Feds bust Oak Park man for dealing crack

Updated:

By Ben Meyerson

Chicago Journal Editor

An Oak Park man was arrested by federal agents this week for dealing hundreds of grams of crack cocaine, including out of his apartment on South Oak Park Avenue.

Kevin L. White, 48, was one of 31 people arrested as the result of a two-year sting centering on the Traveling Vice Lords' crack- and heroin-dealing activity in and around the West Side of Chicago.

White was nabbed on nine counts of selling crack between February 2009 and May 2010, four of which happened in Oak Park.

According to the charges, White sold a total of 244.6 grams of cocaine in four sales in Oak Park.

The FBI said they used an informant to buy the drugs from White in all nine counts.

The informant, according to the charging documents, was in fact a ranking member of the Traveling Vice Lords who cooperated with the FBI in exchange for money — more than $25,000 to date.

The FBI backed up their informant's information with surveillance and other evidence, including a wiretap of White's phone.

Violet Aura

Posted: December 4th, 2010 12:32 PM

I don't think anyone said such a thing, but thanks for playing. You appear to have a 'whatever' mentality. So it's always been here, who cares, shrug shoulders, and passivity reigns. Curbside service? Hell to the naw! We are seeing flagrant 'tudes with this, coupled with people like you who feel it's no biggie. I have seen young men with their cell phones loitering in front of apt. buildings. Should not happen. Sorry if you approve of this but perhaps you could take that somewhere else...

undefined from undefined

Posted: December 4th, 2010 10:21 AM

drugs in OAK PARK? what? when did this happen? Really people, why are you sooooo shocked? Oak Park is a dirty little secret, the truth has just been hidden for a LONG time. get used to robberies, burglaries, drugs. they have been here all along and will continue to be here. Wait, i know how we can eliminate crime in oak park. lets move the town next to wheaton! yes, great idea! or maybe we can , ahem, allow the police to ignore the 4th amendment and ransack peoples houses!! dang, no can do

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 7:23 PM

Oh, and for the record: my outrage is 100% genuine, especially after reading your remark. "Fringe racism" how? Because I dared to deride a gangbanger because he happened to be a person of color? You must either have liberal White guilt or think I possess it and will be intimidated by an accusation of bigotry. Sorry, my man. I am of mixed heritage and I don't shy away from criticizing someone who doesn't happen to be White. Wow, just wow. This kind of mentality is terrifying...

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 7:19 PM

I meant RESEMBLE this dude, as in engage in this sort of thing and really add to life. Really contribute to the world and help humanity!

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 7:18 PM

@Anon: Actually, I lived through this sort of thing more than once and it was hell. It has nothing to do with being a "busybody," it has to do with wanting to live a decent life without addicts hanging around where you live. I guess you are comfortable with that caliber of life; if I didn't know better, I would think that you remember this genius or have gangsta relatives. You would be a nightmare neighbor with that 'tude!

Anon

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 5:14 PM

Violet Aura: No surprise you're back here with your faux outrage and fringe racism. You're rather pathetic, actually. I hope I'm not/would hate to be your neighbor. How annoyed by you they must be. Violet Aura the neighborhood busy body. Get a life already.

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 10:42 AM

@Growup: Not only do you need to grow up, but stop enabling/apologizing for bad behavior. Unless you think gangs are just splendid...Hmm...Maybe YOU'RE a gangbanger or have relatives in that line of work? LOL

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 10:41 AM

As I was saying, I no longer live in OP but if apologists like you are in the majority, thank goodness for it! People who defend this type of behavior CONTRIBUTE to the problem! As I said before, the Austin 'hood is only blocks aways from OP but when people don't participate in their own community and think the police have to do everything, then we see these kinds of problems time and again. OP was always very active community-wise. Sounds like enablers have moved in...

Violet Aura

Posted: November 23rd, 2010 10:37 AM

@Growup: Wow, I do believe you used the word 'racist' four times in your post. Is that your MO: you throw that word around enough times and think it obscures the truth? The dewd had hundreds of grams of crack on him and was a gang member: where's the racism in that? You are just defensive because you are probably Black, embarrassed because the pic shows the dewd's race, and someone is criticizing him. I don't live in OP anymore, by the way. *To be continued*

GrowUp

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 2:07 PM

Well, see, Violet, now you're just making up racist crap in order to "support" your racist conclusion, which is what I suspected from you in the first place. Oak Park really has no place for people like you.Try letting go of your racism and look at the facts next time.

Violet Aura

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 1:14 PM

@Growup: Then why did the article mention the bust in terms of grams? Coke is sold by the gram, no? And if there were "hundreds of grams" in this guy's possession, would they just say--three ounces or whatever that translates to? The fact that he "only" did four sales in OP in small comfort when you think of the fact that he was a member of this gang, living in that apt. (no doubt packing some "heat"), probably having his peeps coming by regularly...Did he work and did the landlord care if not?

GrowUp

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 12:56 PM

"No way somebody is dealing that much crack without neighbors / landlord NOTICING. This is scary."To reiterate what the article reported: there were only four sales in OP over a period of 16 months, and the amounts suggest that they were B2B sales.That's nothing. No one is going to notice that low level of traffic, nor is it anything to be scared about.Be more worried about the heroin being dealt and used near Harlem and Lake.

Kelly from Oak Park

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 9:14 AM

I agree with Violet - why not post the ADDRESS?? Resident have a right to know what's going on. The landlord should be prosecuted as well for allowing unusual traffic. No way somebody is dealing that much crack without neighbors / landlord NOTICING. This is scary.

j.oakpark from oak park

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 7:43 AM

from the Oak Leaves:By BILL DWYER bdwyer@pioneerlocal.comOne Oak Park man and two Bellwood men were among nearly 100 alleged street gang members arrested Wednesday by federal and local law enforcement agents for drug-trafficking.Kevin White, 48, of 1041 S. Oak Park Ave., Apt. 2E, Oak Park; Jalal "Jay/J" Spearman, 33, of Bellwood; and Tommy Berry, 33, of Bellwood, were among those targeted in a two-year investigation of heroin and cocaine dealing by members of the Traveling Vice Lords street

Lawn Order from Oak Park

Posted: November 21st, 2010 6:51 PM

The question asked by Violet is a valid one. Why isn't the address on OP Ave mentioned? If you have the information please print it. If I lived nearby I'd want to know what is going on. The landlord also has some culpability here, as do some of the immediate neighbors. What say you??

Violet Aura

Posted: November 20th, 2010 9:20 PM

I'm waiting for someone to defend this person. OP has gang members living in apts. apparently and I am surprised that no one has anything to say about this.

Violet Aura

Posted: November 20th, 2010 6:16 PM

Well isn't that just the most special thing? And since when is the address not posted? As far as I am concerned, the landlord is also responsible. S/he should either have a building manager who keeps an eye out for unusual traffic and extra tenants not on lease. The landlord should also ask other residents to do the same.

Hire Local for FREE!

Post help wanted ads for FREE on the our local online job board.

Click here to place your ad