Rights on both sides should be respected

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

I believe that the Second Amendment gives people the right to own a gun. However, my wish is that we also respect and support the rights of those who wish to keep the peace through mediation, negotiation and legal measures.

Joyce Champelli

Member of the Gun Rights and Responsibilities Commission

Oak Park

Ray Simpson from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: December 16th, 2013 6:38 PM

@ Bob Simpson ( No relationship that I know ) The history of concealed carry is contrary to your supposition. You need a reason to go through the hassle of the CC permit to say nothing of the expense. Hours of classes and much scrutiny. To much BS for me - I now shoot with a camera and no one gives me any crap. Just do not tell me that I cannot go to the range if I want.

Jim Coughlin from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: December 16th, 2013 3:36 PM

UC: How about you just sharing the facts relating to those "stories" you believe the media loves to bury?

Uncommon Sense

Posted: December 16th, 2013 1:46 PM

Jim, there is thing called Google. You should try it sometimes. http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/10-potential-mass-shootings-that-were-stopped-by-someone-wit

Jim Coughlin from OakPark

Posted: December 16th, 2013 1:07 PM

Don't keep the facts to yourself. Please share the stories of the number of mass shootings that were stopped by an armed citizen.

Uncommon Sense

Posted: December 16th, 2013 11:52 AM

Bob, there have been a number of mass shootings that were stopped by an armed citizen. Of course, the media loves to bury this fact in their stories. Further, what FACTS do you have to show concealed carry makes streets more dangerous other than your own preconceived notions? What % of shootings are committed by concealed carry holders? I'll await your answer....

Brian Slowiak from Oak Park

Posted: December 16th, 2013 11:09 AM

If memory serves me correct, at one of our meetings, I asked if I as a retired police officer who carries a firearm is under any moral, ethical or legal responsibility to come to the aid of any one in the room who needed protection w/my firearm. John Barrett said I was obligated to come to his defense. If I recall correctly Ken Trainor said if I came to his defense he would not say thank you.Silence from the rest.The problem is when or where not to carry, but to whom to extend assistance.

Bob Simpson from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: December 16th, 2013 10:57 AM

Johnny Cash had some excellent advice about guns,"Don't take your guns to town." So, please gun owners, do not walk the streets of our town or any other with your guns. Concealed carry simply puts more guns on the street and makes our communities more dangerous. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you ought to do it.

Ray Simpson from Oak Park, Illinois

Posted: December 15th, 2013 11:17 AM

@ Joyce - defending ones self in the face of grave and lethal danger is a legal measure. We are not asking for any reduction in the legal requirements for the use of such force - only the guarantee that that option will not be eliminated.

Dominick Ahrens

Posted: December 10th, 2013 11:26 PM

Joyce - The people using guns to solve disputes aren't the ones who would normally utilize mediation, negotiation and legal means to achieve an end. They typically scoff at the civilized resolution methods you mention, and given the circumstances under which most of the gun deaths occur are less than likely to incorporate them into disputes over drug sales "turf" or while committing armed robberies. As for carrying a gun for self defense, once a human has shown behavior that indicates enough of a threat of death or great bodily harm to another the time for discussion and identification is over, as they have shown a willingness to abandon the Rousseauian social contract that allows us to interact politely and we have now jumped into Hobbes's natural existence. At that point mediation and negotiation are not needed, an immediate ability to stop a threat is.

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad