Getaway driver steals purse while waiting for busted uncle

Man arrested for stealing batteries from Dominick's, nephew for burglary to car

Updated:

Show/Hide Gallery

By Ben Meyerson

Chicago Journal Editor

The Flagg family decided to pick up a few things before Christmas, so they went to Dominick's in River Forest.

But Frederick C. Flagg, 39, of Elmwood Park, and his nephew Christopher C. Flagg, 27, of Maywood, just didn't want to pay for anything.

Frederick was busted for stealing $26 worth of batteries from Dominick's at 7501 North Ave. while Christopher, waiting in a getaway car outside, allegedly stole a woman's purse and bolted without his incapacitated uncle before being arrested several blocks away.

It started inside Dominick's when Frederick reportedly was spotted nabbing the batteries by store security. When Frederick was stopped, he started fighting with store personnel, River Forest police said.

But the new manager of Dominick's — a former Marine, according to River Forest Police Lt. Craig Rutz — promptly took down Frederick, who needed an ambulance for his injuries and was taken to the hospital before being arrested.

"They got into a scuffle, and Frederick was flattened out," Rutz said.

Meanwhile, Christopher was sitting outside in the Dominick's parking lot, waiting for his uncle to come out. As the ambulance and several cop cars pulled up to take care of his uncle, Christopher apparently had no idea anything was wrong inside.

So when a woman pulled into the parking lot in the middle of the affair and ran up to the Redbox vending machine, Christopher saw an opportunity to profit.

He allegedly went to the woman's unlocked car and stole her purse, then opened up her trunk and started digging through it. When he was spotted, Christopher jumped back into his car with the purse and sped away down North Avenue.

"He didn't even know his uncle had just been arrested for retail theft," Rutz said. "The girl's car was 10 feet from the ambulance with his uncle."

Christopher was spotted by police about half a block away, and he threw the purse out of the car's window. Christopher was stopped and arrested a few blocks away, charged with burglary. Frederick was charged with retail theft.

Violet Aura

Posted: December 31st, 2010 11:42 AM

@Ram: It always intrigues me what someone takes away from a particular crime story. Your sympathy for the exposure of these two is why I no longer refer to myself as a liberal. Let me guess: you have a beautiful 1890 Victorian in RF and are untouched by this sort of thing so you can afford to be magnanimous about thieves...I would agree with you if we were talking about victimless crimes, but these dudes may visit the area in the near future and I'd like to know who they are.

Jim M.

Posted: December 30th, 2010 6:55 PM

Re: Ram from Oak Park. Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow!! It's about time WJ started including mug shots of these F#$KING lowlifes. Law abiding citizens have a right to safety. Another bleeding heart idiot !!!!!

Violet Aura

Posted: December 30th, 2010 5:10 PM

@Diplomatic, AKA Cupcake, AKA Ms./Mr. Flagg: What does "numbed down" mean? Even "dumbed down" would be confusing for that context...And my second-to-the-last sentence is fine and dandy, so don't hate, 'mkay? You obviously have skin in the game for some reason. Either you know these geniuses or feel like YOU are being dissed by their picture for some odd reason. You really need to get a grip, honey bunches of oats. It ain't that serious! (OMFG! I wrote "ain't"!!!!)

Ram from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2010 1:46 PM

Sorry, I do not think it is right to parade the pictures in public, even if they did the thefts. This is not much different from some countries which parade their convicts or execute them in public. There are laws in countries like Austria that withold such information from public.

S. Holmes

Posted: December 30th, 2010 10:42 AM

I'm not a detective but by the looks of Frederick I'm guessing the new Dominick's manager is right handed.

Johnny Love from OP

Posted: December 30th, 2010 10:12 AM

Can't we all just group hug and get along. I just want to have a nice sit down family meal with the Flagg family on New Years eve. Amen brothers

Another Thought from Oak Park

Posted: December 30th, 2010 8:43 AM

Not to justify anything that these two criminals did and definitely not to get into the fray on here, but did anyone notice in the article that the woman at the redbox left her purse in her car and her car unlocked. Not her fault that Christopher did what he did but wow, that was not the smartest move on her part either.

Diplomatic

Posted: December 29th, 2010 8:44 PM

For you, what you THINK you "know" will "suffice," when indeed it's what you DON'T "know" that you're content with. Stop THEORIZING in your FANTASTICAL and DELUSIONAL world over OPINIONS. Learn to read BETWEEN the lines, and NOT digest what you're being spoon fed! No need to theorize because THAT IS MY POINT.

Diplomatic

Posted: December 29th, 2010 8:40 PM

..(continued)I'm NOT saying that the ALLEGED actions AREN'T wrong. My problem is with people like YOU who ASSUME they KNOW what happened based upon OPINIONS and jump to WILD conclusions (i.e. "obviously leave the house" >>where the hell did you pull that from?) without FACTUAL INFORMATION.

Diplomatic

Posted: December 29th, 2010 8:35 PM

Wow, I didn't know that we were numbing ourselves down to grammatical errors. If so, I would've told you that it is grammatically incorrect to begin a sentence with the word "and." If you haven't noticed, you've done it TWICE already. Not to mention that within your second to last sentence (if you can call it that); you're having some SERIOUS subject-verb agreement issues "SWEETIE." :) Now back to the subject at hand... You've consistently proven my point time and time again...

Violet Aura

Posted: December 29th, 2010 7:14 PM

@Diplomatic: I really am concerned at the people like you, minimizing this behavior. I have my own theory on why you are doing it, but suffice it to say that if you live in OP or RF and enable this to go on under your roof, you are part of the problem. These are two members of a family who obviously leave the house looking for people to prey on. Last week in RF, a man (in genitalia only) punched a woman in the face and stole her purse. This is the viciousness of these types of attacks. Hell no!

Violet Aura

Posted: December 29th, 2010 7:09 PM

@Diplomatic: To paraphrase the Pointer Sisters, they are family, honey. And I said 'for once' because so many times people come over to OPRF to pull this nonsense and this time Freddie met with the wrong dude! And what does any possible mental health issue have to do with this? So no one should get arrested or detained if they have issues? Oh and sweetie, when calling someone an idiot, make sure your spelling is on point: it's TOO, not TO. LOL!

Diplomatic

Posted: December 29th, 2010 6:30 PM

@ Violet: it never ceases to amaze me, how ppl take a VERY opinionated, ONE sided article and RUN with it as THEIR TRUTH. Articles ALWAYS have HIDDEN innuendos (i.e. "The FLAGG FAMILY decided...") which is what JANE was referring to. You're just to ignorant to realize and see when a story is one sided. Do you hear anything from the family or from the2ALLEGED? Can you be SURE that there aren't any MENTAL illnesses? NO! Don't personalize the story (i.e. "for once..."). AS IF YOU were there!

Peter Griffin from Quahog

Posted: December 29th, 2010 6:25 PM

I loved his gangsta rap version of "SURFIN' BIRD"

Eric from Oak Park

Posted: December 29th, 2010 4:29 PM

I'm fairly certain the top guy is a famous hip hop rapper that my son has on his iPod. I think his rap name is " D.J. Freddy-Flagg the Energizer Bunny ". Pretty lame that he copied the whole "big Band-Aid on my face look" from Nelly. I suppose he is in lock-up right now writing his latest rap: " I rolled up on Dom'Nicks with my boys, to cap some batt'ries fo all dos Toys. But dat Manager on Duty, sheeaa, he done kicked ma Booty!

Jeff Cone from Oak Park

Posted: December 29th, 2010 3:37 PM

One more thought- Save time and court costs. Put a shovel in their hands and have them shovel(the next snowfall) all the way down Lake street from Maywood to Austin Blvd. Then give them their batteries and a tank of gas for their getaway car. Damn are they naughty little bad guys.

Jeff Cone from Oak Park

Posted: December 29th, 2010 3:27 PM

Stupid is, as stupid does! What a couple of losers!What you in for brother? Oh, I got caught stealing some "Everyready" batteries from Dominicks and my nephew couldn't drive the getaway car properly. OMG Lol! Frederick and Christopher you silly bad criminals. Nice Job

Hmmm

Posted: December 28th, 2010 7:25 PM

Hey why did you change the photo of the perp? His name on his shirt is gone.

Mp from River Forest, IL

Posted: December 28th, 2010 6:50 PM

Jane, u have to be joking is right. Please, why should their name be protected. So what u are saying is that there should never be anyone's name in the paper because of a crime? They did the crime, they new the price. Plus, u think they care if their name is in the paper....Please

Violet Aura

Posted: December 28th, 2010 2:52 PM

@Velcro: My bad--he was STEALING batteries. Boy do I have egg on my face! And he's gonna sue because for once someone was there who took down his azz? Wow, interesting how you twist into a pretzel to defend this type of scummy behavior and actually act as if the store is at fault. Wow, just wow...

squeaky from oak park

Posted: December 28th, 2010 2:40 PM

Great story. Would the store really be liable for minor injuries sustained in a fight resulting from shoplifting? I would think getting a jury to buy into an award would be a tall order.

velcro from oak park

Posted: December 28th, 2010 2:13 PM

Violet - Uncle wasn't stealing a purse. Reading comprehension is useful. I guarantee the store and manager will see a lawsuit for the injuries.

KC from Oak Park

Posted: December 28th, 2010 1:26 PM

Word to that Violet Aura!!

Violet Aura

Posted: December 28th, 2010 12:43 PM

@Jane: You're joking, right? Uncle Freddie and his genius nephew were the ones "named" because they both decided to steal women's purses at the same time and both (luckily) were caught. Who has said that their whole family is being blamed? I honestly fear for our society when you have that mentality of denial. If someone snatches purses, their name should damn well be in the paper!

Jane from Oak Park

Posted: December 28th, 2010 12:39 PM

It's not fair to name and blame the whole family because of these two. Very biased reporting.

Violet Aura

Posted: December 28th, 2010 12:39 PM

@WR Hearst: And the sensational part of the story is...? The pics of the perps? Yeah, where is some warm and fuzzy stories about PUPPIES?! We need puppies and fast. @Hmm: LOL! I didn't even notice that Uncle Freddie had his name emblazoned on his shirt. And the Darwin Award goes to...LOL!!!!!!

W.R. Hearst

Posted: December 28th, 2010 12:18 PM

Please leave the sensational news to the Sun Times. You're better than that, Mr. Editor.

Hmmm

Posted: December 28th, 2010 7:27 AM

Flagg robbed a place with his name on his shirt? LOL what a you-name-it!

Violet Aura