By Jean Lotus
An unknown man wearing an undershirt and shorts and driving a black pickup allegedly followed a male Roosevelt Middle School student after school Feb. 11, 12 and 13, police said.
River Forest Police and District 90 police issued a community alert Feb. 13 after the boy reported the incidents.
Roosevelt Middle School is located at 7560 Oak St.
The student told police the pickup followed him Feb. 11 while was walking southbound on Ashland Avenue from Oak Avenue around 3:30 p.m. The student said the first time, the vehicle followed him until he entered a friend's house. On Feb. 12, the truck appeared again and the driver exited the truck and asked, "Do you want a ride?"
Police said the student described the vehicle as a black Toyota pickup truck with "debris and trash on the dashboard" and a possible partial license plate of "T486."
The student said the driver was a white male, 40-45 years old and balding, with blue eyes and patchy facial hair.
On Feb. 13, when the student spotted the car parked on Oak beginning to turn onto Ashland, he ran to the River Forest Police Department to report the man, police said. Police are investigating the incidents.
• Always try to walk in groups or with at least one other person.
• Walk on sidewalks and other open areas rather than alleys that have less visibility.
• Be aware of your surroundings and any strangers who are nearby.
• If you have a concern about another person near you, go to a neighbor's house, find an adult to assist you, or go back to school.
• Never approach a vehicle unknown to you, even if the occupant speaks to you.
• Yell loudly and run if you feel you are in danger.
• Be sure to tell your parents if something happens. Parents should contact the police and the school.
Find a garage sale near you!
In search of local garage sales? Find out what sales are happening near you on our map and listing page.
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|