The leaves are making their way to the ground and quickly enough to the streets. The village has released its reminder about the program and how residents should plan their leaf pick up.
The annual fall leaf collection program is scheduled for Oct. 21 – Dec. 5 with seven pickups planned for each section of Oak Park.
Residents should rake leaves into the street at least 18 inches from the curb the day before the scheduled pickup dates. Leaves raked into the street are pushed into large piles during the night, and then collected the following day.
Residents who miss a scheduled pickup date should keep their leaves on the parkway until the night before the next scheduled pickup. Sweepers will be scheduled to run at the end of the collection program to clean up any residue.
The village asks residents to follow these rules:
- Rake leaves out the day before the scheduled pickup date.
- Leaves only — do not add brush, grass clippings or yard waste.
- Do not park on or near a pile of leaves, which can hinder leaf removal operations. Heat from a car also could ignite the leaves.
- Rake leaves onto side streets whenever possible. Try to avoid major thoroughfares where piles of leaves might create traffic hazards.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to cul de sacs or traffic diverters. The equipment needs room to operate.
- Keep catch basins clear of raked leaves to avoid flooding.
- Inform landscape services of the leaf collection schedule.
- Obey all parking restrictions. Regulations will be strictly enforced.
- Dampen piles after raking to avoid leaves being blown by the wind.
- Consider composting or using the leaves as garden mulch as an alternative to raking.
Trick or treat tips
The official hours to trick or treat on Halloween this Thursday are from 3-7 p.m. Parents are urged by the village government to accompany young children, give and accept only wrapped and packaged candy and inspect all treats.
To ensure safety the village also suggests using make-up instead of masks, wearing flame retardant costumes, wearing light clothing or reflective tape, and walking within one's own neighborhood only to homes that are familiar either during the day or while carrying a flashlight at night.
Hire Local for FREE!
Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.
|Photo store||Contact us|
|Submit Letter To The Editor|
|Place a Classified Ad|