Oak Park and River Forest schools closed Wednesday

By Evan O'Brien

Content Manager

Oak Park and River Forest schools, including District 90, District 97 and District 200, announced that all schools will be closed Wednesday due to inclement weather.

Oak Park and River Forest High School announced that all classes and activities are canceled and District and Building Offices are closed Wednesday.

All District 97 classes and after-school activities, including parent-teacher conferences and Hephzibah programming, have been canceled for Wednesday.

The District 90 school board meeting and after-school activities this evening have been canceled. All District 90 schools will be closed on Wednesday.

jerry sebesta from oak park

Posted: February 2nd, 2011 5:45 PM

Liz R is correct about the temperature on 1/20/1985. But I didn't have to look it up. My son a Mann School and OPRF graduate was born on that day. For years we have had Tom Skilling's article on the coldest day on a bulletin board in our kitchen,

Sheila C. from River Forest

Posted: February 2nd, 2011 12:51 PM

Many thanks to the school administrators for closing schools. I imagine we were able to avoid quite a few collisions by doing so. In addition, keeping cars off the road prevents the forced rescue of people who are stuck or out of gas like they had to do on Lake Shore Drive last night.

BWalsh

Posted: February 2nd, 2011 8:30 AM

In January, 1994 windchills were -75 degrees during finals week. OPRF was open, and my recollection is that OPRF was the ONLY school open in the whole state.

Liz R. from Oak Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 7:23 PM

"The coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago is -27%uFFFDF (-33%uFFFDC) on January 20, 1985..." from Wikipedia

Liz R. from Oak Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 7:19 PM

In 1982-85, we had some days which were way below zero. District 97 schools were closed somewhere during that period when it was -20 or more! It was COLD! That was not a wind chill, that was actual temperature!

Kay Foran from Oak Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 6:49 PM

OPRFHS has had four closings due to snow since the District's founding in 1873: March 25, 1930 - 19.2 in; Jan. 9, 1939 - 14.9 in; Jan. 27, 1967 - 24 in; Jan. 25, 1979 -20.7 in...and Feb. 2, 2011 ???? in.

b

Posted: February 1st, 2011 6:47 PM

OPRFHS, district 200 closed for a snow day in 1979

D 200

Posted: February 1st, 2011 6:21 PM

I would be more interested in how long since OPRF closed

jerry from oak park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 6:09 PM

District 200 has been known for rarely if ever closing under prior Sup'ts. Were they closed in 1967 and have they been closed since then. The 1999 storm came during the holidays. Hopefully Wed Journal can post this.

student

Posted: February 1st, 2011 6:06 PM

OPRF hasn't had a snow day since 1979.

Sara

Posted: February 1st, 2011 5:55 PM

I think I remember a "cold" day where d97 said it was ok to stay home if you thought it was too cold for your kids to be out - maybe about 12-15 years ago??

Mary from Forest Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 5:46 PM

Definitely Dist. 97 was closed after the '67 snowstorm as I remember getting the phone call and letting my daughter sleep. But not sure about the high school. My son, a high school student, was in Oak Park Hospital at the time, so it was not relevant to him.

Ellen from Oak Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 5:40 PM

I have lived/gone to school and/or taught in OP for 45 years, and I have no memory of schools closing. Except maybe in 1967, but I was only 2, so I can't be sure! :)

Graham Johnston from Wednesday Journal

Posted: February 1st, 2011 5:38 PM

We'll get that info for Oak Park, River Forest and the high school tomorrow and post it. Thanks for the question.

Pst from Oak Park

Posted: February 1st, 2011 5:26 PM

Does anyone have any information on the last time OP district 97 cancelled classes due to inclement weather? Everyone says there's a history of NEVER closing school...