Tucker an experienced choice for Oak Park village trustee

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

I was thrilled to learn that Bob Tucker is running for Oak Park village trustee in April's election. My family and I have known Bob, his wife and two kids for years, and I have seen his sincere commitment to trying to make our village a better place.

Bob has lived in Oak Park for 16 years and has served as a volunteer on Oak Park's volunteer citizen commissions for more than a dozen years.

He currently is the chairman of Oak Park's Community Design Commission. During his public service, he has demonstrated a wonderful combination of being intelligent, professional, thoughtful and patient.

I've been particularly impressed with his willingness to take the time to listen to all sides of an issue while always maintaining his sense of humor.

Professionally, he has extensive experience in municipal finance, housing and development issues, and working with and analyzing complex budgets. These skills will serve him — and Oak Park — very well on the village board.

We need his expertise. He is not a single-issue candidate. Instead, he offers a strategic vision for all of Oak Park that emphasizes real fiscal discipline, responsible development and an open and responsive government.

I would urge all Oak Parkers to vote for Bob Tucker on April 5!

Shanna Schmidt
Oak Park

john murtagh from oak park

Posted: February 11th, 2011 12:51 PM

It is clear that Bob Tucker has,and deserves, compliments and accolades, but lets not forget that any election that is decided on the personality and energy only does not serve the community well. Elections are about issues and OP does not lack for important issues that are too frequently igonored by public officials.

Sarah from Oak Park

Posted: February 10th, 2011 11:57 AM

My husband and I have known Bob Tucker for more than 10 years. One of the first times I met Bob he mentioned he lived in Oak Park. It was evident from that conversation he was a proud resident%u2014touting all of the benefits of living in such a fantastic community. And, in fact, Bob's enthusiasm played a large part in our decision to move here almost 5 years ago. I've never questioned his commitment to the village and know that Bob will work hard for the entire Oak Park community.

Dave Heidorn from Oak Park

Posted: February 10th, 2011 9:36 AM

Just what Oak Park needs, one more "low income housing professional." At Grove and Madison, we're already being hammered by Oak Parkers in that business who will benefit from more low income housing beyond the 700 or so units we already have, far more than any other suburb. I, too, would like to know Bob's views on the Madison-Grove project. It would be nice if we could have a Board member who could demonstrate he can put the interests of voters over his own professional interests.

Bernie from Oak Park

Posted: February 10th, 2011 8:28 AM

I have served with Bob on the Community Design Commission for many years and have known Bob personally for almost 15 years. He has always shown the highest level of professionalism and wisdom in all items that have come across the committee's agenda. He listens intently, applies his very high level of knowledge as a concerned citizen and community leader, and works with all involved in discerning decisions and recommendations that are best for the Village of Oak Park as a whole. He has my vote.

Marya

Posted: February 10th, 2011 8:04 AM

Bob Tucker is a person of exceptional intelligence and integrity. The Tuckers have been our family friends for years and I know Bob well -he is fair, reasonable, and extremely bright. Bob is a hard worker who genuinely cares about Oak Park. We are lucky that he's running for Village Trustee and we would be foolish not to elect him.

Pat W.

Posted: February 9th, 2011 10:59 PM

I have known Bob Tucker for over 10 years. As others have expressed, Bob is a personable, ethical, dedicated individual who will be an exceptional public servant for Oak Park. I truly believe that he will work for the best interests of village residents. I have heard Bob speak about many of the issues that are important to Oak Parkers, and I encourage others to attend one of the candidate forums to learn more about his vision for Oak Park and to share your concerns.

Commenter from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 7:46 PM

As a minimally politically active taxpayer, I'd prefer a trustee who shares many of the down home values of the people as it were. Alot of candidates "qualify" with skills, integrity and accomplishments, but there's a certain QUALITY OF LIFE that is being sucked out of the community by savy political and business opportunists doing business as usual. Is there any hope?

john murtagh from oak park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 7:12 PM

Since he is a housing professional, it would be valuable if Bob Tucker publically expressed his viewpoints on the Madison Avenue Housing Proposal.

OP REsident

Posted: February 9th, 2011 7:06 PM

Whiteco is Bob Tuckers Baby? OK you vote for him.

Maria P from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 6:26 PM

My family and I have known Bob and his family for seven years now. He is a person of genuine good character and integrity. He is thoughtful and honest, and understands the complexities of our community. I cannot think of a better candidate for Village Board Trustee.

Steve Rouse from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 5:39 PM

I served on the Downtown "Superblock" Committee with Bob, that is how I first was introduced to Bob. His management skills and personality were a major factor in the Committee's ability to work so well together and deliver a solid plan to the Village Board.agreement. He will make an outstanding Village Board Trustee.

gail from moran

Posted: February 9th, 2011 4:50 PM

I volunteered with Bob Tucker for almost six years on the Community Design Commission, and through that association became friends with him, his wife and children. I can attest that there is no one of higher character and staunch integrity. And, he's funny and charming! So sad to see these attacks.

Sonny from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 4:26 PM

Bob is a superb candidate. Yes, he was a partner at one of the premier muni law firms in Chicago. He left that high-paying job for one as general counsel of a very respected not-for-profit owner and developer of affordable housing. As Chair of the "Superblock" Committee, he pulled together myriad conflicting ideas to form a proposal approved unanimously by members of various parties. Frankly, I'm not sure how Oak Parkers can find a better person and candidate to serve our community.

JC

Posted: February 9th, 2011 2:04 PM

The VMA slating committee should be prepared to answer the question posed by "just wondering". It would appear to be very troubling,if true. Taxpayers has certainly have had enough of insiders influencing the decision making process. I expect Mr. Tucker to reveal exactly how much his firm has been by the Village of Oak Park. There remains an issue of how law firms are selected by the Village board. For much too long, there has not been any competitive bidding process for outside legal counsel.

just wondering ...

Posted: February 9th, 2011 12:20 PM

Is this the same Bob Tucker who chaired the Oak Park Downtown Sub Area Plan Steering Committee while he was a municipal finance attorney for Chapman and Cutler, at the same time this firm was doing business with the Village of Oak Park as a vendor in 2004-05?

Mary J from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 12:10 PM

Jon has a good point. One can attend a candidate event, which I plan to do, but the VMA would not have nominated Tucker unless he tows the party line. The party line being one of fiscal irresponsibility and closed door meetings.

Rachel W from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 11:01 AM

Your party concerns aside (since they don't seem to be about Bob but more about your frustrations with the party), I think attending a public event where you can hear Bob speak about his plan and vision would help you make an informed choice, even if you disagree with him.

Jon Donohue

Posted: February 9th, 2011 10:11 AM

I find it difficult to believe that Tucker really has a "strategic vision for all of Oak Park that emphasizes real fiscal discipline, responsible development and an open and responsive government." If he really did he would not be running on the VMA slate of candidates that change their political party every election cycle to circumvent the election laws. Words mean nothing when actions prove otherwise. I am not voting for the VMA candidates that historically have lied to Oak Park citizens.

Tiffanie L from Oak Park

Posted: February 9th, 2011 9:57 AM

I've known Bob for over 30 years and will attest to his thoughtful, inclusive approach to handling multi-dimensional challenge and controversy. He will continue to serve Oak Park with excellence as a Trustee.

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad