Two men attempt to lure teenagers in Oak Park

One neighborhood mother wants to see more police after this and other recent incidents

By Devin Rose

An attempt by two men over the weekend to lure teenagers into their car has left one Oak Park mother encouraging her neighbors to be on alert.

Crystal Brown, who lives in the 1000 block of North Lombard Avenue said her neighbor's 16-year-old daughter was walking Sunday afternoon with a friend on LeMoyne Parkway when two men in a silver car began to follow them. The men tried to say things to get the girls into the car, she said.

In an email to her neighbors and her resident beat officer, Brown, who is the contact person for her block, said the girls were able to run away. But she'd like to see increased police presence in her neighborhood, where there have been other incidents that, she says, are cause for concern.

Last month, a man sitting in a vehicle near Hatch School tried to start a conversation with a child walking on Harvey Avenue, which was one of several similar incidents in three days. One of Brown's 9-year-old triplets knew the child involved in the incident, and Brown said she's told her kids to be alert, travel with others and not talk to strangers.

As a result of these and other incidents Brown mentioned in the neighborhood over the last five years—including one neighbor being held up at gunpoint and the same neighbor's relative getting mugged multiple times in daylight—Brown said she wants to see more police patrolling her neighborhood.

In the email, Brown invited her neighbors to attend the next community policing meeting, which will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 20 at Hatch School, 1000 N. Ridgeland Avenue.

For information about other neighborhood meetings, visit http://bit.ly/10cEPG.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: December 4th, 2011 6:35 PM

realitysux, who started the tsa and supplied the security? These people fall under federal just like the post office, but who started the post office? You will not find the answers easily by doing a google.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: December 4th, 2011 6:33 PM

rez, if you can show how prints are helpful to finding an abducted child, then I will be in agreement. There have been a lot of news of abducted kids and never do they find them from finger prints.

rez

Posted: December 4th, 2011 4:46 PM

Well, Tom, I don't know who you are either, despite the fact you post your name, but I will say that I'd rather up my kids chances of survival. Yes, you cannot always know what's going to happen, and bad things do happen, but there are degrees of measures one can take, and it's about which degree of risk one can take. I'll do everything I can to protect my own, even if that means at the expense of others, because I'm not to lose someone and regret not doing everything I could to protect them.

Tom Scharre

Posted: December 2nd, 2011 1:34 AM

Well, now I am being sucked into one of those things I do not wish to be sucked into. But, I guess my human pride, gets in the way. "Rez," whoever you are, when they get to your house and demand answers, perhaps you will think differently. We cannot eliminate risk from our lives. People who propose to do so are deluded & dangerous. Love your children. Wish them well. And when, regretfully, they die of difficult circumstances, mourn them respectfully.

realitysux

Posted: December 2nd, 2011 1:23 AM

Q from oak park- Not sure where you get your "facts" from but i would try a new source unless you like making completely idiotic claims. TSA workers are federal employees, so not sure how you can claim they exist because a friend of Bush got the contract. Do you actually understand the difference between private and public employees?

rez

Posted: December 2nd, 2011 12:51 AM

Tom, at least we wouldn't have to worry about our kids facing the barrel of some thugs Glock, or have 15 thugs jump a couple teens, cause they can... a little police state goes a long way. It's amazing how quick thugs decide to stop committing crimes when they know they maybe "knee-capped".

Brendan

Posted: December 1st, 2011 7:47 PM

HOW DID THIS STORY GET BURIED? THIS SHOULD BE FRONT PAGE NEWS BEFORE KIDS ARE ABDUCTED!

Tom Scharre

Posted: December 1st, 2011 5:21 PM

Well, "rez", isn't this exactly what is wrong with a democracy? If enough people vote for a police state they will get it. And the rest of us remain merely disgruntled. And eff us anyway, we do not have the best interests of the kids at heart.

CeCe

Posted: November 30th, 2011 6:44 AM

First, everyone should be aware at all times. Second, if Ms. Brown stated or wrote, "they tried to say things," it should be in quotes; if this is Rose's summary, should you go back to English 101 or did they actually stutter or have another speech impediment? This could help identify them.

rez

Posted: November 29th, 2011 10:26 PM

I would much rather have more big brother then have kids go missing. I would much rather have a police state then have kids go missing, or have guns pulled on people...

Q from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 9:43 PM

Joe Friday, we don't need everyone ID'd. I hate everything the Nazi's did, and I don't want any of what they did in the Country I served. We already have the TSA because Bush's friend got the contract. When they want more money, they create new ways to keep you safe. Safe from what?? Remember duct tape and plastic for your windows,parachutes for tall buildings? They government scared the sheep. Obama did not repeal the patriot act. Homeland security is a Nazi creation along with Vere R ur papers

Joe Friday

Posted: November 29th, 2011 9:29 PM

You don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of it. Fair enough.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 9:19 PM

Joe Friday, last week the Director was out at the Field Office in Chicago, with some Bear's, promoting the importance. You don't need to be an expert to know what the use is for. I'm not in agreement for our nation to all be on file except for criminals who then get finger printed.

Joe Friday

Posted: November 29th, 2011 8:28 PM

@ Q. Just pointing it out. The F.B.I came up with the app. They deal with this all the time. They are the experts, not me or you.

Q from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 8:02 PM

Joe Friday, how does finger printing every child help find a child if the child goes missing? It seems there would just be a lot of finger prints on file of everyone in the country except illegals. Current pictures with digital cameras can be quickly put on the internet for Law Enforcement of a missing child.

Jose from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 7:27 PM

Does anyone remember the move Back to the Future part II? Recall Marty goes back to his home town only to find it is a crime infested ruined town. Sometimes I feel this is the direction Oak Park is headed. Now if I only had a time machine I could make some changes...

Violet Aura

Posted: November 29th, 2011 5:00 PM

No description of the TWO perps? Or their car? How. Very. Odd...

Joe Friday

Posted: November 29th, 2011 4:52 PM

Every year, thousands of children go missing. The FBI's Free Child ID App can help. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fbi-child-id/id446158585?mt=8

Q from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 3:14 PM

Chris from Oak Park, that would be the answer, and then the Police would just need to deal with the criminals in Oak Park, and all would be good, but we aren't suppose to live as a gated community, and these are just some of the things that result.

Parent

Posted: November 29th, 2011 3:06 PM

Whos to say it wasnt a resident?

Chris from Oak Park

Posted: November 29th, 2011 3:03 PM

Put a wall around the village. Only residents get in.