Rev. James Francis O'Malley, 82, pastor emeritus of St. James Parish in Highwood, died on Nov. 8, 2012. He was a priest of the Archdiocese of Chicago for 56 years and most recently resided at Holy Family Villa in Palos Park. Fr. O'Malley was born in Evanston and graduated from St. Gertrude Catholic School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary, and the University of Saint Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. He was ordained in 1956 by Samuel Cardinal Stritch.
Fr. O'Malley began his priestly ministry as the assistant pastor of St. Giles Parish in Oak Park, where he served from 1956 to '64. For the next 16 years, he served as assistant pastor at parishes on Chicago's South and Southwest sides. These included St. Nicholas of Toelentine (1964-69), St. Barnabas (1969-70), St. Ambrose (1970-72), and St. Columbanus (1972-1980). From 1974 to 1980, he was the pastor of St. Columbanus. For two years beginning in 1980, Fr. O'Malley was the associate pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes on Ashland Avenue.
He was named pastor of St. Joseph the Worker in Wheeling in 1982 and served there until 1994, when he began an assignment that lasted eight years at St. James in Highwood, serving for the first three years as associate pastor and then pastor. When he retired from active ministry in 2002, he was named pastor emeritus.
Fr. James O'Malley is survived by his siblings, the Rev. John O'Malley S.J., Thomas, William, Edward, Mary Rose Ghislandi, and Joanne Kelly.
Funeral services were held at St. James in Highwood with visitation on Nov. 13. Retired Auxiliary Bishop Raymond Goedert was the main celebrant at a funeral Mass on Nov. 14, followed by interment at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines.