is a no win for either of them. However, here is what I would like to see on Tuesday night at the board meeting. Not 100 Mann families sitting in the crowd with signs and ribbons. Not endless public comment from people who love or hate the guy. Whether you believe it or not, I think those voices cont...

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: March 13th, 2014 12:41 AM

In this case, the way people respond to the news story is more the story than the news story....

parents...

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:17 PM

"Parents fight to keep Mann School principal" leads to parents fighting.

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:12 PM

a powerful position (Roberts) can override the will of hundreds with one recommendation. - The only way the community that supports LeDeaux can stop Roberts recommendation from going through is to exert influence on the board, so that is what they (we) are trying to do. - Not everyone at Mann would be devastated to see LeDeaux go; that's reasonable and to be expected at every institution. No one has 100% support. Some of the non-supporters have been very vocal here, and you've been heard.

parents...

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:09 PM

"Parents fight to keep Mann School principal" leads to parents fighting.

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:07 PM

Just about everything that can be said has been said. It would be nice if the next 300 posts weren't just some prejudicial remarks aimed at a community that just wants what's best for it's kids, but that's probably asking a lot. It's as if people who live a mile from the NW side of town have no one among the Mann community they consider their friend. Here are the facts as I see it: - Most parents, faculty and staff support LeDeaux, and are rightfully frustrated that a person in a (cont'd)

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:01 PM

@jokes - I think you're point is that LeDeaux is nowhere close to exhibiting any of these bad signs, and I would agree, although clearly there are some who feels he shows favoritism. That's bound to happen anywhere. @stumbled - feel free to stumble back out. I could say that I'm sure I have a better job and work harder than you which is why you choose to post childish insults, but since I'm not hiding behind a fake name and inpugning an entire community, I'll refrain from saying that.

Stumbled upon this hot topic

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:03 PM

Do Mann parents have jobs? I wanna be a Mann parent when I grow up

Parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:00 PM

@OP & @esq, If you read the long thread, it seems like there are many posts from @OP. I just read them. But again it's presumptuous that other people think you don't have a job. That's what Mann does, acts on presumptions. But it's our own fault. We do it to ourselves.

Why there are Lawyer jokes

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:54 PM

Warning Signs of a Poor Principal: http://www.greatschools.org/improvement/quality-teaching/5-what-to-do-when-there-is-a-problem-with-the-principal.gs If you've been around the last couple of years, Sam blows these points out of the water.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:46 PM

@ lawyer. are you stalking me?

Parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:41 PM

Parents, get a hold of yourselves. This is embarrassing. I hope you supporters and non supporters feel good about yourselves. I think everyone has made their point. Let's just see what happens and not become a comedy act for our community. Remember, we are parents.

Lawyer

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:40 PM

@OP. D97 can not be transparent because of state laws or else they will be sued for major bucks and the principal will not have to worry about work for at least the next 10 yrs. So stop with the transparency crap. Also, I seriously doubt you hold any kind of job, since you have been posting since early this morning. Therefore, I think you are likely a pee wee league trophy wife. Please stop attacking an accomplished superintendent and get a job! FYI, in any organization, you follow the rules!

Op parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:30 PM

You're probably use to throwing your money or the PTO money all the hard working parents contribute at Mann for useful causes at your discretion and your cronies. Did I hit a nerve with you? Please don't come after me. I'm trying to have an adult conversation with big child who can't get her way. This topic isn't worth my much needed sleep. I work hard at a place that helps our community and people in need. Please get good rest tonight. Good night

not a Mann parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:25 PM

There's no party like a Mannenfreude party cause a Mannenfreude party don't stop.

Full story

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:17 PM

@ ear to ground. Obviously we don't know the full story. I agree with others on the board; I cannot blindly support anyone with hearing both sides of the story. As I sure you know, this all started with the principal disclosing the non-renewal of his contract to the PTO. However, the "why" it was not renewed was never disclosed by the pto. I would happily tie a ribbon around my tree, car and dog, if we get the full story; but that will never happen

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:17 PM

There is no issue with Roberts. This is a serious adult conversation - business. Nothing personal - this is NOT high school - oh you dont like him. honey, I have worked with many people I dont like but are effective and fired people I loved. so please dont show your lack of maturity and get this twisted.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:13 PM

@ OP Mann. Why the nasty comment? Trying to have ration conversation and you go all crazy on me. Perhaps I hit a nerve by telling the TRUTH? Look honey, put your big girl underwear on and come join the adult conversation and discourse. Think all the baby talk has you confused. What do you know about the board? you cant even name anyone on it.

OP parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:10 PM

@ali really? Sounds like Chicago May be the place for you

Oak park parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:08 PM

@OP, stop your pouting. You have your own personal agenda against Roberts. You are just as arrogant as LeDeaux. You can't stand to have other people disagree with you. Let me guess you are part of the PTO and are use to everyone agreeing with you. You're just "Mean Girl." What about all other Mann parents who don't agree with you & pay the same taxes. He is only interested in himself. Dr. Roberts & the school Board have my full support & respect for all their accomplishments.

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:04 PM

OP...you said LeDeaux has been on the the job less than a year. False. Maybe facts are not your strong suit.

Ali

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:02 PM

For all who feel frustrated by the lack of transparency here (a sentiment I share), CPS has an interesting model in which local school councils hire and renew principals. LSCs are elected by the school community and include 6 parents, 3 community members, 2 teachers and 1 staff who is not a teacher. Now, obviously CPS has its own issues, but seems like an interesting way to put power rightfully in the hands of the community (i.e., not administrators who've barely visited the school).

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:53 PM

@ Ali - thank you. OK it is 24 months not 18 concerned. Again, let me ask the question. If you heard of a church, a company, a civic organization with three leaders in 24 months, what comes to mind? it is a troubled organization - or what is wrong with the organization.

Ali

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:50 PM

Mr. LeDeaux actually began in summer 2012. So it's been less than two years. As J said, he's just getting started.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:47 PM

@ concerned. Sorry let me spell it out for you so you dont miss it. kumar left in april 2013 - that is one sam started in 2013 - thats is two replacement in 2014 - thats 3. Sorry just want to avoid your next silly questions.

Ali

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:46 PM

OP means that we would have a third principal since the 2011-12 school year if Mr. LeDeaux is replaced. OP, thank you for your voice of reason here; it's very much appreciated.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:44 PM

@ concerned. Perhaps math is not your strong suite. April 2013 Sam started and August of 2014 would be replacement (hopefully not). You comment shows how simple you are - if 18 0r 24 or 36 it is still bad...

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:39 PM

So OP, who was the third principle in 18 months? And where were you last year? This is LeDeaux's second year. Just stop with the misinformation, lapse in memory, or whatever you might call it.

Ear To The Ground from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:38 PM

Now, my personal opinion is we should have more transparency or ability to have a hand in this. This is our school, Roberts works for US. I can't stand egomaniacs that will act in spite vs. best interests of the community. A large part of this schools community pays a HUGE amount in taxes and are heavily involved, we expect and should all demand more transparency as well as a voice. This is ridiculous and unnecessary, unless there is some gross negligence that none of us are aware of.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:36 PM

As to heat the Board is taking, it is self inflicted. Somewhat aloof and heavyhanded. If you have the opportunity read the Board docs - they are filled with wonderful procedure/bylaws etc with little on innovation or radically improving the schools. The OP97 Board is a political board. Have you looked at OP performance over the last 5 years - sideways at best.

Ear To The Ground from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:34 PM

I'm very familiar with the situation. Sam is a strong leader and part of being a leader is making tough and sometimes unpopular decisions. We see it in business and politics all the time. Sam's mantra is always "does it help the kids" and he lives by that. When he feels that a decision/request from the Superintendent or others does not fulfill that, he doesn't do it. Someone like Roberts who is notoriously tough wants that person out. It's essentially his decision and it got out.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:21 PM

Perhaps some of the collective "over the topness" is driven by the lack of control and fear of the third principal in 18 months. As yourself, if you heard of a company with three CEO is 18 months - you would think it was troubled. So people are going off on the board - we can agree or disagree but hopefully we come up with the interest of the students first.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:10 PM

And allow parents some say OR not. In other words it is chance to change with the times (a world of more transpareny/acct.). To the second question, I am unsure why every parent thinks that a principal should spend time with in deep conversation - they have work to do - 500 kids etc. Kumar would - Sam does not. It is there style. Sam is capable, committed, smart and dedicated to doing the right thing. Is he perfect? No - who is.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:06 PM

My first response to the possible non renewal was suprise as he has been on the job less than a year and for the most part, the current course and speed has been well received. There are two seperate but related issues - should parents/stakeholders have some say in who there leader is and second is Sam the right person to lead. to the first, OP97 span of control is central - but parents feel like we are not part of the decisions - this will be an important test for the board - open up forever

7 year parent from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:01 PM

I'm a seven year Mann parent, and the Mann PTO didn't ask for my thoughts about the school's current leadership. They instead asked me to voice my support for it. That's presumptuous, and there seems to be a culture of presumption fostered at Mann. Mr. LeDeaux presumed that the PTO would support him, and now children are bringing signs to school and wrapping trees in ribbons. I'd replace two of the three; the third are simply doing as their parents ask, so it's a horseshoe hurray for them!

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:59 PM

@ former - agreed which is why having this discussion in a public forum is dangerous. There are governance issues - i.e. if board does not follow procedure and facts, they can (and in this case likely will) get sued (D/O insurance). There are employment law /contract issues regarding gray areas where board/orberts have to follow or open up to state/teacher union. Just to name a few - This is a situations where even if Sam wins he could lose - as his ability to go elsewhere may be limited -

J.Martin Konecki from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:47 PM

Mr. LeDeaux has my full support as our principal. He genuinely cares for the children, teachers, staff and parents. The buck stops with him with both good and bad. He is a stand up person that takes full responsibility for all that takes place under his watch. I believe his mission is not only to make each student smarter and excel, but to make each student a better human being. It is my assessment that he is just getting started with all the good things that will follow what he has already done

Former Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:33 PM

OP - It's not so much that the issues are complex as that I don't think anyone (besides LeDeaux, Roberts, and the board) even knows what the issues are. I'd want to know why someone was being let go before I tied a ribbon around a tree. Support is one thing, but blind support is a lot to ask.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 6:07 PM

We expect the principal to do what ever we want then penalize them for not being effective. I hope we learn from this and are little more grounded ... As someone who has worked closely with very successful and powerful people. my advice was to be discrete and hire great counsel. Matters like this cannot be handled in public forums- issues and subtlies are far too complex for many to understand or work thru.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 6:03 PM

This is classic game theory at this point. Board sends out long legal letter saying all the reasons they cant discuss - which tells us they have. Roberts already put the do not renew out there tacitly and the board is only group can override. They wont go against his recommendation which means Sam's fate is already set. The truth is we as Mann parents have a role in this - Kumar was too passive and now we hear Sam is to arrogant. We act like all of our children are gifted and the principal

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 5:36 PM

OP Parent, thank you so much for bringing much needed perspective to this issue. This is not a crisis of the tree ribbon sort. Nor is it a situation where our kids should be placed in the middle, handing out flyers at school. My fellow Mann parents need to realize that we are not the center of the universe, or even of District 97.

OP parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 4:39 PM

@Sup I can explain anything to my child. You don't know me, the issues & hard times my family is dealing with right now. I'm not sure if I can afford my home next yr. If this is your biggest obstacle right now, consider yourself blessed. It's impossible to hide this issue, when Mann PTO is all over it & inundates us with junk mail about using templates to address their own emotional concerns. PTO stated this in the junk mail.

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 4:28 PM

As parents we face those tough situations every day, don't we? My suggestion is simply that this is a school/community issue and it's virtually impossible to hide it from the children, who go to the school and live in the community, whether you appreciate the ribbons and signs or not. There are age-appropriate ways to discuss any difficult issue, this one included. I don't feel it's reasonable to ask people to not express themselves simply because you don't want to explain it to your child.

OP Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 4:17 PM

@Supporter, It's up to the parent to decide if they want to share their views. Other parents & teachers have taken the liberty to do so for our kids. I did the same thing & explained the unfortunate news about the missing flight b/c it was on my phone & deserves to be addressed. He was also curious about the Sinaloa cartel capo. Should I explain explain that too?

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:53 PM

Yes, and my kids saw on the news that a plane vanished into thin air. They don't grasp the complexity of that either, but it's something that has happened and as their parent it's my job to explain it as best I can. Whether you do or don't support Mr. LeDeaux, simply tell your children why you feel that way and have a dialogue about it. Again, great lessons to be learned on either side.

@ Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:45 PM

I am not a supporter, BUT, I am not advocating that his contract doesn't get renewed either. I would like to see his eval, not his support, not children art. I don't think kids are able to grasp & understand the complexity of the matter. My child is a bright 4th grader & she would just be supporting something all kids at Mann are being told to support just because it looks like a good cause. However, I do not agree with the local Barnum & Bailey show Mann parents are creating. Thank you Sam

Another Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:30 PM

Now would be a good time for Mr. LeDeaux to demonstrate leadership and try to rein this in. Orange ribbons and fliers are OTT. I support Mr. LeDeaux but I am disappointed in just about everyone involved in this whole mess.

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:28 PM

We can't shelter our kids from every difficult topic. How about, "There are some adults in our school community who feel Mr. LeDeaux is not doing a good job and believe we should have another principal." Lots of good lessons children can learn from this. If they feel he should stay and want to voice their opinion too, great!

