Oak Park and River Forest High School sent a warning Wednesday that Oak Park police had reported an incident of attempted child luring Wednesday morning around 9:45 a.m.
A female Julian Middle School student told police she was walking in the 100 block of Madison Street when an unknown adult male unsuccessfully tried to lure her into his dark blue minivan.
"The student immediately ran to school and reported the incident to the building staff," said a press release from the high school.
Police described the offender as a white male in his mid-20s. No other description was given. Police continue to investigate the incident.
The police and D200 released a list of safety precautions students should take when they are walking around Oak Park, whether it is to/from school or on the weekends.
- Always try to walk in groups or with at least one other person.
- Walk on sidewalks and other open areas rather than alleys that have less visibility.
- Be aware of your surroundings and any strangers who are nearby.
- Do not wear ear buds or headphones, so that you can remain alert to your surroundings.
- If you have a concern about another person near you, go to a neighbor's house, find an adult to assist you, or go back to school.
- Never approach a vehicle unknown to you even if the occupant speaks to you.
- Yell loudly and run if you feel you are in danger.
- Be sure to tell your parents if something happens. Parents should contact the police and the school.
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Photo store||Contact us|
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|