Oak Park man shot and killed

32-year-old dead after argument Sunday morning in Austin

Updated:

By Devin Rose

A 32-year-old Oak Park man was shot and killed Sunday morning following an argument in the Austin neighborhood.

Kyle Matthews, of the 400 block of South Elmwood Avenue, was shot in the chest and died at 2:50 a.m. at Loyola Hospital, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. Matthews was approached by Arthur Bettis, 26, of Maywood, who fired shots in the 5600 block of West Bloomingdale Avenue at about 2:15 a.m., police said.

Bettis was charged with first degree murder.

concerned citizen

Posted: February 16th, 2012 8:06 PM

OP guy why dont you shut up! In those suburban high schools where you think its safe people get shot, so are you telling young people they shouldnt go to school? It wasn't his fault, he was a grow man who could do or go where he wanted. Obviously you dont know the whole story. Get your facts straight.

rez

Posted: November 10th, 2011 1:19 AM

Really denise? no such thing as good or bad neighborhoods? Compare the crime stats between Austin and, say, Edison Park, and tell me that you have an equal chance of being a victim of violent crime. Kyle's passing is a huge tragedy, but lets not let it skew the facts. Working for the P O, you have to go some places that others are not required to, it's not the same. Yes, if you want to try to avoid gun crime, steer away from areas that have higher incidents of gun crime. RIP Kyle.

denise from chicago

Posted: November 9th, 2011 9:12 PM

R. I. P. Kyle Matthews From your family at the US Postal Service

denise from chicago

Posted: November 9th, 2011 9:10 PM

People should stop tryin to make it seem like if u go out n enjoy yourself, where ever you may be, that u should limit your time because its late, or steer away from certain neighborhoods because they are not safe, I work at the p o and what I should not go to work and deliver my rounds just because I may be in a unsafe neighborhood. I don't think so, there are ASSHOLES all over this city, OP guy , let's just hope we all never encounter one.

denise from chicago

Posted: November 9th, 2011 8:57 PM

I know Kyle and his dad Kyle Sr, there is no such thing as a good or bad neighborhood, there are people who make silly choices because they have a weapon. Last a co worker was on his way home at 7pm in the evening , he happens to live in a middle class neighborhood in the burbs, with only single family Homes, he got to his front door , was approached from behind for his house keys, when he refused and threw the keys on the roof, they shot him at close range through his liver, in a middle class

Kyles Cousin

Posted: November 7th, 2011 2:43 PM

For whatever reason we all will leave this earth. For everything God allows there is a reason. God obviously has bigger and better plans for Kyle and one day the same for us all. As a family member, it hurts to have to read such BS. PLEASE JUST LET HIM REST IN PEACE. Key word PEACE. LEAVE HIM OUT OF IT.

OP Guy

Posted: November 3rd, 2011 1:58 AM

Kyle's friend. Not once did I say or imply that Kyle deserved what he got. I exercised my rights to free speech not to drag the victim, or anyone else through the mud, but to talk about a type of violent crime that concerns a lot of people, and how people can make life a little safer for themselves. I'm sorry that upsets you, and that you can't see the possible good that could come from the discourse.

OP Guy

Posted: November 3rd, 2011 1:43 AM

Kyle's friend, This is a public comments section. Read my comments again, I've said nothing disrespectful about Kyle. You're obviously emotional, and for good reason, and you're free to believe that god controls people's fate, just like I'm free to believe people are responsible for their own actions. The only reason I'm responding to your comments is because your comments misrepresent me and the sentiment of my posts, which have been to offer constructive discourse.

Silly

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 10:44 PM

If guns were outlawed, less people would perish from them. Just sayin

Also a friend of Kyle's..contd...

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 10:40 PM

I wish you would leave well enough alone! Regardless of you FEELING it was the killers choice, Kyle did not deserve what happen to him. Regardless of you feeling he was in a place with high crime and intoxicated individuals, AGAIN Kyle did NOT deserve what happen to him.. The mere fact that you feel the need to exercise your right to free speech on something you know nothing about is indicative of your inability to make educated decisions about things that don't concern you!

GUNZ KILL

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 10:28 PM

God has no guns.

Also a friend of Kyle's that wishes OP Guy would shut up and get a life!

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 10:24 PM

You know what, it's people like you that make me sick.. simply because you have nothing else to do but what you are doing right now...Why can't you be like everyone else and pay your respects. What's wrong with a simple "I'm sorry for your loss" or nothing at all, Bottom line, your opinion is unwarranted...like I said it was his time to go because GOD was ready for him..Shame on you for going back and forth with a grieving person making comments on a situation you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about!

OP Guy

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 8:59 PM

If discourse leads to better decisions, and it helps others make decisions to stay out of harms way... that is the highest form of respect to Kyle I can think of.

OP Guy

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 8:56 PM

Cont. There was no disrespect intended for Kyle from me. Everyone makes choices and takes the risks they take. You may not have control over when you go, but you can make educated risks if you are trying to avoid danger. People who stay to safe areas are very rarely victims of gun related crime. With respect to personal belief, god had nothing to do with Kyle's death, and the choices the killer made had everything to do with it.

OP Guy

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 8:25 PM

Kyle's friend; I guess you're responding to me judging from your quote. My post was not a judgement on your friend, it was a simple observation that if you hang out in an area that has a high level of gun crime, especially in the early hours around people that are getting intoxicated, you are more likely to be a victim of gun violence. You friend was killed by a gun, and would you not say that the killer is a thug? I'm sorry for the family and friend's loss, but the truth is the truth.

john murtagh from oak park

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 8:09 PM

Friend of Kyle -- I am sorry for your loss. He is in our prayers.

Also a friend of Kyle's from Oak Park

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 8:07 PM

AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THE LAST THING PEOPLE WHO CARE SUCH A GREAT DEAL ABOUT HIM NEEDS IS FOR PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELVES TO POST OPINIONS ON THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT....GUNS AND THUGS MY ASS, IF AND WHEN IT'S YOUR TIME YOU TOO WILL TRANSITION ON AND WILL HAVE NO CONTROL OVER HOW IT HAPPENS. PEOPLE WALK AROUND IN NEIGHBORHOODS THAT ARE CONSIDERED SAFE AND LOOSE THEIR LIFE....SO SPARE ME THIS BS AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BE OPINIONATED ABOUT..RESPECT HIM, AND HIS FAMILY PLEASE!..THANKS

Also a friend of Kyle's from Oak Park

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 7:59 PM

How dare any of you make a mockery of Kyle's death. He was a grown man and had the right to hang out where he wanted, with whom he wanted, and at whatever time during the day or night that he wanted. NO ONE UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE HAD THE RIGHT TO TAKE HIS LIFE!...AND JUST AN FYI TO WHOEVER YOU ARE, REGARDLESS OF HOW WE AS HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY FEEL ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN, IT WAS HIS TIME TO GO..GOD HAS SOMETHING ELSE FAR BETTER THAN WHAT THIS WORLD HAD TO OFFER PLANNED FOR HIM...

GUNZKILL

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 12:49 PM

Laws are made for everyone, thats the concept of a law . Seatbelts were not always mandatory.

Tom from Oak Park

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 11:32 AM

that's my choice end of argument.

Tom from Oak Park

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 11:30 AM

Resident from OP, that is one of the dumbest thing I ever heard, people use guns for more than just hunting there are all types os shooting sports out there that whole families participate in, Who are you to tell them they can no longer do the things they love to do. When did we start punishing the LAW ABIDING citizens for thing that criminals do? A little bit of common sense goes a long way in our great country. If I CHOOSE to own a gun to protect my family and home from any lethal threat then

Resident from OP

Posted: November 1st, 2011 9:20 PM

JBFH, Really, you feel that a gun is going to protect yourself from your gov't or foreign enemies in this day and age?!? Is that the argument for the NRA? Then the Constitution needs another amendment (no matter when it is added). Let's say the 2nd Amendment doesn't exist. Please argue for the need to have it today. The only guns that should be legal are ones for hunting for food.

Well Endowed Enough Not to Need a Gun

Posted: November 1st, 2011 8:47 PM

"What is the argument for owning guns?" The gun nut argument goes: If everyone at the night club was armed, then either no one would have died or only the bad guy would have died. QED. If you're a moron, of course.

JohnBenFranklinHancock from Oak Park

Posted: November 1st, 2011 4:36 PM

Resident, once again misinterpreting the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. No matter when they are added, amendments become PART of the Constitution! And the main purpose of the 2nd amendment is to allow the people to proctect themselves from their government, first and foremost. Then to protect us from foreign enemies. Please seek to understand. Again, the perp of this crime likely broke every gun law you could throw at him, and will do so again.

friend of Kyles

Posted: November 1st, 2011 12:23 PM

Everyone has an opinion... i dont think he or his family would appreciate the fact that some of you are seemingly joking about the issue. Regardless, this young man has lost his life....

Resident from OP

Posted: November 1st, 2011 1:37 AM

So, if the Constitution read, "you have the right to bear arms and bombs" it would then be okay to have legal bombs? But wait, it wasn't even part of the Constitution. This was the Second Amendment (4 years after the Constitution was agreed upon). Are people seriously worried that they would not be able to overthrow their own government? This is not Syria! Our founding fathers were very concerned about being overtaken themselves by the other countries. How about we Amend it! No guns, period.

GUNZ KILL

Posted: October 31st, 2011 11:45 PM

Chicago has Guns and Thugs. Really. Lets start by taking away the guns and reforming the thugs! MHO

OP Guy

Posted: October 31st, 2011 10:47 PM

The gun issue aside, you can do a lot to avoid trouble like this by not hanging out in high gun crime areas like Austin, especially not at clubs where fights usually happen, and during the early hours. These are the kinds of chances you just don't need to take. I feel bad for the person's family, and any kids he may have left behind. Am I surprised that this happened? No. Do I expect it to happen again in a similar fashion? Yes. Chicago has guns and thugs, and people get shot in the hood.

Magnum Force from Oak Park

Posted: October 31st, 2011 10:29 PM

Another reason to go home early. Nothing good happens between midnight & 5 AM, so everyone just needs to go home to bed. Of course, it's also likely the shooter obtained the weapon illegally, and wouldn't give it up no matter what law GUNZ KILL wants to pass.

Resident from OP

Posted: October 31st, 2011 9:49 PM

What is the argument for owning guns? How is it a safer place with guns?

GUNZ KILL IS AN IDIOT!

Posted: October 31st, 2011 8:12 PM

The name says it all.

GUNZ KILL

Posted: October 31st, 2011 7:23 PM

This passion and disgust you have is just WHAT IS NEEDED. If people would wake up to the reality they will have the same and something WILL CHANGE. I DO NOT APOLOGIZE TO YOU. I have already offered my apologies about this story. Now figure out a way to find a way to adjust the agony countless people suffer EVERY DAY!!!

Disgusted

Posted: October 31st, 2011 6:15 PM

@ GUNZ KILL-- Seriously, shut your face for once in awhile. You're out of bounds in the name of proving your point. Call this guy's family and go into your agenda and see how much they want to hear from you...he's dead. You're really an idiot.

GUNZ KILL

Posted: October 31st, 2011 5:18 PM

Now that you brought it to my attention, maybe I'll make some more happen. Ha Ha Ha Wake up people.

KNIVES KILL TOO

Posted: October 31st, 2011 3:55 PM

Way to use the tragic passing of a man to suit your own little agenda.

GUNZ KILL

Posted: October 31st, 2011 12:53 PM

Sorry to hear about this story. So sad as are all the gun related deaths in the news. We must act yesterday to make our society a safer and more peaceful place.