How to use kids from oP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:22 PM

An excerpt from an email from my child's teacher: Today, we had an occurrence of students passing out flyers in support of Mr. LeDeaux at the very end of the school day. Students didn't have approval to pass out the flyers. Inadvertently, some students may have received a flyer and learned of Mr. LeDeaux's situation.

a Mann parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:20 PM

Personally, I like Sam and he seems to be doing a fine job. I think letters of support directed to the board are appropriate. Unfortunately, I think this campaign has gotten out of hand. How are we to keep our kids out of this if there are signs everywhere and ribbons handed out at the school? While I appreciate the enthusiasm of the PTO, at this point I fear the drama surrounding this could be more harmful to our kids than a possible change in administration.

Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:16 PM

@Todd, finally you have not been at the school long enough, or through enough controversies at the school to fully understand why people post anonymously.

Ali

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:15 PM

Mann Parent - please use your name if you're going to specifically refer to someone's children.

Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:10 PM

@Todd, your kids are in the 1st and 2nd grade, (not to be mean) it doesn't surprise me they don't know what is going on. What about the older grades? You are right "like" was the wrong term, just because you "follow" a page would have been the right word to use. Yes, kids were asked to write something positive about the school, BUT I was in the presence of PTO members asking to have the kids write about LeDeaux. I am not "mischaracterize the project", the PTO is taking advantage of it.

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:08 PM

Fair enough Todd. I had the impression that the results of the project were used to promote the "support Sam" campaign. I have no problem acknowledging my mistake.

Jelly

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:07 PM

Really impressed after checking out the links to the SIT team notes and PBIS blog another commentator posted below. D97 schools need to raise the bar and it looks like Mr. LeDeaux is a rare leader capable of engaging the community he is serving in that effort. I am a D97 parent (non-Mann) and would be over the moon to have a principal who could communicate, inspire and motivate students, parents and staff as Mr. LeDeaux seems to be doing. It is in such contrast to my D97 experience.

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:06 PM

Here's the title of the exhibition: M-Mann A-Appreciates R-Respectful, Responsible C-Compassionate H-Happy Students! Please invite your child to join in the fun and write a note, draw a picture or create a poem about something -- or someone-- you appreciate at Mann School! Anything you like-- your teachers, classes, playground, principal, or even lunchtime!

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:04 PM

It's March Madness at Mann! PBIS and Mann PTO invite all students to participate in a school-wide project! In the dark days of winter, let's look ahead to spring and good things like sunshine, flowers and outdoor recess! We are creating a special exhibition in the Gallery of Mann featuring our very own student artists and authors!

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 3:04 PM

@concerned and @mann parent: In the above two posts, I am posting the exact project sponsored by the PBIS team and PTO at Mann. Please explain how you interpret that to be "asking the kids to write letters that were used to promote your cause." I guess every kid saw "your principal" as the 4th suggestion and decided they needed to write something about Mr. LeDeaux so he could keep his position? Please stick to the facts, both sides.

todd kahn from oak park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:44 PM

@Incoming - I don't object to an anonymous opinion, although if your comment is constructive and well thought out, intelligent people will not judge you unfairly because you don't agree them. I support LeDeaux but I have no ill will towards those who don't want to hang a sign in their window. I do object to someone taking a shot at another poster and hiding behind a fake name, or spreading false information while doing the same. To each his own, I suppose. Welcome to Mann, btw :-)

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:43 PM

Incoming Mann Parent, you hit the nail on the head. Todd, if you asked the kids to write letters that were used to promote your cause, then you used the kids.

Incoming Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:36 PM

@TK I think its the parents right to withhold their identities non supporters and supporters alike. The school sounds very clicky & maybe they don't want to be looked down upon by other parents or maybe they want to respect the privacy of their children at Mann. If I was for or against, I wouldn't want to disclose my opinions or my experiences in public.

Todd Kahn from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:22 PM

I have two kids at Mann and they have no clue what's going on, which is the way it should be. My kids loved Mr. LeDeaux long before this issue came up. I also find it interesting how few people are afraid to use their real names here. If you are taking shots at people hiding behind a pseudonym, perhaps think about why you are doing that. At least the Facebook comments are all out in the open.

Todd Kahn from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:19 PM

@ Mann Parent - I respect your right to your opinion and if you don't like Mr. LeDeaux, that's fine by me. But your post is riddled with innacuracies: 1) You do not need to "like" a facebook page to see what's posted. A like means you agree with the spirit of the page's message 2) Students were asked to write something positive about THE SCHOOL, possibly including a teacher, staff member, or Mr. LeDeaux. Don't mischaracterize the project. The kids are not being used (cont'd above)

Former Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:14 PM

There's more to this than we know. I'm not criticizing Mr. Ledeaux; I don't know him. I do know that organizations tend not to randomly force out effective leaders. Roberts promoted LeDeaux to principal, so it reflects poorly on Roberts' judgment if he has to cut him loose so quickly. There is clearly information which the district can't share, Mr. LeDeaux isn't sharing, and the community doesn't know. Be careful of choosing sides before you know what the sides are.

Parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:08 PM

Those things do not qualify him as a good leader. The surface always looks different. Any child would be excited to do that. Even my kids, but I do not support him. He's green as has a lot more growing up and learning to do before he can lead. Sorry, that's my opinion.

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 2:05 PM

I have deliberately chosen not to get involved in this matter. I have reservations and frankly, I have other, more pressing things going on in my life. I have to choose my priorities very carefully. Now I have to explain to my kid why there will not be a ribbon on our tree. It would be easier to explain why we have a new principal. Thanks for the peer pressure.

bjlanning

Posted: March 12th, 2014 1:59 PM

He's a unique principal for D97: http://www.op97.org/sledeaux/ SIT http://www.op97.org/mann/School-Improvement-Team.cfm PBIS blog http://mannmustangspbis.blogspot.com

Another Mann parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 1:59 PM

Mann Parent: The staff and PTO are helping to foster a positive atmosphere at Mann and teaching kids to be appreciative of the fine education they're receiving. That's a GOOD thing! The kids in that K class were thrilled to write notes to Principal LeDeaux (I was there). It was an exercise in gratitude and there was absolutely no mention of his employment status.

bjlanning

Posted: March 12th, 2014 1:58 PM

What other principal in D97 does these sort of things? Parent Tech Nights before the rollout of iLearn97, no office days, Genius Hour http://www.geniushour.com/ Edcamp http://edcamp.org/what-is-edcamp/ Staff attending professional development physically or virtually as PlayDateDG58, EduCon 2.6, Illinois Computing Educators Conference (ICE) Using Twitter to connect educators to educators and students with students in other states.

Mann Parent from OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 1:35 PM

I see the orange ribbons around trees. Are people going to be asked to lower their flags to half staff? Just because someone "likes" a Facebook page does not make a supporter. Some may join to see what people are posting. As for keeping the kids out of it, a kindergarten class was asked to write letters to Mr. LeDeaux. Parents have been asked by the PTO to get the kids to write something positive about Mr. LeDeaux to pin to the bulletin board in the front entrance.

Former Mann Parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 12:35 PM

If Mr. LeDeaux and his supporters feel he is being treated unfairly, they would be wise to explain why. Contract renewal is not a rubber stamp. Performance is evaluated. The idea that Mr. LeDeaux is doing a wonderful job, but Roberts and the board have randomly decided to go through the process to replace his is a little naive. Employers don't typically fire effective employees for no reason. It's time consuming and expensive.

Jacek Lazarczyk from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: March 12th, 2014 12:35 PM

I count myself as a supporter, mostly because I know and respect the opinions of some of the parents that interacted with Mr. LeDeaux.I am afraid, however, that this campaign is moving toward appealing to emotions and away from reason. With window posters, orange ribbons, we are a step away from looking ridiculous. A little restraint, cool headedness and diplomacy might go a long way, in my opinion.

2nd gr parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 12:22 PM

I'm sorry, maybe not displayed from the time I left, but the newspaper is in the office on the table and there is a constant flow of students walking in & out waiting around, saying the pledge, etc. all day long. Its bound to catch a kid's attn., even a cute kindergartner. I think as adults & staff there, someone should remove them. Hopefully they're gone by now, but who knows. I didn't get a copy.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 12:12 PM

@2nd grd parent - When you say displayed, are we talking about on a bulletin board or hanging in the hallway, or are copies of the Journal on a table in the office?

2nd grd parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 12:01 PM

btw, I ran late this morning & walked my child into school. I now have explaining to do about the newspaper article being displayed for kids to see at school. That isn't something that we should have the kids focus on. In fact I think its a bit disruptive to their day and we don't need to worry our children. Speak to your kids if you like privately, but this is not something I want to the school or other parents discussing w/ my child. Don't use the children please.

@Give us a voice

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:56 AM

Dr. Roberts considers parent feedback when naming principals too. He did so in this case and at both middle schools. Let's not forget that Dr. Roberts had faith enough in Mr. LeDeaux to promote him from within. I am quite certain that he does not take the circumstances regarding his contract lightly. It would only behoove Dr. Roberts to have LeDeaux succeed...not have him go out in a sea of controversy. Common sense people.

2nd grd Parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:51 AM

Hey, I like LeDeaux as a person. I've never had much contact with him. But just from all the postings and actions at school this year. I don't think he is a capable principal. I do however think he would be a great teacher.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:50 AM

@Voice - Does CPS also allow parents to be part of the evaluation process? That seems to be what the Mann parents are asking for in this situation. I also enjoy the line in the letter from the PTO that they are "technically not aware of this information." As for you, OP, nice to see that when you can't provide all of this great evidence about moving the needle, you just resort to taking shots at people.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:46 AM

Point being? a small group launched this massive operation with LeDeaux blessing. Nothing wrong with that. But your reps are the ones who are not transparent. A little sneaky or snaky? Don't you think? Let the Bd decide and if they deem him fit, so be it. If not move on.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:40 AM

@OP - congrat on completing te cut and paste portion of your word training. Very signifcant achievement. Would you care to share with us less intelligent people any other point from you post? Of course it was meant to be discrete. The obivous escaped me - thanks for the reminder.

Give us a voice

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:40 AM

To the person writing as "@OP," it sounds like your family has a grievance with Mr LeDeaux. I hope that you will appear publicly at the D97 meeting March 18 and say as much. The problem is, it won't matter, and that is the point. We parents don't have a voice in this. I'm glad this situation has come to light bc I think it is pushing people to examine the system. CPS (tho not a perfect example!!) does consider parent feedback in naming principals.

@ everyone

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:38 AM

Should we continue? PArents didn't miraculously found out. He's a walking liability for Mann. I am appalled. You should look around and really get other parents stories who don't agree with you. They are not attn. seekers they just want peace.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:37 AM

@op - point being?

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:31 AM

PART III- We just feel he has complete backing by his staff ( they sent a letter to the district this am), and we do not need more disruption at Mann. We thought it may be helpful for you to see our letter to get an idea of our feelings about the work Mr. Ledeaux has done with the PTO. Also, please note, we are technically not aware of this information.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:29 AM

PART II- At this time, all principals contracts are in the renewal process and we just happened to find out our principal's employment may be at risk. With that being said, we are encouraging parents to send letters to the district in support of Sam.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:27 AM

Mann Parents were blindsided by this letter dated 2/28/14. I received this forward on 3/3/14.-- I just wanted to include you all in what's going on today at school. We found out yesterday that Principal Ledeaux's contract may not be renewed. It is not a done deal as you may think. The district 97 board has to approve it. Therefore, we have decided as a PTO board to lend our support and send the attached letter to the district 97 board and also to Dr. Roberts. PART 1

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:17 AM

And, judging by some of the other comments on this thread, it sounds like more than a few people have been less than thrilled with his performance to date.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:16 AM

Bottom line is people who matter (Mann customers) support him and the few he might have miffed off for not giving enought love, can never be won over.- I beg to differ. Please speak for yourself and do not try to impose your vies unto others. He leaked it whether it matters or NOT. He started all this. Now he wants to wash his hands and pretend he had nothing to do with it- okay? Not all Mann customers are satisfied. In fact, I want my $ back!

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:15 AM

@OP - Clearly, the only person who is naive on this issue is you. Multiple people basically say he leaked it, but you're looking for the mystery man or woman in the shadows. Sorry, but I question his honesty and integrity when it comes to this aspect of the discussion. In addition, you still haven't given any evidence of how he's "moving the needle" at Mann.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:05 AM

@ R Thompson. I cannot believe that you are that naive with rgeard to how social organizations work when positions of power are involved. It could have been someone who does not liek him, it could be someonw who likes him, it could be someone seeing it on a desk. How the f_ck knows. Bottom line is people who matter (Mann customers) support him and the few he might have miffed off for not giving enought love, can never be won over..

Posted: March 12th, 2014 11:04 AM

@Supporter - Well, then I would assume he's shared with you and the rest of his supporters the exact reasons why his contract might not be renewed. Are you able to shed some light on it for the rest of us?

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:56 AM

R Thompson, call him up or DM him and ask him yourself. He has nothing to hide, he would tell you as much. He'd like to keep his job, pretty simple. Those of us who agree that he should keep his job are satisfied that he is not acting in a duplicitous manner here. Otherwise we wouldn't be supporting him.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:48 AM

First, there are multiple people on this board who intimated that LeDeaux leaked it to save his job, including people who support them. Not really sure how that can be mistaken for this getting out via random gossip. Second, are you really foolish enough to believe that the reason he'd be let go is because he's not a "yes" man? Although, once again, he can prove that by showing his eval. Lastly, I ask again, how is he moving the needle?

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:40 AM

Who knows how it got out. OP are very gossipy and could have been an admin, someone from OP97 who leaked by mistake. Again, does not matter at this point. It is a concept called sunk cost - make decisions on best data going forward. Sorry, Sam is not an ass kisser - and we all know some parets expect that. But he has moved the needle and most people are happy (I am a Mann Parent of two) -

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:32 AM

@OP - In this case, outside of just saying his contract is renewed, what the "customers" want is an explanation regarding why he might not be brought back. That is a legal issue. However, if you're willing to allow your taxpayer money to be used for the lawsuits that might come as a result of sharing confidential information, then let's open up the personnel files. Of course, Mr. LeDeaux does have that option all on his own if he wants.

@OP@Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:27 AM

Again, Mann PTO is trying to speak as a representative for everyone at the school. Not every parent feels that he is fit. He's a good listener to a few parents and that's it. He likes to come off as a friend to a targeted group. He would never make it as a CEO & failing miserably at MAnn. He's done nothing but sit around & be a shrink to Mann PTO & tweet. I heard him in the hall one time saying "did you get the picture? Tweet it" i wouldn't miss him

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:27 AM

@OP - Once again, what are the achievements? What are the specific results? Also, I think it is legitimate to criticize him for his integrity in this situation when it is clear that he leaked information and then denies he ever did it. Again, tough for people to take the board and Roberts to task on transparency and honesty when LeDeaux is not held to the same standard.

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:26 AM

And why am I willing to fight for him? Because I sincerely believe he's doing great things for our kids and our school.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:25 AM

@ fail. Exactly the point - people should hollar when something seems wrong. Yes from legal side it is HR but from pleasing your customer/govenance/ how our tax dollars are being spent it is more...

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:24 AM

I have not personally seen any evidence of him telling people different things. But obviously he has to play this a little carefully since he will still have to work with the district if he stays. I for one am happy to fight the fight for him.

You all still fail to understand

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:21 AM

This is a personnel/hr issue. You can hoot and holler all you want. The district is unable to discuss the matter. it has nothing to do with transparency. Just so we are clear too, everyone is replaceable. everyone! and many times with someone better.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:21 AM

@Supporter - I don't blame him for trying to keep his job. I just wish all of the people holding the district's feet to the fire for honesty and transparency would do the same for the guy who is telling his supporters one thing, and everyone else something else. Plus, he seems to be playing the politics just fine now since the parents are doing all of the talking and he isn't saying a word, at least not publicly.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:15 AM

Being principal is about acheiving results and positive environments. It is not high school - anyone who has worked in executive/lead /senior role understands that you are not going to make everyone happy. Second, how other found out is franly irrelevant - (no one who matters questions his integrity) - what matters now is go forward stratey -

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:10 AM

I don't blame Sam for hoping to keep his job. Also no reason to blame Mann parents for hoping to keep a principal we love. Obviously he has not played his district politics very well, but we still think he's doing a great job w/ our kids. Not a lawyer so I have no idea about the rest.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:10 AM

@OP you may want to seek help for anger management issues. AGain, look at this cooly and logically - not with emotion. Every Parents think there child is gifted and that they should have direct access to principal for deep/long conversations. Do you go into the CEO of your company and chat? think not. Point being, you cant make everyone happy .- nature of job.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 10:03 AM

PrepforSuc was the best thing to happen to my child. It had nothing to do with Mr. LeDeaux. He's a LIAR!! Uses excuse to steer clear from accountability & shift it elsewhere. He lacks respect for parents & therefore students, accountability, responsibility & he's notorious for saying one thing & doing another. Those poor qualities are the only consistencies going for him. I don't want to spend my $21K in taxes like that.

concerned parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:58 AM

Very well said Dooper. And OP...there are not 500+ families supporting him. 65 letters of support isn't even close to half. Part of the problem is the supporters speaking on behalf of the entire school. When letters begin with, "on behalf of the PTO," that means the entire school....all parents and teachers. I don't recall giving my permission for that and it misrepresents by inflating the level of support for LeDeaux.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:51 AM

@Supporter - In addition, how is it that LeDeaux is not being honest when you basically just revealed that he told Mann parents about his status to garner support, but has been telling people outside the Mann community that he has absolutely nothing to do with any information getting out and isn't sure how that happened?

Dooper from OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:49 AM

Sam won't tell anyone specifically what problems Roberts has with him, why? Representation has been offered, Sam declined, why? Parents are coaching what to write in letters and how to not get the children involved. They don't want anyone to say "how could they use their children that way". Kid sees sign, asks questions, ummm? Sam doesn't seem to have a problem using the parents or the PTO. @Jen Sam is not standing up for himself & btw the people on the board are good people, not pushovers

R. Thompson

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:48 AM

@Supporter - So, how exactly are Roberts and the board supposed to get around their legal obligations to satisfy your need to know? Is there a loophole in the law you can share with the rest of us. In addition, according to the Mann PTO, they are flooding the board with emails, planning to attend the next board meeting, have launched an FB page. How are they not being heard? Has the board specifically said "thanks, but we don't care what you say?"

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:42 AM

@OP - So I named specific programs and you named a bunch of generalities with a few buzz words. However, that won't matter because I am sure any second now you'll be sharing the direct outcomes of these initiatives with data showing how they have improved student learning. Because, beyond that, doesn't sound like they're doing more than "trying" either.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:40 AM

@op - so this is about your hurt fellings? grow up. There are 500+ families that dont want the second principal is 18 months - and likely significant change. Is he perfec, no - but are you? I am far from it. You need to seperate your own feeling and think a little provincial. provencially.

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:39 AM

And overall, this has exposed the fact that Dr. Roberts can oust anyone who doesn't agree with him, never reveal the reasons, get the board to blindly approve it ... all without any input from the parents and teachers who actually work with this man. It's frustrating.

Supporter

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:35 AM

I don't think Mr. LeDeaux is being dishonest in the least. He has said publicly that he has nothing to hide. He has reason to believe his job is in jeopardy and he's reached out to people who support him?"nothing wrong with that.The problem seems to stem from a personality conflict with Dr. Roberts. Mann parents are understandably upset because the majority of us like him and don't have any conflict with him. We feel he's serving our kids well and don't want to start over, again, with someone new

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:35 AM

this is not about Roberts, this is about LeDeaux incompetence. not to mention the most insensitive person I know.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:34 AM

@thompson "at least they are trying" - that sounds pretty lame. As my boss tells me " i dont pay you for effort, I pay you for results" - My point is we need to ask some tough questions p thats all. I am concerned about what I see at middle school and elsehwere in OP97

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:30 AM

There are several things which include complete restructure of cirriculum and staff, integration of new programs for teachers development, expanded integration of parents in school process, increased use of technology Did IQ's suddenly drop? It is not about him and no one hate Roberts. I do love results and value for the $25,000 a year I am paying in property taxes. This is business and nver personal. Please look at this objectively.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:24 AM

@OP - OK, it is much more than Twitter according to you. So, please, enlighten all of us. What are these innovative things happening at Mann? What is Mr. LeDeaux doing exactly that is moving the needle?

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:21 AM

@OP - First, the board voted on Kumar's resignation, which they are required to do by law, so I'm not sure how they accepted her resignation and then she was fired the next day. Second, while you may not like or agree with the district's efforts, they are at least trying different things (IB, iLearn 97, Prep for Success, PT3, Research for Better Teaching). Again, what is Mr. LeDeaux doing that is innovative? Just say I hate Roberts since we know that is what this is about for you.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:19 AM

@OP Bever said they owe anything. Just encourage you to stop being uninformed and childish about how things work, the root cuases if his departure and more broadly, that OP97 is not moving the needle for our children. I am sorry if this offends you - please put on big girl pants or stay off board. ... :-)

@op

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:13 AM

the district & board doesn't owe you an explanation. They have not made their decision & they will do so not with your opinion whether he stays or he goes. Get your answer by your principal. Get your facts straight

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:13 AM

@op innovation - nothing to do with twitter. much more than that. clearly, you never have sat on a board, been involved with a board etc. cause Roberts would not make a move with board approval BEFOREHAND. get off twitter - be smart

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:10 AM

Let me tell you about Roberts management style. He will publically say one thing and do another. With Kumar, he gave her 24 hours to resign while promising not to go public with story and everything would be fine... then the next day, they told her she was fired and gave exit timetable. Again, it is not about Mann, it is about Roberts and the do nothing Board. Name ONE real innovation OP97 has completed (not the fast forward crap)

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:10 AM

I keep hearing how innovative Mr. LeDeaux is, but have yet to hear actual concrete examples beyond him and his teachers being on Twitter, which, by the way, isn't really that innovative. Also, @OP, how is the district hiding behind legal requirements? So, your preference is for them to break the law and face lawsuits to satisfy your need to know? You know who doesn't have those some legal obligations regarding his employment? Mr. LeDeaux. Again, why doesn't he share the contents of his eval?

@op

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:04 AM

How would you know this much detail about Roberts? I think he is doing a magnificent job and so is the Board. Your principal is not an innovative leader if a forward thinker. Just b/c he uses twitter doesn't make him an innovator. Please! Things at Mann get done b/c the PTO gets the job done. Not him. He just says yes. Doesn't challenge PTo or teachers there, I don't like the culture at Mann this year is the worse.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:03 AM

It is state law that they can not disclose evaluations....not a district decision. Get your facts straight.

@OP

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:01 AM

Board has not voted...how can you say complete support for his decision? Stop adding fuel to the misinformation fire.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 9:00 AM

Of course Roberts and the Board will hide behind legal restrictions etc. They realize that if people will start asking what they are actually achieving and why they push out anyone who tries to do more, then they will be shown the door. It is sad we live in a scoiety where organizations can writre their own reality and it becomes truth. Look beyond the BS and you will realize Roberts and Board are not moving OP schoold forward.

@concerned parent from the Chi

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:57 AM

I can tell you from my own personal experience that I had with him in the beg. of the school year that he is very unprofessional & arrogant. I don't waste my time with incompetence. I gave up. I don't even think half the kids the school posts on twitter have permission to be on it or even know they're on it. I smell a "lawsuit."

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:55 AM

This is actually good that the parents might have some voice in process and realize how poor of a job Roberts/Board have done. We need to look behind the hype that d97 pushes out and look at results. Also we know intutivaly that Oak Park schools are not excelling as they did in the past - it starts with Board and Roberts.

Mary P from Oak Park

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:54 AM

As a newer OP resident, this is quite concerning actually! I think demanding transparency as to how the Superintendant makes his decissions and subsequent recomendations to the D97 Board on school principals is a fair request. What could happen to our community, our property values, if people have their doubts about how our school district is managed and the impact this has on the children's education?

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:53 AM

The issue is deeper than Mann and represents Roberts style of management and complete board support for his decision. Roberts is a command and control manager and the board technocrats. For Roberts you do what you are told, when you are told and dont not go off script and Manns principal is innovating. Innovation means distruption - which Roberts will not tolerate. The Board is wonderful at bylaws, and procedure but not really moving the needle with regard to education quality/innovation.

concerned parent from Chicago, Illinois

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:51 AM

Speaking of twitter....there have been several tweets from LeDeaux over the past month where he is, not so subtly, publically criticizing Dr. Roberts without actually naming him. Would you take to twitter to air your grievances in your job? Unprofessional at best.

@mann parents

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:46 AM

You better check your self before you wreck yourself, cuz principal LeDeaux is bad for yourself & the kids- I'm giving credit to my fave old school rap artist Ice Cube. I didn't come up with all of this myself

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:38 AM

If we're to demand transparency from the district on this issue, I think the same can be said and should be expected from Mr. LeDeaux.

@jen

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:37 AM

I think the only way you can get this guy's attn, is by tweeting. That's all he likes to do the entire day. He appoints his teachers to take pictures of him & tweet them. Don't forget to #mannschool. Some of his staff members are losing they're identity & starting to sound exactly like him. Or are they just stroking his ego? I heard from a parent that some have filed complaints against him to the district & IL St Bd of Ed. I wonder what that's all about.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:22 AM

@Jen - So tell Mr. LeDeaux to stand up then. Where is his quote in this article? Why isn't he tweeting about this? Since he felt the need to tell everyone he wasn't being renewed, why doesn't he share the contents of the "flawed" evaluation? We're hearing a ton from the parents, but when will we hear from the man himself?

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:15 AM

I'm also not seeing much in this letter that points to specific things Mr. LeDeaux has accomplished during the past couple of years. I see a lot of generalities (communicator, listener, sense of humor), but nothing tangible in the form of programs or initiatives that have contributed to the success of students. Plus, in reading the thread, the honesty piece seems to be a question mark if he started all the rumors and is now denying he did it.

Jen

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:13 AM

So if the commenters here are right, a man shouldn't stand up for his job when his believes he is being unfairly pushed out, and a group of parents shouldn't speak up if they want him to stay. Roberts rules the roost and we're divas if we believe he's making a mistake. Ooooookay!

