By Ben Meyerson
A gunshot in front of Holmes School last Wednesday is being investigated by police because the target of the shooting allegedly gave conflicting information to police.
After a series of struggles in front of the school between two teens and a 17-year-old Oak Park boy, the victim ran away from his assailants, who reportedly shot at him with a handgun but missed.
The two 17- to 18-year-old offenders did inflict a head injury on the Oak Park boy during the fight, which happened around 8:30 p.m. in front of the school, 508 N. Kenilworth Ave. in Oak Park.
The boy was taken to West Suburban Hospital for his head injury and released.
Police radio reports from Wednesday night revealed that the bullet's shell casing had been recovered.
The suspect who fired a gun was described by police as black, roughly 5 feet, 10 inches tall with a medium build and short black hair. He was last seen wearing a brown letterman-style jacket with green sleeves.
While police are investigating the case as an aggravated battery, Oak Park Police Detective Commander LaDon Reynolds said the case began as a robbery.
The two teens allegedly told the victim to give them his property, Reynolds said, though it wasn't clear what they wanted from him.
A letter from Holmes Principal Suzie Hackmiller to the school's parents said Police Chief Rick Tanksley told her that police didn't think the school's families should be worried — partly because of what the victim had told police.
"Police Chief Tanksley did tell me that the statement given by the alleged victim contained contradictory information that, at this point cannot be verified," Hackmiller said in an e-mail to parents. "This leads him to believe that this is an isolated incident that is unrelated to our school, staff or students."
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|