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:09 AM

And, if they want parent and teacher input to be part of the evaluation process, try talking to the Illinois legislators who created the laws that are used to regulate the process, which I believe has to be done by people who are trained and certified. I'd also like to see a show of hands from teachers and principals who want parents to evaluate them.

@ r Thompson

Posted: March 12th, 2014 8:06 AM

Demanding is right. They have a self entitlement attitude. The principal is plain self serving. PTO is a controlling group. Principal is a YES man to the group & teachers. I don't want that running our school.

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:59 AM

The Mann PTO is demanding that the board and superintendent meet with them to explain exactly why Mr. LeDeaux might not be back and is saying "they deserve answers." Quite an advantageous position to be in when you know the district is bound by the law not to disclose that information. Then you all come on here after the meeting and complain about the lack of transparency.

@ middle school parent

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:53 AM

If it Julian you're referring to, don't worry that will be nipped in the bud as soon as Mann parents can help it

K parent at Mann

Posted: March 12th, 2014 7:46 AM

I've been to progressive schools in Seattle. My opinion is complete opposite of him. He's defiant & insubordinate. Diva-esque behavior

RLM from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 11:32 PM

Um, so the middle school principals aren't up for review? Cause...I'm just saying. One of the middle schools is desperate for some review and evaluation and reassessing...

@mann'er from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 10:42 PM

I get you, children loved Kumar too. They see no evil. Not saying he is. You cannot expect the district to disclose that info. if the principal chooses to tell the parents who want an explanation, thats his right & his decision. What is there to lose by doing that? If he circulated to the parents that he was being shown the door he should have been honest why. I don't know that he did wrong or didn't, but sometimes people protect themselves by not being able to comment further.

Mann'er

Posted: March 11th, 2014 10:25 PM

We don't want to make all the decisions. We simply want to understand why someone who we think is effective, and who our children and teachers love, is being shown the door. If there's a better principal out there for us, great. Just tell us why.

Former Mann 2013 parent from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 10:11 PM

Who runs Mann? Mann PTO that's who. District 97 better watch your back or they'll run you too. They're goal is to make all the decisions for district 97 about Mann. Too bad the other schools can't afford that luxury

Op parent from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 10:04 PM

If he is truly a good mgr & principal, he'll have no trouble finding employment. Please parents, there are far more important causes & needs in our community to shift our focus. I wish we took that same passion to help the org's who really need it in OP. It's nice that we're trying to help, but maybe it's not up to us. Parents can't always try to be control freaks about who stays & who goes when we don't have facts just opinions.

Parent from FP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 9:42 PM

He is not fighting the district. If he was, he would tell everybody the truth & the heck with it, fight yourself & tell us the truth. Instead he blankets himself with the PTO click and complains to them about the district being the bad guys. How unprofessional is that? Whose the bad guy? He knew what he was doing by telling the right parents about him not coming back.

Allison from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 9:30 PM

Why would Mr. LeDeaux try to fight if the district had some 'smoking gun' on him? If that was the case, he'd go quietly - which he is definitely not doing.

Worried parent from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 9:29 PM

Wait, I thought LeDeaux main focus at Mann was to bury all the bad rap Mann got before by inundating social media with all the great things happening at Mann. There are good things happening at Mann, or so it looks that way on Facebook. Anyone can take do-gooder pics for show. I'm sure good things are happening at other op schools, they just don't need all the attention.

What is the reason? from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 9:23 PM

I know for a fact that the principal disclosed to the Mann teachers & Mann pto that his contract would not be renewed. It is surprising he is not disclosing the truth. The question that needs to be answered is why? Why would Dr. Roberts not want to renew his contract? It must be something serious. Unfourtanatly, that is something we will never know. I would support him if he steps up and discloses the truth. Due to laws we will not be privy to this important info.

OParker from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 9:16 PM

Well doesn't the other ~5% matter? Are they chopped liver? 95% of the teachers have had excused absences. I would like my boss too if he let me be absent during the week for training so I didn't have to do it on weekends or summer. that would get anybody on your good side.

Oak Parker from Oak park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:58 PM

BTW, 1000 likes get you a $5 Starbucks gift card in some pages

OParker from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:54 PM

Why not relocate him instead, maybe to fill the other vacancies, maybe he can take that same energy & inspiration over there. Why don't we try and help our community that way? We're mustangs, we can bounce back. Nothing wrong with bringing new energy at Mann & sharing it elsewhere, let's not be selfish.

Do not support either from Oak park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:46 PM

parents didnt hire him. We were asked about the qualities we wanted our principal to late in the school year. Again at request of PTO. If it waS Mann parents who hired, I wouldn't be sending my kid to school there. Please, far more important issues in OP to be dealt 1) not enough parking spots 2) high parking rates 3) need to get a tenant on Harlem & Lake 4) need to finish construction on lake & forest. Parents need a reality check, people losing their homes at Mann district. We/He'll be ok

In support of Sam

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:36 PM

~95% teachers/staff at Mann signed a letter to the District in support of Sam. An egotistical maniac doesn't inspire that kind of support from his direct reports. The evidence suggests he's a good manager & a good principal.

j.oak park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:34 PM

I knew Mr. LeDeaux when he was at Julian middle school. He has a ton of energy and seems to be an outspoken leader... which is the problem, because Roberts is a bully and only wants things his way. Fire tripple pension Roberts, not LeDeaux. Maybe we can get a refund on all the crap, FastforWord, IB MYP, and what ever else the fraud Roberts brought to D97... those programs I listed are about a million tax payer dollars spent.

Another Mann Parent

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:06 PM

Regardless of your view on LeDeaux, the District and Board should engage the school community on major decisions such as this one. Our input was taken in the selection of this principal. It should also be included in the potential removal. One opinion from one administrator is not enough data for any Board of Education to make a sound decision.

Do not support him from Op

Posted: March 11th, 2014 8:00 PM

pushing boundaries, questioning authority & the "usual" way & that pisses people off.-he's egotistical, far more competent teachers & Mann staff are fit to take his position. Hey, I think MannPTO is more competent than he, he loves attn. I could see why he wants to be a Mann school celebrity overnight. As Twista rapped in one of my fave tracks "I can make you a celebrity overnight, let someone else be his manager." He doesn't need to be our problem. sorry if I'm a sour grape. Call me a prune

In support of Sam

Posted: March 11th, 2014 7:45 PM

There are bound to be a few dissenters and sour grapes in any a decent-sized community but it's pretty obvious that Mann parents and staff overwhelmingly support Mr. LeDeaux and don't want to see him leave. And we are thoroughly confused that this is even being discussed. Also - if being an innovative thought leader makes you guilty of being a "Mann School celebrity," well then I guess that's his crime. He's pushing boundaries, questioning authority and the "usual" way & that pisses people off

mann parent from OP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 7:35 PM

I would start a We Need New Leadership at Mann and have Papersource supply me with ribbons to put out on people's trees. Instead I only have time to offer my two cents in this comment section. My 70hr work week doesn't leave enough time for the extracurriculars. I just burned our chicken. Not fair to my family.

mann parent from OP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 7:31 PM

I welcome new leadership at our school. The turnover isn't the districts or Dr. Roberts fault. Clearly there are valid reasons if his contract is not renewed that the district cannot disclose. I don't believe the district wants to waste their time either searching for a new principal if we had a fit leader. Either way, I think the district has the parents & the schools best interest. Not the everybody thinks he's a competent leader for Mann. If it wasn't for my two jobs,

VHJ from OP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 7:09 PM

Two principals in two years is a serious situation worthy of the attention it's getting. It is unacceptable to have high turn over with school principals and it is unacceptable for parents and teachers to not be given any consideration when it comes to the leadership at their schools. Where the information came from (I do not believe it originated with Mr. LeDeaux) becomes irrelevant once its out in the community for all to discuss. We all deserve to have a say about our kids education.

Mann Parent from OP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 6:50 PM

I agree, there are far more serious situations than not renewing his contract. His representation is flawed. Not everyone at Mann feels the same way, Facebook likes mean nothing. I am embarrassed that the Mann PTO is turning this into a circus. Please the the school Board do their job. If we get a new principal, let's embrace him/her and move on.

AJack from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 6:28 PM

Letters to the editors and members of the BOE, window signs, buttons, hand held signs, social media, ribbons around trees to show support. 65 letters were received, not even half the school. Not everyone supports Sam. Leave the ribbons for serious situations. Parents want to change the principal evaluation process stating "Sam's situation has highlighted the glaring flaws that extends to the entire OP community." No other schools report a problem with the process. The parents are being used.

Mann Parent from OP

Posted: March 11th, 2014 6:27 PM

Sam Ledeaux told parents he was fired. Parents at Mann are supposed to pretend they didn't hear it from Ledeaux. Frankly, he only concerns himself with being a Mann school celebrity and sending tweets and pictures of himself pretending to care. I apologize the first is a fact and the second is my opinion.

parent

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:56 PM

How can the school community's involvement be "premature" if there's no mechanism for our participation? It's now or never. Better to jump the gun then be shut out of the process entirely if those are our only two options.

Jelly from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:40 PM

Sounds like Mann has a wonderful, dynamic new principal who has made a positive impact in a very short time. I hope these rumors are just that. Wise of the parents to be so pro-active.

Confused?

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:32 PM

Honestly confused...it sounds as though Mr. LeDeaux has a great deal of support from parents and faculty, which is usually a good sign for a building administrator. Why would the district not renew his contract. You typically would want to retain an effective and well-liked principal.

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:27 PM

And that is what seems to be most frustrating for everyone involved. The law more or less blocks the ability for either side to be transparent. The district can't say anything because it will be breaking the law and will probably get sued. LeDeaux can't say anything because he would likely be throwing away his legal/privacy rights if he does. And so the parents are left in the middle wondering what the heck is going on.

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:17 PM

@Jenny R - From what I understand, that's because the law doesn't allow for school districts to publicly share any information about personnel - "Sec. 24A-7.1. Teacher, principal, and superintendent performance evaluations. Except as otherwise provided under this Act, disclosure of public school teacher, principal, and superintendent performance evaluations is prohibited."

concerned parent

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:08 PM

Jen...what exactly are you saying Chris Jasculca and Dr. Roberts lied about? That's a very hefty accusation, and sounds as if it's meant to stir the pot, rather than be productive.

Jenny R. from Oak Park IL

Posted: March 11th, 2014 5:07 PM

Th District also doesn't mention that the Roberts recommendation to renew or not renew is never made public until after its presented to the board and voted on, too late for the Mann community to provide any input.

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:52 PM

Well, I guess it matters only in the fact that you called Roberts and Jasculca liars, which may very well be the case, but then make it seem like it is OK for LeDeaux to lie because he's trying to save his job. If he's really going to get bounced, then I can't imagine anybody would fault him for standing up and fighting. Just be up front and honest about it.

Jen

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:41 PM

Does it matter?No matter who "told" it still goes against what the parents and staff want. Thank goodness parents found out in time to try and affect the outcome of the situation.

Ali from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:35 PM

Sam LeDeaux is an assertive, compassionate, creative and forward-thinking leader who is inspiring great things from his staff and engendering a palpable positive spirit at Mann. It would be a terrible shame if the District didn't renew his contract. Please, D97, do the right thing!

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:27 PM

So, based on your comment, Jen, it sounds like LeDeaux did start the rumor. If that's the case, why doesn't he just come out and say it then? I have no issue with him fighting for his job. However, I've heard from several people that he has denied having anything to do with any of this. Just seems a little disingenuous if he started the rumors, but then denies he did it.

Jen

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:22 PM

Why would it be self-serving to fight to keep a job you love when everything points to the fact that you're doing a great job and the community and staff love you.

Bridgett from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 4:20 PM

From what I gather from this news article, I don't think the parents know for sure that LeDeaux's contract won't be renewed. I think the parents take issue with the review process that determines the outcome of whether or not his contract with be renewed. And so this letter-writing campaign is a "preemptive strike" for when the evaluation process does take place.

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 3:39 PM

And, just to clarify, I like LeDeaux. I haven't always agreed with him, but I like him. However, if the board hasn't taken action on his status, then these rumors were either started by the people who evaluated him, which seems unlikely, or LeDeaux himself, which seems a bit self serving and runs counter to all of the positive things I have read and heard about him. I guess I'd just like to know the impetus of all this if the district is saying it's not done and parents are saying it is.

Kathleen O'Connor from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 3:31 PM

I'd like to clarify my quote. The teachers on the school leadership team got together for some planning meetings over the summer because they were so excited to implement their ideas and start the year off right. LeDeaux inspires this kind of enthusiasm. I have experience working in a variety of elementary schools, and I've never seen anything like this dedication.

J Lerner

Posted: March 11th, 2014 3:28 PM

From what I understand based on reading the contents of the past few board packets, the board hasn't taken any action on LeDeaux's contract yet. However, you clearly have inside information, Jen. For the sake of transparency, perhaps you should share what you know and who you got the info from so both can be addressed with the board and Roberts. Otherwise, this is just more rumor and speculation.

Jen from Oak Park

Posted: March 11th, 2014 3:05 PM

Unfortunately, Roberts and Jasculca are lying in this article. Very disappointing.

grovegal

Posted: March 11th, 2014 2:35 PM

This started when Mann parents ousted Dr McClain because of his aloofness. Then teachers filed a greivance against Carol Young so she left for Whittier Following that was the joke that was Kumar at the helm. Finally, a good principal and they're going to fight to keep him.